1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Comic Series

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Double the Turtle action with a some extra Ghostbusters thrown in for good measure!

Lines are being drawn. There's no going back.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #40

[​IMG]

Story by: Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, Bobby Curnow
    Art by: Mateus Santolouco

Description: Mutants new and old make for a combustible mix! The Turtles are stuck in the middle of an unfolding brawl that could affect mutantkind forever! Will Hob’s army be destroyed before it even begins? Alopex, Nobody, Pigeon Pete...who will be the victor?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - GHOSTBUSTERS #2

[​IMG]

Story by: Erik Burnham, Tom Waltz
    Art by: Dan Schoening, Cory Smith, Charles Paul Wilson III

Description: The Turtles are stuck in the Ghostbusters dimension… along with a brand-new, all-powerful, all-crazy ghost from centuries past! The two teams will have to act fast to save the day, but what happens when Casey Jones becomes possessed?

Comments? Which book did you pick up this week?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Well I think it is safe to say that Donnie's brothers aren't going to be too happy with him after the end of this issue. Would you call what Donnie is doing a betrayal or just picking what he thinks will be the winning side between Shredder and Krang in their inevitable battle?

And I'm glad to see the Mutimals will be getting their own mini-series! That's awesome! The line-up is great and I really love what they are doing with Bebop and Rocksteady in this book. They really are a pair not to be trifled with.

3. James Harvey

Is Donatello turning his back on his brothers? The redefining story-arc starts here!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #41

[​IMG]

Art by: Cory Smith

Description: "Attack on Technodrome" begins! Time is short as Krang accelerates his plan to terraform the Earth… which will kill all who live on it! A surprise alliance results in a daring plan—and the stakes have never been higher!

Comments?

4. Wonder Woman

It seems like Leo and Raph know what Don is trying to do. The final page is great although this issue was just more set-up. Any idea what the secret mission for Bebop and Rocksteady could be? I wonder if Splinter and Shredder will inevitably team up here. That seems to be where things are going.

5. James Harvey

The epic crossover kicks into high gear!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - GHOSTBUSTERS #3

[​IMG]

Art by: Dan Schoening

Description: Time is running out for the Turtles to get home, and a new villain is determined to make life as difficult as possible for the Ghostbusters! The two teams will have to think outside of the box to save themselves ... and New York!

Comments? Which book did you pick up this week?

6. Wonder Woman

Finally getting caught up on my reading since the holidays were so busy. The mini-series is still pretty good. Does anyone know if this will be referenced in the Ghostbusters comics? It's already been mentioned at least once in the TMNT comics.

7. Fett One

Fett One Jedi Hunter

IDW canceled the Ghostbusters comic. Unless things have changed, this crossover is suppose to be the last Ghostbusters story that IDW will be publishing.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes. But it's a matter of "when" for Ghostbusters. Tom Waltz (editor on Ghostbusters, co-writer on this miniseries) and Erik Burnham (main writer of Ghostbusters, co-writer on this miniseries) have stated since the beginning that this mini series will have ramifications in both series in future stories.

Back in November, Tom Waltz confirmed the recent news of Paul Feig rebooting Ghostbusters had nothing to do with the end of the Ghostbusters ongoing series nor was it cancelled by Sony. Stopping the Ghostbusters ongoing series was a decision made by IDW based on dwindling sales and timing. In terms of timing, Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #20 was deemed a logical point to stop with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ghostbusters crossover taking place soon after. The crossover was also aimed to bring more attention to Ghostbusters comics. Waltz (Burnham, Schoening, and Delgado also said so [Schoening is the main artist and Delgado is the main colorist]) further stated other things are in the works and his ultimate goal is a Ghostbusters Volume 3 of the ongoing series.

There were already murmurs of a possible six issue GB mini series in 2015 if not a Ghostbusters Volume 3.

If GB comics were to come back, I would assume GB fans would have the TMNT fans that gave this mini a shot, a debt of gratitude. The last couple of issues of Volume 2 did in the range of 6000 units in estimated sales while both the first and second issue of this miniseries both went into second printing. #1 did 21,223 units in est. sales (Bleeding Cool reported the 30,573 unit print run sold out) and #2 did 16,624 in est. sales.

9. James Harvey

Mutants galore! The Technodrome! War!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #42

[​IMG]

Description: Part 2 of "Attack on Technodrome!" An unusual alliance makes its first moves as Fugitoid, Baxter, and Krang aim to outwit each other. The twists and turns are just beginning as the Technodrome is mere moments away from activation!

Comments?

10. Wonder Woman

A really good issue, and I'm glad the subplot with Donnie didn't end up the way we thought it was going. This issue was a bit slower, but the last few pages sets up what should be some really crazy issues coming up as all-out war finally breaks out. I really wonder how this book is going to play out after #50 when this arc wraps up. It really seems like the book is heading to wrap up all of its major plot points.

11. James Harvey

The smashing finale to the epic crossover!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - GHOSTBUSTERS #4

[​IMG]

Art by: Dan Schoening

Description: The supernaturally awesome conclusion to the blockbuster crossover is here! Ghostly forces converge on the Ghostbusters HQ, and the Turtles’ opportunity to get back home is fast dwindling! The two teams’ last-ditch efforts may come too late!

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

Things seem to wrap up pretty nice and tidy here. I wasn't expecting any big changes, since this mini-series can't do anything really big to affect the story of the main TMNT comic, but I was hoping for something a little bit more. Chi-You doesn't really progress beyond a standard diabolical villain but I still thought he was plenty fun. In all honesty I'm still geeking out over Donnie putting the proton pack on earlier. A fun mini-series for sure though.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Aside from the Interspatial Teleportation Unit, the only other thing I can think of is the mini expanded on Kitsune and Rat King's game and family. And the last page left it open that Chi-You could return and plague the Turtles in future issues of their ongoing series.

14. James Harvey

Mutants everywhere! Two new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics hit shelves today!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #43

[​IMG]

Description: "Attack on Technodrome" Part 3! A major battle on Burnow Island unfolds! Will the Turtles be able to help Fugitoid to deactivate the Technodrome before it’s too late? Meanwhile, Splinter and the Mutanimals go up against Karai and the Foot!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MUTIMALS #1 (OF 4)

[​IMG]

Story by: Paul Allor
    Art by: Andy Kuhn

Description: Old Hob, Slash, Herman the Hermit Crab, Mondo Gecko and Pigeon Pete have become a force to be reckoned with in the TMNT ongoing — and now they’ve got their own miniseries, in which their teamwork will be put to the ultimate test! When someone close to the group is kidnapped, the Mutanimals end up on an adventure more wild and dangerous than they could have imagined! What mysteries lurk at…The Null Group?

Comments?

15. Wonder Woman

First off how cool is it that Null is part of the Mutanimals mini-series? I remember him from the old TMNT ADV comic and he was frightening, and I wonder how they're going to handle him here. Hopefully they stick close to his portrayal in that old comic. As for the main book is it me or is it becoming a bit too stuffed? While I enjoyed the issue it felt like there was just so much going on with so so so many characters. The issue read fast and when I came to the cliffhanger with Donnie, Bebop and Rocksteady I was surprised that I was already at the end. There's just so much going on that it all just went by so fast.

16. James Harvey

The epic conclusion to the Technodrome saga! Do not miss it!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #44

[​IMG]

Description: "Attack on Technodrome!" Part 4! Minutes remain before the Technodrome fully activates and Shredder, Krang and the Turtles all vie for control. No side will be left unscathed in this epic climax as one character makes an ultimate sacrifice!

Comments?

17. Wonder Woman

Bebop and Rocksteady as competent bad guys is absolutely frightening. How the scene with them and Donnie kept escalating...I was sure they were going to screw up and everything would be fine, but no. Sledgehammer to the back for Donnie, and his shell gets split right open. That was such a shocking, jaw-dropping moment. It was probably one of the biggest shocks in the comics that I've recently read. And then that heartbreaking last page. Is he dead? It sure looks it. This book has been consistently great and this issue right here was a true jaw-dropper. Great, shocking issue.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nah, I bet you he's only going to in a coma. And maybe he has an out of body experience that finally convinces him of the whole supernatural side of things once and for all.

19. James Harvey

Who - or what? - is Null?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MUTIMALS #2 (OF 4)

[​IMG]

Story by: Paul Allor
    Art by: Andy Kuhn

Description: The Mutanimals have uncovered a new mutant who has undergone unspeakable trauma at the hands of the Null Group. Hob and company are determined to bring the corporation down, but already divisions begin to form in the group when deadly tactics are discussed. Will the Mutanimals be able to stay intact?

Comments?

20. Wonder Woman

It was a good issue but not a great one. The art was good though a bit too scratchy at times, like the artist was rushing against a deadline. The story is also good but this felt sorta slow and that nothing was really pushed forward. The cast here is fantastic though and the characters are just fun to read. I'm surprised at how well IDW has made these characters work. I was worried the IDW comic series was starting to suffer from character overload but it looks like they have plans set for everyone.