1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teen Titans: The Judas Contract" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 4, 2017.

?

"Teen Titans: The Judas Contract" - Discuss the animated movie and leave a rating!

1. *****

5.6%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

38.9%
  4. ***1/2

22.2%
  5. ***

5.6%
  6. **1/2

5.6%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

5.6%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I haven's seen it, but it sounds like they might be teasing the Teen Titans vs. the Titans of Myth.

• Like Like x 1
  2. juan1193

juan1193 Member

That sounds interesting! I was wondering what other stories they'd use for inspiration considering they already used the two most iconic (Terror of Trigon and The Judas Contract). Plus they already used iconic villains like Trigon, Deathstroke and Brother Blood. I'm curious to see who else pops up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they could just as easily come up with a more original story for the next movie, only loosely based on certain events from the comics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

Very good movie!! The old DC Animation is back! Teen Titans The Judas Contract IS GLORIOUS !!! Now i want more of the TT !!! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I've never been a TT reader or watcher, and I'm in my 30's, so I'm clearly not a member of the target audience. Nonetheless, I watched the movie, and wanted to share some thoughts.

The last few DCU movies had these like/not sure moments. I don't mean here is a list of moments I enjoyed, and here's a separate list of moments that I thought could be improved. It's more like here's a list of moments that I simultaneously approve of yet at the same time wonder if they missed the mark. All of the Dick/Kory stuff had me laughing, but also questioning if it was too on the nose. The flashback scene was pretty neat, but also made me wonder if it was entirely superfluous because we were already introduced to the Titans team. The Kevin Smith cameo is amusing if you know about his connection to DC, but also seems useless if you don't know. So you could say I had mixed feelings throughout the movie. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I find myself questioning some of the creative decisions? Yeah.

Because of the short run times, you really feel the constraints imposed when there are a bunch of returning characters that you try to showcase, and at the same time you try to introduce a new character to be invested in. To be fair, although I'm not the most TT-familiar guy, I feel like anyone who's watched as much DC animation already knows the gist of "Judas Contract." You can't get the full range of emotions of a betrayal story or the betrayer's internal conflict because it was already telegraphed long, long in advance. Also, Brother Blood shares all the weaknesses of a MCU villain. Regardless, it was worth watching, and I'll probably share with my family who watches three DC animated movies with me every year.

To be fair, he got addicted to social media five years ago, and has been crazy about it ever since.

Explaining his addiction for social media might be the most useful part of the otherwise-entertaining opening scene.

• Like Like x 1
    #25 BigFatHairyDeal, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  6. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I should start with the positives; first of all the animation is really, really, really frigg'n good, plus the voice acting (for the most part) is pretty solid. The main protagonists of this piece (again for the most part) do have their own sense of whimsy and charm to them, and this story here does some pretty novel scenarios with them; as well as add some nods to Young Justice from the beginning, and even has some easter eggs at the end as well.

Damian is certainly a better character (though not enough to make him more likable) so it's good to see at least some progression with him... but for crying out loud are they REALLY shipping, "Daiven?!" Come on, DC what'ya want?!

However that said, there are some problems with the film, most notably the two lead villains, Brother Blood and Deathstroke. Blood is a whole animal in himself, so for the sake of clarity I'm just gonna discuss my problem with Deathstroke alone.

First off, I am greatful for the late Miguel Ferrer's performance as Slade Wilson, his intimidating yet amusing tone really captivates the personality of the character... except this is NOT the same character we all know, Deathstroke in this movie, and the general continuity, is just a bond villain, an antagonist looking for domination back in Son of Batman, with little to no honor and dignity to him, and he's even a hypocrite; sure Slade Wilson in general is no saint (even hypocritical at other times) but at least he had a sense of honor, and he knows his boundaries, heck he even helped the Titans and other superheroes on several occasions. (much to their distrust of him of course) This, just isn't Deathstroke.

And of course the big problem a lot of people no doubt have, is that once again, this is set in the same universe as Justice League War... Look I'm not a fan of that movie either, and trust me I could do a whole review on EVERYTHING wrong with it, as well as several other films that came after; and yeah Judas Contract should be in a universe more in sync with the Pre-New52 continuity, since the context of the material for the original story would be more in favor there.

But as is, this movie is just okay, not awful, but of course not spectacular either, just decent if not mediocre at best.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Marvelman02

Marvelman02 Active Member

I think the decision to change Terra from at outright sociopath as she was in the comics to a troubled teen was a good one. It made her fate all the more tragic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If this DTV iteration of Teen Titans is popular, maybe they can have them go on other adventures with young heroes. It'll be neat if they do a storyline where they meet Superboy, or Aqualad.
    Heck, ya know who haven't been in an animation in a while? The Legion of Superheroes. Have a movie where the Teen Titans meet them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Damian can't be truly Damian without being a little bit of a jerk. The interpretations of him on The Brave & The Bold and Batman Unlimited were so sanitized, they seemed more like Bruce Wayne Jr. than Damian. But that said, Deathstroke changing his mind when he's sending a text on Damian's phone was hilarious.

Heh. Did he die? That scene was pretty ambiguous. Blood and Mayhem definitely dead. Death by smooshery.

Deathstroke was elevated by Ferrer's performance, imo. But this version of DS in a Judas Contract story, I don't know. I'm so conflicted. The whole thrust in the comic was more personal because of Grant and such. Here, he's just after the money to start up a new League of Assassins and it makes him seem petty but at the same time I'm glad they addressed the canon. I'm always leery of how good the villain(s) are going to be. It's a draw right now for me. Have to brood some more.

Yeah, when you get a flashback like that -- I also got ravenous and wanted to see more -- but they're not going to do that all at once. It's all about balancing answers, foreshadowing, the plot, the character arcs. I'm sure we'll continue to learn more about the past team members and may even see them in the 'present' part of the timeline when it's organic to the story otherwise it'll be shoehorned and potentially clog the narrative. It worked here because of Starfire and Dick's relationship arc. The bonus was getting to meet these past members.

Plus they certainly seeded the possibility Blackfire and the Gordaninans coming to Earth for Starfire and later Jericho in the teaser. Same like in JLvsTT, they seeded H.I.V.E. with the hologram training and Terra with the teaser. And who appeared in this movie - H.I.V.E. and Terra. It's the same structure. Hmm. An invasion story may be passe at this point but man it would be pretty cool to see Blackfire, Thanagarians, Gordanians, Psions, the Branx -- a big Citadel alliance -- invading Earth and shaking things up. Oh man, even introduce the Omega Men! Instead of a straight invasion story, it would be pretty cool to see a time skip and the movie starts with the Citadel having already won and subjugated Earth and it's more about the TT leading rebellion forces to overthrow them, finding where the other heroes like the JL are being held and freeing them, and a big final battle across the planet and in space. But I digress...

I agree they stripped that code of honor angle but he's being reinterpreted in animation so much, the reason it bugged me because that code was big part of the Judas Contract comic. But I thought about it, and he probably did have the code when he was in the League, but after Ra's cast him out upon discovering Batman - he got disgruntled, jealous, etc. and abandoned his code to get revenge. Regardless, look at DS in the Teen Titans animated series (who arguably was like this movie version and being obsessed with domination), in Crisis on Two Earths, in Young Justice, and in Beware The Batman. He's becoming a malleable character in animation; take some of the major traits, tweak according to the themse and needs of the series/movie, and let him loose.

• Like Like x 1
    #30 Yojimbo, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I typed a thread on Damian's character, particularly regarding out fascination with jerks, in how they are despicable but are still interesting and even entertaining enough to be likable and even feel human; but Damian lacks the understanding in context of what made those other characters so engaging and relatable. Grant Morrison and DC in general just left it to us whether we like him or not, but really it's in the responsibility for the creative team to manipulate the audience into liking or disliking a character, but that's not so much the case with Damian I'm afraid and that's why a lot of people dislike him; because he's just a jerk for the sake of being a jerk.

Kind'a wish DS wasn't in the League of Assassins in the first place; though that said I do see your argument regarding the alternative characteristics in other projects so okay.

12. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Damian is more likable (less unlikable?) in his movie largely because he doesn't come across as so Mary Sue-ish, and the story doesn't so heavily revolve around him.

13. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has released a new clip from Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, now available on Digital HD and hitting Blu-ray and DVD tomorrow. Check out the clip in the player below.

The clip is also available on The World's Finest, along with a review and additional content from the animated feature.

• Like Like x 2
  14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has released five brief interview clips featuring Kari Wahlgren (Starfire) and Sean Maher (Nightwing) discussing Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, now available on DVD and Blu-ray. Check out all five clips below.

The above content is also available on The World's Finest.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

In the opening flashback, when they have that shot of the still unnamed city -- in the back of my head I was wondering if maybe they appropriated the stock shot of Happy Harbor from YJ, flipped it, chopped the mountain, populated the city with taller buildings -- but eh, probably my mind playing tricks.

The shelter was bugging me for a day until I realized it's a nod to Mal Duncan's jazz club in the comics. heh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. #1 defender

#1 defender Member

Since i know that Yojimbo enjoys keeping track of reused designs from unrelated works in these movies, here's one i noticed in TJC. The bandana wearing person with the gun in Terra's flashback is the same design as the guy that Green Arrow fights on the luggage belt at the airport in the Green Arrow short. He might have popped up somewhere in Young Justice as well, since he seemed instantly familiar and i wouldn't have made the connection to the short if i hadn't coincidentally rewatched the shorts collection last week. A design that i've seen used multiple times is that of the young street thug with red hair, dreadlocks and a baseball cap. He appears in Superman/Shazaam, Batman Vs. Robin and somewhere in Young Justice.

• Like Like x 4
    #36 #1 defender, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, he's Vertigo's thug in YJ. I think they named him Henchy.

Yeah...Was it "Secrets" when Artemis and Zatanna go on the crime fighting spree on Halloween night?

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

He still seemed a little more abrasive to Raven, etc, than I would have expected after JLvsTT, especially considering he's been on the team for over a year but I guess he's just being Damien. Terra was still kind of unknown and a jerk to them and she'd been there a year, too.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

19. #1 defender

#1 defender Member

Riiiight, he was the fake surgeon taking the heart transplant from Kid Flash! So he was basically playing the same role as in the GA short.

Right again, he was part of a gang ambushing a jogger in the park.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

This is a good movie.

BUT the continuity in this universe is as thought out as Bryan Singer's Xmen.

In JL War, no one knows that Batman was real but yet Nightwing was in a famous team with other sidekicks as Robin.

Unless Son of Batman takes place 5 years after War which makes Throne of Atlantis also 5 years later meaning the JL was called Super 7 for 5 years.