1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teen Titans Go! To The Movies" Theatrical Feature Pre-Relase News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by CoolEric158, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

TTG's animation is indeed Flash. However, I believe the only Flash films that have even gotten limited runs were the first two Equestria Girls films, both of which were originally intended as DTV. Unless this is the same (which I think is a very valid possibility considering the notice), I strongly doubt it'll have the same style. The Emoji Movie had better animation because it was made by a major animation studio and was always meant as a mainstream wide release, this likely won't even be that.

2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Sponge Out of Water was mostly 2D as well. It wasn't until it was getting close to the end when the CGI started. The ads were a bit misleading.

3. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

But the Flash used in the Equestria Girls films were much better than TTG's. We'll have to wait and see with how the TTG's film animation will be. But personally I don't think it'll be much better than the show's own animation style with less than a year to come to theaters.
    The reason why the Emoji Movie's animation is better wasn't my point, my point is that both films have their ups and downs.

4. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I believe this is the first Cartoon Network show to get a theatrical movie since the PowerPuff Girls Movie from 15-16 years ago.

5. Toon4Thought

Is it even a CN show though? I know it's usually listed among them, but to my knowledge it's an acquisition from Warner Bros.

Either way, I feel people should at least wait for a trailer or anything that gives an indication on what the film will be like. Again, barring a limited release for something intended as DTV, I get the impression this won't resemble the show that much, at least artistically and tonally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Already happening. I saw someone say that The Adventure Time Movie got cancelled for this, which is eerily similar to the "The Popeye Movie got cancelled for The Emoji Movie".

It's a Cartoon Network show in the sense that it was made and produced to air on the channel, Cartoon Network. But no, it's not produced by the animation studio, Cartoon Network Studios

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Toon4Thought

Sad to say, but it's more or less a foregone conclusion at this point. At the very least, this misconception seems to be less common than the Popeye one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Okay, you meant the eleventh superhero movie being released in theaters in 2018. That wasn't clear from your wording and confused me at first. On the over hand, it's still mind-boggling that there are eleven superhero movies coming out in 2018 just counting theatrical releases.

I have a hard time seeing how Teen Titans Go! is going to be able to support a full-length feature. I know that DC Entertainment doesn't have a lot else going in in animation right now outside of Justice League Action and the direct-to-video DC Universe movies, but even a movie based on the animated webshows for CW Seed seems more promising from a story-telling perspective.

#48 Otaku-sempai, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  9. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

By this logic, wouldn't all movies based on TV shows be "cash grabs"? Some can be great (like Rugrats in Paris or the SpongeBob movies), and it's not like most old 2D animated films didn't just adapt old fairy tales or books anyway.

For what it's worth, we're getting a new season of Young Justice, so it's not like everything non-TTG is being ignored.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

True, I had momentarily forgotten about the new season of YJ. Yet, if we had to have a Teen Titans animated theatrical feature then I personally would have voted for an adaptation of the New Teen Titans: Games original graphic novel (and not in the DC Universe shared continuity!).

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't help but notice that people view that "since it's for kids, it's allowed to be dumb." But as a counter-argument to a counter-argument, people need to be reminded that not everything is for everyone. People wouldn't like it if shows on Adult Swim took family viewers into consideration for their tone and content. And it's really dumb if people get mad that preschool shows don't cater to older audiences as well.
    It's just really dumb for people to get upset when things they don't like is popular.

Wasn't the Dragons Lair movie just a pitch? There's a chance that it won't get made, and even if it does, it doesn't mean it'll be in CG.

When it comes to 2D animation, it seems its best bet is returning to then it screen is for it to be based off of TV shows.

The best thing coming out of this TTG movie is that means other cartoons that have been hits or have gotten four seasons or more are likely to get movies now. It definitely makes sense for studios to try. Animated movies alongside superhero films are one of the few movies that perform consistently well at the box office. And unlike, superhero films, animated movies can be produced much cheaply by outsourcing the work overseas (among other things), thus leading to lower risks and potentially higher profits.
    So who knows, maybe that Adventure Time movie could still happen, or maybe one of Gumball, a hit show that CN actually produces (granted by its U.K. division).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

It reached its crowdfunding goal on Indiegogo in 2015, so it's currently in production.

No, it is not. We need more traditional animated films that aren't based on a TV show and I'd love for Disney's 60th animated film in their Animated Canon to be traditional animated than CGI animated.

And honestly, I doubt there will be a Gumball film and the Adventure Time film has since been scrapped.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

13. Toon4Thought

I think the main reason it's like this for TTG specifically is because of how much of a punching bag it is online. Because of how widespread its hate is, people feel like it's reasonable to assume that the only people who like the show are stupid kids who will eat up anything that CN chooses to air, and that it objectively is completely devoid of quality and has no right to be as popular as it is. They basically consider the show's success (and the fact it even has a movie) a complete sin against nature and proof that it's out to destroy quality programming (along with other, equally ridiculous claims that it has lead to CN killing SU despite all the network has done with the property this year alone).

At least, that's how I interpret all this. And yes, it's as stupid as it sounds.

#53 Toon4Thought, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's our best bet since that's currently what's happening. Sponge Out of Water, despite marketing marking people think otherwise, was mostly 2D animated, MLP is also 2D. Now of course, we don't know if Teen Titans Go, Spongebob 3 or even The Loud House movie will be 2D or not, but these movies likely will, and Disney and every other studio in Hollywood don't have any in their pipeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. AdrenalineRush1996

It is definitely not our best bet because not every upcoming traditional animated film has to be based on a TV show. I definitely would like to see a resurgence on said animation and I really mean it because honestly, animated films based on TV shows that are traditional animated doesn't make it a resurgence IMO. Had The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh been more successful, then we would've seen more traditional animated Disney films and heck, Frozen was originally planned to be traditional animated at one point. 2D animation may be a common term to describe non-CGI/stopmotion animation films but the correct term is traditional animation.

I like CGI animation but I also like traditional animation so much that I'm hoping that it will get a major resurgence in the near future. Over 30 years ago, the future of animation was CGI and since the mid Nineties, it has become the animation format in films aside from anime.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

How does it not make a resurgence? It doesn't matter if it's based on a show or not, 2D animation is 2D animation. If more 2D animated movies gets made, then its a resurgence. Besides, it could lead to 2D animated films not based on shows to get made.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. AdrenalineRush1996

It's not the resurgence people are hoping.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Better than nothing. But if I learned anything, even in a world where 2D animated films never stopped being made in Japan and Europe (and is easily available like on Netflix), it doesn't count unless it's done by Disney. Well, I'm sure people would love it if Dreamworks makes one too, but they'd definitely rather have Disney do it.

19. AdrenalineRush1996

Well, the thing is that Dreamworks is more known for their CGI films than their traditional animated films as before being relying on CGI only, they had five traditional animated films - The Prince of Egypt, Joseph: King of Dreams (remains Dreamworks' only DTV feature length film), The Road to El Dorado, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, however only one film from those five did well at the box office and that was The Prince of Egypt.

They have returned to traditional animation but on TV shows than on films with Netflix TV show continations of Spirit, Turbo, The Croods and Home and shows based on the Classic Media properties they bought during this decade including Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Voltron. Heck, Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie was once planned to be a traditional animated film before it became a CGI animated film with elements of Flash animation, traditional animation, cutout animation and sock puppetry, which explains its $38 million budget, one of the lowest for a CGI animated film from a major film studio.

Likewise its rival turned sister studio (since they're both owned by Universal), Illumination has never done a traditional animated film since all of their films so far have been CGI (with Hop being the only one to be a CGI animation/live-action hybrid from the studio), though if you think Pixar has never done a traditional animated project either a film or TV show, then you're wrong since they co-produced the Toy Story spin-off Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Dudley and Adrenaline, please stay on topic and continue your current discussion in PM.