1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teen Titans Go! To The Movies" Theatrical Feature Pre-Relase News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by CoolEric158, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Here's another thing, unless this somehow does something to make this really stand out as its own thing (which I'm honestly quite curious about), I can't even see this being very financially successful, since the parents will likely decline to see it on the grounds they watch enough of it on TV. I still have a suspicion it is either a limited release or a "Planes" situation.

It's not.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It'll be Lady Legasus and her team kissing their legs for an hour and a half.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

*record abruptly stops for about 30 seconds* WHAT!?! Warner Bros. is making a Teen Titans Go! MOVIE?!? First that show begins to clog Cartoon Network's schedule with 11 minutes of stupidity in every episode, then blast merchandise all around store shelves, and now it is getting a big screen MOVIE?!?

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to get the feeling that Kevin Tsujihara, the Chairman and CEO of Warner Bros., is actually, in disguise, (dun-dun-duuun) THADDEUS PLOTZ, who is well known for turning down Wakko, Yakko, and Dot's "Hooray for North Hollywood" screenplay in favor of "Jamalot"! Now he has turned down a screenplay for "Steven Universe: The Movie" for this rubbish!

To be honest, i'd rather just see this become one of the many worst movies Warner Bros. has ever made, which include (inhales greatly): Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977), The Swarm (1978), Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987), Batman & Robin (1997), The Avengers (1998), Battlefield Earth (2000), Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever (2002), and Catwoman (in name only!) (2004)!

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Geez, you act like no one could have ever seen this coming. If CN's going to make a movie, they'll pick the most popular of its properties.

And I'm skeptical it's actually intended for theaters, given how fast it's coming out. There hasn't even been a formal announcement; it was just casually mentioned in an article about something else. That tells me it's most likely direct-to-video the way Regular Show: The Movie was.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they were working on it for awhile. Not like today was day one on production.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Plus Regular Show: The Movie was always announced as being Direct to Video and never really airing in theaters while this is specifically saying it's going to theaters. Also a horrifying thought crossed my mind when realizing not only would Teen Titans Go be the 11th Superhero movie in theaters (and 3rd animated with Incredibles 2 and Miles Morales Spider Man) but I realized something about the date:

See this is premiering July 27th, 2018. Aka the the last weekend in July.

.... You remember what other recent animated movie premiered the last weekend in July?

Yeahhhhhhhhh this now reeks of WB trying to get some of that Emoji movie money. Which despite terrible word of mouth and scathing reviews, is technically a financial success. It made about 180 million world wide on a 50 million dollar budget so it did actually make a profit. And remember Emoji movie made records as being the fastest animated movie greenlit and put on screen and unless I'm just being super paranoid about this, Warner Brothers DC is using that same strategy of trying to fast track a movie that likely will not be critically loved but get the attention of kids for some box office coin. I mean it could just be an awful concidence but obviously they moved the date there for a reason.

Plus thinking about it some more this is probably the reason why season 5 hasn't been announced as again they've probably been working on the movie and then would get around to season 5. I know Spongebob did that for it's two movies which led to Nick taking so long to release season 3/9. You can't do that as much for TTG but at it's pace it should of still finished season 4 by now and gotten up to 5 but hasn't so yeah probably delay due to the movie which... now I just hope is better then the Emoji movie. Oh god if TTG the movie is worse then Emoji the movie may heaven have mercy on any one who sees it.

7. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

I was being funny, sir.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, or this movie is the send-off.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Well, the former was cancelled in favour of the fifth season that aired on Adult Swim and the latter for unknown reasons.
    Exactly how I feel about this. I'm sick and tired of it and the show should end soon because that's one of the reasons why CN isn't doing great now.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

TTG is one of my fav shows on CN right now, so I'm really excited for this. The MLP movie ain't even out yet, and it's already lead to more animated feature films based on TV shows, and in 2D no less!

However I'm also completely surprised and curious. The fact that this is coming out next year has me worried. Animated films take three years to produce on average. How long has this been in production, and why haven't they announced it sooner? Was this originally meant for a DVD release? What should we expect from the animation quality? Will it be a noticeable step up, or will they throw in some CG and just call it a day?

I wonder what the plot will be. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something meta, like how people don't take the Titans seriously and they have to face a serious villain. Or maybe they'll have them fight and then work together with the 2003 Teen Titans. And the lesson will be about being yourself, or that people need to understand that some things are meant squarely for kids and how that's okay.

Either way, I'm really excited. But oh man, people online are gonna lose their marbles on how the internet community's most hated show is getting a movie. Expect YouTube vids from Mr. Enter and others like him very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

The reaction to this online is hilarious... bunch of adults complaining about a kids movie, designed for kids, based on a kids TV show and not only that, but an incredibly popular kids TV show.

Look, I don't watch TTGO!. It's not for me. I'm in my 20's and that style of humour just doesn't work, but it's clear that kids love it.

I also assumed they would have gone the DTV road with the show, but hey, at least they are trying. Let WB get on with it... they are handing the ''adults'' 26 episodes of Young Justice next year. What more do you want?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  12. AdrenalineRush1996

People have a good reason to be angry about this. The "it's for kids" part doesn't really help and this is arguably why animated films aimed at older audiences (the gap between kids and adults, which I'm referring to teenagers and young adults) are unfortunately restricted to being shown on TV and direct-to-video (which I am referring to DC's animated films).

This is why I feel that TTG has overstayed its welcome and it's partly responsible for CN's current decline in popularity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I thought it was based on the poster. Shows how much I know.
    Hyperbole will be the death of us all!
    Agree to disagree.

#33 Fone Bone, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  14. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I'm just gonna ignore this movie, knowing I honestly ain't into TTG! (as much as I feel it's not that bad and there are some good episodes that could stand out if the crew working on it cared more for the overall craft (IMHO).),, unfortunately.

What I am keeping up with... Is all the glorious salt this is generating - which has always been more hilarious (and sad at the same time, unfortunately.) then the actual show itself.

To be fair, if this did well in theaters for real, alongside MLP, 2D animated in theaters could see a return, someday. This ain't the best way to go about - in either case, however, so it's highly doubtful: I mean (whether you like these shows or not), both are clearly nothing but cash grabs at best (again, IMHO.), when it's original ideas that are what are really needed to shine and make 2D a (great) thing again.

15. AdrenalineRush1996

That being said, there's another traditional animated film in development, which I am referring to Don Bluth and Gary Goldman's Dragon's Lair.

While the popularity of traditional animated (which I'm referring to animation before CGI) films have declined since the beginning of the Noughties, I do hope a resurgence happens soon and said films are now restricted to either TV, VOD or DTV films and anime films have remained traditional animation, since CGI anime isn't quite there yet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Not even a fan of Dragon's Lair, honestly - but unlike what people are raising a stink about here, THAT is something that needs actual support RIGHT NOW. Only because I know there is a huge fanbase out there for that property and it would suck to see it passed by, due to something like this getting too much attention it really doesn't need or deserve, save from the kids who love it (at least, IMHO.).

17. AdrenalineRush1996

Well, it did reach its crowdfunding goal on Indiegogo and it's currently in production with no confirmed date ATM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Not sure I grok the kneejerk negative reactions to this. Whatever this is going to be, it's not going to be a "Waffles!"-tier joke padded out to 90 minutes. A comedy-adventure would be the safe and likely way to go. GWO's dream is more "The Night Begins to Shine" glorious nonsense, and I'm not sorry! Even one scene will do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Honestly, by far the biggest reason why I'm curious over this film is the fact I have basically no idea what in the world they are even going to do. Assuming this isn't another instance of a DTV production being bumped to a limited release like Equestria Girls was, it's safe to say that it won't take on the same style as the show, artistically and tonally, simply because that wouldn't work in cinema filmography.

Either way, the reaction will be far, FAR worse than the film itself. I see people infavorably comparing this to the Emoji Movie, and I quite frankly don't think the two even belong in the same sentence.

Yeah, I agree. I get a very strong feeling that the crew knows better than to just do an extended version of the show, and I believe a 'style over substance' route like NBtS wouldn't be a bad route to take.

From what I can tell, many people feel that isn't a legit defense because to them it basically means "it doesn't matter whether or not our kids watch crap, it's not like they need quality standards". There are some cases where I think this counterargument holds water... however, it's more subjective than these people probably think. I mean, I'm not a fan of TTG by any stretch but I think it's harmless and is at least able to keep me smiling.

Again, given the mere 10 months of notice, I get the impression maybe this was originally meant as DTV.

20. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Unless CN plans to end the series with the film (and yes I am being delusional hopeful).

Both do have ups and downs. The Emoji Movie was criticized before even premiering, and the TTG film will be given the same treatment, TTG will have an advantage in being liked by it's target's audience while the Emoji Movie was seen as a cash grab, but the Emoji Movie's animation is far better in comparison to TTG's, which I think is Flash.

We can only hope so.

Considering how soon the film will be coming out, The style might only be slightly better than the shows for theater's sake.