1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Go! "The Return of Slade" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 28, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on "Teen Titans Go!"

1. *****

18.2%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

9.1%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

9.1%
  8. *1/2

9.1%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

54.5%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Another week of all-new Teen Titans Go! episodes continues! Check out Teen Titans Go! tonight at 6:00pm (ET) on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Teen Titans Go!
    "The Return of Slade" airs Tuesday, July 28th, 2015 on Cartoon Network
    Beast Boy and Cyborg insist on hiring a clown for a Titans party, even though Robin tells them that clowns are for little kids. When the clown fails to live up to their memories, Cyborg and Beast Boy decide to give the clown some cool updates.

Comments?

2. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

It's uncanny. Just today I was wondering if Slade would ever make an appearance in this show!:eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PhenomsServant4

PhenomsServant4 Active Member

Wow, I realize the synopsis should've gave it away, but that was a low fake out even for this show.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Did not like this episode at all. And no, I wasn't even that big a TT fan back in the day. It just came off flat.

The episode felt like a jab at older fanboys and their subjective nostalgia. Cyborg and Beast Boy's take on clowns. Raven going off about Pretty Pretty Pegasus.

5. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Probably the lowest form of trolling this show can do, having to have the most noted villain on the series in the title to get people's hopes up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

While I hate Teen Titans Go! (save for a few good episodes), I decided to check this episode out, hoping that the major villain of the TT franchise would mean a story arc for this show (even how idiotic it can be most of the time), possibly leading to its improvement.

But what do we get? Another stupid plotline like any other typical episode would have.

Oh well, back to hating this show...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

Haha, cmon. That fake out in the first few minutes was great. The rest of the ep was mediocre like the majority of this series. The meta commentary just didn't feel used or solid enough.

8. TerraKnight

TerraKnight Member

For anyone not getting the plot, this is exactly what they have been talking about. Even if TTG! tries to be epic, it won't hold the candle to the original show so it instead be its own show as a wacky comedy... just like how the original TT differ from the comics. Besides, there's lack of DC animated shows airing for kids currently and it would be wrong to change it to your taste when the intended audience is younger based on your selective nostalgia. After all, there are adult fans who like it the way it is as Raven also showed.

Besides, going from TTG! at its state to being more extreme and edgy would be like... going from Looney Tunes to Loonatics. WB would not like to make that mistake again. lol Stuff like this would usually be saved for the actual finale.

So basically, great episode with a needed message. Starfire's fear of clowns was funny.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

So... where do I begin?!

1) The title is a lie!!! We didn't see Slade at all, cop out!

2) They even teased the audience with how good a story we should have seen! If that's not trolling I don't know what is!

3) What pretentious moral is this episode trying to tell the audience? That adults are too old for kid stuff? Or that we shouldn't update children's entertainment? Or that we should let go of nostalgia? Cause whatever lesson it's trying to teach us, it's non-valuable!

4) So Cyborg and BB made the clown into a monster (At least they didn't use the Joker since that would be beating a dead horse) because they thought that would make it cool? Also, they watched Robin suffer a brutal beating (Not that I cared for this iteration of the character anyway) and even handed him some gun thing that makes other kid stuff into horrid monstrosities just for the lols... Our Heroes, Everyone!!!

5) That ending... what?

So, can I please lead an army of orcs to take over the entertainment industry so I can give the audiences the shows they want instead of what they're told they want?!

#8 Troy Troodon, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Disappointing episode. I wasn't really expecting anything epic from the show but I was kind of curious to see how they'd handle Slade. The episode description alone made it sound like Slade would play a minor role in the story, but not showing him at all (outside of those shots of his head, and mentioning his name like 10 times in the first minutes) was pretty unexpected. There was some mildly decent stuff, like Starfire's dear of clowns and the evil clown's design, and we now have confirmation that the Titans could defeat Slade in 3 episodes and a TV movie, so I guess this wasn't a complete waste of time.

11. Wi-fi Calcium

Wi-fi Calcium Active Member

I liked the references to the original series at the beginning. I feel the writers for people not giving this show a chance, but drawing in Teen Titans enthusiasts with Slade in the title and saying that critics need to grow up is kind of a low blow. Aside from the aforementioned references and Starfire being afraid of clowns, the episode wasn't really that amusing. It was an interesting episode at least and the animation has really improved noticeably since season 1. I really hope they move on from these kinds of plots and focus making something with actual comedic substance. Unfortunately, that seems like an unlikely scenario.

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, that was pretty low to tease Slade appearing in the episode only for him to be defeated offscreeen. I wouldn't have mind it as much if not for the fact that the episode was called "The Return of Slade". Now that's just mean.
    But I did enjoy the other bits about poking fun of nostalgia and fans wanting things to be more edgy. The ending was really week, though.

I think in terms of meta humor, this wasn't as good as the one when Young Justice appeared in it.

13. Yippee Coyote

Yippee Coyote Graphic Novelist

14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Okay with an episode with a "point" to it, this works way better then "Let's Get Serious." The whole point and message of that episode didn't make sense within the frame work of the story and even the show itself. The Titans are goofballs and need to be more serious... and act mock serious which supposedly breaks them apart even when it's shown being regularly serious would of worked. It just didn't seem like the creators got actually what made fans of the original show so upset with this one, as well as how to translate that into actually well thought out mocking. This one actually does work better with that moral. The whole opening bit to establish just how imagining how something will go and not needing to personally see it happen, and the message hammered in and again that trying to change and "corrupt" something that's meant to be silly and fluffy will just warp and destroy it, and anything connected to it. Instead of the writers simply going "nyehhhh we like being idiots so get over it" it's more them going "look you have your memories of something that probably wasn't as good as you thought it was. Just be happy imagining what happened and don't try changing something meant for a certain age bracket." Which I guess is at least a defense of this show but... yeah it's a pretty poor one quite honestly.

First off it's clear the whole opening was kind of a middle finger to the old school fans. They have the title out there that mentions Slade and you go "OMG! Slade's back in this! Finally this show is going to try something interesting". Heck even the most jaded people just have to see what they're going to do with this character cause yeah I can see how you'd make something like Trigion more goofy and light hearted way more then Slade. The "doting father" aspect wouldn't work on him if his focus was on the Titans so how to you go about having him on the show? By.... still not having him and just saying he's defeated for good in something so epic and emotional that you won't ever need to see it. In a way that is an incredibly sort of twisted joke and I have to admire just how cold they are to all of the older fans of the show, as they go further along to say they don't want/they want to lighten up. But... honestly also feels like they more wanted to just jab at people then lay down anything worth showing. Like seriously I'm sure there exists some really goofy wacked out version of Slade, or even a more serious one that having around could of led to some comedy for the wacky Titans but they didn't want to go that route at all. Which is honestly pretty lame and looks bad on their part. Seriously in the generation of instant feedback and knowing just how something will go over with your fans, jabbing them like this just feels pure jerk on their part when there was bound to be much better payoffs. I admit the "three epic episodes + DTV movie later" is funny and does feel like a reference to "The End" but.... an actual Slade appearance still would of led to better jokes then this. And wouldn't of felt like the writers pulling a prank on the their fans to try and get them to watch the rest. As yeah pretty sure they did that just to make them stick around to hear more of the actual message which... I also have problems with.

I admit I"m also someone who has a certain affinity for shows and programming of my youth that when watching and thinking of later, it doesn't really hold up. And in this time and era more then any other, the idea of riffing and tearing apart such stories and shows can lead to some great comedy, and commentary. Heck how many people online make a living off of that basic premise? But yeah that still either comes with a passion of hatred of what they once loved, or still trying to feel that love, or actually still appreciating it and what not. This comes from people who are trying to apply their show to the "it's just a kids show just relax and don't be so mean about it" to people who aren't a fan of it. By trying to point out how the original wasn't as good as they remembered it and that by trying to "make it better" and imagining it as all gritty and gothic and dark just for the sake of it's hurting other forms of entertainment. Or at the very least, feel that being light hearted and goofy isn't being appreciated correctly. Problem is they're still going about this wrong. By having the whole clown metaphor and applying to him instead of something more related to the Titans themselves it too much distances the point no matter how many times they try jabbing it in. It also is trying to make the fans seem as blind and optomistiic like Cyborg and Beast Boy. And this comes from someone who really enjoyed the original Teen Titans show... but even at the time had major problems with it and was willing to cut this one some slack for not being the exact same as the original. But there are still lines and points you shouldn't try crossing with that which yeah this one did way too often. This especially feels insulting for a Cartoon Network show to do now with all the actual CN shows with strong effort and maturity and trying to appease to all audiences ,to have it's supposedly most popular ones try and push the "it's kids entertainment just let it have no appeal to those outside the bracket and just be goofy okay" which shouldn't even be a lesson in a kids show if kids are going to be your basic demographic. They aren't going to get or appreciate that point: that's for the fans and yeah clearly you're just insulting them.

Granted there were some good jokes. I like Starfire's super fear of clowns, the Dexter's laboratory refrence (had to be with Cy and BB in the labcoats and gloves or is saying that not getitng the joke as "this show only applies to kids and what not duh huh") and the others in clwon attire had some laughs. But this was one where the moral hung too close to it's sleeve. Unlike "Let's Get Serious" it actually could fully make it's point without being a massive confusing contradiction, but it still I don't think is a message this show should try telling fans of the original series or even people who watch this one.

15. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

So, is this any better or worse than a regular episode of Toddler Titans?

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was worse. I'm getting the impression season 2 will end on a weak note.

17. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

A year or so ago, I stumbled on a parody leaked Simpson's script that started with one jab at disgruntled fans and slowly developed into one overlong gag about how much they hate their fans and how little they think of their earlier work.

Heaven help us, there's an actual show whose staff actually thinks this way.

18. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Being fair, a lot of times TTG episodes are named after one-off lines or things that aren't related to the episode's plot at all (Breakfast Cheese comes to mind), so this wasn't new.

Still, I liked it. The Slade tease was hilarious, and I enjoyed the meta commentary.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I doubt this show could afford Ron Perlman anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Yeah, considering how cheap they are and all. Besides, Ron's too good for this junk anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well technically Perlman isn't a bigger star then he was 10 years ago with the original series, and he does the Lich in Adventure Time, even back when AT wasn't a giant a hit as it was in it's peak. And technically Teen Titans Go is actually the must successful Cartoon Network series. I have a feeling if the staff wanted to they could easily ask for more money to make the show look and process better but again they are sort of lazy and cheap themselves. So I think it's a matter of them being able to get Ron Perlman but thinking it was just funnier not to show him.

Actually the more I think about it, this episode is like Cartoon All Stars To The Rescue: It's being advertised as one thing to hook in people who want to see something particular, but them suckering them in to hear the moral they want to push. In this case making people want to come in to see Slade (whether or not he was done well people likely wanted to know what his portrayal would be like) before they could hammer in their message about nostalgia and the like. Kind of sadistically cruel yet brilliant on their part admittedly.

22. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

Funny enough, there was pretty much a Rumor David Kaye would be taking over Slade.

I would've loved it if it happened since Kaye appeared in the Show at one episode.