1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Go! "The Hive Five" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 27, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on this "Teen Titans Go!" episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

50.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Another week of all-new Teen Titans Go! episodes begin! Check out Teen Titans Go! tonight at 6:00pm (ET) on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Teen Titans Go!
    "The High Five" airs Monday, July 27th, 2015 on Cartoon Network
    Tired of the Titans, The Hive agrees to take a day off and avoid engaging with their foes - if possible.

Comments?

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yep, this was an enjoyable one. Maybe it was the H.I.V.E. in another light or it had little of the Titans in it. Or both. Both. Dug Mammoth and BB doing the dance competition, Jinx and the cat, and Gizmo's tall suit. The tall suit. lmao.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I laughed way more than I should have. It also got me to root for the HIVE for the first time, lol.

The Titans were jerks here.

The best scene was the dance off. How Beast Boy briefly turned out the sun, I'll never know.

4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fun episode. Nice to have the HIVE Five in the spotlight for a change. Lots of amusing moments this time, like Jinx catching fire and getting hit by a safe after she lost her black cat, Beast Boy and Mammoth's dance-off, or Gizmo's new look (and how Robin recognized him right away). But the most unexpected laugh I got from this episode was the brief Popeye gag during one of the prank calls at the beginning.

5. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Dam the Titans are jerks, I am hoping the HIVE get the best of them. Anyway this was a fun episode nice to have all of the HIVE actually talk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You know "Lightspeed" is one of my favorite episodes of Season 5 of the original show, and in general because of it's ability to focus on the villains and make them interesting and not feature the Titans at all. Yes we have Kid Flash but the focus is still mostly on the Hive. So we know they can carry an episode. But yeah clearly this show in wanting to keep things "simple and stupid" (their words not mine) still wants to shove in the main Titans as much as possible to be mostly as obnoxious as possible in every opportunity. Which I guess is suppose to be the joke: The Titans whether or not they're fighting the HIVE are still annoying them. Honestly since this show has pretty much no canon and can just kill off it's characters for the sake of a joke, this should of just ended with Gizmo going "oh just hit the button" and shot a bunch of missiles at Titan tower blowing it up and have the Hive Five cheer. Would of made the entire focus of them being annoyed by the Titans honestly funnier cause it would of led to the pay off of "we can get back at them for being so obnoxious to us".

That said I do appreciate them trying to give plots for all the Hive Five. And hey Kudos they FINALLY brought back Kevin Michael Richardson to voice Mammoth and See-More. Neither of which are my favorite characters but seeing them go unvoiced for so long did feel rather weak. I guess apparently two other actors is the show's limit as we couldn't get Rob Paulsen back as Billy Numerous but honestly him playing against himself in a baseball game and making all those Billies to fill the seats or to be umpire and stuff was one of the highlights. And honestly did sort of feel like a joke the original show could of done and at least Raven had a reason to get payback on the guy. Honestly every other scene started out fine but again showing off too much of the Titans. Sans the opening joke of all of them prank calling Gizmo they shoved way too much of the Titans being obnoxious to the point of not really being funny. Especially Cyborg and Robin who did really need payback. The bit with Jinx and the black kitty getting along was nice (I like the idea of Jinx bonding with something that has her bad luck) but ruined by Starfire appearing and taking it away. That kind of felt too cruel and not even in a funny way. Same with BB outshining Mammoth in a dance off. Also sometimes the animation and hi jinks even for a cartoon can get a bit too silly or out there for me in this show like the stuff with Gizmo in his tall suit. Started out good but high fiving the sun? Eh didn't work for me really.

So yeah... a disappointment of an episode where the Titans can even wreck it when other characters get the spotlight. I know it's there show but again the original could have an episode without them just fine. And I know this isn't the original series but this kind of annoyance and grating personalities mixing is what does turn people off the show.

7. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

I kind of agree with Neo Ultra Mike on this episode. While I don't like Teen Titans Go, I tuned in just to see the Hive Five since I kind of enjoyed their dynamic in "Lightspeed". Besides the fact that the silent members talked (which should have happened earlier since that is what made them humorous in the original series), I really didn't like this episode. There was no payoff for the Hive Five suffering from the Titans interfering with their day. I kind of wished something at the end happened. However, if this episode served any purpose, it was to further this show's agenda that "Heroes always win against their foes." Sure, I know the Teen Titans in this series don't win all the time, but it seems like when they are being especially obnoxious, they still win. It makes me wonder if the creators are trying to make them Animaniacs-esque protagonists in that they annoy others and get away with their actions.

8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well they've failed for a few reasons

1. The Animaniacs had rules and actual code lines for who they go after. As shown in that episode that spoofed Mary Poppins, they don't go after people just being generally nice and kind to them who aren't in some way jerks. Thus why they asked Slappy Squirrel, whose from the old school "will go after whoever for the sake of a gag" esque style of violence, but they won't do that. This show doesn't have those guide lines as they want to do whatever they want with the characters. Which I guess offers less limitations but if you just have them act however for the sake of a joke and have no consistency, then you really have no identity or theme to call your own, and can just appear as basic nonsense to people.

2. This goes against the original point of the show and of the characters in general. With Animaniacs it was characters that were crafted and created by one specific team and thus crafted them however they see fit. The creators and writers of this show are using stolen property to redesign their characters. And granted yeah no one expects a carbon copy of the original show, but considering they're using the original designs and voices it's obvious they're still cashing in on the image of the previous team. As no one would of picked up this show if it was called "five idiots who sometimes fight crime but usually goof off and annoy people"..... well maybe Nickelodeon but not Cartoon Network... now. This was picked up because of people's fondness for the original show which this one constantly spits back in their face. Which I admit can be good for a joke but you also have to be able to spit back into the characters and make them pay for their actions to balance out the annoyance they cause.

3. There's no variety to a lot of these scenarios. And granted you can say the same for a lot of shows with a formula, but something that made Animaniacs and Looney Tunes work is that they were constantly switching up characters and scenarious quite often. In the golden days you didn't see like 10 bugs bunny and elmer fudd cartoons, and on Animaniacs you didn't see the Warners in every sketch of every episode. They mixed it up with Pinky and the Brain, Goodfellas, Rita and Runt, Slappy Squirrel etc which all had different kinds of jokes and characters to them. With this kind of show you either have to constantly be changing or evolving or switching up the characters or making sure the original blue print is solid enough so we'll be fine seeing these guys go through the same hoops over and over. It's a reason why people stuck with Phineas and Ferb so long and it's more well remembered then likely this show will be.

9. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

The episode could done better that's all I really think, of course The Hive did deserve an episode featuring them but the jokes weren't funny and the titans really weren't needed in this episode

10. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I found this episode mixed. Some jokes were funny, some just mean (Raven...). If anything, it proves the Titans are good people when saving the world...and absolute sociopaths in every other aspect of their lives.

11. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

I found Starfire to be downright cruel to Jinx here. She wasn't doing anything.

12. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what Starfire's line of reasoning was. Perhaps she thought Jinx was causing all of the collateral damage (not like Jinx did much to stop it).