1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Go! "The Cape" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 13, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Teen Titans Go!" episode

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in to a new Teen Titans Go! episode, tonight at 6:00PM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Teen Titans Go! "The Cape"
    Episode Debut - October 13th, 2016
    Written by - Aaron Horvath, Michael Jelenic & Peter Rida Michail
    Directed by - Aaron Horvath, Michael Jelenic & Peter Rida Michail

Robin and Cyborg argue about the importance of capes.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It was very meta seeing a whole episode use clips from the original series It felt like an abridged series.

That said, beyond the novelty, not the best episode. Cinderblock and Plasmus were both so, so annoying, and the Slade scene could have been much better.

3. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

It is not clips, it is original animation done in the old style.

Anyway I agree, I felt while the Steven Universe short "Steven Reacts" was a love letter / tribute to reaction video, I felt this was a love letter / tribute to abridged series.

If you watch all the animation, you can put in straight serious dialogue and it would work.

Teen Titans abridged, one of the more under rated abridged stuff, I haven't seen it in a long time, I don't know if it is still on YT, but "Mask" abridged is one of my favorite abridged episode, the fake Robin with the Steven Hawkin voice, not to mention Robin referring to Red X as handsome, hilarious.

• Like Like x 1
    #3 zoombie, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  4. disneyphilip

disneyphilip Member

Actually, the animation was reused from the 2003 series episode "Divide and Conquer".

5. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well either way, this was an abridged series tribute, and they did for the first episode, I wonder if they do it again well it be "Sisters" or skip ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It sort of felt like if some teenagers got a hold of Mystery Science Theater. But boy do they come with weirder ways to close the season each time.

Couldn't help but crack up at Robin's line about choosing the spot near the vents and at the end the "Formation Run up the walls for no reason!"

Except from the bit with Mas y Menos.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It got kind of annoying at times but overall a pretty funny and unique episode. I know they used footage from the 2003 series before, but not like this, for a full episode. Personally I"d prefer if they didn't do any other full episodes like this, if only to keep this episode unique.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You know I think when some people found out that the team of Teen Titans Go were not behind the original Teen Titans, they also assumed they did not watch the original Teen Titans. Which even from the first episodes clearly wasn't the case. They knew about the 2000's series and about the character and style but were just doing their own thing. Again the only reason this series was even made was because of how popular the little Teen Titans shorts were on DC Nation, and a lot of that was nostalgia from the original. And even three seasons in it's pretty clear the team will like it or not never be able to escape the nostalgia of the original series... though that's there own fault for going with the design, voices and kind of personality types the 2000's TT had and just straying far in nearly every way else. Though it's pretty obvious over these three TTG seasons the team if not being bitter about the comparisons, does recognize them and is now totally fine with mocking the people who enjoy the original show, as well as the show itself. So decided for a "special" season finale type feel to go "eh let's just totally mock the original series the entire time by putting our style of humor over one of it's episodes."

Actually it's kind of ironic they're doing this now. Whether or not the team know exactly about abridged series (you'd have to think they would but even now abridged series might be a niche that was never brought up around them) this is coming out around the time of the Teamfourstar Star Tenkachi Ironman Budokai Abridgeathon having people send in their own abridged series to be judged. So judging this episode like that, the visual edits and lip synching is good, while the voice acting is rather mixed and the scripting has serious problems. I guess they still don't want to get Ron Pearlmen (which it's pretty clear at this point they could, they clearly choose not to) and the show is clearly still in the low budget mindset of "eh try to keep it to the original 5 VAs and don't bring in others as little as possible", but choosing surfer voice Scott Menville voices for Cinderblock and Plasmius were honestly more distracting then amusing. If they had given them much more unfitting voices and had them honestly speak less the bits would of been a lot funnier. I also find it weird that the cast isn't going more all out with their goofier TTG voices for this. Especially Greg Cripes who seems to at points be leaning to using his more original Beast Boy voice by making it a bit lower and gravely. I have no idea why as the point should be it's still the Go characters on play here. Honestly if they were playing this script more totally straight or had the wonkier voices it'd be funnier then the weird mix they're trying for. Though the weakest part is the script. "Divide And Conquer" is honestly one of the weaker episodes of Teen Titans originally and has plenty to make fun of. I've even seen years upon years back when the show was still going even before abridged series were a think, comedic written summaries that did a good job pointing out the flaws of the episode (how spotaneous the fight between Cy and Robin is but how much time they spend on Robin missing Cyborg without really showing anything about Cy etc) and though the team did point out a few (running up walls for no reason, some of the animation errors like Robin and Cyborg not seemingly walking away from one another) they kept the focus too much on their own script idea about capes. Though that was fine for the basic skeleton structure of the story, that shouldn't of been as much the focus and should of allowed for better material. The joke about Robin just being prepared and putting in a vent to look all dramatic and cool was a good one but honestly the best bits were more of them going off that script idea like Raven doing a turn table beat box mix (honestly though pointing out she had no idea what she was doing would of been a funnier commentary on that scene), Robin wanting to steal Cyborg's stuff, them rock paper sciscossoring and heck even Slade trying to pose dramatically by pretending to hold up something. The weird thing is that parts of this do feel like a real abridged series (and yeah I remember also back when Teen Titans had an abridged series... it had some good jokes in it like them actually replacing Blackfire with Starfire but they were kind of few and far between and one of those series that had reallllllllllly choppy editing that would not fly at all today) done by a team who had soem good ideas but the majority of them going to this one script idea that just did not hold water all the way through.

I guess the end at least shows the "yeah we still know the original series flaws in all was good and enjoyable" which is nice and there were some jokes and I do appreciate this idea but this is one of those "had so much potential it did not live up to it." And you know with so many meta jokes like this one of these days either the Titans or the staff themselves are going to have to directly say why they can't try to be like these Teen Titans despite a lot of fans wanting them to be so. Even if it's a mocking "this goofy style is much more popular with kids nyah nyah" it'd at least be an acknolwedgement why rather then "we know people liked the original stuff but... you know we're still us" or whatever that message is supposed to be.

9. disneyphilip

disneyphilip Member

Actually, TTG DOES have some of the same staff as the 2003 series and not just the voice actors, including writers like Amy Wolfram and producers like Sam Register and Glen Murakami.

10. Zamrod

Zamrod New Member

I didn't get that impression at all. This really seemed like an attempt to convince everyone that the old show was stupid. It felt like it came from a place of "No matter what we do, fans keep asking us to bring back the old show and to switch back to the old art style. They tell us the new show is 'cartoony' and 'silly' but the old show was 'serious' and 'edgy'. We keep trying to tell them that the old show was just as silly as this one is. Maybe if we show them an episode of the old series but with a sillier plot, they will see that the art style was not more serious in any way. We can point out all of the flaws of the old art style, like capes blowing in the wind when there's no wind around and typical Anime tropes like people walking away from each other but not actually getting anywhere just for artistic effect and people running up walls for no good reason. Then, hopefully, everyone will finally see that the old art style was just as childish and silly as our new one. But, I doubt it'll work. So, at the end, we'll have the Teen Titans as stand ins for our audience having watched the stupid [thing] we just showed, they will still love it. Because they are blinded by nostalgia and will love the old show no matter how bad it was."

Mod Note: Please watch the language, we do have stricter rules here.

#10 Zamrod, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
  11. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

Yet another "selfish" attempt to mock the original series, it's fans, and the critics.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

To be fair, Sam Register is generally involved in producing all the Warner brothers related animated series in the last 10 years so him being attached to both series makes sense. And honestly from what I've read Glen Murakami 's executive producer credit is because he was the designer of the original look in the 2000's show which TTG is still using to some extent as he otherwise doesn't really have a role in the series. It's like crediting Craig McCracken for PPG 2016 because he was the creator of the original series even if he has nothing to do with the one currently airing. I admit I had forgotten that Amy Wolfram had written some TTG episodes as she was one of the main writers of the original series though I do think she stopped writing since early season 2 of TTG. I do note a lot of her TTG episodes from what I've seen like "Girls Night Out" "Colors Of Raven" and "Missing" are not only some of the better episodes but also do feel the most adapated from the original series. Though it's still pretty obvious the main staff of writers and directors and animators for the most part aren't really from TT at all. In fact a lot of the team that work on TTG originally were on the Cartoon Network series Mad...

Which is always why I'm confused by how missing the point a lot of this series satire of things, especially of the original series, are. Honestly I do think it was trying to not be a totally bitter satire since at this point, honestly TTG's popularity is a lot higher then TT's (who technically never even got up to 78 half hours worth of episodes at all, nor were the consistent top rated CN show for two+ years straight) so I can't see the point of still being super annoyed by the comparisons, but because of this was supposed to be a more direct satire of the original TT... it did fail. It again had bits that were obvious mocks but.... again the script not only could of used more jokes but should of just dropped the stuff with capes and just been straight spoofing the material. And honestly unlike other episodes where they are still within the world of TTG and still directly showing the characters, here they are just straight up showing the original series. So there's really no excuse why they couldn't of mocked it further as honestly making it just about the plot of the original and how wonky that was would of been easier as well. Especially since again "Divide And Conquer" is not that good an episode. Even CN at the time knew that since yeah this was obviously the first episode made and the technical start point of the series but was still shown third back in the day. Honestly I do feel the show is more concerned with being weird or trying to pay homage to the original then just straight up lampooining it as otherwise I'd think they'd be capable of a better trashing of TT in this TTG ep... it could just be TTG's own incompetence at that but I could see it as trying to still show some levels of respect. Just that ... TTG this is what you pretty much get when you try to respect something.

13. Zamrod

Zamrod New Member

Honestly, I don't feel like they have any respect for the old series. They've stated quite a few times that the new show is what kids like so it doesn't matter what the adults who liked the original show think. The new show isn't FOR them. I've seen them at conventions and their attitude is very much "stop complaining. The old show is never coming back and the new show is better in every way so no one wants it to come back. You remember It being good, but it never was."

But the reason I think this episode was so off the mark was the same reason they always are: they are trying to make an adult point about how the old show was bad but people are blinded by nostalgia while simultaneously making the episode entertaining for children. So, they needed to throw in some silliness about capes blowing in unseen breezes, a prune juice factory being under attack, the villain looking like he was holding things while posing dramatically, running up walls for no good reason, and people walking away from each other without getting anywhere. Most of which are really silly when you specifically call them out, though they are still tropes you can find in a lot of anime.

Which is kind of their point. if they can point out the silly things that happened in the old series and even 8 year olds who are watching the new series find that hilarious then how wrong you must be to like it.