1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teen Titans Go!" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 20, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Teen Titans Go!" Season

1. *****

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Why shouldn't the show be defensive? Adult "fans" are constantly repeating over and over again how much it sucks. Who wouldn't be defensive at that? At least their counterarguments make more sense than, "When I was a kid I watched high-quality children's television like Transformers and ThunderCats! Derp!"

Teen Titans Go! "Classic Titans"

I loved most of this. I did not dig the ending. Much. But we'll get to that.

At first, when Babies Vs. Dogs is on, I couldn't figure out what the show is spoofing. I have never seen another cartoon like it. Then Control Freak runs down the list of complaints. I have not seen much of Babies Vs. Dogs, so I cannot speak if Control Freak is right about it. But I CAN say that every single one of those complaints could be leveled against this show, and they would all be true. So suddenly, instead of parodying nothing, Babies Vs. Dogs is instantly Teen Titans Go!.

Here is opinion that is probably not unpopular among certain levels of animation fans, but it is also true. Superfriends and the Filmation DC shows sucked. For real. No redeeming virtues. When Cyborg states kids only watched it because it was the only thing on, he was stating the truth. I think the worst thing about Superfriends is how outright boring it is. There is an argument to be made that the original Transformers was a worse show (and it was) but I loved it as a kid because it had a great gimmick that captured my imagination. Perhaps were I a more insightful kid, I'd realize the show sucked. But back then I cared less about the quality of the show, and more about the premise and the toys and the fads. And that was very kid of me.

But Superfriends? I don't know anyone who actually liked it or watched it. You'd have your various Batman and Superman fans on the playground, but I think those kids either just liked the characters themselves, or the comic books they appeared in. Nobody my age liked the Superfriends. It was dull. And to be blunt, when I once heard my adult brother-in-law say that nothing would beat the original Superfriends when a clip of the Timmverse came on, it took me everything in my power not to jump across the room, grab him by the throat, and scream in his face, "How stupid are you? I thought you voted Democrat!" But man, I wanted to. Badly.

But that's old people. Everything they had as a kid was better, even if they hated it at that time. I'd be very surprised if he actually watched that show as a kid, but every adult of a certain age loves to pompously declare their generation superior to all the later ones, even if their generation actually sucked. By the way, how did writing in Bernie Sanders in the general election work out for you, BIL? Just askin'.

This is partly why I don't take the complaints against this show too seriously. People rave and rave about BTAS, but the animation was USUALLY clunky, and the dialogue USUALLY corny and cliched. In every possible metric you could fairly judge animated superhero shows, TTG is probably of a higher quality. But that doesn't mean it's good. It just means that animation tastes have evolved and changed. BTAS was the best cartoon on the air besides the Simpsons when it aired. Has that been true of Teen Titans Go at ANY point? Of course not. So this show can actually be better than BTAS as far as quality goes, and still be a worse show.

But it's the lionization of BTAS which makes the complaints about this show seem a bit tiring. BTAS had some amazing episodes attached to it, and everybody remembers it for them. But I'd say about 75% of the rest of it is utter crap that doesn't hold up 25 years later. Heck, it doesn't even hold up to the GOOD BTAS, but good luck finding a Timmverse fan willing to admit that.

The idea that taste is subjective and that tastes evolve and change is the reason I like the episode and most of the moral.

But there is part of the moral I DON'T like. Ironically, I don't actually consider this a gripe about TTG itself. I like the show's animation, and think it works for what it does. But when Control Freak is amazed that the simple designs convey so much emotion, and do more things that the Superfriends ever could, I think he's missing the forest for the trees. I don't think he is even legitimately talking about TTG anymore, but he might as well be talking about Adventure Time, or Regular Show, or any other popular "So random!" animated comedy, whose animation, well, SUCKS. Better and easier to read than Superfriends should not be the freaking bar. And we shouldn't have to pretend that it's okay that Adventure Time and Regular Show look as bad as they do, even if the shows are amazing in every other respect. Just because they look better than cartoons from the 70's doesn't mean they are not total eyesores.

By the way, I love Narration. My favorite thing about Arrested Development. But while the show is right that Superfriends used the Narrator for a lousy reason (it was easier and cheaper than spending money to animate with clarity) a good Narrator like Ron Howard, or Daniel Stern enhances the experience. The Superfriends Narrator definitely sucks. The show shouldn't be acting like all Narration does. Because some of it is awesome.

I enjoyed most of this, but disagreed with some of the conclusions reached. Slightly above average week. ***1/2.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I really dug this episode. As someone who isn't a fan of Superfriends at all, some of the "pokes" were pretty hilarious, from the redundant narrator, to the stilted animation, to the catch-phrase filled dialogue.

Kudos tot he voice actors for slightly changing their voices to sound more authentic. That one villain giving a jarringly "deep" backstory was also very funny, and somehow didn't feel like it was too long.

THAT SAID...I feel like Superfriends is an easy target. Heck, a lot of people who complain about TTG grew up with early 2000s shows, like JL/U, and obviously the original Teen Titans. They should have used those shows...except they wuld probably have way less of a case.

@Fone Bone I agree with most of what you said - except some of your Batman: TAS comments. I personally think it's mostly aged very well. I don't want to get off-topic, though. so I'll just leave it at that. :p

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

And that's cool. I knew I'd get a lot of pushback for my view of BTAS, which is a sacred cow on Toon Zone, but after all of these years and hindsight, my tastes have changed a lot, and I don't mind sharing that perspective, even if other people disagree. No worries.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it was only a matter of time until the show parodied the original Teen Titans cartoons. I liked how this turned out. The limited animation, repeated scenes, narration, etc. all made for amusing moments. I think my favorite gags were Robin's various birdarang attacks, and the mad scientist villain proving he's not one-dimensional.

It would have been nice if they at least acknowledged Wonder Girl was in the original Filmation show, but I suppose that was too much to ask for.

Perhaps Cartoon Network will make a spin-off with "Babies Vs Dogs". :p

• Like Like x 2
  5. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

So, did the parody give Robin the little elf-shoes or the clunky 'ugg' boots? I was half-expecting Robin to be missing or replaced, but this was just as much a send up of Super Friends as it was of the Filmation shows.

6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in to a new Teen Titans Go! episode, tonight at 6:00PM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Teen Titans Go! "Ones and Zeros"
    Episode Debut - September 22nd, 2017

The Titans build an AI robot so it will create a pizza that's never been made before.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Heh, another funny and weird combo of pop culture references -- Family Matters, Star Wars -- then throwing in some education with the Turing Test segment.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Robin not realizing he's talking to a robot because it was complimenting him was pretty funny. Same for his story about when he created an AI that took over the world. The Star Wars-inspired ending was cool.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Teen Titans Go! "Ones And Zeroes"

Dear Lord, Robin created Urkelbot! Bad Robin! Naughty Robin! Don't DO that!

Hawaiian pizza is nasty. There is a reason they serve it in Hell in The Good Place.

The Star Wars ending would have been more appreciated by me, not only if there were more Star Wars themes in the episode, but if that exact scene hadn't been parodied so many times before.

Has a robot actually passed the Turing Test if the person it's fooled is a moron? Because that's a pretty big flaw in the test.

NOBODY says the Titans are cool. That's the biggest tip-off.

Cereal pizza sounds like a good idea on paper, but the specific way they made it on this show. means it would be nasty and a total mess. Way too elaborate to make the crust a bowl. and the cheese milk. It's not longer actually pizza if you do that.

Passable episode. ***.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not a fan of Hawaiian Pizza myself, but even if I was...yeah, any food can get boring after awhile, I guess.

Who knew the Titans had such l33t programming skills. ;) Even Robin was fooled. Robin can't really complain about the Titans never listening to his warnings, though, since he never listens to Raven's warnings.

TTG really loves it's evil robots, huh. But at least this one was a good cook (but cereal pizza sounds very unappealing to me.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in to a new Teen Titans Go! episode, tonight at 6:00PM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Teen Titans Go! "Career Day"
    Episode Debut - September 29th, 2017

Robin forces the other Titans to forget their dreams and find regular, boring jobs.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Teen Titans Go! "Career Day"

Those dancing cartoon teeth were cute.

I love that Beast Boy and Cyborg don't want to be multimillion dollar CEO's. How exactly did Robin finagle that job for them anyways?

Loved Starfire using kittens for construction workers.

Bad things? Oftentimes Teen Titans Go! has phenomenal original songs. This was not one of those weeks. Beast Boy and Cyborg's song was just plain awful.

Still, I liked more than I didn't. ***.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I dug Raven's sequence the most. The rest were ok. A bit more mean to Robin than usual.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Raven's and Starfire's jobs were pretty hilarious. The Beast Boy & Cyborg scene was decent, I liked how they managed to still be buddies despite their jobs. I'm a little surprised Robin just wanted to be a basketball player, I was expecting something weirder.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    Teen Titans Go! "TV Knight 2"
    Episode Debut - October 6th, 2017

Batman and Commissioner Gordon have a slumber party and watch their favorite TV shows.

Comments?

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I wasn't into the first one and little changed with the second one. I did find the auto tune part funny especially with it ending on Raven smashing BB with the car then whistling at Aqualad.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Teen Titans Go! "TV Knight 2"

As always, the wrap-around segments with Batman and Gordon are better than the actual TV stuff. The Silkie rap was pretty awesome though.

Love that Batman wears Superman pajamas, and both he and Gordon wear retainers. My eyebrows raised when I saw Batman invited Joker and Penguin to the Batcave, but Alfred didn't like it either, and called Gordon's Momma on him. I also love that the Giant Penny in the Batcave's face is Zod.

Bad things? I can't believe Robin's conjoined eye twin is still a thing. Worst continuity consistency ever.

Funny otherwise though. ***1/2.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in to a new half-hour Teen Titans Go! episode, tonight at 6:00PM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Teen Titans Go! "Justice Leauge's Next Top Talent Idol Star"
    Episode Debut - October 9th, 2017

The Justice League holds a talent competition to find a superhero worthy of joining the team and Robin tries everything to win.

Comments?

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Career Day was pretty funny, even if Robin once again became the punching bag at the end.

TV Knight 2 was pretty dull, sadly. None of the segments really had time to do anything other than feature songs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Both Career Day and Justice League's Next Top Talent Idol Star Parts 1/2 were pretty sweet/funny,

Robin the creep as usual tormenting the Teen Titans for their future jobs was funny.
    Both Raven, Beast Boy/Cyborg, and Starfire's job scenes were great/enjoyable, Raven the dancing dentist being rich and Starfire having cats as construction workers was so hilarious, they make it better to not let Robin ruin it:D.
    Nice seeing George Washington, Mammoth, and the Tooth Fairy.
    Beast Boy/Cyborg's song was pretty awful.
    Robin being a basketball player was weird though, hehehe.
    Love Robin's well-deserved just desserts at the end, hahahahaha:p.

Cool seeing Superman/Wonder Woman along with Batman/Aquaman as judges, Wonder Woman looks so cute:D.
    Birdarang's great funny moments, nice seeing Painbot.
    Nice seeing Batgirl, Speedy, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Zan/Jana, B'wana Beast, Vixen, and Nuclear Man for the talent show.
    Cyborg loving Wonder Woman, messed-up/terrible writing, he loves Jinx.
    Cool seeing Blackfire/Trigon, loved the Betrothed vibe from Starfire.
    Both Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy, Cyborg, and Raven's talents were great/enjoyable, Raven's dark dancing was awesome, nice that Cyborg/Raven won:D.
    Robin the selfish scumbag as usual to win the talent show was funny, he's worse than Buttercup, Peter Griffin, Kuzco, Candace Flynn, Pizza Steve, and Cassandra(Tangled) put together.
    Tiny Robin was funny, hahahahahaha.
    Seeing Robin lose/suffer was satisfying, hehehe.
    Tiny Robin winning being with the Justice League was great/funny:p.

• Like Like x 1
    #200 Radical, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017