1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Go! "A Cat's Fancy" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 31, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on this episode of "Teen Titans Go!"

1. *****

33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

33.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

33.3%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

A week of all-new Teen Titans Go! episodes comes to a close! Check out Teen Titans Go! tonight at 6:00pm (ET) on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Teen Titans Go!
    "A Cat's Fancy" airs Friday, July 31st, 2015 on Cartoon Network
    Robin decides to become a cat so that Starfire will finally love him.

Comments?

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Kind of funny Dr. Light didn't even appear. But aside from cliche cat lady story and Garfield parody, I think that bit of Starfire flying the Light Bomb up to Starfire waking up was sort of poignant -- but immediately dashed aside by the dumb cat.

3. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Robin's kind of adorable (and creepy) in a cat suit. I wonder if Scott Menville was actually doing the sound effects.

4. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Oh I bet he was.

Overall, strong season premiere. The opening was great, Robin going full cat was hilarious (especially the Garfield homage) and Raven's moral at the end was a neat capper ("with pets, there's never a dull moment")

5. Srebak

Srebak Member

I watched the last two new episodes and this is my opinion on this one:

It sort of struck a bad cord in me. Mainly because it made fun of the whole "Wish upon a star" scenario. That used to be a symbol of hope and belief, now the cynical world we live in just makes fun of it. It's really distracting and bothersome to me.

6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. Robin's crazy idea was fun and I liked how Starfire became a crazy cat lady as the story progressed. The best gag was probably the Garfield tribute. Also liked the ending, since I wasn't expecting Robin to actually learn anything from all this. And Starfire's more dramatic action scene and sacrifice from the start of the episode was handled pretty well, kind of unexpected from this kind of show.

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked how it sounded like Robin got hit by a car in the end. That made me LOL.
    Starfire going cat lady crazy, the Garfield jab, and the Wishing Star twist made me laugh too.

8. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say so much the cynical world we live in, but more the cynical world of Teen Titans Go! It's practically this show's hobby to take certain conventions and turn them on their heads.

9. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

I see that they're continuing the break-dance animation in the intro. A little more fluid.

Anyway, this episode was okay. Nothing to write home about.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Not my favorite episode. I'm more of a dog guy myself, but I like cats just fine. Robin continues his streak of pure insanity.

11. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

A lot of people have been calling this show "Johnny Test" esque and this to me feels like one of the most obvious examples. Especially the Garfield joke because... that's a Johnny Test joke. Seriously Johnny Test will go out of it's way to imagine and have the characters more for the sake of a joke then the sake of a story look or dress up or imitate something for a bit as a homage to something. Like with Scooby Doo and the Cat in the Hat or other such examples. And there's no problem with referencial humor. Frankly I really do enjoy it but... for it to work you either have to be saying something with it, or making jokes other people haven't. The Garfield joke was just "Garfield is lazy and doesn't like Mondays... moving on." Sorry, everyone's made that joke and there's no point in YOU making it. And honestly at this point with how far we've come with animation for kids you can't just go with the "well kids won't know other people have made it" excuse. You have to try harder and do bits and material to make it feel fresh and memorable, not just rehashed bits. Then again with "The Return Of Slade" maybe that's they're definite "well we don't care if adult like it. Kids do and that's that" but again, I know the writers honestly are better then this. Not only because most of them were on Mad which specalized way more in either telling new jokes or having a point to them, but even with other Teen Titans Go episodes. But those are the stronger ones which... yeah this is.

Essentially this is a "Robin dresses up like a cat to get Starfire to like him and she becomes a crazy cat lady." Which... honestly could be funny as a smaller subplot of a story or if they were able to go more into it. Which yeah oddly enough usually isn't a problem for this show going into all out insanity for the sake of a joke or scenario but this one seemed too restrained for the concept. Starfire likes cats cause they're cute and takes care of them and Robin acts like a cat.... those are like the biggest jokes you're getting in these episodes and those wear out they're welcome rather quickly. Maybe if there was more of Raven, Beast Boy and Cyborg cracking on Robin for his plan or on Star for letting Rob take advantage of her it'd be funny but... they don't do that. Instead it's just a bunch of jokes about cats, which ends with a "here we go again" with Robin now dressed as a dog. I guess Raven's ending line was kind of funny but... eh that's the biggest reaction I got out of this one. Sort of a mild chuckle, at best.

Honestly this is just a weak episode with a premise they didn't even executve fully for some actually off the wall comedy just settling with "here's what a lady would do taking care of a bunch of cats, and that lady is just Starfire." They didn't even turn her into a really creepy or weird or grotesque cat lady either which wouldn't of been funny but would of at least been them trying to go all the way with the joke. But no they didn't and... yeah this is the weakest season premiere by far. I actually liked "Legendary Sandwitch" and "Mr. Butt" as they did a good job mixing the characters being zany with more super hero situations like fighting creatures or dealing with Blackfire. Starfire and cats though... not so much.

12. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

For a season 3 premiere, this episode was just pretty meh. I don't wanna hate an episode completely that has to do with cats my favorite animals. The plot is stupid, but it kinda works tbh. 4/10