Teen Titans "Final Exam" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 19, 2003.

?

Rate "Final Exam" and Post Your Comments

1. *****

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. ****1/2

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. ****

22 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. ***1/2

15 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. ***

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. **1/2

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. **

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. *1/2

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  9. *

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. 1/2

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

The Teen Titans make their debut tonight as they face off against a group of skilled villians.

[​IMG]

Episode #3 "Final Exam"
    Original Airdate - July 19th, 2003 - Series Premiere

Gizmo, Mammoth and Jinx - members of Hive Academy - try to make an impression on Slade by taking out the Titans.

Comments?

REMEMBER

Keep the talkback civil! Any flaming seen being done to other members and/or their opinions will be met with severe warnings and/or possible bans.

2. Killtacular

Killtacular the race wars had begun

This episode is not a great way to introduce the show. The show seems more about character focus and relationships than generic situations like "evil team vs. good team".

If anyone is planning on only watching one episode of the series, tune in next week and watch "Sisters", a much better episode of the show than this.

This isn't BAD, it's just not great, and has some glaring flaws (Robin's magical reappearance, and I won't go further than that since it's spoiler territory).

3. The Detective

The Detective New Member

*checks TV Guide* Yep nothing else is on. Guess I'll have to watch it. :shrug:

Just kidding I'm actually looking forward to it. :p

4. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin

Another heads up...

As with the "Twilight" talkback, do *not* post play-by-play impressions for this episode. If you must do so, then join the AIM (AOL Instant Messanger) chatroom (name: Teen Titans Final Exam). See ya there..

-BB

5. SNS

SNS "I am..."

Just out of curiousity, why isn't that allowed? (Toonami, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, & the WBC all allow it)

6. Supernovametalstar

Supernovametalstar New Member

I have a question. Why are they not starting with episode #1? Call me picky, but I usually like to see things from the beginning even if the show doesn't follow a continuing storyline.

7. Mazinger Z

Mazinger Z New Member

I am going to see this with really low expectations, i am a 27 year old engineer so i know this is not targeted for me so dont flame me if i come back with negative response once the episode ends.

8. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

I'm going to go on record early as saying that I really dig "Final Exam." In fact, I may be the only person here who actually did (or will) enjoy "Final Exam" more than "Sisters."

It's a strange thing for me to admit. When a Batman or Justice League episode has weak characters or simplistic conflict or flat plots, I'm usually in here bellyaching with the best of them, and rolling my eyes at the way that flash and sizzle can't make up for these story deficiencies. But "Final Exam" has such cartoony exuberance that it doesn't matter; complaining about a weak story here is like complaining about weak stories in a Popeye or a Tom & Jerry. The sheer artistry not only carries it, it renders the whole idea of "story" beside the point. "Sisters" has more of what people look for in a superhero action show, and I actually think it gets a little bit in the way -- you wonder if you're supposed to take its shallow plot seriously. I had no such doubts about "Final Exam," which is a pure carb rush.

So, that's going to be me, lonely at the top, giving the show 5 stars. :D

9. The Detective

The Detective New Member

It was probably a good idea to post the "no flame" reminder. Things could get nasty in here, I have the idea that people will ethier love this or hate it. I'm going in with really low expectations so on't be disapointed if it's bad but will be surpised if it's good.

Just thirty minutes!

10. Animation Otaku

Animation Otaku New Member

I believe this was the third episode produced but intended to be the pilot episode.

11. DianaGohan

DianaGohan New Member

Like most other of CN's Original/CC shows, there is no specific first episode, but rather an episode that the Executives would feel would work best first and then air the first episode at a later date. Along with the other idea that this was not the first episode produced but was made to be the first episode shown.

12. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin

Keeps the talkback cleaner, although this one is already getting awefully cluttered. :shrug:

Please, no counting down time, or blow by blow--wait till it airs to talk about it. Or join the AIM chat (Teen Titans Final Exam).

-BB

13. Condiment King

Condiment King custom user title

"Final Exam" was a pretty good first (aired) episode for Teen Titans. It showed good characterization for everyone: Raven, Robin, Cyborg, Beast Boy, and Starfire. Though each was limited, that's what you get when you have five people on a show. You can't get around that. Later will be more character focused episodes and the show will begin to take shape.

The animation was, while not as spiffy as Justice League looks on the screen at first, was definately good and it worked for the show. It seemed to integrate better than JL's does with the show. I really don't know how to explain that one.

The voice acting was great. I wasn't really expecting that. Robin's voice will take some use to considering this is the same man who played Andy French's kid brother in MISSION HILL. (Yes, the voice was familar for a reason, folks. ;) )

While the plot was pretty good, it was kind of hard to follow at points, though the action scenes were pretty good.

A few flaws though, such as Robin kinda appearing out of nowhere at the end. Didn't really make much sense to me.

Also, the kid was...horrible. He said too many "kiddy" zing words like crud or snot. Oh yes, and mega crud. If I don't hear that again on the show, it will be too soon.

This is definately a fun show and not for people who want another BTAS (not gonna happen) or the exact same premise as Justice League ( :yawn: ), so you pretty much have to take it as it is, and as I took it, it was pretty good and it has a good future.

Four stars.

14. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

While I found the opening theme annoying but other than that it was ok. The Teen Titans personality wise act more like Young Justice than The Titans but these are different times so expecting them to be like the classic 80's team isnt a given.

general comments-

The Hive is a organization that in the comics gave The Titains lots of trouble it seems they have combined them somewhat with the Fearsome Five (well atleast Mammoth anyway).

Not sure what city they are in ( in The comics they operated out of Manhattan perhaps it is the same here as well).

I dont like when the animation gets "cartoony" with the buildings flexing in a unnatrual way.

Robin has them working very good as a team. I like who he seems to think out situations and have plans ( Batman's training at its finest).

Its a fun show , not very serious but worth checking out. I'll probably keep watching.

15. Mazinger Z

Mazinger Z New Member

Well, the animation is great, the opening tune is really catchy, but by God could there be a more mindless plot than that? And i though that the He-Man pilot was an extended fight scene, this really took the cake. Action for action's sake, i will watch all the new episodes, but when the series statrs it reruns that will be sayonara for me. As they say here, que episodio mas flojo (what a weak episode)

16. Batman's Biggest Fan

Batman's Biggest Fan Member

Well, that was different. Have you noticed a similarite between this and Justice League's Secret Origins? Both Batman and Robin are presumed to be dead, then reappear and save their teammates. Also why is this show made like anime? And why is Robin hagning out in public, man Batman would kill him. And now something might be going on with Robin and Starfire, another thing for the producers to toy with during this series. Anyway, I will watch occassionally. But it's not a show I'm willing to buy on DVD.

3 stars

17. BeyondGotham

BeyondGotham Batmanytb.com

Well, first let me say that mys son (whose 5) wanted to know where Batman was. The he wanted to know why Robin was wearing red and green (he knows Robin wears Red and Black)

With that aside, I'll say my kids really liked it, and liked the toon (TEEN TIANS!)

I thought it was cute, but could have been done better.. WAY better. But, then again, I guess this was intended for the 5 year olds.

I like Rave, shes cool, and I think maybe the best one (that includes Robin)

I didn't like Robin's voice, sometimes it sounded like he was more mature than he really is.

I did like the little comment about Gotham,

All in all, could be a whole lot better, but not a bad little show

18. Killtacular

Killtacular the race wars had begun

Next week's episode is a bit closer to the typical DCA vain. Much more character interaction and humor. There's still action but not an overload like tonight's.

19. Tea

Tea >:D

Well, after almost two months worth of waiting, I can finally do a review. :anime:

The intro was NOT at all what I expected it to be, even with the screenshots I saw ahead of time. :eek: I kinda prefer the trailer to this but oh well. It was alright.

Jinx has an awesome character design and I liked her as a villain. It's a shame we'll probably never see her again. Cyborg and Beast Boy had some pretty good lines. ("There's no meat in pepperoni!") Starfire sounded a little bland at first but I got use to it. She's a very sweet character. Raven is a close fav. However, as far as character introductions go, I felt like we were just kinda thrown into the middle.. But with all the reviews saying that this was the weaker of the two episodes, the show will no doubt get better anyway. :D

It's a good thing I taped it, so I can watch it again while hyper on sugar. That's probably the best way to see it.

Nobody asked how Robin returned from the dead? o _ o

I give it a respectable 4.

[edit]After re-watching this episode a few times, I think I got more use to the characters so if I could change my grade I'd now give it 4.5/5. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2003
  20. Wag

Wag Member

Well, I was dissapointed.

It seems that in the past they at least made an effort to hold an adult's attention. It seems no such effort was made here.

I'll give this one a pass.