1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ted Turner's doomsday tape finally revealed!

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

There is a scene in Gremlins 2 where Ted Turner expy Daniel Clamp inserts a tape into his satellite feed that he had specially made in the event of the end of the world. In the commentary track for Gremlins 2, the writers mention they ran into somebody from CNN who said, "How'd you find out about our tape?" Apparently Turner actually had such a thing prepared. They made it sound like the joke was a coincidence, but now I have my doubts.

Turner, in fact, stated himself, at the launch of CNN, that he had this tape made already. And he mentioned it again several times through his reign:

I like to think "I keep this tape around" means Turner literally kept it in his suit jacket at all times. Because you never know!

[​IMG]

Anyway, the tape is finally out, thanks to a former CNN intern who recorded it off a computer screen from the CNN digital archives. It's....underwhelming; just the band. The Gremlins version was much better.

This Is The Video CNN Will Play When The World Ends

2. rockmonster

rockmonster Member

:confused:I dunno if I should play the video....Nearer My God, to Thee is sad already and I don't want to spend the whole night sobbing and/or playing a crapton of puppy vids.

3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I hope they never update the video. A nice relic, if only as a reminder that Cable News Network was extremely important for one brief moment in history.

4. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

I liked the Clamp Cable Network one better.

5. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I remember my dad talking about this when watching Gremlins 2 on TV years ago. He caught the whole Ted Turner allusions right away,