1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Taz-Mania

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by ToonamiCN20, Apr 19, 2015.

1. ToonamiCN20

ToonamiCN20 Banned

What are your thoughts on the black sheep of the Warner Bros. shows that aired on Fox Kids?

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I thought it was just OK. Not great, but OK. It could be funny at times, but I think the show just got too meta for its' own good; the nonstop 4th wall breaking jokes got old really fast for me (at a certain point the show began having entire stories built around the characters being self-aware). Despite that, I think Art Vitello deserves some credit for trying to do something with, let's face it, kind of a one-joke character; I love Taz as a character, but he's not strong enough to carry an entire series on his own.

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I wouldn't consider it the "black sheep." I personally quite liked the show as a kid, and I feel it's underappreciated.

Not a great or fantastic show by any means, and WBA has certainly done a lot worse, but it's not bad.

4. quiteliterally

Taz-Mania isn't as well-remembered as Tiny Toon Adventures or Animaniacs, but I've certainly never thought of it as a "black sheep" (I've encountered few who actively dislike it in the way that Pinky, Elmyra and The Brain is disliked).

I'm in a minority in that I actually prefer Taz-Mania to Tiny Toon Adventures (a show I watched routinely as a kid, but with hindsight I have to admit that I never particularly liked). While we're at it, I may also be the only person who actually liked Buddy Boar - I can't help but wish that they'd ditched his unpleasant tendency to spit whenever he talked instead of the character altogether.

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Taz-Mania may not have been great, but I certainly wouldn't put that series in the same category as Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain. Even at it's worst, Taz-Mania never reached PE&tB's level of badness. Taz-Mania wasn't a bad show, it was just somewhat unmemorable. There were some genuinely funny moments, but Taz's limitations as a character seemed all too obvious when he was placed front and center. Taz is cool, but he's no Bugs Bunny. Also, like Silverstar already noted, Taz-Mania definitely broke the 4th wall too often, especially in the shows' later seasons.

Regarding Buddy Boar: I think that the shows' writers just didn't know what to do with the character, to the point where they even turned this fact into a running joke throughout the rest of the shows' run.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Buddy Boar? I thought his name was Eddie, if you go by that swank theme song.

It was fun, but now it's buried in the vaults, which it doesn't deserve.

7. quiteliterally

Most people assume that the character was dropped because he was badly-received, but then in fairness he was never really given much of a chance - IIRC, Buddy only featured in two episodes in his original role as "Taz's best friend", had a supporting role in the episode where Taz and Mollie swap bodies, went AWOL for a while and eventually resurfaced as a joke character with the running gag that "no one liked him so we made him a director." Given how short-lived he was in his original role, I suspect that it was feelings amongst the show's production staff that killed Buddy's career (as opposed to him getting a particularly adverse reaction from viewers). Some speculate that he was deemed too similar to Dijeri Dingo, a character whom the writers evidently preferred - Dijeri was much more unashamedly nasty than Buddy, so some found him funnier, although I personally didn't care for Dijeri's knowingly jerkass behaviour so much.

Wendel T. Wolf was another of my favourite characters, though I do realise with hindsight what a cliche it was for a cartoon of this era to have a supporting character based on Woody Allen. (I was also kind of surprised when I twigged that he was supposed to be a Tasmanian tiger, given how little he resembles one, but then I suppose that Taz only vaguely resembles an actual Tasmanian devil).

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought the show was great. True, they overdid it with the meta, but that was part of its charm.

9. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

People who say Taz-Mania was weak hasn't really seen a weak cartoon. (Try Mucha Lucha, Baby Looney Tunes, The Looney Tunes Show, Johnny Test, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue, Scooby Mystery Inc, Batman The Brave and the Bold, Mad, Teen Titans Go, Tom and Jerry Show or Be Cool Scooby-Doo)

The only Warner Bros comedy show better than Taz-Mania is Tiny Toons. Third is Freakazoid. Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain is fourth.

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I don't recall anyone here saying that Taz-Mania was weak; I certainly never said nor implied that, I'm no anti-fan of Taz-Mania, there just were/are other WB shows that I enjoy(ed) more.

Also, your opinion =/= fact. Saying something is unequivocally better or worse than another is opinion and nothing more. Plus, some of those assessments are way off. Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Scooby-Doo: Mystery, Inc. weak? Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?? Both of those shows were well-made and popular and managed to secure lots of loyal fans; even if you weren't into the shows themselves, one has to at least admire the skill, craft, precision, care and genuine effort that went into them. They sure as shootin' don't belong in the same category as iMucha Lucha!, Baby Looney Tunes, Johnny Test, Teen Titans GO! and The Tom & Jerry Show. And it's really not fair to toss Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! into this category since the show hasn't premiered yet; all we've seen of it is some artwork and a single clip of animation. At least wait until the show debuts and we've seen a few episodes before passing sentence on it.

Again, you're stating your personal opinions as facts. You have every right to think and feel the way you do, but you don't have the right to claim something like the above as fact, especially when it's quite clear that other people feel differently than you.

Opinions on those other shows can and will differ, but Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain was crap, pure and simple. It was an ill-conceived, improperly thought out and poorly executed piece of dreck that should have never gotten out of the idea stage. I can't even give WB credit for trying with that one.

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

[​IMG]

I don't mean to derail this discussion, but Batman: The Brave and the Bold was not weak. It was a clever, well written love letter to the Silver Age Detective Comics. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it just annoys me when people write off B&tB as being trash simply because it was quirky and fun and not dark and gritty like Batman: The Animated Series. B&tB definitely does not deserve to be lumped in the same category as Baby Looney Tunes, Teen Titans GO!, iMucha Lucha! and The Tom & Jerry Show.

For the record, my list of Warner Brothers' 1990s animated comedy goes like this:

1. Animaniacs!
    2. Tiny Toon Adventures
    3. Freakazoid!
    4. Taz-Mania/Pinky and the Brain (tie)

Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain doesn't make my list. Apologies to any one who enjoyed PE&tB, but that show was garbage. Even the people who worked on that show didn't like it.

12. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Only 2 DVD's of the cartoon were made (Mostly the first season episodes) to date, but none planned for the future.

13. Jared DiCarlo

Jared DiCarlo New Member

As my first post on this site, I thought I could chime in. For the past couple of days, I've been watching some episodes of this show, and it's quickly become one of my favorites. It needs MOAR love! My personal favorite characters are Digeri Dingo and Bull and Axl.

14. PiotrGT

PiotrGT Member

It was OK. Not as good as Animaniacs or Tiny Toons but OK. It always confused me how Taz's family was normal while he was, you know, kinda different. It looks like a family with mentally ill child.