Target-Exclusive “JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time” Movie Hitting DVD on January 21st, 2014

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has confirmed that the original all-ages animated feature JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time will hit DVD on January 21st, 2014. The DVD-only release will be available only at US Target locations starting next week. Click the image below for a closer look at the cover art.

[​IMG]
    Dubbed a "stealth release," wherein a home entertainment product is given no promotion and limited availability due to its perceived audience reach, JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time is an all-new original movie featuring the Justice League facing off against the Legion of Doom. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has currently not provided any official details about the animated movie, but producer Giancarlo Volpe (Green Lantern: The Animated Series) has recently taken to social media to drop a few tidbits.

With a runtime of roughly 52 minutes, Volpe called the animated feature an "all-new adventure, featuring the Justice League and the Legion of Doom, plus a couple curve balls." Volpe also stated that the movie features design work by Lynell Forestall (DC Nation), and includes the traditional Justice League line-up along with a few new additions, like Robin and Karate Kid.

Additional details can be found at The World's Finest.

The talkback for this movie will go live Tuesday morning.

2. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

Interesting, Karate Kid being part of the Justice League is very left field, but is so is this movie. I'll wait for a review before picking this up.

3. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

I'm in. Hope there is more than a "stealth response" as I would love to see more of these types of projects.

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

I vaguely recognize the winged woman in the upper-left corner of the cover art over Superman's shoulder. I wanted to guess that it was a member of the Global Guardians, but looking them up now shows that the only possible match is Owlwoman, but she's also not the character I was thinking of. Someone help a brother out?

Either way, an interesting change-up from DC Animation in a number of different ways. I wonder if this isn't an outgrowth of the DC Nation shorts program rather than the DTV side of things.

EDIT: Two other random thoughts. If the "Adventures" tag is meaningful, it might be a callback to the assorted "adventures" titles during the BTAS-to-JL era, where the tie-in comics distinguished themselves from the mainline comics as Batman Adventures or Justice League Adventures. Perhaps this is a field test to see if there's demand for G-to-PG-related DTVs instead of the PG-13 territory the existing DTVs have staked out?

The other item is that the Karate Kid is a Legion of Superheroes character, so his appearing on the cover and in the comments announced so far also tie in to the "Trapped in Time" title since he's supposed to be in the 31st century. The LoSH show apparently had an episode with him in it, but I hadn't ever seen it. Also makes me wonder if the winged woman in the cover art is another Legion member, but I definitely don't know enough about them in the comics to guess who it is.

EDIT x2: And RoryWilliams correctly identifies winged woman as Dawnstar from the LoSH. So this looks like a JL/Legion teamup of sorts. Interesting.

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

Isn't that Dawnstar from the Legion of Superheroes? I assumed she was there because of Karate Kid.

6. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

If anyone gets this I'd like to see the full cast listing.

7. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

If Kevin Conroy is Batman then I will buy this for that reason alone.

8. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Sounds like Diedrich Bader is Batman again.

This is an odd one, isn't it?

Why release something with no significant purpose? It doesn't sound like it's here to kickstart an animated series, a PG DTV line, a toyline or anything for that matter. Just a random product that took over a year to make, just so you can sell it to a very limited auidence?

9. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

This sounds interesting. I like the idea that it might be more light hearted than some of the more serious DTV movies they've put out in the past.

But why was it being kept a secret? It's okay if they don't want to give it any official promotion, but shouldn't people (the people who put it together) be able to talk about it on twitter or something? Rather than all of a sudden saying it comes out in less than a week?

I'm interested, but like Dragonpiece said, I think I'll need to see a review of it first before I buy it.

10. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Diedrich Bader? Where's that from?

It is a strange one, I keep thinking is this gonna be a below par film like Brainiac Attacks or something better than that but also viewable for the kiddies. (Kind of like the Marvel Young Avengers film).

also I'm wondering if I'm gonna be able to get this at all cause I live in the UK.

11. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

It says right there in the article.

12. Bobbywoodhogan

Oops lol sorry I only skimmed

13. Hero Supreme

Hope this isn't the upcoming Aquaman movie :) though good to see he is in it.

14. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Grey DeLisle did say she voiced Wonder Woman at some point last year. Guess we have that project.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  15. Bobbywoodhogan

And Jason Spisak voiced Wally West in Young Justice so maybe he's voicing the Flash

tbh knowing that people who worked on Green Lantern are doing this it has me thinking it could be good

16. reflection

reflection Active Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with the JL Target ad from this summer below:

17. Hero Supreme

Hope thats not a clip. :) Though I do love the designs.

18. ElfGrove

ElfGrove Guest

I think the ad is just meant to be generic. Target has been marketing a line of general Justice League merchandise for almost a year now.

19. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Wow!!!

So if this is a serious story like Green Lantern animated series then I'll get it.

How come this wasn't publicized a year ago???

We we already know about DC animated movies years in advance like JL War, we all know about it last year.

20. ElfGrove

ElfGrove Guest

It's not really clearly specified as to why they chose to do a stealth release, "due to its perceived audience reach", is PR double speak which seems to indicate they don't particularly like nor wish to spend advertising dollars on the market they expect to go for this film. It seems like poor marketing to me.

Between the World's Finest Online article and Giancarlo Volpe (previously of Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Avatar: The Last Airbender) we know Lynell Forestall (artist behind the DC Nation Black Lightning shorts) and Frederik Wiedmann (composer Green Lantern: The Animated Series, JL: The Flashpoint Paradox, Beware The Batman) worked on this film. We also know the voice acting talent includes: Jason Spisak, Grey DeLisle, Dante Basco, Jack DeSena, Kevin Michael Richardson, Laura Bailey, and Diedrich Bader.

Diedrich Bader has been confirmed as Batman.
    Jason Spisak is confirmed as The Flash.
    It seems safe to assume Grey DeLisle is likely Wonder Woman due to prior experience as the character in the DC Nation Wonder Woman short, and Kevin Michael Richardson will likely be reprising his prior roles as Cyborg.

Based on the cover art, this leaves several possibilities remaining between Dante Basco and Jack De Sena (his prior DC role is as Jimmy Olsen), and unless she is voicing a villain makes Laura Bailey the most likely Dawnstar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.