1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tangled: The Series" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 3, 2015.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I once had a passing argument about a Tangled sequels with one of the producers at D23. I asked about a sequel. They said they weren't sure because Rapunzel lost her long hair. I simply said, "Well, what if it grows back?" I received a blank look at that.

2. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

WHEE! This is perfect! We never had Disney animated series based on movies since Lilo & Stitch and The Emperor's New Groove. Maybe Tangled will be the key to get rid all of the stupid un-funnyy teen-sitcoms for good. If this is the new CEO of ABC and Disney Channel Ben Sherwood's idea, then God bless him.:D

3. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Ummmm, I think you guys are forgetting about Tron: Uprising. It's based on a live-action movie, but it's still technically an animated series based on a movie. And if preschool series count, then Miles from Tomorrowland fits the bill too. (I think there's a Lion King series coming soon too; and would The 7D count?)

Regardless, I'm a bit surprised by this. For one, I'm surprised they picked Tangled over Frozen. For two, I'm surprised they picked the main channel for an animated series over XD. For three, I'm surprised they're making it a full-fledged 22-minute series as opposed to shorts. I may check it out.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Um, no. For one thing, Disney Channel's animated and live-action shows aren't in competition with one another, and for another, as long as the teencoms continue to put butts into seats, they're not going anywhere. How much hate those shows get online doesn't amount to squadoosh, as most of the people complaining about them aren't the target audience for them; it doesn't change the fact the teen sitcoms still have an audience big enough to keep them going. Anyway, just don't watch the teencoms if they're not to your liking, it's not like you're being forced to.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I forgot about Tron: Uprising, but I only watched a couple of episodes. There is that Lion King series coming out next year, so that counts too.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I can only hope it turns out better than those two!

The Lion King show is for Disney Junior...there won't be much for us in it.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Even though it is made for Disney Junior, it's still a series based off an animated movie, so it still counts technically.

8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I'd totally watch THIS. Either that, or a Big Hero 6 animated series. Preferrably BOTH need to be made - as in not just this (here's hoping it turns out better than the movie, however -the potential for something bigger seems like it's here than just what the original movie had given us, TBH.). Anything to hopefully continue a positive streak for Disney and their TV animation department.

9. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, Tangled is one of my favorite movies, I have an unconditional love for it and its characters, so returning to this world and this characters makes me ecstatic. On the other hand, they could ruin a great thing.

But I remain cautiosly optmistic. Moore and Levi are back, most of the movie crew are returning, and well, I just love Tangled so I'll hope for the best.

10. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I'm kinda shocked to see this coming to the Disney Channel, rather than Disney XD
    I was under the impression that the Disney Channel was getting rid of all animation, and that Disney XD was going to be the animation channel from now on

I think Timon & Pumba was a pretty good show in its own right

#30 SaneMan, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  11. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Disney XD markets to boys. This show will be marketed to girls. Of course, it's going to be on Disney Channel.

12. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Place your bets - even if this turns out good, or even awesome, how long will it likely last on a channel known to shun cartoons quite easily, unlike DXD?

13. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I initially thought that this show was giong to Disney Junior, like The 7D when it was announced.

14. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

That's what they said about Star vs. The Forces of Evil too. That being said, unlike that, this is based on a marketable franchise/character, so that might make the difference.

A better comparison would actually probably be Sofia the First - while not directly based on a movie, it has the Disney Princesses in it. But this doesn't seem as preschool based as those were.

15. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

XD doesn't care about genders for their animated shows. Also, it will probably just premiere on DC then the rest of the show will air on XD.

16. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Or eventually move to XD......once Disney Channel decides they have no room for it like all the rest that went to syndication. Man I really want them to admit they should have another Toon Channel to compete with CN/Teletoon/Teletoon Retro. Toons are still just as popular and this only proves that. I know here in Canada DC and CN/Teletoon/Teletoon Retro is all owned by the same company. But I'm thinking more as a US aspect to spur a change.

#36 jfoley85, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  17. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Disney XD is their toon channel. The Mouse House has no need or desire to launch a 5th channel just for cartoons. They already have XD for the all-ages cartoons and Disney Junior for the preschool ones. Overall, Disney doesn't focus that heavily on TV animation because they have several animation studios dedicated to films which garner more success than their cable network programs.

18. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

They could at the very least create a Toon block on XD with DuckTales coming back in 2017 as well who knows what else this will spur for TV animation. Then the rest of it can focus on boys live action.But alas I think your right. They may never add a 5 th channel.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember enjoying Timon and Pumbaa a lot when I was little, but when I watched it again when I was older, it didn't hold up that well. I thought that Lilo and Stitch the series was pretty good though and I remember enjoying the Aladdin TV series, even though I don't know how well that holds up.

20. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

A few years back Play House Disney Channel (now known as Disney Junior and soon to become Family Junior) had Aladdin TV series. I still enjoyed it until it was pulled off the schedule. Tangled and DuckTales New series will be to a whole new generation and I have no doubt people will still like them.