1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tangled: The Series" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

How does adding new characters throw off the original continuity? It's not like they can't simply add characters to something like their eventual wedding without being confusing. Unless a character or their actions specifically contradict the movie's continuity, then I don't see the problem, especially when they flat out stated that Rapunzel and Eugene do still end up being married at the end. Plus, why bother making a TV series out of a movie if you aren't going to make new characters? It would make the world seem very small if we only stuck with the characters from the movie.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

What the Hair?! was pretty sweet/enjoyable, next awesome "girl power" series I love after Kim Possible/Star Vs. The Forces of Evil,

Still love the amazing Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero-like animation for the series.

Mother Gothel's appearance foreshadowing in Rapunzel's nightmare will lead to her return/resurrection, I'll enjoy her return, but in the Big Hero 6 series, I'll enjoy Professor Robert Callaghan(Yokai)'s return:D.

Cassandra, a great new supporting female character, her being a jerkette antagonizing Eugene was enjoyable for me, agreeing with TheVileOne, I get a feeling Mother Gothel is manipulating Cassandra.

Rapunzel/Eugene, awesome enjoyable major protagonists, Mandy Moore/Zachary Levi's return roles as them is sweet.

Rapunzel/Cassandra wanting to solve the mystery on how Rapunzel's golden hair grew back was great.

Eugene and the keeping secrets was funny.

Nice seeing the bar thugs.

Varian, awesome likable new supporting kid character, funny that he's a fanboy of Flynn Rider:D.

I feel for poor Varian when his machines are unstable endangering the village:(, he'll redeem himself to make better machines to help people.

Cool that both Rapunzel/Eugene will not keep secrets anymore.

The great foreshadowing ending.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #202 Radical, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It's hardly a new thing. The How to Train Your Dragon TV series added tons of new characters. Kung Fu Panda TV series as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Saw the first episode. It was very good and I'm glad the production value hasn't changed between Before Ever After and the show. Visually it's one of the most enticing shows Disney Television Animation has at the moment. I'm also kinda glad the plot with Varian ended on a downer because that means there's going to be continuity. I hope his story gets a proper resolve eventually.

Not a fan of Cassandra though, like, at all. It's not often that I'm so turned off by a fictional character. After everything Eugene and Rapunzel went through in the first movie and here she is talking about how she doesn't trust him and junk. Girl, nobody even knew you existed before this show. Take a seat. I wish Eugene would rat you out.

Ahem. I'm intrigued to see where the story goes from here, and especially if it means we get to see the return Mother Gothel. She was one of my favorite things about Tangled, no doubt.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #204 DeanBurrito25, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  5. TheVileOne

Reporter

Yeah I'm kind of getting to that point with Cassandra as well. But that's why my gut is telling me there are some ulterior motives. Whether it's lust for Rapunzel ;) or some connection to Mother Gothel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DeanBurrito25

Come to think of it, she does resemble Mother Gothel a bit, doesn't she? Dark hair, light skin...if she was revealed to be a villain, that might genuinely redeem her character for me.

Granted, that's already been done in Disney movies in the past few years like Wreck-It Ralph...and Frozen...and Big Hero 6...and Zootopia...but still.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Yeah, if Cassandra doesn't turn out to be a villain, I'll be surprised - she has no business getting in the way of a legit relationship / the actual chemistry Repzy and Flynn actually have and are still showing. I don't care if we're only close to 5 episodes in - Cassandra's writing lacks the charm/wit/conviction to be all that tolerable with her behavior towards BOTH of the leading characters. It's just succeeding in making her look bad.

8. DeanBurrito25

Backtracking to the most recent episode, how coincidental we get an episode about how you can't get everyone to like you after I spent a paragraph railing on how much I don't like Cassandra last week, lol. Ironically, she wasn't even in the forefront of the episode all that much, so her appearances didn't irk me. I am also glad that her and Eugene can at least agree on a total of one thing.

The candy man voiced by Richard Kind was a little too hard on Rapunzel, all on things that she either can't control or define who she is. Changing the seal was one thing but that was a bit much. At least they too came to a mutual agreement that neither of them can stand each other by the end of the episode because it would have been so easy to make him have a change of heart. I commend that the episode didn't shy away from the issue, anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheVileOne

Reporter

I'm still confused about why Uncle Monty hates Rapunzel, especially when he's this beloved figure who likes everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

And it's not like she would know much about the kingdom's traditions with her being locked up in a tower for most of her life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was okay. It was nice to get something a bit lighter after the TV movie premiere and the previous episode. Rapunzel not understanding what booing meant was kind of adorable, especially with how Eugene reacted to it and had to explain things to her. He even quickly picked up that Monty was the one who booed Rapunzel before almost saying something that could have hurt her feelings.

I like the idea behind this episode's conflict. Not everyone is going to like you and it is important for people to understand that, but I feel like that execution was a bit off. For starters, making Monty this well known figure in the kingdom that likes virtually everyone else was kind of ridiculous. I know it was make Rapunzel upset and determined to find out why he hated her, but it really didn't work to have him go from a kind old man beloved by the kingdom only to start throwing tomatoes at Rapunzel's statue. It feels too jarring and nonsensical that this one person would only dislike one other person. Not to mention it doesn't really fit the message they're going for if this one person likes everyone else and everyone else likes him. Plus, his reason behind it was kind of awful. I can understand not liking the new seal, but getting on Rapunzel's case for not being into the traditions was kind of stupid. He wouldn't know exactly what happened to her, but he should know that she was kidnapped and away from the kingdom for most of her life. In fact, this was her first time at one of these events, so how could she have been aware of all the traditions? Not being open to some new ways of handling traditions also kind of just made him look like he didn't like change, so it put Monty in a much worse light than Rapunzel could have for this situation. It just felt like a shallow and stupid reason to hold such a grudge against her, especially when she wouldn't be as familiar with these traditions compared to the people who have lived in the kingdom their whole lives.

I kind of liked that they didn't become friends though. I guess they kind of became frienemies, although the ending with Monty smiling at his medal kind of made me think that he was happier with Rapunzel than he wanted to let on for some reason. Rapunzel was at least happy with their situation so it wasn't bothering her anymore. Overall, it was an okay episode.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheVileOne

Reporter

Good idea, didn't stick the landing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Isn't this weird that I thought Maximus the horse is so cute and cuddly?

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheVileOne

Reporter

I don't think it's weird at all and likely intentional. He is a Disney mascot type of character.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this week's episode was pretty good. It was nice to give Eugene some focus. As much as I do find his relationship with Rapunzel sweet and endearing, it's still good to give him something else to do beyond that. His struggle to find a job was kind of funny and I liked how he decided to become a Royal Guard. I honestly wasn't sure if we'd meet Casandra's father, but I guess we already did. The character designs for most of the guards are really generic and he didn't have a different uniform from the others either.

I actually kind of liked that Casandra was upset over what her father was doing to Eugene. She still wouldn't want to say that she likes him or cares about him, but she didn't like that her father was making things rough for Eugene either, so that helped to make their constant arguing at least a bit more bearable. Eugene was more fit as a Royal Guard than any of the other jobs he tried, but he still wasn't into following rules and regulations. It was pretty cool how he was able to get the painting back and I really liked the ending they went with instead. The whole Royal Guard plot was played very much like when a former thief becomes a police officer and that can work, but I don't think it would for Eugene given his issues with rules. That and having him on guard duty so often would be kind of boring and potentially limit what he could do with helping Rapunzel. Simply teaching the guards on how thieves think was a much better solution. He can still use his skills to help around the palace, but not be confined by authority or be stuck around the palace if Rapunzel finds any more leads about her hair.

The side plot with the royal portrait wasn't too engaging, but I really liked how they ended it. It seems like Rapunzel's monster was a lot like her when she was younger. Choosing to make a painting of the two of them together was quite sweet and heartwarming. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheVileOne

Reporter

I wonder if it will come up with Eugene having to earn the King's approval to marry Rapunzel. I can't believe the King sees him as a suitable mate for his daughter.

17. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Well Eugene was the guy who brought his missing daughter back to him. So I can see why the King doesn't have any problems with Eugene.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheVileOne

Reporter

Helping bring her back and letting him live in the castle is one thing, letting him marry your little girl is another. Just from their interactions, I still get the sense that the King doesn't like him very much.

19. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Fitzherbert P.I. was pretty awesome/funny,

Rapunzel preparing for her royal portrait was great.

Eugene's struggling on finding a job was so funny.

Both the Captain of the Guard and the criminal, my favorite great new antagonists, the Captain is a great nemesis for Eugene while rooting for Eugene to beat him, hehehe:p.

Eugene training to be a royal guard was great/enjoyable, he'll be the best new royal guard.

Shorty was awesome/funny.

Nice of Cassandra to help Eugene, she kind of shows a soft side for him which was nice.

Rapunzel and Queen Arianna's great mother/daughter moment was great, Queen Arianna, my next favorite awesome mother:D.

The criminal was great/clever disguised as The Giovanni.

Eugene saving the day and becoming a new royal guard was sweet.

That's an awesome portrait.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this week's episode was okay. It was fairly straight forward, but Cassandra didn't come off as unlikable despite being the main focus. Her conflict was understandable. Even with her skills as a fighter, she would still have to prove herself even more than others simply because she's a woman. Although, I also feel like this conflict could have been easily solved with Cassandra simply talking to Rapunzel about her feelings and why she felt strongly about the competition. Rapunzel clearly understood and felt bad about it. You could say that Rapunzel should have known about Cassandra's feelings as a friend, but she was pretty naive about the competition, hasn't had a lot of experience with friendships during her life and just saw the whole event as a chance to have fun with her friend. Plus, I can understand the whole not picking up on something that would seemingly be obvious for anyone else. That happens to me all the time. It can be quite confusing and frustrating.

Still, I liked how Rapunzel was so cheerful with everyone, Eugene cheering her on after seeing that she was okay was adorable and how they resolved the conflict at the end was pretty nice. The next episode sounds a bit more interesting since Rapunzel will try to get Eugene and Cassandra to work together and it could explain why Cassandra doesn't like Eugene.