1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tangled: The Series" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

I'm not against LGBT, but putting that kind of stuff in this show would feel like it's pandering to the Tumblr people just for ratings desperation. It'll also feel forced too.

Honestly, I don't think Disney is that ready to leash out LGBT material yet. Maybe in a few years down the line, but not now. A lot of parents (especially those from One Million Moms) are still against LGBT, despite gay marriage opening up in more U.S. states.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Technically, Disney did show an LGBT couple a few times: Good Luck Charlie (the subplot of the penultimate episode), Future Worm (Bug's parents at the beginning of the episode "Bug Vs The Babysitter), Gravity Falls (Sheriff Blubb and Deputy Derland, although it's more heavily implied instead of outright stated), and Star Vs The Forces Of Evil (a background scene during the song in the episode "Just Friends"). Although if you mean in terms of long term development in any Disney show, then it would take a while since the ones I mentiones only happened once.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if I'd see it as pandering if they did go in that direction, but I still think that knowing who ends up with who would make it feel ultimately pointless. Introducing another female character for Cassandra to develop feelings for would feel a bit more natural, but that isn't what the show is about. It's about Rapunzel and Eugene's journey towards their wedding day. Something like a gay or bi character would need to be handled with care and I'm not sure if Disney is up for doing that just yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Would it really be pandering though if there was a character who had a crush on or was attracted to Rapunzel and happened to be female? One could argue that it's unfair that children's shows are OK with depicting male/female romantic relationships but not ones between couples of the same gender.

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I thought some of the later episodes were pretty explicit about those two and their relationship to each other. Can't remember anything specific off the top of my head though...

In any event, from all reports the live-action Andi Mack is going to have a character coming to terms with their sexuality at some point, making the love-that-dare-not-speak-its-name that much more likely to speak its name on Disney Channel. Modern times. However, despite that, I think the whole Cassandra/Rapunzel thing is fans putting a theory together than something that the filmmakers slipped in. There was one of those flying around recently about Pixar films (I want to say it was either "all Pixar movies are in the same universe" or something involving Andy from Toy Story) where someone fielded it to a Pixar director who laughed and said, "That's a good theory, but no, it's not what we were thinking at all."

It's not that it's a bad theory, or that someone can't continue to believe it if they choose to. Once art escapes in to the wild, the creators kind of lose the ability to control or regulate what people think about it. That's harder than ever these days, with people increasingly determined to believe exactly what they want to believe in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Anyway, silly theories aside, tomorrow is the night. That Disney Channel is starting to recover starting with Tangled the Series. YAY!

• Like Like x 1
    #186 TsWade2, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  7. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

The new episode is really good. Super fun with some great Rapunzel and Eugene scenes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Heads up: The episode "What the Hair?!" is currently free to download on iTunes. I'll give it a watch later; hopefully I enjoy it as much as the film.

• Like Like x 1
    #188 SB20xx, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was really good. The intro was good. The storybook showcasing the events of the TV movie was a nice touch. The dream sequence at the beginning was obvious, but it does make me wonder if Mother Gothel is somehow involved with the black spikes that caused Rapunzel's hair to return. I think that she said that the dreams kept happening and it was affecting her hair as well.

I liked the new character that they introduced. He seemed fun and generally likable. I liked that he was a fan of Flyn Rider, but Eugene kept trying to explain that it wasn't really him in those books. I thought that was a nice way to show more of how he changed from the events of the movie. While I can understand why they set up the whole keeping secrets from each other thing, it did feel a bit forced. I don't recall Eugene having problems keeping secrets in either of the movies. That might not have been too bad if Rapunzel's relationship with Cassandra was better established, but it felt like an attempt of creating drama. That being said, I kind of liked what they were going for when he learned about the machines underneath the city. He wanted to prove that he could keep a secret, but there are things that you shouldn't keep secret, especially when people's lives are in danger. It can be tricky to know when to keep secrets and when not to do so, but that is an important distinction. Granted, I could be reading a bit much into it, but I thought that was a good lesson.

Obviously, the test results would be destroyed. It's way too early for them to find out everything about her hair and they probably wouldn't have revealed everything, or even anything about her hair either. I really loved how Rapunzel and Eugene were going to stay together even when the building was going to come down on them. They both thought that they were going to die, but chose to stay together. That's the kind of romantic fluff that I can get behind. Even though Rapunzel hair can't heal anymore, or at least not with the song, it can act as a shield. I liked that they chose to not keep secrets anymore. Keeping the truth from Eugene any longer really wouldn't have worked and after nearly dying with her, he deserved to know what happened. The black spike showing up right at the end does make me wonder if it will cover the whole kingdom in the future. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheVileOne

Reporter

I'm glad they are giving names to the thugs from the bar. That being said, I was a little disappointed they just gave them basic names like what they were credited as in the film. So Hook Hand Thug is now just...Hook Hand. Big Nose Thug is now...Big Nose. But he is now voiced by Jeffrey Tambor, so bit of an upgrade there. I get giving them nicknames, but couldn't give them some actual names?

Also Cassandra is a jerk because Eugene did keep the secret after her hair grew back. He wasn't the one who let that cat out of the bag. Also props to Eugene for basically being the only character in this episode with common sense and being the voice of reason. I mean yeah, Eugene's a bit of a ditz, but he seemed to have more common sense than anyone in this episode.

Did the raccoon remind anyone else of Meeko from Disney's Pocahontas? It probably wasn't intentional, but I was like, "Oh, that reminds me of Meeko."

I definitely like the new character Varian, and I hope he can be a recurring presence for the series. I was highly amused that he is a Flynn Ryder fanboy, and he had a toy lightsaber thing. Not sure how old he's supposed to be, but I'm guessing younger than Eugene and Rapunzel, so maybe he's like 14-15? But one of the good things about having a series is we can meet new characters like Varian. I did feel bad for him even though he was responsible for all that destruction. Hopefully, he can redeem himself in another episode and get one of his machines to help and save a lot of people.

I also thought it was interesting that we learned that Eugene got the name from books. So it makes sense. He was inspired by folktale heroes and rogue characters of legend.

Also Cassandra wants to do a lot more with Rapunzel than be her handmaiden if you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Knowing what kind of show this is - kinda like how Star Wars: Rebels is for me, I don't see myself commenting too much on this damn thing, sadly - as this doesn't come off as completely casual viewing, like what I'm used to commenting on, the same sitch as Rebels, BTW. As long as things are as good as what we've gotten here so far, I'll keep watching proudly.

As a sign of relief to me, at least Mother Gothel is still dead - but in some way, she's behind the threat that's looming over everyone in the show. We're off to a good start, everything else considering. Action is being taken into Rapunzel's hair and no time feels wasted, as a result; which is welcomed nicely by me.

Here's hoping they can keep up the High Tier work here that we've gotten with this first official episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheVileOne

Reporter

The animation was very good in this episode as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I did feel pretty sad for Varian at the end as well. He was responsible for all of that destruction, but he obviously didn't want that to happen and he wanted to help his village. It was kind of sad to just leave him feeling depressed like that, but they needed to get Rapunzel and Eugene to talk about what really happened the other night anyway. Plus, it possibly makes it more likely for him to show up later to redeem himself.

I also forgot that Eugene didn't reveal that Rapunzel's hair grew back when he first saw it during the movie. That does make the whole "don't tell Eugene because he can't keep a secret" thing even more contrived and forced than I initially thought. I still appreciate that they didn't drag that out for too long and I like that Rapunzel did want to tell Eugene since she does trust and love him. She probably would have told him at the beginning of the episode if Cassandra didn't jump in when she did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TheVileOne

Reporter

Hopefully, we will see Varian again in the show and they will pick up on this thread. Like he's grounded or in the doghouse, but he will get the opportunity to redeem himself and actually save the village this time. It was kind of depressing to leave him on that moment with his father and the village. Eugene and Rapunzel didn't spare him a glance back at all :) .

Here's my other crackpot theory...is Cassandra really a bad guy? I know she's supposed to be daughter of the king's guard, but how much do we really know about her? We do know she's trying to come between Eugene and Rapunzel for some perceived notion that Eugene is bad for her. Also...she's the one that led Rapunzel to the stone that caused her hair to grow back. Could Mother Gothal be influencing Cassandra from beyond the grave to manipulate all of this.

Just to preface, that could be very farfetched. I wouldn't stake the whole show on that theory. Plus, there's at least two seasons, so this could take like 52 or more episodes to get resolved.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Great start so far. I like the chemistry between Rapunzel and Cassandra, though it may be a bit hard to completely like Cassandra knowing her unnecessary hatred towards Eugene. Seriously, why doesn't she like him?

I feel sorry for Varian. All he wanted to do is help the village. Hopefully we get more development from him real soon.

The animation is top-notch and the backgrounds looks impressing. All in all, this show looks really promising. Looking forward to next Friday's episode.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Yeah I don't think gothel is gone for good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's kind of a tradition for cartoons based on movies, particularly for Disney, to bring back the main villains of said movies at some point so I was definitely not surprised to see Mother Gothel turn up. And given the direction Rapunzel's dream took, it definitely seems like Gothel has some connection to the stone and the spikes that led to Rapunzel getting her hair back :ack:.

Varian's voice felt really familiar so I checked out the credits...and lo and behold, he's voiced by Jeremy Jordan, the actor who plays Winn on Supergirl. It's a small world after all :p.
    His voice lends itself well to making a young and enthusiastic genuis like Varian feel endearing and genuine, and I liked what we saw of him here and his fanboying and befriending Eugene :).

And I hope they give Varian his own musical number at some point, since Jeremy Jordan's also a terrific singer :anime:

So Rapunzel's hair no longer has it's healing properties, but now it can do stuff like form a shield to protect Rapunzel. It's going to be interesting to see what other new abilities Rapunzel's hair now has over the course of the season :cool:.

The fate of Varian's village, and his seemingly complicated relationship with his father, kind of ended abruptly at the end of the episode, but I imagine we'll pick up on that plot later on in the series, especially when they went to the trouble of casting Jonathan Banks as Varian's father. There definitely seems like there's more in store with those two ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Great episode. I kind of new that Mother Gothel coming back is just a dream. I didn't realize that Varian was the voice by Jeremy Jordan. Awesome. Once again, there's nothing between Rapunzel and Cassandra. Cassandra didn't like Eugene because she knows he's a former thief. And she's the daughter of the captain of the guard. Nonetheless, great episode and this is a total return of Disney Channel.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Why must every animated Disney movie-turned-TV series throw in a new character?

(e.g Darby from My Friends Tigger & Pooh, Jake, Izzy, and Cubby from Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Cassandra and Varian from Tangled: the Series, etc)

Why is this done?

It throws off the original continuity!

20. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Because a TV show needs new characters to continue running. A movie can run on limited characters because it's just one continuous 90-minute story, where a TV show that keeps using the same characters over and over again will get boring and has limited possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 2