TALKBACK - Unikitty! - "Spoooooky Game" - *SNEAK PEEK* - [10/27]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Gatordragon, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Wanna bet?

[​IMG]

Episode 1
    [​IMG]
    Friday at 6:10p/5:10c!

Spoooooky Game
    Premieres
    FRIDAY at 6:10 PM

*SNEAK PEEK*

This week...

Unikitty finds a haunted, old board game, and the players will risk a curse to reach the finish line.​

#1 Gatordragon, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

It's actually 6:10 according to my guide and these tweets:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Robin44

Robin44 Active Member

6:10? That’s directly after Teen Titans Go, Unikitty’s gonna bring in a lot of viewers!

4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Well, a lot for Cartoon Network's standards. Keep in mind, even TTG has fallen below 1 million views every so often as of late.

5. PinkiePie97

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing more next year.

6. Carlos Gutierrez

Well, Unikitty and Puppycorn won the board game together, but Dr. Fox and Hawkodile did not get restored back to normal!

7. 2-D chirox

2-D chirox Active Member

Not bad at all. It's high energy, the characters are enjoyable and distinct from one another, and the characters aren't displayed as jerks for the sake of "comedy" like TTG. Overall it's pretty good and I will watch more in 2018. I really look forward to seeing more of that Richard character (the sad looking gray Lego brick).

• Agree Agree x 2
    #7 2-D chirox, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  8. Robin44

Robin44 Active Member

Amazing sneak peek and Halloween episode, I laughed so hard when Dr. Fox was turn into a corn and the scene with Unikitty realizing she should win with her bro almost made me cry XD

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Unikitty "Spoooooky Game"

All things considered, that was an unmitigated disaster. This will be an unusually in-depth review for an 11 minute cartoon for me, as I describe why that is so, so bear with me.

I can sum up this show in five words: "Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command". It is the exact same show, with the exact same problems. The comic timing seems all right at first glance, and the animation doesn't seem especially terrible to look at, but you just feel like there is something incredibly wrong and "off" with the entire project. With Buzz Lightyear, it was that the characters were literally awful, and stupid, and unfunny, and boring, and somehow made me hate Nicole Sullivan, Stephen Furst, and Neil Flynn. Which is like a crazy impossible thing to do. The whole show was hammy, and there was a cynicism and self-awareness behind a lot of the humor that was NOT present in Toy Story at all. And that is Unikitty. Totally. I would be unsurprised if 10 years from now, LEGO has completely disowned this project. It actually seems likely to me. More than not.

My biggest complaint going in was no Alison Brie as Unikitty. Which is insane. I get that these shows are done on the cheap, but that's like WAAAAYYYY too cheap. I get why Eddie Murphy cannot voice every Shrek TV special. Alison Brie is not Eddie Murphy. No insult intended to Brie, but she is not a huge unaffordable movie star. Her last major project was a creative sitcom that was canceled after five seasons, and had to be finished on Hulu. If they wanted to, they could afford to get Alison Brie. If Rapuznel can get Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi, much bigger and more expensive stars than Brie, this show can get Brie. But no, they got Tara Strong instead.

A lot of animation fans believe that Tara Strong is the most overworked woman in voice-over and admire her for that. But if you ask me, she's the most overemployed. She's not that great an actor usually. They hired her for Unikitty because she can do a squeaky bubbly voice, and yet somehow completely missed the entire nuance of the character.

Unikitty is a contradiction. She is both an All Amerian Girl and a Totalitarian Fascist at the same time. She loves life with all of her heart, and appreciates beauty and wonder like no-one else. But if things are not just SO, she'll rip your "end-piece" off. Her character has the emotional range of a toddler, if a toddler was given license to be a politician in Legoland and rule their kingdom with a secretly iron fist. She's Bill Mumy in The Twilight Zone, if Bill Mumy were actually well-intentioned, and at least put up the pretense of trying to control his darker urges. She is sincerely well-meaning and earnest. And frightening for reasons even she doesn't understand. She is two entirely separate people living in one schizophrenic body, with the bad one ready to pop out at a moment's notice. Brie played the conflict there, and played it brilliantly.

Strong's Unikitty is basically Ben 10. An obnoxious, jaded preteen who says hipster cliches like "Can I get a whut whut?" with no realization that such an cynical expression did not exist in Unikitty's corner of Legoland in The Lego Movie. It's not even Unkitty, it's a perversion of what Unikitty stands for. I'm wondering if the creators of the show even watched The Lego Movie. Even once. Because they clearly do not understand it or what made it a success.

What especially disturbs me about Strong's craziness is that she is blending it into the overexcited kid. Unikitty is no longer crazy when she loses control of her emotions and panics. She's just plain crazy all the time, and never shuts it off. The best and most interesting thing about Unikitty is something the producers actually seemed to have completely overlooked. It's Ted Cruz filibustering Green Eggs and Hams without irony, or understanding exactly why that specific book had the complete opposite moral for what he was trying to do. But I don't think Cruz put a lot of time and effort into his book selection. He just thought it would sound funny in sound bites on TV, and his dim-witted aides just never corrected him. Unikitty is an animated television series. It is not ultimately decided by one person. Hundreds of people are involved at least, including script writers, directors, animators, even network and studio heads who greenlit the project. Not a single person as they were writing and animating this show thought for a SINGLE second that this was totally destroying the brand? Not even once? A dumb politician is a dumb politician. An entire TV network and creative team should have higher standards, and actually be aware of the franchise they are dipping into. This is nothing like The Lego Movie or the Unikitty I know and love.

There are probably worse current cartoons on the air than Unikitty. But Unikitty made the worst first impression of a cartoon I've seen since Pac-Man And The Ghostly Adventures. It's not quite that bad (I had to shut off Pac-Man after three minutes, and never watched it again) and I think I could probably continue to watch it for the sake of nitpicking it and trolling its threads (which is always fun). But the thing is that I was actually looking FORWARD to this show. I had nothing invested in the horrible, eyesore Pac-Man cartoon. This sucking actually hurts a little.

Worst cartoon debut in years. 0.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Robin44

Robin44 Active Member

You should realize that’s just the sneak peek XD

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I know. I feel a bit bad that I'm the turd in the punchbowl, and that everyone else seems to like to show. But it's the fact that I was actually expecting it to be good which is why I'm so angry it isn't.

12. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Wanna bet?

I'm not gonna lie, that was actually pretty decent. It was fulla energy and loco, which I expected considering the source material. It wasn't spectacular, but it was enjoyable, as far as I'm concerned. I have a feeling this is going to do well and could become a respectable part of CN's lineup if things go right.

13. Perla Magica

Perla Magica Freeform? What's THAT?!

It's gonna be TTG 2.0 but with LEGO as they adverted on TV.

So, the first episode it's an Halloween episode, it was nothing special for me, it was too hyperactive for me. But c'mon, it was just one episode, so less whining. I have to admit that animation in this isn't that bad, plus the theme song is catchy.

Overwall: 4/10

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Carlos Gutierrez

Does anybody have the voice credits for "Spoooooky Game"?

15. PinkiePie97

[​IMG]

16. element

element New Member

I checked out a few snippets of it. It's definitely not for my and not my kind of thing. It is going for the TTG demographic, that's for sure.

17. Robin44

Robin44 Active Member

It’s MUCH different than TTG.

18. element

element New Member

Really? I checked out about 5 minutes of the episode and it seemed pretty similar to me, I'll watch it again, the entire episode and I'll tell you what I think.

19. element

element New Member

OK, watched the entire episode now. It is different is some aspects, but still very similar imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

It's worse.