TALKBACK - Transformers: Robots in Disguise - Series Talkback (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Gatordragon, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Transformers: Robots In Disguise: Combiner Force “Something He Ate”

I laughed bigtime at Grimlock’s “longways or crissycrossy” moments. He is so cute.

But the trailer thing again tells me Grimlock was the wrong Autobot for this roster of the show. There is no part of a Robot who transforms into a Dinosaur which can plausibly be “In Disguise”.

Cute episode otherwise. ***.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I like how the official plot synopsis mentions space - but they're only out there for a few seconds. :p

But fun episode, a bit better than I was expecting. I used to like Underbite in the early episodes; I guess he reminds me of a really big dog (and he did show a bit more of that here). Maybe it's Liam O'Brien's performance...

Like usual, the B-plot wasn't as interesting (Bumblebee has nothing to prove, so no reason why he decides to do menial tasks). Also, guess he's out of shape, since Strongarm never has trouble carting Grimlock around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

'Bee really put Grimlock in charge of the prisoners and didn't expect something to go wrong :rolleyes:?

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole plot with Bumblebee taking on Sideswipe and Strongarm's workload. He was being nice by showing that he was willing to do what he normally has them do, without belittling them, and Sideswipe and Strongarm then went on to be a bit petty by rubbing it in. I just wasn't quite sure what we were supposed to take from this other then Grimlock is really heavy to cart around o_O.

It's great that the Autobots finally have their Decepticon Hunters back, but their general effectiveness actually doesn't seem to have improved compared to when they didn't have them :sweat:.

Underbite was the first Decepticon foe Team Bee went up against so it was fun seeing him be the main antagonist of an episode again, especially one with an amusing enough premise that even had Underbite exasperated at what was going on :confused:.

I guess if anyone wanted a quick walk down memory lanes, here are some environments from past episodes where the Autobots did stuff :p.

Denny and Russell's ability to contribute has diminished compared to earlier seasons, so it was nice to see them and Fixit be the ones to stop Underbite ;).

Though I feel kind of bad for Underbite that he's locked in stasis upside down :(.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

I was also going off the fact that Grimlock was eager to become an Autobot and didn't seem to see himself as a Decepticon at all. If the Alchemor had Autobot prisoners we'd have something. Even the episode with Nightra, the reason the Autobots realize that Blastwave is innocent is they see he has the Autobrand.

In any case we'll see in a few episodes one way or the other. Or the writers will drop the ball and never answer the question.

I thought this episode was pretty good. Pretty interesting challenge and resolution. Underbite remains the best musclehead Con on the show. I like the idea that Strongarm is the stronger of the three vehicle members of the team, which is why I assumed she was tasked with dragging Grimlock along. Sideswipe's the agile one with Bumblebee falling in the middle. Like a video game character select screen.

Well, it's a weapon that can turn into anything, but the heroes always default to one or two basic weapons so having them back doesn't really change things. They could try uniting their powers like they did back in season 1, but that would make the power-up less "dramatic."

• Agree Agree x 1
    #644 JoeMabbon, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Week...

Episode 068

Sick as a Bot

After the Energon seeking 'Wingcode' infects the Autobots with a virus, Bulkhead joins Grimlock in his hunt for the Decepticon.​

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Transformers: Robots In Disguise "Sick As A Bot"

Here's a question: Do the kids who watch this show even remember Bulkhead? Do they even remember Transformers Prime?

Whatever, he was welcome. I personally love Grimlock's terror during the episode, and could imagine myself in his position. To have ALL of your friends dying, and you seemingly responsible for figuring out a way to cure them? And as Grimlock noted, he is not a thinker. I would have been horrified in his place.

Bulkhead and Grimlock sitting on the ground "to think" was incredibly funny. THUD!

Smackdown between Grimlock and Bulkhead! I practically demanded that from my TV, and it delivered.

I'm thinking that the virus did not effect Grimlock because he used to be a Decepticon. It might have been better had the episode made that clearer, or figured out an actual reason Fixit didn't get sick right away.

I liked the episode otherwise though. ****1/2.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

Awesome seeing Bulkhead again.
    Those defenses were using GoBot blaster sounds. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was great to finally see another Team Prime member make a return appearance on this show, and it was really nice to see Bulkhead again :).

Although I would've hoped for a more meaningful reunion between 'Bee and Bulkhead given how long it's probably been since they last saw each other, and Bulkhead's arrival felt pretty casual for the return of a former main character in the last cartoon (especially compared to the returns of other characters). I'm also surprised they didn't mention Miko at all o_O.

Also kind of curious that it doesn't seem like Bulkhead has his mace weapon on him, or at least if he does, he didn't deploy it in this episode :ack:.

The fact that Optimus told him to come to Earth has me curious as to what's going on, and if Prime potentially called in the rest of Team Prime to help back him up :eek:?

Teaming-up the two big, green, super-strong, and fight happy Autobots (who also just happen to both be voiced by black VA's) seems too obvious but I guess I can't blame the show for going in that direction either :rolleyes2:.

It was interesting watching Bulkhead and Grimlock play off one another and see some contrasts between the two of them, where we have the experienced and reserved Bulkhead reining in the more hot-headed and impulsive Grimlock. Of course, in the end, they both still go off and smash some stuff ;).

Delirious Strongarm was hilarious :anime:.

Is it just me or are the Autobots getting worse and worse at covering their tracks this season? Again, thank goodness the humans are so gullible :p.

I missed Denny and Russell's disguises :D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

Fixit said that he and Grimlock have different physiologies from the others, being a Dinobot and a Mini-Con respectively.

Yeah I felt that way, too. I know they had a crisis on their hands but they didn't even delve into what Bulkhead's been doing since Prime ended like they did with Ratchet. Maybe they'll go into that next time now that he's joined the party.

Well, let's see. Sideswipe has Jazz, Strongarm will almost certainly have Arcee...Sorry, Fixit.

I don't think this group even believed them. I just think they were left speechless. Until it's proven otherwise, I just assume some Skywatch/Sector 7 organization is covering for the Autobots without notifying them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Week...

Episode 069

Five Fugitives

The Autobots' pursuit of Steeljaw hits an unexpected roadblock when Strongarm's old mentor, Dropforge, arrives from Cybertron with orders to arrest the Bee Team.​

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Transformers: Robots In Disguise: Combiner Force "Five Fugitives"

Sigh. Do you know what would have been a much simpler and more believable explanation than the Autobot cops who wanted to arrest the team being mind controlled by an unknown conspiracy? If they were dirty cops. Hell, they wouldn't even need to get rid of the conspiracy angle to do that. It makes little sense that the show needed to give Strongarm a personal connection to the annoying old cop, so that the cops pursuing them seemed misguided rather than crooked.

Honestly, just based on several of the clues this season, it previously sounded to me like the Cybertronian Council had gotten dirty as hell. I figured that's why Optimus' mission was secret. Because he didn't know who to trust. Why do I suspect the Council? Because Soundwave's benefactor gave Steeljaw and his cronies a pardon at some point, and I cannot picture anyone on Cybertron having the Authority to do that besides the Council, and that the Council would only do that if they WERE dirty.

But the mind control thing makes it overly complicated. I get that there are only two episodes left, but an Autobot Civil War would have been amazing television, and instead we're doing standalone episodes about Strongarm and Sideswipe learning to be a team, (while the team still hasn't figure out how to combine correctly). The biggest disappointment about the series, and the final season, is how little they actually wound up doing with it. And it's not like the threads they have set up would lead nowhere interesting. They only lead nowhere interesting because the writers are bad at their jobs,

Speaking of bad at their jobs, did Sideswipe seriously think Strongarm was downloading the medical files so she could find a picture of herself and her old mentor? Because even if I wasn't aware of Strongarm's specific reasons for doing it, I could think of a dozen hypothetical reasons off the type of my head as to why she WOULD do it. Sideswipe's nickname should simply be 'Wipe.

Waste of an episode. Waste of a series. **.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought we had already addressed the issue of Team Bee's crimes when Drift came into the picture, especially since Ratchet and Bulkhead never made any mention of them being fugitives, but I guess it was kind of funny seeing it get pointed out how this whole adventure started with them breaking a few laws and how on-paper Sideswipe's a career criminal and Grimlocks' an escaped fugitive :p.

Wow, Strongarm's impressions of Detective Dropforge was pretty dead-on, right down to the inflection and noir detective lingo ;).

Y'know, if Dropforge hadn't been a Mini-Con I could've bought him as Nightbeat or a re-imagined Kup...

Those officers got to do what Sideswipe has probably fantasized about since forever...tape Strongarm's mouth shut :rolleyes2:.

Man, not the best showing for Team Bee this episode. Not only are Grimlock and Sideswipe blindsided by a bunch of normal Autobot officers but Bumblebee gets his butt kicked by a Mini-Con :eek:.

Poor Bulkhead. He comes back only to get the runaround by the new blood of the Decepticons :sweat:.

It's good to see Steeljaw knows he doesn't stand a chance without a lot of other 'Cons backing him up, especially since he can't even really take Bumblebee down in a straight-up fight. Although I don't think he has much options left on Earth at the moment...

If we're at the point where Autobots are being brainwashed to bring Team Bee in, I think it's high time we finally dealt with whatever the heck is going on with Cybertron :mad:.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

Steeljaw's sound abilities are kinda amazing. Too bad he only used them like twice. I also kinda liked that Steeljaw started trying to tell his side of the story before he was interrupted.

Dropforge taking people down would be more impressive if we hadn't already seen bigger bots get knocked around by Mini-cons all series. I think he's one of the few independent Mini-cons which makes him stand out a bit.

I'd be more disappointed in the mind control thing if I hadn't already guessed the writers wouldn't or couldn't have morally ambiguous Autobots on this show.
    Also don't expect a deeper examination of the Council's motives either.
    Honestly, I'm just glad they're resolving this at all.

I really hope the next show just has the Transformers out in the open, even if they're illegal, because these empty/camera-less power plants are just the stupidest thing.

Naw, Drift's an independent contractor. He doesn't have the authority to pardon anybody. Bulkhead didn't mention much of anything when he arrived and Ratchet implied that he'd been away for awhile. He didn't even seem to be aware that Bumblebee was on Earth. I just assumed that the writers left that plot line dangling for whatever reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd honestly forgotten he could do that :sweat:.

But not with a nightstick ;).

It took them long enough (almost feels like five seasons worth of time) :rolleyes2:.

Or at the very least don't emphasize how gullible and dumb the humans are :p.

The main plot of this show has been so spread out that it's hard for me to remember the exact details sometimes :confused:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I was hoping the episode would end on a cliffhanger, with the gang heading to Cybertron to confront whoever was controlling the police bots. The episode felt too standalone; making the final three episodes a multi-parter would have given it a more epic feel.

Also, now I'm wondering if they'll even catch Steeljaw in the final two episodes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Week...

Episode 070

Enemy of My Enemy

When Optimus returns with old friends and dire warnings of a Cybertronian invasion of Earth, the Autobots must split up to defend their old home and their new one, with the Bee Team returning to Cybertron, while Optimus and his All-Stars stay behind to defend against the invasion's advanced force.​

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Transformers: Robots In Disguise: Combiner Force "Enemy Of My Enemy"

I loved it. And I resent that I loved it. Why is this the second to last episode ever? Why hasn't the series ALWAYS been this? What good did all those standalone episodes with the team squabbling like preschoolers do the show? Not a dang thing is the answer.

Little disappointed Arcee didn't show up (last big missing Prime player) but we hadn't seen her in a previous RID episode either. I think Team Prime is better for all being set up ahead of time.

"Autobots! Transform and--" BOOM! Optimus never heard of "Run!"?

This show is so badly written. Even the great episodes. It cannot help sucking in spite of itself. Strongarm is wistfully listing all of the unbelievable things she's seen on her time on Earth, and the top of her list goes to Steeljaw escaping. Who could have foreseen? I get that this show is written for grade schoolers, but that doesn't mean it should be written for idiots. Pray tell, exactly WHAT was so unbelievable about that amazing scenario, Strongarm? Specifically in regards to why that's the first thing you brought up? I hate when characters serve as recappers or mini-narrators, but usually a show is clever enough to at least put up the pretense that that isn't what is going on. RID cannot even bother with that.

I also am a little incredulous that Bee needed to be convinced to free Steeljaw as the ship was crashing. "Listen if the ship crashes, and I'm in it, that's bad for me, right?" It appalls me that Steeljaw actually had to walk Bee through the logic of that. He didn't already see it. What a dummy.

Did I mention I loved the episode? I did. I just hate the fact that this is one of the only episodes I have ever loved, and am mad it's the second to last one, so I'm grumpier than normal. Where has this show been? *****.

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked this episode. It was a good episode. It didn't do much wrong. But it also reminds me how good it could have been if this was a season-long plot, and not something added in the final few episodes.

So we meet some members of the Cybertronian government, but that scene between Cyclonus (Really?) and the hesitant one would have so much more weight if we had ever met any of them before (their designs all being the same was pretty lazy too). Heck, because of time constraints, that was the only scene we got from those characters.

Meanwhile, the "should we let Steeljaw help" debate wasn't bad, but again, felt squeezed for time. I would have taken more Cybertron scenes myself. Also, the scene where Steeljaw comments that all Autobots seem like mindless drones was very half-baked. A bit late for that kind of debate, I think.

For once, the Optimus Prime sub-plot wasn't very engaging. Also, I did miss Arcee, but Windblade is a fine replacement.

Anyway, I guess next week is it. I'm expecting it to be very rushed, but I hope I'm proven wrong, and we get a satisfying episode that wraps everything up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it's fitting that a show that started with our heroes on Cybertron would conclude with their returning home to finally deal with what's been going on. But while a part of me is finally happy to see them deal with the overarching Cybertron plot, another part of me can't help but feel like it's "too little, too late" :(.

It's like one of the show's biggest problems has been that the season-long arcs or plots are always such slow-burns or underdeveloped that the final episodes have to do a lot of info-dumping and quick resolutions to bring things together, and so far it feels like that's still going to be the case here. So despite the fact that the corruption on Cybertron has been an ongoing plot since pretty much the beginning of the show, things still feel pretty last-minute on what should feel like the fully-fleshed out series finale :oops:.

When I first read "All-Star" team I thought we were getting the rest of Team Prime back, not "all the other Autobots who've appeared on the show at this point, including two guys from Team Prime." I mean, I guess given the characters involved it still counts as "All-Stars," but I was hoping for the return of other characters :sad:.

But it's still nice to see Ratchet and Windblade back, and it's nice to finally see Jazz again. Having Optimus, Jazz, and Ratchet together like this made me so happy :D.

"Robots in Disguise" I guess they still had to fit in one last title drop before the end :p.

That double-group shot at the end was pretty awesome :cool:.

I guess it is true that a simple recolor is enough to make a Transformer distinct from one another, as absurd as that sounds :rolleyes2:.

It is pretty disappointing that we've had the Cybertronian High Council teased for so long and we're only just now finally getting to see them in the flesh, and little more, rather then better establishing or developing them as villains or characters in their own right :shrug:.

I also would not have known that one Council member was supposed to be Cyclonus unless they had told me. I mean, they couldn't have at least colored him purple :confused:?

So the Autobot High Council just exiled or demoted basically every Autobot War Hero from the Great War? And I thought we treated our veterans badly :mad:.

Was that Skids and Hoist among the Autobots who were exiled? It looked like them o_O.

I'm glad Bumblebee didn't immediately accept Steeljaw once he tried to worm his way into the team, even after he helped them with the drones. 'Bee should know by now that Steeljaw should never be trusted, even in situations where his interests are aligned with others :evil:.

Automatically assuming the Autobots are always going to end up putting their trust and faith into one, absolute, tyrannical leader feels like a genuine Decepticon belief, though we're still talking about a group who's original motto was basically "All Hail Megatron" :quinn:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. I'll never understand why the show did this with the ongoing story arcs. Executive meddling seems likely, but it hardly matters now.

I feel like we saw a glimpse of a more interesting show when Bumblebee and Steeljaw talked politics or the Council argued about their plans. I'm sure the eight year-olds were probably yawning, but I got a kick out of it.

They address both these points.

That was amazing. They even had tech specs! I saw Swerve in there!

I loved that. Especially Bumblebee sucker punching him after the crisis was over. If the writers want to redeem him we'd need another season to make that palatable.

• Agree Agree x 1