1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

TALKBACK - Transformers: Robots in Disguise - Series Talkback (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Gatordragon, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Not a bad episode (in fact, maybe one of the best episodes this season), but I have to admit, I was far less impressed with Menasor than you were, @Frontier

It's just...Motormaster does this fancy transformation with his crew, turn into Menasor...and then get their sword stuck in the ground for a few minutes. Afterwards, when they swat Bee's team, they have an ample opportunity to finish off the heroes, who are all stunned - and then just walk away to nab that deflector dish.

And then, for the rematch, Ultra Bee defeats him in a surprisingly circumstantial way. Granted, it made sense, but I fear that this has already caused Menasor to not feel as big of a threat as he could have been. Hopefully, the writers don't overuse him to the extent where the heroes begin to defeat him every other episode.

Of course, it will all be a moot point if Soundwave ends up becoming the true villain by the end of the season. :p

Strongarm's initial reaction to Bee getting stricter was cute, though, and I still think the Stunticons are a fun bunch. But I left the episode feeling that Menasor wasn't nearly as threatening as the writers had been hoping to make him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I totally get that.

I think the writers could definitely have made Menasor feel like a more impressive and imposing threat then they did in this episode, but it seems they wanted to keep it a one-and-done by having Team Bee manage to defeat him with Ultra Bee.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Week...

Episode 061

Moon Breaker

Optimus Prime arrives to recruit Drift for a special mission, sparking a competition between Sideswipe and Strongarm over who'd be better suited to take Drift's spot; the Autobots go to the moon to recover a dangerous weapon.​

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Transformers: Robots In Disguise: Combiner Force "Moon Breaker"

At this point, I think Optimus Prime appearances are doing more harm than good. He is JUST so great, and a sorely needed presence, that you only realize how wholly inadequate the show is without him. Yeah, he's ambiguous and his "wisdom" is always completely incomprehensible and meaningless. But dang, just having even ONE wise character is worth it. Drift just does not cut it. Because they are still trying to show that Drift is on a learning curve with his pupils. Optimus is the one rock solid piece of awesome left in the franchise, and since he's the only one, I notice it more when he's present.

I did not understand or appreciate the writers having Sideswipe and Strongarm do their silly competitive bit in front of him. Because it made them look desperate and pathetic. Why else would the writers bother doing that unless they wanted me to think they suck? This is a level of writing cluelessness perhaps only matched by Wesley Crusher sarcastically saying "Grown-ups," to himself. Are the writers completely unaware how bad it makes them and the entire show look? There should be a time and a place for that stuff.

And I especially hate that Optimus, as always, gives them the positive reinforcement that Bumblebee needs them more than Optimus. I would have been all "Bite my shiny metal ***." But that's why I'm not Optimus Prime, and why the show would do better to just go on without him.

And "We're a team!"? Again, are the writers unaware of how bad this sounds? Granted, this is a show for children, and if kids like the premise of a show, they'll tolerate pretty much anything. That's pretty much the history of the original series. But this is also the continuity of Transformers Prime, literally the first worthwhile Transformers project that ever existed. They should be trying to have higher standards because of that fact. Kids won't complain, and the adults who will, aren't the target audience anyways. But Transformers Prime was such an amazing show because it cared about, and spoke to both groups equally. And even if the kids didn't get some of the subtle story points or mythology arcs, it never dumbed things down for them anyways, and trusted they'd like the show overall, even the stuff they weren't old enough to appreciate.

Did they actually use Miami Vice beats for the car chase on the moon? Who is that for? Who would get that or appreciate it? I got it, but it's dumb.

I think all things considered, this episode is the one that tells me pretty definitively once and for all that this show is completely inferior to Prime in every way, and was a huge mistake. I was hoping I wouldn't have to think that about another Transformers cartoon for awhile, but the fact that it's the one right after Prime? Breaks my heart. *.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeMabbon

Optimus keeps the gang in the dark and long-term season antagonists are put away right after they start showing that they might be a legit threat. Some things never change. I did like the fight choreography and action sequences, some of the best of the series.

I like that even though Sideswipe and Strongarm realized they were throwing off team synergy, they didn't acknowledge how rude they were to Drift and his Mini-cons.

So Fixit's combiner tests were a plot cul-de-sac, huh?

I'd argue that Beast Wars and Animated were more than worthwhile. They were solid action cartoons and Transformers adaptations.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

I couldn't agree more, especially with Animated.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I never saw Beast Wars but Animated was spotty at best. Not a huge fan although I will admit it wasn't terrible.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Erica Lindbeck sounds solid as Windblade's new voice, though I'm not sure how much of it is her performance or just her doing a good Kristy Wu impression (or both?) :sweat:.

It was probably only a matter of time before Prime came back, if only to justify his presence in the opening and keep up his overall branding, though still spouting vague mysteries and prophecies that ends up being cumbersome for Team Bee to have to deal with. Still, it's nice to have Optimus back :anime:.

Something tells me being his "wingbot" is the last thing Optimust thinks about when it comes to Sideswipe :rolleyes2:.

"Prime Force One?" Is that what every ship a Prime commands is called :harley:?

Why am I not surprised that the essence of Combining comes back to "Till all are One" ;)?

Just imagine if the Stunticons had used some actual strategy and taken the Scrapyard for themselves instead of boldly rushing after the Autobots...

Where the heck did the Stunticons get their own ship, which vaguely resembles the Nemesis :confused:?

Who expected the team's final battle with the Stunticons would take place on the moon, with it's lack of roads :p?

I'm surprised Prime went through a whole episode without donning his faceplate once. I would've thought he'd do it once the satellite started shooting at him and Fixit :eek:.

Optimus Prime. Still a one-bot, world-saving, machine :D.

I guess it makes sense that the team has had so much difficulty combining across this season, since they're almost always having some kind of issue or disunion going on in-spite of their usual teamwork. Sideswipe and Strongarm alone were probably major issues in getting the group to combine :rolleyes:.

The final fight between Ultra Bee and Menasor was fun, though not as epic as I was hoping a Combiner fight would be. Honestly it kind of felt like the Stunticons became less effective the more they became Menasor :ack:.

The Stunticons were fun antagonists. I'm kinda going to miss them now :sad:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Pigs must be flying. I actually enjoyed this episode, and most everyone else are being really harsh with it. And I understand. Menasor had all this build-up...and he's already presumably out for the season. And Strongarm and Sideswipe acted like their season 1 selves again. I get the frustration.

But I had fun with this episode. It's partially because I'm a huuuge Optimus fan, so it was cool getting to see him again. But also, the space setting was a breath of fresh air; we don't get too many in Transformers cartoons anymore (I think the last few were in Rescue Bots).

Anyway, considering that we're around the halfway mark for the season, hopefully Soundwave gets to step things up next episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JoeMabbon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Week...

Episode 062

Exiles

Steeljaw and his pack return and launch an attack on the Scrapyard, forcing the Autobots to abandon their home base; Sideswipe's fear of abandonment threatens the Bee Team when they face their foes again at the Crown River Dam.​

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll be honest, I was not expecting Steeljaw to come back :sweat:.

Wonder who's in his Pack this time...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Steeljaw? I guess they realized they didn't really do much with him this season despite setting him up so much during the other two, which is a shame I like his character for the decepticons.

I'd be nice if other Transformers media focused on the lesser known characters for a change, at least outside of the comics

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was mostly a pretty strong episode - especially the opening minutes. It honestly had more tension and danger to it's atmosphere than almost any other scene in the show. The Autobots being forced to flee their base from the past three seasons was pretty intense.

I was mixed on the Sideswipe plot. I get what they were going for, and they didn't do anything particularly wrong...but I wasn't really feeling it either. Maybe if that had already been a sub-plot for him.

Steeljaw was mostly good. I loved him at first, but towards the end of season 1 it was hard to take him seriously anymore. The first part of this episode did a good job making him seem like a threat again; he came across as very viscous. That's why it was a bit disappointing when Sideswipe kinda off-handedly defeats him at the end.

Still, this was definitely one of the strongest episodes this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The opening with Russell filming Grimlock was neat. You usually don't get "found footage" type of content in a cartoon, since it's probably a little more difficult to manage compared to live-action, but it's always interesting to see in animation and made the beginning of the attack on the Scrapyard more tense and dramatic :tom:.

I agree with Gold Guy that the attack on the Scrapyard was probably the strongest moment of the episode, and definitely one of the more memorable sequences in the series up to this point. Just the staging and direction with the Autobots scrambling amidst the unrelenting attack from mysterious foes was very engrossing, especially as we saw their base fall apart at the seams and Team Bee actually take some damage :eek:.

I almost felt whiplash going from the general tone of the show and the upbeat ending of the last episode to this :confused:.

It's not surprising that Steeljaw is now completely out for Bumblebee's blood after their last encounter, which is a stark contrast to the beginning when Steeljaw was all about his cause and didn't seem to acknowledge the "lieutenant" as that much of an enemy. But I guess that's what happens when you find yourself developing into the role of a heroes Archenemy :evil:.

It's been so long since we've seen all of them that I had kinda come to miss The Pack. They're like the epitome of quirky bad guys, which matches well against the quirky heroes that make up the Autobots on this show ;).

Although I thought it was pretty apparent that, threat-wise, the Autobots had pretty much outgrown them by this point given once the two groups came into direct confrontation Team Bee pretty handily dealt with the 'Cons :sweat:.

If anyone had forgotten about all the shady stuff going on at Cybertron, which dates back to season 1, someone there having enough clout to get Steeljaw and his Pack released from prison and with enough weapons to help them topple Team Bee and nab Bumblebee should be a huge wake-up call. Maybe now they'll finally address what the heck is going on over there :mad:.

We got some interesting character-focus with Sideswipe in this episode as the attack on the Scrapyard completely throws him off and sets off his abandonment issues. I guess it does shine a different light on why he's always so concerned about proving himself and how emotionally immature he acts around the team, but I feel like this deserved more in-depth focus then we ultimately got o_O.

It has made me more curious about Sideswipe's background, given he says he constantly moved around on Cybertron, though somehow I don't expect we'll ever see the show go into it at all :sad:.

Once again I'd just like to bring up how Denny basically sells junk, so somehow I don't think this is going to hurt his business any. Although it would've been interesting if all this had lead to Russell's Mom coming to pick him up :ack:.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh man, I had actually forgotten about this sub-plot. Seeing as how this is the final season, now would be a good time to reveal what's happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Soundwave had something to do with it, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JoeMabbon

This may be the most effective example of mood whiplash I've ever seen in this series. The goofy, almost sitcom banter slams right into a siege by unseen attackers. I think this cements my view that any Transformers show that wants to up the drama just needs to have the Decepticons/Predacons launch an all-out assault the Autobot/Maximal base.

I've mentioned my frustration with the "Cybertron Unrest" thing. Outside of some comments here and there hasn't been any movement on Cybertron's end since Drift and Fracture were introduced. I'm glad we're getting some resolution, but two years? Really?

I feel its gotten very common over the last decade as cameras moved from novelty to omnipresence.

I think waaay back in season 1, in that episode with the evil rival collector, Denny flat out said he didn't really care about the money and that the Scrapyard was a passion project. Alot of that stuff that got incinerated probably can't be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's kind of funny to think that Cybertron has been more relevant in the continuities where it's dead then it has been here :p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JoeMabbon

A barren, uninhabited wasteland is pretty easy to animate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Media Man

Media Man Member

So quick question- was the most recent episode the season finale or series finale? If it was the later, then they left the Soundwave sub-plot unresolved.

If it was just the season finale, I hope the new season features Russell and Denny accompanying the Autobots on more of their missions- like Spike and Sparkplug in the original series; Their human allies have been underutilized this past season.

The villains also need to obtain some human allies- either through manipulation/coercion/hypnosis etc it would add some dynamism to the show.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty sure there's at least another episode scheduled for next Saturday :).

I don't think they've been using Russell and Denny all that well for quite a while now, dating back the last few seasons.

They seem really uninvolved with the plot and what's going on compared to seasons 1 and 2.