TALKBACK - Total Drama: Pahkitew Island - [Week 1 | 7/7-7/11]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by {Shadow}, Jul 7, 2014.

1. {Shadow}

{Shadow} #WatchToonami - Saturdays 12:00-3:30am! Moderator

[​IMG]

New Episodes - [​IMG] - Weekdays @ 6p/5c!

Monday, July 7, 2014
    So, Uh, This Is My Team?
    Episode 105 - Number 601
    Chris welcomes 16 fresh victims to the new island. Flaws, strengths and outright insanity are put on display during an accommodations challenge.

Monday, July 7, 2014
    - [6:30p/5:30c!]
    I Love You, Grease Pig
    Episode 106 - Number 602
    A challenge involving a wild boar proves to be more than most can handle; Dave is showing some signs that he might be crushing on a teammate.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014
    Twinning Isn't Everything
    Episode 107 - Number 603
    Samey and Amy's sisterly hatred reaches a boiling point during a game of doom balloons; Max gets a little help from a new friend on his quest for pure evil.

Wednesday July 9, 2014

I Love You, I Love You Knots
    Episode 108 - Number 604
    Ella's attempts to befriend Sugar backfire during a wild game of Truth or Scare; Rodney's delusional love triangle has a huge effect on his team's performance.

Thursday, July 10, 2014
    A Blash From the Past
    Episode 109 - Number 605
    Sky likes Dave, but not as much as Dave likes Sky; Shawn bolts and puts his team in jeopardy; a surprise visit from a past competitor raises some very serious questions about a previous elimination.

Friday, July 11, 2014
    Mo' Monkey, Mo' Problems
    Episode 110 - Number 606
    Ella comes up big after Dave puts himself in a dangerous spot; Max tangles with his team's chances to prove his superiority.

NO SPOILERS!
    Please, no talks of future episodes, events, eliminations, etc! All spoilers must be sent through PM! This talkback is ONLY about these episodes and episodes that have already aired on Cartoon Network.

2. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!! Moderator Reporter

CN sent us the 1-hour season premiere. I drew the short straw, since Total Drama was pretty much exactly what I was expecting it to be.

3. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Reds!

Clever move of {Shadow} to make one thread for this week's premieres. Much better than a daily thread.

Anyway, these episodes were alright. With the emphasis on survival, I might as well call this season Total Drama: Don't Starve edition.

The cast, as always, is hit and miss. Instead of my usual color commentary on the events, I'm going to give my opinion on the new contestants.

Beardo: He reminds me of B from Revenge of the Island, but with Michael Winslow (The Man of 10,000 Sound Effects) mixed in. I liked him, so it's a shame he was the first to get the boot.

Leonard: He reminds me of the LARPer kid from the movie Role Models. I was neutral on him, so I didn't mind when he left second.

Jasmine: This tall Aussie is like a black, female version of the Sniper from Team Fortress 2. I really like her. I swear, if she uses a sniper rifle and/or bow and arrow, I'm going to laugh so hard. I'll laugh even harder if she uses jarate (though knowing what jarate is, I doubt they will show that).

Rodney: Bear Hugger here looks like a combination of DJ and Scott. His crushes on any assertive gal is amusing to me. His mumbling reminds me of myself because I have a tendency to talk fast. You should hear me fast rap. :p

Max: This wannabe villain reminds me of Mandark from Dexter's Laboratory and Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. Try as he might, he sucks at villainy. I find him annoying.

Amy and Samey: Looks like Trina and Mina from Grojband became a pair ofblonde cheerleader twins. I feel bad for Samey. She's such a sweet girl and Amy treats her like dirt. I wonder if she'll grow a spine and get fed up with her sister's crap.

Dave: I didn't know Jeff from Clarence is a contestant on this show. I'm pretty neutral on this nerdy germophobe.

Sky: She's athletic, but has nothing else going for her. She bores me.

Shawn: Heh, a paranoid zombie enthusiast. Looks like somebody's been playing too much Dead Rising and reads the Zombie Survival Guide every day. I really like this guy. His name is obviously a reference to Shaun of the Dead, my favorite zombie movie.

Sugar: She's a teenaged Honey Boo Boo. Her obnoxious stupidity really makes me dislike her.

Topher: Looks like Sierra is no longer Chris' number one fan. His clothes even have the same color scheme. I'm currently neutral on this guy.

Scarlett: Her studious librarian look reminds me of Wickerbottom from Don't Starve. She helped Max with his evil invention, so I think she might become his more competent assistant. I kinda like her.

Ella: I don't like this Snow White reject. Her singing gets on my nerves.

And that's what I think about the cast. Despite the adequacy of these two episodes, I'm going to keep watching. With a new episode every day, this season is going to go by fast.

4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Active Member

So is this going to be the season where Chris gives into his obviously psychopathic tendencies and just murders all the contestants in there sleep?

5. PhenomsServant4

PhenomsServant4 Active Member

Funny you make them as a comparison since Bryn McAuley (a.k.a.Laney) voices both of them.

Gotta root for Jasmine this go round. Total bad@ss and I love her voice. Her VA really nailed an Australian accent.

6. Monte

Monte Active Member

Eh, this cast kind of bugs me... Half the cast feels like the fit into a very specific and unbelievable sterotype or gimmick. Skye, Scarlett, Dave, Amy, Samy, and Topher are the ones that come off the most normal; but then we have LARPER, beat box, Snow white, the Aussie from the outback, Honey Boo boo, Mandark, zombie nut, and hill billy. It just bugs me that some many fit into these clear cut and simple roles. I feel like the original cast, and too a lesser extent the last cast, didn't rely on such gimmicks and stereotypes like this. Take Gwen for instance, yes she was a goth, but they didn't have her wear nothing but black and make her all dark and brooding; its what made her feel more normal and not just a cookie cutter stereotype goth. Its like the niche's they filled in was just ONE aspect for their character, as opposed to a defining characteristic. It really helped with the realty show vibe of the series.

It might not be so bad depending on how they are handled... Jasmine for instance, is likeable enough for me to ignore her stereotypical role; and they got rid of Beat box and Larper in the first two episodes, so we will not have to deal with them anymore. Zombie kid has his moments, but i can tell his zombie obsession is gonna get old real fast and get on my nerves; maybe he be less annoying if he just had a general obsession with the end of the world; that way he wouldn't rant just about zombies, but also asteroids and nuclear armageddon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  7. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Sadism!!!!!

Awesome/funny episode starting the 5th season,

The highlights:
    Among the new characters, both Jasmine, Beardo(like B/Michael Winslow, sweet), Sky, Dave, Shawn, Leonard(being a role playing wizard, hehehe), Samey(nice sister), Rodney, Scarlett(an intelligent brainy girl, sweet), Max(the new villain like Mandark/Dr. Evil, cool), and Topher(a male Sierra who likes Chris and dresses like Chris, sweet/creepy) are the best great likable enjoyable funny new characters while Sugar(Teenage Honey Boo Boo), Ella(Snow White/Disney princesses reject), and Amy(nasty witch sister and the new villainess) are the worst annoying new characters.
    Both Beardo, Sky, Scarlett, Jasmine, Shawn, Rodney, Ella, Max, Topher, and Amy/Samey are my favorite new characters:D.
    Chris and his sadism to the new players, so funny/enjoyable.
    Beardo's sound effects are awesome/funny, hahahahahaha.
    Agreeing with Gatordragon, Amy/Samey are like Trina/Mina with Amy the next mean jerkette girl after Heather/Courtney and true major villainess of the 5th season torturing poor Samey, further episodes Samey is gonna stand up to Amy which will be epic which Amy is gonna suffer a brutal comeuppance like Heather, Alejandro, and Scott, hehehe.
    Sky being athletic is awesome.
    Poor Dave's phobia of germs like Jeff(Clarence), sweet.
    Jasmine the best epic team leader.
    Rodney's crush on Jasmine, funny/cute, Rodney reminds me of Sam which his crush on Dakota, hehehe.
    Sugar's stupidity and Ella's singing was so funny, hahahahahaha, Sugar is a Female Patrick Star.
    Max thinking he's a comic book supervillain, hehehe, but he sucks at villainy:p, both Chris, Heather, Alejandro, Scott, and Mal's devious villainous actions so surpass him, hehehe.
    Shawn being a paranoid zombie enthusiast along with his name referencing Shaun Of The Dead is awesome.
    Leonard is lucky that the rocks didn't hit him, hehehe.
    The Elimination Cannon, sweet.
    Poor Beardo voted off, I'll miss him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  8. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

for all of the cast they had boot of Beardo? i wish they could have kept him awhile as for Leonord he was kinda a meh character i really think they should boot him off first then Beardo,

9. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

Initially, I was somewhat excited to see a pair of twins as contestants, but unfortunately, the writers chose to portray them as "one good, one evil" archetypes who are constantly at odds with each other instead of their being a team. Disappointing.

10. Fix-it Felix Jr.

Fix-it Felix Jr. New Member

Love the new season so far. New island, 16 new contestants, and our sadistic host Chris that we love-to-hate.
    I hope Samey stands up to Amy, because she does not deserve to put up with her mean twin sister's crap. I can see Amy possibly becoming the new villain of the season because everybody might help Samey stand up and give Amy a good comeuppance (similar with Heather, Scott, and Alejandro).
    Other than that, I like most of the new characters expect for Sugar and Amy.

11. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Well, pretty average start. Don't get me wrong, I love Total Drama, and even loved All-Stars (except for Courtney's elimination episode), but this season is off to a weak start, and I think it's because of the characters.

Total Drama's first two set of characters were archetypes, sure, but they weren't such outlandish tropes. I mean, evil scientist, Snow White reject, D&D cosplayer, teen Honey Boo Boo... this characters are all so bad. Zombie guy is another example of this, but I like him for now. Beardo was also a neat concept but got old really fast. Topher is another guy whose schtick is getting old fast. And Rodney is okay, he fades well into the background.

The only characters that interest me this season are Jasmine, Scarlet, Shawn and the twins. I'm surprised it tool them so long to use the twins trope. I'm rooting for Jasmine and Samy, mostly Samy. They are the ones I liked the most in this new cast.

At least Chris's reliable sadism is here to keep me interested, even if it feels toned down a tad.

12. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    And I thought the Biskit Twins of LPS (2012) were bad enough twin characters... Oh, they still are, but hearing this just makes me want to ignore this show even more.

These aren't characters. NONE of them are characters (unlike on Island - AKA the only season that should have been made, period - if only so I could have a perfect Canadian cartoon to praise, but no, those responsible had to get cocky and keep going! Fools.)... And that stinks!

13. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Reds!

Today's episode was pretty good. Better than yesterday's episodes.

Yeah Jasmine! You give Samey some much needed encouragement. The seeds of assertiveness have been sown in Samey.

Heh, my two favorite characters this season are into each other. I'm not normally a shipper, but Jasmine and Shawn make an interesting pair.

Aw dangit, Amy is playing the victim. This girl needs some toilet paper because she's a dirty *hoooonk*.

Good gravy, Rodney. Pick either Jasmine or Amy to crush on and stop being wishy washy.

Good thing Scarlett is helping Max with his evil plans. Every incompetent villain needs a competent assistant.

NOT THE BEES! How eeeevil of Max and Scarlett. They turned Sky into a human pincushion.

And the two characters I really dislike have a one-sided rivalry. Snow White doesn't even notice Honey Boo Boo's hatred towards her.

Thanks a lot, Amy. Your team has lost because of your jerkishness.

Mmm, lamb meat. They taste especially good in gyros.

Haha, Samey tricked Amy into eating that bad fruit. Justice has been served!

OOOOOOOHHHH! Samey tricked Chris into kicking her jerky twin off the island! Justice has truly been served! I feel like dancing because of that.
    [​IMG]

14. PhenomsServant4

Great episode. Actually somewhat saddened Samey's payoff came so soon. I guess more important storylines are going on. But imagine how satisfying it would've been had she eliminated Amy in the f3 or beat her in the finale. Nevertheless good episode.

15. Monte

Monte Active Member

Might have been a bit more satisfying, but i don't think she had much staying power... I mean the only thing she had was tormenting Sam and that could get annoying afterawhile as you wait for her to get the inevitable payback; might as well get it over with now. Amy might have had more staying power if she was more of an overall villain then just focused on Sam. But then again, as long as Sam is in the game, it seems like she could make a return.

Though that is one detail i find interesting about this season... there isn't really a clear cut villain. In the other seasons you could spot who was gonna be the villain from the first episode; This seasons not too much. Amy seemed like an obvious choice but she was too focused on Sam to last long enough to torment anyone else. Max is an obvious comic relief, a non-threat... after that, i guess the worst would be Sugar, but i wouldn't put too much stock in her. No one is really as clear cut as those like Scott, Heather or Alejandro. Kinda makes things a bit more interesting.

16. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

Can some explain to me how cake decorating would be useful in camafloging, I was dumbfounded when they did it in Hunger Games and the I get the same feeling here

17. PhenomsServant4

That was kinda the joke here.

18. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Active Member

I don't watch this show often but I thought it was pretty funny how they referenced it.

I didn't see the ending with Sam/Amy coming, I might need to watch more of this now.

19. acquah

acquah Member

Beardo was kinda hilarious with the sound effects; didn't want him the first one out.

Leonard was the archetype of "geek", and it annoyed me.

Amy and Samey are like Jonathan & Victoria from Amazing Race 6. One of them is the nice girl who needs some love; the other is asking for a punch in the face.

Max is ****ing annoying to the max.

Rodney ironically parodies that love triangle you see a lot in media.

Jasmine gives me the Indigenous Australian feels.

Scarlett and Dave are funny with sarcasm.

Sugar is Honey Boo-Boo as a teenager; I honestly don't know what to say about this.

Shawn seems like the man with skills for the show. And his female counterpart would be Sky.

Ella is like a reject for Disney Princesses. Could be annoying at times.

And Topher... really needs to look out for his Chris McLean ass-kissing.

So, those are my opinions on the contestants. And thus far, this season is getting interesting. The highlight today was when Samey (now "Amy") sent her sister off with a poisoned apple down her throat. That was when I shouted "Thank GOD!".

20. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Sadism!!!!!

Great/hilarious episode,

The highlights:
    I'll miss Leonard, he was funny.
    Jasmine encouraging/helping Samey to stand up to Amy was fantastic, Jasmine has become more and more likable/awesome.
    Shawn/Jasmine the best sweet cute couple, poor Rodney though.
    Shawn, Sky, and Dave getting rid of Ella, hahahahaha.
    Dave/Sky the next best sweet cute couple.
    Samey's bad time to stand up to the jerkette Amy while Amy playing the victim.
    Poor Rodney loving Amy, go for Jasmine instead.
    Topher's obsession of Chris schtick may get old fast, but I find it so hilarious, hahahahahaha:D.
    Chris's Doom Balloons challenge, sweet.
    Max being "evil" is so funny, but is a poor inept loser villain I feel sorry for next to Tom the Cat, Professor Chaos(Butters), Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz, The Ice King, and Coverton for example.
    Scarlett helping Max is great which she'll be a great competent assistant for him.
    Sugar/Ella's rivalry due to Sugar's jerky nature worse than Amy's attacking Ella, so funny, hahahahaha.
    Amy's jerkiness making her Pimapotew Kinosewak team lose.
    Samey tricking Amy for having that poison apple, hehehehe, go Samey.
    Amy's satisfying elimination just desserts from Samey's Crowning Moment of Awesome, awesome:D, but very surprising for the horrible major villainess to get eliminated early, but not in the final three challenge for the brutal elimination though, but she'll be back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014