TALKBACK - Steven Universe - "Beach Party" - [4/30]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by {Shadow}, Apr 30, 2014.

1. {Shadow}

{Shadow} #WatchToonami - Saturdays 12:00-3:30am!

[​IMG]

Episode 018 - [​IMG] - Number 118

Beach Party
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 7:00 PM
    repeats
    [see schedule]

This week...
    Steven throws a cookout to heal the rift between the Pizza family and the Crystal Gems.​

2. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Browns!

This episode was pretty good.

I really like that giant pufferfish monster. It looks like a Kirby boss. I'm calling it Blowhard.

Oh, Kiki and Jenny's parent is a man? I assumed Kofi was a woman when I first saw him back in "Steven's Lion". He has a magnificent voice.

These Gems should really do something about the collateral damage. I doubt they have monster insurance.

Aww, Kiki looks cute in that dress. The Gems look nice in casual wear as well.

The Gems' inhumanity really shows in this episode. Doesn't stop me from liking them.

Now this is some textbook volleyball. I like how Kofi cheated by threatening to ground Jenny.

The Fish Pizza family and the Gems have some similarities that are pretty obvious when they're teamed up. Jenny and Amethyst are the laid back ones, Kiki and Pearl are the hardworking ones, Kofi and Garnet are the heads of their respective families, and the grandma and Steven are the small, but resourceful ones.

Blowhard's back. Nice teamwork among the Gems and the Fish Pizza family. Pop goes the Blowhard.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  3. GC13

GC13 What would Doyle do?

I liked it; Steven Universe still hasn't had any poor episodes, so even though this one isn't going to make any of my top lists it's still Steven.

We get more exposition, saying the temple is thousands of years old, but as usual it's only brought up in a situation where it feels natural and can be dealt with quickly.

Steven's also a genius for putting Kofi and Garnet together. No way was putting him with the team's heavy hitter an accident.

4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

This episode didn't leave me all that intrigued at first, but ended up getting much more solid overtime.

The Pizza family kind of reminded me of Lars's friends, in that they at first seem like typical stereotypes but become more likable as the episode progresses. They definitely get some of the episode's funniest lines ("Don't catch that ball or you're grounded!"), the rest going to (once again) the Gems' interactions, which still remain one of my favorite points of the series.

The Gems playing volleyball was definitely the highlight of the episode for me, once again seeing the Gems failing hysterically at human activity.

There isn't much I have to say about the technicals in this one, surprisingly enough, but they aren't static or anything and the episode is pretty cool to look at during the climax.

It's about as good as you'd expect this show to be by this point.

5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member

Fun episode. The highlight for me was definitely the volleyball game, but the entire episode was enjoyable. Also liked how the Gems weren't at all concerned about being banned from the pizza place.

6. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

overall, a fun episode
    we got to meet more citizens of Beach City, and I agree with everyone else that the volleyball game was the highlight

7. GrantM

GrantM Active Member

Is it just me or did Mr Pizza almost sound like Javik from Mass Effect 3. Really starting to love this show though

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I know the Gems didn't like the food or even need to eat per se, but they should've at least offered to fix the damage they caused to the Pizza's restaurant.
    Seeing them work together was the highlight of this episode. You'd think the Pizzas would be more impressed by their strength and shape-changing abilities, but everyone in Beach City might be used to it by now.
    This is also the first time I've seen Amethyst engage in battle using her shape-shifting powers as opposed to her whip. Makes sense, since its more effective.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. I was kind of surprised that the Gems didn't offer to help fix the damages, or at least apologize for the accident. It showed how they don't really interact with humans or see something like that as a problem, especially compared to the monster they had to deal with, but I thought that at least Pearl would try to resolve the issue. Steven trying to smooth things over with the Pizza family was kind of sweet. The volley ball match was definitely the highlight of the episode. The Gems had some good interactions with their teammates due to their similar behavior traits, which was refreshing to see, and the Pizza family members themselves became more fun to watch as the episode progressed. The grandma was especially likable and pretty smart with coming up with the plan to defeat the monster at the end. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

10. Master Toon

Master Toon New Member

What about that episode where Steven spent most of the episode trying to trade that onion kid for a toy? You really liked that episode? Just asking.

That's the part I didn't like about this episode. I get that being a hero doesn't mean you have to cater to everyone's woes but what's the point of defending people if you're going to leave them homeless or jobless? That's not cool at all.

That reminds me, have they ever explained where the Gems come from? Are they native to earth? They could really work on their demeanor when engaging with humans.

11. GC13

GC13 What would Doyle do?

Yeah, I thought Onion Trade was good. It's not going to make my Top-Five list, but like I said there aren't any Steven Universe episodes I dislike.

12. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    You know - I feel this episode is let down by the fact that THE GEMS DIDN'T APOLOGIZE for destroying the Pizzas' shop. Too bad we wouldn't have an episode if they did. My point still stands. The only things I'll recall fondly are what the gems look like in beachwear, the volleyball game, and how they dealt with that fish monster. But the way this all began and ended just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me question this show as a whole.

Real shame, everything else was so well handled other than that, making this episode hard to really enjoy for me, despite everything else in it being just that. At least I take solace in knowing the writers' of this show know how to actually handle ethnicity of others different from there's well, without resorting to stereotypes like ALMOST... ALMOST everyone else unfortunately seems to do too much of.

13. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

Yeah but thats the conflict of the episode the Gems are sort of detached from the human world and this episode served as baby steps for them

14. The ShopSoldier

Touche - but that's no excuse for not apologizing. None whatsoever. Therefore, I must stand by what I said.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Yeah, this is the first episode that made me angry at the main characters. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a future where the town will no longer stand for the Gems reckless behavior.

16. The ShopSoldier

THANK YOU.

Then again, I admit I feel this show is becoming overrated, when I look back on earlier episodes.

THIS particular episode only succeeds in cementing those unfortunate feelings, at the end of the day.

This is all coming from the reality that it never took as long as it did for me to like Uncle Grandpa of all things, or recently, Clarence, as it did with this show... Which is a little too long for my tastes.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I think the problem with Steven Universe is that they reveal too little about the characters and the world each episode. If they don't start delving and exploring deeper into the character and world soon, I'm going to end up dropping this show. One thing I admire about Rose is that she went out of the way to bond and learn about humanity. I want the other Gems to make more of an effort. This episode just continued to make the Gems more alien, and not in a good way.
    Anyway, the previous episode was better.

18. Royce

Royce New Member

Yeah, that's the problem I have with Steven Universe. I'm getting tired of waiting for it to get better. Problem is, the show may not last long, as it's not doing that great, compared to Clarence. Sure it's got a second season, but if the rating don't improve, it may go the way of Chima.

19. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf New Member

Nice episode. Are people really that upset over the Gems damaging a sign?... I mean it's a bit ironic, considering the dad way overreacted about it for most of the episode. It's not like they destroyed the guy's house. It seemed to me they were too oblivious and naive to know they did something that made anyone mad. *shrug*

The Pizzas were a fun family (that's one fast granny). But I think it's a bit strange that they showed the family of such a minor character, but the blond girl who works with Lars still hasn't really had anything about her.

20. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

But Adventure Time also took it's sweet time till it got to the world-building