1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[Talkback] Saiyuki (aka Journey to the West)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by tinlunlau, Jan 12, 2006.

1. tinlunlau

tinlunlau Active Member

just saw the first episode of "Saiyuki", a japanese drama series based on the chinese folktale [Journey to the west]. features a cameo from Takuya Kimura (best known in the USA for his performance in Wong Kar-Wai's "2046") and stars Kimura's fellow SMAPmate, Shingo Katori as Son Goku the monkey king, Densha Otoko's Atsushi Itou as Chohokkai the perverted pig, Teruyoshi Uchimura as Sagojyo the sand bandit and Fukatsu Eri as Sanzo Hoshi (aka the Tong monk Tripitaka).

and yes, this is the story that inspired anime and manga like Osamu Tezuka's "My Son Goku", and the other classic Americans may be familiar with. (y'know....dragon ball?)

and so far, my impression is that the first episode seem a little slow but that's just a setup for the remainder of the show. i have a feeling that it may pick up next episode as Chohokkai (Atsushi Itou) shows his perverted nature. as a chinese viewer, i find it strikingly odd that they would cast a female actress to play Tripitaka who accordingly to legends, is known to be male. then i found out that in Japan, there was a tv series based on the same thing and even then, he was played by a girl.

the fights were not exactly what i expected. not as flashy or CGI dependent as the Chinese version of the series was. felt more old school and in a way, very campy. there were some nice moments of CGI used, however, particularly with Goku flying on his flying nimbus (or Kintoun as the Japanese call it). Although, i coulda sworn it's supposed to be a cloud, not a fan.

series premiered in Japan on January 9th, 2006 at Fuji TV. I would definitely wait for the 2nd episode to air.

2. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

Was it based on the anime Saiyuki?

3. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Well, I haven't seen any television version of it, but I have read an abridged version of Journey to the West entitled Monkey. It was fun, if a bit odd. Also, being American, I may not have understood all the cultural references.

4. tinlunlau

tinlunlau Active Member

"I love you." If there must be a time limit, I wish... ... 10,000 years!

then, avoid that Hallmark TV movie at all costs.
    it looks awful. Stephen Chow did a couple of films based on "Journey to the West" which were very memorable. Many film makers even have a tendency to parody the famous lines from that film. The quote is translated into something like this.

"There once was a true love presented before me; I didn't cherish it. Only upon losing that love did I feel great remorse. The worst pain in life is no more than this. If fate can grant me a second chance, I will say three words to her: I Love You. If there must be a time limit, I wish.... .... 10,000 years!"

5. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Actually, I think I may have seen some of that one. I meant that I didn't see the one you were referring to in the first post.

6. tinlunlau

tinlunlau Active Member

the hallmark produced movie had Russell Wong as the monkey king and Bai Ling as....i dunno what. haven't seen the movie but judging from the looks of it, it's no good...

Stephen Chow's "Saiyuki" films were fantastic, however.