TALKBACK - Regular Show - "Paint Job" - [7/3]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by {Shadow}, Jul 3, 2014.

1. {Shadow}

{Shadow} #WatchToonami - Saturdays 12:00-3:30am! Moderator

[​IMG]

Episode 150 - [​IMG] - Number 534

Paint Job
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 7:30 PM
    repeats
    [see schedule]

This week...
    Mordecai and Rigby have to paint a house.​

2. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Like today's Amazing World of Gumball I saw the ending coming a mile away, MuscleMan's screaming was classic.

3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

What starts as an episode that tests Mordecai and Rigby's friendship (which had a lot of potential) turns into a "Rigby's a slacker" episode (with some potential) and then it turns into a "Mordecai is too distracted" episode (which trainwrecks the episode's execution). Yeah, I think the storytelling was just a cluttered mess. This was definitely an episode where Rigby needed to be taken down a peg, but for whatever reason, the only thing that ever gets resolved in this episode is Mordecai leaving behind his job for his girlfriend... yeah, I can see that being the wrong thing to do, but it's still better than just watching TV after making a promise to your "bro". So, they essentially gave the moral to the wrong character.

And sadly, that's only one of the problems I had here. The issue with the house never had any resolution (I can understand wanting to break from the norm, but leaving it with no solution is not how you do it), Benson is oddly one-dimensional (he's not really a jerk perse, just lacking in depth the last couple of seasons have given him), and he gets his car destroyed because... someone had to get the short end of the stick, I guess. It's a shame, too, because there was some genuinely good humor found here, and the idea of having the house be stealth-ed like that is pretty neat, but neither of them can hide what leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Yeah, I'm sorry Owen Dennis and Toby Jones. I like what you do to this show, but this one just didn't work out for me.

4. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

This is a funny episode and I am okay with there not being a resolution to the house problem, but there should be an episode that seriously analyzes Mordecai and Rigby's relationship before more things happen with CJ. The episode started with both of them acting like screw-ups, then Rigby screwing-up, then Mordecai abandoning his responsibility, then Rigby breaking his promise, and then more.

I get that the characters aren't necessarily supposed to be sympathetic, but sometimes their actions against each other get to be a bit much.

I agree with Toon4Thought that the execution was not good.

5. foo

foo New Member

Yeah, the normal tropes were there, but three words made the episode for me.

Stealth. Air. Horn.

6. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

this week's episode was pretty funny to me at lest

7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pretty funny episode. I thought the stealth guy was hilarious, and the ending with Rigby's trip through the invisible attic and the following game with the missile tracking device was pretty awesome.

8. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

It's always nice to see C.J even if her screentime in this episode was really limited. It was also interesting for the writers to show Rigby feeling leftout/abandoned with Mordecai spending so much time building his relationship with C.J, he's probably doing this because he doesn't want to make the same mistake he made with Margaret, where he moved too slow.

9. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    You know... THAT is what makes this episode stand out as good for me, even if it does feel this plot has been done before, unfortunately (and not as well here, either...).

10. Zipp_Rezzeppa

Zipp_Rezzeppa No dice, Cowboy!

I don't know. I think I'm completely burned out by this show and the whole Mordecai and Rigby do something incredibly stupid and Benson threatens to fire them if they don't fix it schtick. I get very little to no enjoyment watching this show now. Every new episode feels like an episode I've already seen before.

11. Destiny of Awe

Destiny of Awe Should update a lot of things

Pretty much. I was disappointed when I saw the direction this episode took because it reminded me of the days when Margaret was just a plot device used in a similar fashion. I was convinced that episodes like that wouldn't occur again after "It's Time," but I suppose stuff like this will happen everytime Mordecai gets a love interest.

That aside, I thought it was a decent episode.

12. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Mordecai actually seems to be starting to become rather genera savvy