Talkback: Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon: "Trials and Determinations!" [10/21]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Light Lucario, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
    Ash meets Gladion.
    Ash learns about the next set of trials after seeing Gladion's Z-Move.
    Lillie bonds with Pikachu and is able to touch it.
    Ash and his friends meet Olivia and take a trip to Akala Island.
    Lana finds a rock and Olivia decides to make her a Z-Ring out of it.
    Lana defeats a Totem Wishiwashi and gets a Waterium Z-Crystal.
    Lana gets a Z-Ring.
    Kiawe catches an Alolan Marowak.
    Ash defeated the Totem Pokemon Lurantis and received a Grassium Z-Crystal.

Last Time:

"Currying Favor and Flavor!"
    Before Ash can battle Kahuna Olivia at the grand trial, she has another important task for him and his classmates: gathering ingredients to make Akala Curry. On their search, Ash and Mallow encounter the Totem Pok√©mon Lurantis! Will Ash be able to defeat it and pass through his Trial?​

This Time:
    "Trials and Determinations!"
    Saturday October 21st, 9AM
    Ash is about to face off against Kahuna Olivia for his Grand Trial. However, Olivia says that their match will be a Double Battle. Ash chooses Rowlet and Rockruff to go up against Oliva's Lycanroc and Probopass. Will Ash be able to defeat Olivia and pass his second Grand Trial?

Notes:
    The 20th season of Pokemon is here to promote the seventh generation.
    Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
    The first season of Pokemon in HD is available for digital purchase and rental.
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will be released on November 17th.
    Pokemon Gold and Silver are available on the 3DS eShop.
    Pokken Tournament DX is available for the Nintendo Switch.
    There is a main series Pokemon game in development for the Switch system.
    The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
    Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

2. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

I don't think I've ever seen a Pokemon attack/knock out its own partner before. It's amazing how they can keep coming up with new situations after all these years.
    The animation was spectacular as well.

3. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 36 was pretty awesome/engaging,

Love Olivia, awesome interesting funny female character with a hot sweet character design.Her clumsiness running gag makes me laugh, hehehe.Cool with the Alola Kahunas being the next Gym Leader-types:D.

I'm glad Snowy bees more nicer and not a terrible brat anymore for Ash.

Rockruff being more aggressive while wanting to battle scared me though, poor Ash.

Ash vs. Olivia's double battle in the second Grand Trial was awesome/engaging.

Olivia's Lycanroc/Probopass were awesome in the battle, cool to see Probopass, Nosepasses, my favorite cool bizarre Rock Pokemon:D.

Rockruff/Rowlet's double battle was pretty sweet, Rockruff's aggressiveness to attack poor Rowlet, poor Rockruff, but nice that Rockruff calms down though.First time a Pokemon attacks its Pokemon partner, yikes:eek::ack:.

Ash's amazing strategies to defeat Olivia's Lycanroc/Probopass was sweet.

Ash wins and gets the Rockium Z, sweet.

From Olivia, cool that Rockruff is gonna evolve, yaaaaaay/sweet:D, but its day/night Lycanroc forms are cool/interesting.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. Rockruff was being more aggressive right off the bat, but Ash just brushed it off as being excited and eager to battle. I liked how Ash's friends were able to see his Grand Trial this time around. I forgot that they didn't see his first Grand Trial. I also liked that Oliva decided to make Ash's Grand Trial different from the one Kiawe had before. The reasoning made sense too. Ash had more Z-Crystals, passed more Trials and got the attention of Tapu Koko, so that would make Oliva want to go all out. Plus, it's nice to do a little something different for the Grand Trials so they don't play out the same.

While Ash's choices of Rockruff and Rowlet made sense, it did make me realize that Ash really needs a Water Pokemon for his team too. It would be really cool if he caught a Dewpider. It would be a unique Water type for him and he hasn't caught a Bug type Pokemon for a long time too. I liked that Rowlet wasn't asleep during this battle. While that can be a funny gag, it still feels more like a problem when Rowlet couldn't stay awake long enough to get a berry in the previous episode. It kind of reminds me of how it took Ash's Cyndaquil awhile to use its Fire type attacks, but instead of being treated like a problem, it's just played off as a joke. Hopefully, they can at least not have Rowlet sleeping during big battles.

The battle itself was pretty good. Oliva using Lycanroc to attack while Probopass offering some defense with Stealth Rock was pretty impressive. Stealth Rock worked a bit differently than it does in the games since it only takes affect whenever you call out another Pokemon, but it worked here in terms of causing more of a challenge for Ash right off the bat. Ash was able to go on the offensive with Rowlet and Rockruff. Having Rowlet carry Rockruff was a good idea to avoid Stealth Rock, but those mini-noses from Probopass made it more of a challenge. They would fly around, strike suddenly and landing on the ground caused them more damage due to Stealth Rock too.

Of course, Ash loved being in a challenging battle, so he was all the more willing to give it his all. Rockruff running on top of the mini-noses and tossing one of them into the Zap-Canon was pretty cool. Rowlet was grateful, but Rockruff was still too aggressive to respond back well enough. I figured that Olivia would use her Z-Move with her Lycanroc, but Ash being able to dodge it and use it to get rid of Stealth Rock was pretty impressive. Like Kiawe said, it wasn't luck, but part of his strategy and it paid off nicely for Ash. Ash was able to go on the offensive some more with causing some damage with Rockruff and even used Bloom Doom with Rowlet. Ash was having trouble with the Z-move at the beginning of the episode, but I figured that he'd use it during the Grand Trial. It was a pretty cool moment that really showed how powerful the Z-Move was.

Even though they had some momentum going after that victory and Rowlet was going to carry Rockruff in the air again, Rockruff became so aggressive that it attacked Rowlet and knocked it out of the match. The expression in its face when it realized what it did was so sad. It looked so terrified and then full of regret when it walked up to Ash. It was probably determined to face Lycanroc on its own, but it didn't meant to hurt Rowlet as a result. While Ash shaking his bottom like a tail is still a weird image, I really liked the meaning behind the moment. Instead of getting angry at Rockruff or telling that what it did was awful, Ash's first reaction was to comfort and reassure Rockruff with what they did for its training. It was a sweet moment that showed how much Ash cares about his Pokemon and how he bonds with them. It's one of the reasons why I like Ash since his love for his Pokemon always feels genuine.

Rockruff was doing surprisingly well against its evolved form, but Lycanroc had already taken on quite a bit of damage by this point. Rockruff jumping on Lycanrock's Rock Slide in order to use Rock Throw was pretty cool and it did end the match. Ash was able to get a new Z-Crystal and using it with Rockruff should be pretty cool. The notion that Rockruff was close to evolution made sense. In the show and in the games, Rockruff can become more aggressive when it is close to evolving. I heard about Rockruff evolving in the Japanese version, but I thought that there would be a bit more buildup to it. I can see why they waited for it to act more aggressive until now, but I would have thought that it would have been involved in more battles before now. It's not forced or unbelievable exactly. It has been excited whenever it saw any Lycanroc and even the episode where Ash trained and caught it was all about how it wanted to get strong enough to defeat a Magmar. The lack of more traditional battles in this series probably doesn't help it, but I would have expected a bit more buildup for Ash's first evolution in his SM team.

Still, I thought it was sweet how Ash just wanted Rockruff to choose whatever form it wanted. Tapu Lele showed up to heal their wounds again, so that was nice. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. I don't think it was as good as Ash's first Grand Trial, but I was just more surprised that they gave Ash a good victory with just two Pokemon. This was still a good match, although I still have no idea what the end goal of the series is when they rushed through the Akala Island Trials within five episodes after over twenty episodes between Ash's first and second Trials. When SM started, I assumed that Trials would be treated like Gyms since they're basically the Alola versions of Gyms in the games, but the show kind of treats them like an afterthought considering how Ash's motivation for them comes and goes at a drop of a hat. This would probably bother me more if I didn't enjoy the series. I do like it and even just having random island adventures for Ash and his new friends can be entertaining. It just still feels weird to me that I don't know what the end goal of a Pokemon series is for once, so that confuses me more than anything else.