1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Talkback: Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon: "The Ol' Raise and Switch!" [9/9]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Light Lucario, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
    Ash challenges Tapu Koko to a rematch and loses.
    Ash captures Litten.
    Litten learns Fire Fang.
    Team Rocket gets a Darkinium Z Crystal before Team Skull could.
    Sophocles catches a Charjabug.
    Ash meets Gladion.
    Ash learns about the next set of trials after seeing Gladion's Z-Move.

Last Time:

"Lulled to La-La Land!"
    Ash and his friends are off to a camping trip for the Pokemon School. Lana tells a scary story by the campfire and it suddenly starts to come true. Something causes the campers to fall asleep and then awake up withered and exhausted. What is causing this and can Ash stop it in order to save his friends?​

This Time:
    "The Ol' Raise and Switch!"
    Saturday September 9th, 9AM
    Professor Kukui announces that their new assignment is to trade Pokemon with each other. It's only a temporary change, but it still means that Ash will be separated from Pikachu and Lillie will be away from Snowy. Will Ash be able to handle another Pokemon partner and will Lillie be able to touch another Pokemon that isn't Snowy?

Notes:
    The 20th season of Pokemon is here to promote the seventh generation.
    Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
    The first season of Pokemon in HD is available for digital purchase and rental.
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will be released on November 17th.
    There is a main series Pokemon game in development for the Switch system.
    A code for a special Salazzle is available from GameStop until September 4th.
    The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
    Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

2. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

This was a cute episode. It was interesting to see everyone interacting with different Pokemon, although this episode now makes me wonder if Lana and Mallow have any Pokemon other than Popplio and Steenee respectively. Also, Snowy's demeanor reminds me of Serena's Eevee, with Litten being the equivalent to Bunnelby in this series.

3. PF9

PF9 Member

Lillie still has a long way to go. I have a feeling there is more to her character and her family than meets the eye (NOT a Transformers reference).

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty sure that all of the characters at this point, besides Ash and Sophocles, only have one Pokemon. While that does seem rather small compared to the other main casts' Pokemon teams, it also kind of works given the larger cast size. It would be hard to make most of the Pokemon stand out if everyone had a large team. Aside from Kiawe and maybe Lillie, I don't think that it would necessarily help their goals to catch more Pokemon either.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. Having the cast temporary trade Pokemon with each other was a pretty neat idea. Most of the choices worked nicely in how they were the opposite kind of Pokemon they were used to, especially in terms of behavior. Although, I was expecting Ash and Pikachu to be more upset over being separated. It was only temporary and they both know Lillie, but considering how close they are, being separated at all should have caused more of a reaction beyond the first initial shock. I did like how Kiawe was worried about how Turtonator could scare Lana's little sisters though.

Togedemaru was too energetic for Mallow compared to the more mellow Steenee, while Steenee's mellowness was too different for Sophocles. They both made use of those differences with Togedemaru helping to clean the restaurant, even though it nearly destroyed it before, and Steenee using its scent to lure Sophocles into a sleep. Kiawe just being okay with leaving Popplio with his sister seemed a bit odd. He wasn't sure how to handle Popplio, but he just went off the moment he could get a chance. At least Popplio helping him with the Taruos made Kiawe more comfortable around Popplio. Lana didn't really get much to do with Turtonator aside from cleaning its back.

The most spotlight was mostly on Ash and Lillie's attempts to take care of each other's Pokemon. I liked how Snowy was so stand off-ish at first. It made sense when Lillie was the first person it bonded with and hasn't been away from Lillie prior to this. I kind of wish that more of the Pokemon had this kind of reaction to being separated from their trainer, but then Snowy would have a harder time standing out. It was nice that it was warming up to Ash slowly but surely. Even Litten tried to help Snowy with offering that berry. Ash offering to train Snowy so it could be stronger for Lillie was a nice touch too.

I liked that Lillie took this lesson as a chance to get comfortable with Pikachu. She was still too nervous even with that desire, although Pikachu suddenly moving while she was trying to touch it didn't help. I could almost understand why Pikachu jumped at the chance to have Lillie touch it before during her first focused episode, but eating while knowing that Lillie was trying to reach out to it did seem like a bit much.

The battle Lille had with Pikachu was fairly decent, even though it was a tad short. I'm not sure if it was a matter of Pikachu not trusting her so much as that Lillie didn't have enough faith and trust in Pikachu and in herself. I really liked how they just automatically hugged each other after winning the battle. They didn't even realize what had happened until a moment later. I really liked how they've handled Lillie's fear. Given how deep and long lasting her fear is, having her overcome it with one Pokemon at a time makes sense. They obviously won't have her go through some experience to be comfortable with every kind of Pokemon there is, but it does give her something to do until they get to some of the later events of the games' storyline. Plus, she's the only character in the main cast who has had any kind of development thus far, so that's nice.

It was nice to see the different reactions to getting their Pokemon back. Lillie showing that she could touch Pikachu now was pretty nice too. I kind of wish that we saw Ash and Lillie's battle, but I could see why they didn't since they wouldn't want either side to lose. It would have been cool if Ash had taught Snowy a new attack during their training though. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.