1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Talkback: Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon: "The Island Whisperer!" [9/16]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Light Lucario, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
    Ash challenges Tapu Koko to a rematch and loses.
    Ash captures Litten.
    Litten learns Fire Fang.
    Team Rocket gets a Darkinium Z Crystal before Team Skull could.
    Sophocles catches a Charjabug.
    Ash meets Gladion.
    Ash learns about the next set of trials after seeing Gladion's Z-Move.
    Lillie bonds with Pikachu and is able to touch it.

Last Time:

"The Ol' Raise and Switch!"
    Professor Kukui announces that their new assignment is to trade Pokemon with each other. It's only a temporary change, but it still means that Ash will be separated from Pikachu and Lillie will be away from Snowy. Will Ash be able to handle another Pokemon partner and will Lillie be able to touch another Pokemon that isn't Snowy?​

This Time:
    "The Island Whisperer!"
    Saturday September 16th, 9AM
    Ash and his friends are off to a field tripe to Akala Island led by Kahuna Olivia. Ash is excited to explore another island. As they head over to the island, the group find a Wailmer trapped in some rocks. Can and Ash and Olivia work together to save the Wailmer before it's too late?

Notes:
    The 20th season of Pokemon is here to promote the seventh generation.
    Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
    The first season of Pokemon in HD is available for digital purchase and rental.
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will be released on November 17th.
    There is a main series Pokemon game in development for the Switch system.
    The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
    Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

2. PF9

PF9 Member

We don't see many Pokemon whisperers nowadays. I think this should be a profession that should be explored more.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. It was nice to see Oliva appear in the anime. She comes off more energetic and emotional than she does in the games, but I was okay with that. It helps to give her a more distinct personality. The running gag with her falling down only to brush it off was kind of weird. It was cute to see how she was able to calm down any Pokemon she came across. I don't think that makes her a Pokemon whisper necessarily, even with the episode title in mind, but it showed how in tune she was with Pokemon.

I knew that Ash would eventually head over to the next island, but it seems that it's more of a class field trip more than anything else. That does feel kind of weird. Even Ash's claim that he wanted to take on another Grand Trial felt weird when the trials haven't been brought up for a few episodes. Even then, it was Gladion who brought them up. There have been some complaints about Ash's character in this series, but I do think he's mostly in-character. The only aspect about Ash that would say is out of character is his motivation. His motivation for doing the Island Challenge comes and goes at the drop of a hat. After years of seeing Ash eagerly head towards the next town for his next Gym badge, being so relaxed about the Island Challenge seems really weird.

It honestly makes me wonder what Ash's goal is at this point. He still wants to be a Pokemon Master of course, but I don't really know what his goal is for his Alola journey. It can't be about graduating from the school since the Pokemon school is primarily just a background setting or an excuse for other things to happen. It can't be the Island Challenge, even though I thought it would be given that they're basically the Alola version of Gym battles, since they rarely come up and Ash's motivation to do them comes and goes all the time. I don't think it bothers me too much all things considered given that I do like most of the episodes and the new character, but it does feel like there's a lack of focus on what the main goal of the series is.

Lana was just pointing out all of those Water type Pokemon so she could fake people out about seeing Lugia, but that was pretty funny. It was nice to see Ash and Olivia help out the Wailmer, although seeing Psychic still having an effect on it when Bruxish already left was kind of strange. I guess Ash had only gone to one Pokemon Center at the first island and they wanted to explain that there are multiple Nurse Joys for the new kids in the audience, but Ash should know that every Pokemon Center has a Nurse Joy. It would have made more sense if one of the other students or Rotom Dex asked that question.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. It was just introducing Olivia to the cast and setting up for their trip to the second island, but it was pretty nice.

EDIT: My 43,000 post and it's Pokemon related. Awesome.