1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Talkback: Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon: "So Long, Sophocles!" [8/5]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Light Lucario, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
    Team Rocket makes Beware's cave their secret base.
    James captures a Mareanie.
    Lillie's egg hatches into a Vulpix.
    Lillie bonds with Vulpix who she nicknames Snowy
    Lillie is able to touch Snowy, but is still unable to touch other Pokemon.
    Ash captures Rockruff after helping it to learn Rock Throw.
    Mallow's Bounsweet evolves into Steenee.
    Ash challenges Tapu Koko to a rematch and loses.
    Ash captures Litten.
    Litten learns Fire Fang.
    Team Rocket gets a Darkinium Z Crystal before Team Skull could.

Last Time:

"A Team-on-Team Tussle!"
    Ash is practicing his Z-Moves alongside his friends. However, Team Rocket watches them from afar and they decide to find their own Z-Crystal. They soon find one, but it is guarded by a huge Alolan Raticate and Team Skull battles for the Z-Crystal too. Will Team Rocket win the Z-Crystal?​

This Time:
    "So Long, Sophocles!"
    Saturday August 5th, 9AM
    Sophocles learns that his family will be moving away soon. Ash and his friends decide to throw a going away celebration for Sophocles. However, Sophocles doesn't want to move away. Will Sophocles be able to stay at the Pokemon School?​

Notes:
    The 20th season of Pokemon is here to promote the seventh generation.
    Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
    There will be a break next week due to the Ducktales premiere event.
    The first season of Pokemon in HD is available for digital purchase and rental.
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will be released on November 17th.
    There is a main series Pokemon game in development for the Switch system.
    The Shiny Tapu Koko event is available until August 14th.
    The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
    Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was okay. I didn't think that Sophocles would move away given that he hasn't had much focus and the way his parents were handling it made it seem less likely. I don't know why he had to explain what moving away meant to Togedemaru. It seemed kind of obvious that it would have to say goodbye to Pikachu. Togedemaru's sadness over losing Pikachu would mean more if that crush had been used more often. I thought it would be more frequently brought up early on in the series, but much like Sophocles, it's just been kind of there.

Trying to hide the truth from everyone obviously didn't work. I liked how they all met up with Sophocles after school since they could tell that something was wrong. Kiawe giving him a goodbye present with showing Sophocles his secret spot was nice. He'd obviously want to return the favor, but then his parents told him that he was just going to be three houses down until the roof was repaired. I don't know who is more at fault here. Sophocles really should have asked for more clarification about the move from his parents, but they also probably shouldn't have referred to it as a move exactly and his father definitely shouldn't have made it a big deal when they were just going three houses down from their neighborhood. They're all at fault for this huge communication problem.

While I don't like Sophocles, I could understand why he didn't tell his friends right away. They wouldn't get that mad like he imagined, but it would be a tricky situation to say that you're about to move away only to say the next day that you aren't. Lana's gift to Sophocles wasn't as memorable as Kiawe's, but it was still a nice moment between the two of them. Ash struggling to find his own gift made sense, but Rotom Dex had a pretty good suggestion with finding a Charjabug. They were trying to have an emotional moment with the dinner scene, especially with everyone talking about what Sophocles meant to them, but I don't think it worked that well at all. I don't care much for Sophocles since he's boring and yet kind of annoying at the same time. He's just been kind of there. If they had this kind of setup for Lillie, Kiawe or even Mallow, I think it would be more effective since they have had the more attention/presence among Ash's classmates. Lillie has had the most development thus far, Mallow has her friendship with Lillie, along with her own moments with Ash, and Kiawe kind of feels like the big brother figure of the group. I would have a much easier time believing that one of them moving away would make the group really emotional than with Sophocles. To be fair, I'm not sure if this would work that well with Lana either. She also feels kind of there like Sophocles, but I like her a bit more since she acts more like how I thought she would originally in the games and she has the adorable Popplio. That would give anyone the edge in my book.

Even when Lillie was talking about how he was the first one who talked to her during her first day in Pokemon School, I wondered if they had had any meaningful interaction up to this point. The group chemistry among the whole group generally works for me, but there hasn't been any noteworthy connections with Sophocles. It took them way too long to give Mallow her own episode, but at least she stands out with her upbeat demeanor and her friendship with Lillie. Sophocles just feels too dull to me on an individual level, so the emotional moments during that scene just felt too forced.

Ash giving Sophocles a chance to capture a Charjabug was nice. I kind of wish he caught a Grubbin instead, if only so that we could see a Pokemon go through all of its evolution stages, but they probably wanted to give him Charjabug so that he can just have Electric type Pokemon. It may have also been a nod to his trial in the games that does include Charjabug and they could want to give him a Vikavolt at some point in the future. Sophocles would have to admit the truth afterwards and everyone was fine it with. They were just happy that he wasn't going to move after all and they probably could tell that this was bothering him a lot as well, so that probably made it easier for them to forgive Sophocles. Overall, it was an okay episode. We did finally get to see one of Ash's classmates capture a second Pokemon and there were some nice moments, but I feel like this setup still would have been more effective with some of the other main characters.

3. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Ah, I'm finally caught up on Sun & Moon episodes and talkbacks. My apologies for being persona non grata these past few months.

Well, I seem to like Sophocles more than you Light Lucario, although that's probably owing to the fact that I like his voice actress the most. I don't know why he was so terrified to just admit that there was a miscommunication between him and his parents given how understanding his friends usually are (fantasy Ash's mad walk was funny though). Given Togedemaru's delay in understanding the alleged gravity of the initial situation, I have to wonder if she's young. Would lead credence to Ash's comparison of her and Pikachu being like brother and sister, I suppose. Speaking of which, I'm kind of tired of the Trainers referring to their own Pokemon as "it". Your PokeDex can point out the gender of your friends!

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sophocles' voice is good, fitting and his voice actress does have some impressive range. I don't think most people would instantly tell that she voiced Bonnie in just the previous series. I don't think that would be enough to make me like Sophocles. He's not unlikable exactly, but he's just boring and kind of there most of the time. I've seen fans call Sophocles just a fat Clemont, which is mean in regards to both focusing on his weight and mean towards Clemont. Clemont didn't feel nearly as one note as Sophocles does and he actually had development by this point in XY.

He probably still thought that everyone would be mad or thought he was lying to get attention. Saying that you're moving one day and then saying that you aren't the next is rather suspicious, although he should have figured out that they'd be understanding a lot sooner. The fantasy sequence was still pretty funny. Not as funny as Kiawe launching a Z-Move at Ash or Ash blasting off again in Team Rocket's fantasy sequence, but it still got a laugh out of me. Sophocles and his parents have some serious communication issues though. Sophocles should have doubled check what his farther meant at first, listened to his mother explaining the situation the first time and they shouldn't have said that they were moving since that gives off a pretty different implication than just waiting a week for the roof to be repaired.

I just took that as Ash being clueless about romance as usual. Even if Togedemaru is young, I don't know why Sophocles would have to give a picture in order to explain what moving away meant. That seems pretty obvious to me. I'm not sure if the Pokedex can do that in the anime. Usually a Pokemon's gender is revealed based on how Attract affects them, if it's a male or female only kind of Pokemon like the Bounsweet line, if there are some gender differences in the design, like with the female Pikachu's tail having a heart shape mark at the end, or if the trainer knows ahead of time like Sophocles did. Rotom Dex might have more advanced applications compared to other Pokedexes, but I don't think that there's any indication within the show that it could point out the gender of a specific Pokemon.