1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Talkback: Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon: "Racing to a Big Event!" [6/10]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Light Lucario, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
    Ash attempts to catch a Litten and decides to let it go.
    Lillie takes care of a Pokemon egg to help her with her fear.
    Ash takes part in his first Trial in the Island Challenge.
    Ash defeats Kahuna Hala for his first Grand Trial.
    Ash learns more about Kiawe's family life.
    Kiawe reveals why he wants to become a strong Fire type Trainer.
    Team Rocket makes Beware's cave their secret base.
    James captures a Mareanie.

Last Time:

"The Sun, the Scare, the Secret Lair!"
    Ash and his friends are off to Melemele Sea for an extracurricular lesson, but Team Rocket comes along as well. They're fishing for some new Pokemon. Suddenly, a large group of Mareanie appear. Will Ash and his friends stop Team Rocket from ruining their day at the beach?

This Time:
    "Racing to a Big Event!"
    Saturday June 10, 9AM
    Ash learns from Mallow about a famous Pancake Race. Ash and the rest of his classmates decide to enter it. He soon meets the previous champion and her Alolan Raichu. Team Rocket also decides to enter the race for the grand prize. Who will win the race?
    Notes:
    The 20th season of Pokemon is here to promote the seventh generation.
    Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
    There will be a three hour marathon on July 1st with six brand new episodes.
    The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
    Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's another case of me waiting too long to talk about the recent episode. At least the lack of responses here makes a bit more sense than when that happened with Kiawe's episode. This episode wasn't nearly as interesting as that one was in my opinion.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. The idea of a pancake race seemed really strange to me. They kept saying that it was a tradition on Melemele Island, but it felt more like a nod to Alola Raichu more than anything else. While most of the Alola forms had some believable reason as to why they changed into different types, they just kind of joked about how Alola Raichu came to be due to eating a lot of pancakes. I do still kind of like the almost fatherly relationship vibe I keep getting between Ash and Professor Kukui. It's kind of nice and refreshing. Plus, poking fun at how much Ash eats was kind of funny.

I hope that this wasn't their only attempt at creating a rivalry between Pikachu and a Alolan Raichu since this seemed to go nowhere fast. When Alola Raichu was revealed, I hoped that it would be used for a battle so that they can show why Pikachu doesn't want to evolve. It would be an interesting take, especially if it would be possible for Pikachu to evolve into that kind of Raichu while in Alola. But it was just brushed aside for the pancake race. Team Rocket wanting to enter made sense, especially when getting something different to eat besides Bewear's food would be appealing to them.

The race itself at least involved the trainers more than I thought it would and I actually did like how they took care of any of the fallen pancakes. One of my problems with eating contests or food fights in shows/movies is how it's a complete waste of food. The Alolan Muk are able to eat up the pancakes so that they don't go to waste. Sophocles got taken out pretty easily and I was fine with that. He's my least favorite character thus far. Kiawe was pretty much stuck given that all of his Pokemon are huge and heavy.

It was kind of funny how Mimikyu almost attacked Pikachu twice and then got itself, along with Popplio and Bounsweet disqualified. Although, I don't know why Raich was allowed to float. That seemed like an unfair advantage when any non-Psychic type would have to walk/run instead. Floating due to its psychic powers gave Raichu a clear advantage that no one seemed to care about. No one noticed the obvious fake Bewear either, even with the wheels and the fire coming out of its tale. They were just fine with it until the real Bewear showed up. It was kind of funny how Komala just showed up to win while Pikachu and Raichu were distracted. I had a feeling that it was Principal Oak's partner Pokemon. Although, the fact that it's almost always asleep still makes me wish that Komala could evolve into a part Psychic type in order to project itself while sleeping or something like that. Kiawe refusing to give up hours later was pretty funny too.

Lillie's egg was glowing a bit and then it hatched into a Vulpix. Calling the egg Snowy is pretty cute too. Overall, it was an okay episode. There wasn't much to the race, it didn't really show much of the island's culture and it wasn't particularly engaging. There were some funny moments, but the ending with Vulpix hatching just made me more excited for the next episode. Lillie has been okay with carrying the egg all this time, but now she'll have to deal with her fear now that the egg has hatched into a Pokemon. That should be a lot more interesting to see.

3. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I'm sorry for not participating. There'd been a lot going on in my life that started right when Sun and Moon premiered and I only just caught up not even an hour ago.

So, now that I am caught up, the new series is very interesting, but I agree this was a rather weak episode. Though I did laugh at Kiawe refusing to give up. I myself wondered why no one noticed the fire coming out of "Bewear" yet they noticed Mimikyu's Shadow Ball. And why didn't James just use Mireane?

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's okay. I'm sorry if I made you or anyone else feel bad for not participating. I just noticing the lack of responses. In general, it might be a combination of Pokemon being on a new channel and SM being less focused on action compared to previous series.

I think that Mareanie would be too slow and probably have a hard time carrying the pancakes. Although, it is weird that they didn't explain that within the episode or showed James trying to practice with Mareanie only for it to not work.

5. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

It's perfectly okay. I have noticed a lack of activity myself, but I didn't want to say anything about it.

6. Israel Perry1

Israel Perry1 New Member

Well, I found the episode of pancake race a bit interesting one to play. Yeah, it was tradition on Melemele Island, but it seems awesome that the alola region is also following the same tradition. I have been a craziest fan of playing Acheter Pokemon Soleil ever since I got the Game from one of my friends. Now I am waiting for the further episodes on the Pancakes racing along with the Pokemons.