1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Talkback: Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon Marathon [7/1]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Light Lucario, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
    Team Rocket makes Beware's cave their secret base.
    James captures a Mareanie.
    Lillie's egg hatches into a Vulpix.
    Lillie bonds with Vulpix who she nicknames Snowy
    Lillie is able to touch Snowy, but is still unable to touch other Pokemon.
    Ash captures Rockruff after helping it to learn Rock Throw.

Last Time:

"Rocking Clawmark Hill!"
    Rockruff has suddenly been coming back home covered in scratches. Ash and Professor Kukui find out that Rockruff has been training. Ash decides to help it with training for its next battle. Will Rockruff's training pay off and allow it to win in its next battle?

This Time:
    "They Might Not Be Giants!"
    Saturday July 1st, 9AM
    While Ash and his friends are playing on the beach, Popplio is making a bubble, but a gust of wind pushes Popplio and Rowlet into the bubble and they float away. When they land, they encounter the Litten that wanders around Melemele Island. It decides to take Popplio and Rowlet back to Ash, but Team Rocket soon arrive with plans of their own for Litten. Will they return to their trainers?

"Crystal-Clear Sleuthing!"
    Saturday July 1st, 9:30AM
    When he wakes up and heads to the Pokémon School, Ash soon finds that his Electirium Z. Rotom Dex is a huge fan of a crime show on Alolan TV, so it decides to search for the Electirium Z Will Rotom be able to find the Z-Crystal?

"A Seasoned Search!"
    Saturday July 1st, 10AM
    Mallow has come up with a new food item for the cafeteria. Ash and his friends all decide to ask Mallow to try it. However, the stew doesn't actually taste good and Mallow states that they need some Yellow Nectar in order to finish it, but the problem is that Yellow Nectar is hard to come by at the moment. Ash & Mallow decide to go hunt for some Yellow Nectar, but Team Rocket is up to no good. Will Ash and Mallow get the Yellow Nectar that she needs?

"A Guardian Rematch!"
    Saturday July 1st, 10:30AM
    Ash has gone to visit Sophocles in order to learn the best way to try and defeat Tapu Koko in battle. Ash and Pikachu train with Sophocles in order to gain the upper hand, but soon afterwards Tapu Koko appears and challenges them. Will Ash finally be able to defeat Tapu Koko?

"Partner Promises!"
    Saturday July 1st, 11AM
    Hearing about Treasure Island from his classmates, Ash and Pikachu head to the island to explore. While there, it's the first time Ash and Pikachu have been out adventuring alone in a long time and so they begin to strengthen their bond. However, a mysterious Pokémon appears overhead. Will Ash and Pikachu discover this mysterious Pokemon?

"One Journey Ends, Another Begins..."

Saturday July 1st, 11:30AM
    While shopping, Ash & Pikachu find Litten and learn that it at Stoutland have found a new place to live. However, later Ash finds Litten all worried and panicked and decides to follow Litten to help out. Will Ash be able to help Litten?

Notes:
    The 20th season of Pokemon is here to promote the seventh generation.
    Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
    This is a special marathon for the weekend before July 4th full of six new episodes.
    Weekly premieres will continue next week.
    The first season of Pokemon in HD is available for digital purchase and rental.
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will be released on November 17th.
    There is a main series Pokemon game in development for the Switch system.
    The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
    Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

#1 Light Lucario, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

6 episodes is Disney XD freaking insane?

3. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Why do I have a feeling that the American version is going to avoid dropping hints of what actually happened to Stoutland?

4. Master Lucario

Nope.

Japanese version

Rotom: Where's Stoutland?
    Kukui: Don't ask.

English dub

Rotom: Where's Stoutland?
    Kukui: I'm sorry.

They still got the point across.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I certainly wasn't expecting that myself, especially so soon after their week of premiere event. It's even more surprising when we'll still get new episodes weekly instead of a break like I initially thought we would. Considering how long it took for the series to premiere here and how Cartoon Network treated the series during its last few years of having it on their lineup, I welcome these marathons. I think it might help SM a bit for having premiere events. It still works for their weekly premieres, but I think having some events or a binge watch kind of works more with the light hearted and slice of life vibe SM has going for it.

Anyway, these episodes were pretty good. I won't talk about all six episodes here because that would make the post way too long. I'll probably just talk about one or two episodes at most per post just to prevent that.

The episode with Popplio and Rowlet running into Litten was pretty nice. Popplio and Rowlet getting separated was kind of expected with the episode setup. Although, I don't know if Ash, Lana and Mallow really needed the over the top reactions to their Pokemon floating away. It's more fitting than when Lapras could have been injured and they did do something similar with Team Rocket, but it felt kind of weird, even though it was also funny. I liked the little doodle sketches from Popplio and Rowlet to explain their thoughts. Rowlet being caught up in Team Rocket's ring also prevented it from just flying around to find Ash and the others.

It was pretty smart of Popplio to bounce Rowlet like a ball to get away, but Meowth and Mareanie still caught up. At least Litten saved them and was okay with bringing them back to Scoutland. It didn't seem comfortable with taking them back to Ash, but it was cute how Popplio was admiring Litten so soon after meeting it. Ash took way too long to figure out that he could use Rockruff to smell them out. He did just get it, but it seemed like such an obvious solution that would have helped them out more than simply asking around like they did at first.

It was pretty cute to see the starters interacting with each other. They were able to show off their personalities pretty nicely and it was neat to see all three together in the anime for the first time. Team Rocket capturing them was expected, although I wondered if Litten said something different to Meowth in the Japanese version or at least if it was more clearly put compared to Meowth's dub dialogue. Litten was pretty smart to trick Team Rocket like that and seeing Team Rocket finally have a traditional blast off was pretty cool. Granted, Bewear caught them before they hit the ground, but they still got the blast off light for the first time in SM. It was nice how Ash tried to reach out to Litten since it showed that he does care, but Litten was still too uncomfortable around him.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. It was a traditional Pokemon being separated from their trainers episode, but it was cute to see Rowlet, Litten and Popplio all together and more screentime for Popplio is always good in my book. It's so cute and its voice is so adorable too. It still seemed like Ash could have figured out how to find the Pokemon earlier and I'm not sure why Mallow was in this episode either. Still, it was a fun episode and a good start to the marathon.

6. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

Once again, this is not 4kids! The current dub has covered darker events than this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ATragicFairyTale

Oh, man. That litten episode was 20 minutes of me going through various emotions. What a beautiful episode.

On a side note, I'm really impressed with the dub score (musical score, that is) for sun and moon. I seldom watch the original, but it's pretty obvious that tpci brings a distinctive style to their dub, which gives the series a sense of connectedness that really isn't isn't so obvious in the original. I'm not trying to downplay the Japanese soundtrack (because it will always exceed the dub score) but tpci's soundtracks are usually scored for episodes and each pokemon or character usually have their own respective music score, which results in the episode flowing more. Another note: I'm enjoying sun and moon far more than i expected to, and the sense of world and adventure in the series far exceeds that of the XY series. I'll go as far as to say that the first 20 or so episodes are (to me) the best 20 episodes since kanto. The anime feels fresh again, which is a credit to the animators and the writers. Anyways, loving the series so far

8. GolfDude

GolfDude Member

this marathon basically caught the dub up to previous seasons time difference of just under 3 months between airings...

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Even the 4Kids dub implied/stated characters died before in both the show and a couple of the movies.

Anyway, I thought that the Rotom Dex episode was pretty good. The whole setup felt weird, if only because I wouldn't have expected Ash to be sitting watching TV with Professor Kukui when the series started. The idea of Rotom Dex acting out his favorite TV show in order to solve the mystery was also kind of weird. Ash panicking over how Kiawe would react to him losing a Z-Crystal that Tapu Koko gave him was pretty funny though. I liked how everyone was trying to help Ash with his cover too.

Rotom Dex and Pikachu working together was kind of cute. I especially liked how the security guard looked and sounded tough only to be happy to see a cute Pikachu. People were awfully calm about talking with a Rotom Dex, but the people of Alola seem to be pretty laid back.

Despite his best efforts, Ash really being so suspicious around Kiawe. Accidentally revealing that he lost his Z-Crystal like that was already funny, but Kiawe actually getting as mad as he did during Ash's fantasy sequence made it even better. I didn't think he'd get that mad. He'd be upset at Ash due to how much he values Z-Crystals and being the serious one of the group, but I didn't think he'd attack Ash with his Z-Move. That was hilariously unexpected.

Rotom Dex using the footage for that theory that Kiawe took the Z-Crystal was weird. I understood that they wanted to mirror the unexpected twist from the Detective show, but it was only a theory and he had no hard proof for it. Plus, like Kiawe pointed out, if he had felt the Z-Crystal in his hand, he would have given it back right away. At least Ash did remember where he last saw his Z-Crystal and Pikachu found it in Rotom Dex's wing. I would have preferred for Ash to find it in his pocket instead. After making such a big deal about it, that would have been even more hilarious. Kiawe chasing after Rotom Dex was perfect. At Rotom Dex got a new function to use in the future out of this.

Overall, the episode was pretty good. The gag over Kiawe being upset at Ash and the over dramatic reactions easily made this episode. This was one of the cases where I felt like the humor was really great and the over the top facial expressions didn't feel kind of weird. I have generally liked the humor up to this point, but it was really solid here. The Rotom Dex focus did work out a bit better than I expected too. Rotom Dex is more annoying to me here than he is in the Sun/Moon games, but still not as much as he could be. Part of that could be just his voice or how he gets kind of pushy with being the one to explain information when other characters can do that.

I thought that the Mallow episode was okay. It was nice to see the group hanging out together at Mallow's restaurant. While I feel like they could do more to make the characters more interesting as individuals, there is a decent group chemistry going on for them at least. It was kind of funny that Mallow used Thunderbolt as part of the recipe and that Sophocles was the only one who liked it.

Mallow wanting to make a special signature dish for her family's restaurant was nice and of course Ash would want to help her find the Yellow Nectar. Even with her family's restaurant already being successful, she wanted to help them out even more. It took them awhile to figure out that Bounsweet's Sweet Scent could attract an Oricorio. I don't know why they didn't have Mallow try to capture the Oricorio and lead it to the Yellow Nectar. It would have made more sense than constantly using Sweet Scent. That was a gag that landed a bit flat for me. I guess that they don't want to give Mallow a Pokemon that isn't a Grass type, but it would have been better than just running after the Oricorio.

Team Rocket going after them was expected, but Bounsweet evolving into Steenee was a bit of a surprise. It felt a bit forced when it hadn't been in a battle and all it has done up to this point was use Sweet Scent, but a Team Rocket attack causing a Pokemon to evolve is certainly not new and this does give Steenee more to do by simply having arms, as well as more moves. At least Mallow got the Yellow Nectar and everyone loved the dish. It wasn't the signature dish she was looking for, but they wouldn't solve her goal this quickly either.

Overall, it was an okay episode. Admittedly, it feels too late to give Mallow her own focused episodes eighteen episodes into the series. Even Kiawe getting his episode eleven episodes into its run was pushing it, but at least they were doing more setup with the other characters and Ash's trials at the time. Mallow at least has her friendship with Lillie to make her stand out in spite of that, but I think that they spread out the focused episodes a bit too much. Plus, while Mallow's devotion to her family's restaurant was nice, it's not a particularly interesting goal. The only other characters with interesting goals thus far are Lillie with attempting to overcome her fear of Pokemon and Kiawe wanting to be the Fire of Alola, if only because his focused episode made the goal more personal. That being said, the episode was still fun and it was nice that Mallow could get some more attention. I would have preferred for her to capture the Oricorio instead of getting Bounsweet to evolve this early on in the series, but she'll probably only get Grass type Pokemon.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that the Tapu Koko episode was pretty good. It was nice to see Ash battling with Rockruff. I could see why he'd want to battle Tapu Koko again considering that he already completed the Grand Trial. I would have preferred some more training with his Pokemon before getting to that point. He just got Rockruff and hasn't had a lot of on-screen training/battling with it or Rowlet. We've only seen bits of them practicing Z-Moves in some of the other episodes.

It was nice that Sophocles wanted to help Ash gather more data and seeing his family was kind of nice too, but I don't know how running in place really helped them to collect more data. Ash and Pikachu did start to glow like they were about to use a Z-Move just by running. I wonder if that could be hinting as to one reason why Tapu Koko has taken such a strong interest in Ash. Maybe he has a lot more energy than most trainers do that makes him better able to use Z-Moves or something like that.

The training did get Tapu Koko's attention and of course it would want to battle against Pikachu again instead of Rowlet or Rockruff. The rematch itself was pretty nice. I don't think running around really confused Tapu Koko so much as it was preparing to strike back when it could. They were able to pull off Givavolt Havoc more effectively this time around and the battle lasted longer too. Granted, the previous one was just to get Ash more interested in the Island Challenge and Z-Moves, but it was still worth noting.

Of course Ash would dive over a cliff to save Pikachu, but it was nice that Tapu Koko saved them. Both Professor Kukui and Kiawe were relieved that Ash was safe. Ash took the defeat well since he could keep working hard to beat Tapu Koko. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. It was a pretty decent rematch all things considered and it does make me wonder how and when Ash will defeat Tapu Koko.

The episode about Ash and Pikachu's own adventures was pretty good. Of course everyone tried to get out of the girls going shopping whenever they could. Even Rotom Dex wanted to go to watch that Detective show. While it was an excuse, the desire to watch its favorite show live was relatable since I do that with Pokemon all the time. Although, it was seriously weird to hear Ash tell Rotom Dex that he could just DVR it. A modern term like that just felt so sudden to me. Ash was happy with getting his own adventure on Treasure Island once he was done going along with the shopping spree.

It was really refreshing to see it just being Ash and Pikachu for most of the episode. Like Ash pointed out, it had been a long time since it was just the two of them together. They were out playing with a bunch of wild Pokemon. Ash was just in his element and it made his happiness all the more sincere. Even talking about how much he loved being in Alola and meeting all of his new friends worked because he looked and sounded so genuinely happy.

Ash wanting to rescue the Wimpod was nice, although I don't know why they didn't use Iron Tail on the front part of the cave. Maybe they thought it would be too risky if they could get Wimpod to move, but it felt a bit strange, especially when they did use the move later on. Ash struggling to climb up the cliff only to fall down was more fitting for his first reaction anyway. Pikachu licking Ash's scuffed up hands was sweet though. It was nice that they saved the Wimpod with the help of the Exeggutor they met earlier. The Wimpod was so happy and grateful to Ash that it almost looked like it wanted to stay with Ash. He does need a Water type Pokemon for his team, but I don't know if they'd give him a Wimpod. It was pretty neat to see Tapu Lele heal Ash. It almost reminded me of how he saw Ho-Oh in a way. Tapu Lele showed up after Ash displayed great concern and kindness over a Pokemon, much like what happened with Ho-Oh.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. Ash and Pikachu bonding some more was cute and it was refreshing to see them being out on their own for the majority of an episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

@Light Lucario, you may want to check the image in your OP. It seems Photo Bucket has disabled it from public viewing.

EDIT: The same has happened in your other talkbacks.

EDIT #2: PB has disabled hotlinking for good. Time to move to a new host.

#11 Daikun, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I should have responded earlier. Sorry about that. I've been busy this week. I wouldn't know how to change the image anyway since Shadow creates the Talkback images. I'll have to ask him for a new talkback image from a different site. This affects all of the talkback images he's made, so it might be more of an issue.

Anyway, I thought that the Litten episode was pretty good. It was nice to see Ash trying to help Litten out when he saw it again. He wanted to capture it before, but he stopped the moment he realized that Litten was helping out Stoutland and his reactions towards Litten ever since then reflect that. It was nice to see that Stoultand was trying to teach Litten Fire Fang as well, even though it was clearly not doing well itself.

It was sweet how Litten ran up to Ash for help when Stoutland wasn't feeling well. While it hasn't been comfortable with Ash, possibly because it didn't want to become close to a human, it knew that Ash would help them out when push comes to shove. Ash wanting to carry Stoutland all the way to the Pokemon Center was sweet, even if it was too much on him. I was already getting a bit emotional at the Pokemon Center scene. While they didn't flat out say it, Nurse Joy basically told Ash that Stoutland was dying. It wasn't sick or injured, but it clearly wasn't doing well and only showing their conversation made the implications clear. Despite that, Litten and Stoutland just went back to their home one more time.

It was obvious where they were going with this. They've implied that Stoutland was going to die when Litten first showed up and this episode was just full of obvious foreshadowing too. Despite that, it was really heartbreaking to see Litten call out for Stoutland and then proceed to be depressed over its death. It was an emotional scene, the music during Litten being depressed was especially good and I was just in tears. A good part of that was how this reminded me of my own experience with losing my dogs. Going to the vet and hearing that there was nothing more that we could do shattered my heart and that scene in the Pokemon Center reminded me of that. Even Litten's grief over Stoutland was pretty relatable since Litten didn't want to move. It was emotionally effective and I do want to give the show credit for handling both the implication of death and the grief process pretty well. We've had death in the series before. Even in XY, there were two filler episodes where they clearly said that different characters had died, so it wasn't like this was unheard of. We just normally don't hear of Pokemon dying outside of movies. Still it was handled well and Ash wanting to stay by Litten's side until it got better was rather sweet. It was clear that he cared about Litten and wanted to help it.

While I do like how they handled Stoutland's death, the way that Litten seemingly resolved its grief wasn't as good. On one hand, it was a sweet moment that Stoutland's spirit saw Litten one more time and that idealistic message does fit with the tone of the series. But on the other hand, it was too easy of a way to resolve Litten's grief. Granted, grief is a complicated process, not everyone grieves in the same way and they probably didn't want to linger on Stoutland's passing for more than an episode. I can understand why they went that route and it still was sweet, but it still left me with mixed feelings, especially when grief does not go away that easily. Maybe if there are signs that Litten still feels sad over Stoutland later on, it will work better one me in retrospect.

I liked how Ash asked Litten to join them, but Litten still asked for a battle instead. I thought that they'd actually have a winner from that battle instead of having basically a sparring match, but it probably was enough for Litten to finally accept Ash and be captured. It was sweet how Ash wanted to help Litten work on its Fire Fang attack. That would be one way to potentially show Litten being sad over Stoutland in the future if mastering Fire Fang makes it think back to Stoutland. It was also sweet that even though Meowth considered Litten the enemy after it was captured, it was still happy for Litten. That final shot on the Stoutland cloud was a sweet note to end the episode on.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. I still have mixed thoughts on the resolution to Litten's grief, but it was good and had some surprisingly effective emotional scenes. It wouldn't have pictured Ash with a Litten when the games were first announced. For some reason, a cat Pokemon for Ash seemed kind of weird. But much like DP, there were few options for Ash's Fire type team member. As cool as Alola Marowak is, that would be better suited for Kiawe. Salandit is awesome, but it's more associated with Team Skull and Plumeria, if she shows up in the anime, will most likely have Salazzle. That pretty much left Litten as Ash's only choice for a Fire type. Ash has two starters on his team again, so hopefully the screentime will be balanced out well for them. It would be interested if Ash gets both Rowlet and Litten to evolve. A Decidueye might be likely given that it seems to be the most popular out of the final form of the Alola starters, but giving Ash an Incinerorar would be pretty cool too.