TALKBACK - MAD - "Straight A Team / Gaming's Next Top Model" - [2/28]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by {Shadow}, Feb 28, 2011.

1. {Shadow}

{Shadow} #WatchToonami - Saturdays 12:00-3:30am!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 016 - [​IMG] - Number 204

Straight A Team / Gaming's Next Top Model
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 8:15PM
    repeats
    TUESDAY at 4:45PM
    THURSDAY at 8:30PM

This week...
    MAD takes on The A-Team, America's Next Top Model, iCarly, and more.​

2. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

I caught the promo, and Samus Aran (Metroid) will be in this episode. Presumably she'll be a part of the Gaming's Next Top Model sketch.

Is this the very first time she has appeared in animation? I know Mother Brain was the main villain in Captain N and that "Metroid" was a location in the show, but Samus herself only appeared in the tie-in comic books.

In any case, I'm actually tuning in tonight. Hopefully it'll be better than what I've come to expect from this sloppy, amateurish show.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

MAD has already spoofed iCarly once before, in the first episode ("CSiCarly"), but Robot Chicken has parodied the same things multiple times, so why can't MAD?

4. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

Meh, I'm mostly watching now just so I can catch that Benson appearance.:shrug:

5. Idiot Elzar

Idiot Elzar That's what SHE said.

No more pop culture references. Please. This show has no actual humor.

6. lukeguy

lukeguy New Member

I was gonna just stop watching this show, but I suppose I'll tune in for "Gaming's Next Top Model"...

7. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

I'm getting annoyed by all these negative comments, like this show is bad, or it's not funny, etc. The episode hasn't even aired yet, if you don't like show don't watch it.:sad:

8. Idiot Elzar

I don't watch it. And the show is terribly bad. I assume it's taking after the show it's named after, Mad TV. What's the difference? Mad is just mindless drivel trying to reference in as many pop culture references in 15 seconds as possible, and Mad TV is actual skit comedy. This is a complete abomination. The show needs to get out so CN can free up a time slot for a show that looks like it took actual thought and wit to create, not just a giant list of things that've come out recently.

9. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Heh, Phineas, Ferb, and Perry...

"'Enter Password'? THEY'RE ON TO US!" *smashes computer and crashes through the window*

10. Mister Modular

Mister Modular Miss Carmody

¡AY CARLYYYYY! ¡AY CARLYYYYY!

I love the Hanna-Barbara-esque skit. I do wish Dad would let me play his "games", though. :sad:

11. WMania

WMania Check Out My Avatar Thread!

Best episode yet, despite the terrible ending.

12. Idiot Elzar

Do you guys see what they did there? I did. It was pretty funny. They- they referenced the video games of Mario. Get it? It was funny. They referenced the games by calling super mario galaxy better than super mario brothers. They also put in Samus Aran from Metroid! I LOVED that game for the Nintendo Wii! I'm only 12 so I presume that Galaxy > that original game for the Sega Genesis or whatever, so that was funny. The whole iAY CARLY! thing was funny too, because it had funny faces and (do you guys get this, or is this humor too in-depth for just a few people to get?) they made fun of the show iCarly by using the spanish phrase "AY CARAMBA, ME GUSTA EL VELLO PUBICO!" to be "AY CARLY!" Do you guys get this? I think this is really, really funny humor and can't wait for this show to be aired 4 times a day. Get it guys? So funny!

I keed, this entire series is worse than Control Alt Delete.

13. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

I lol'd at the Benson gag and the Phineas & Ferb shoutout. Missed parts because sis was yakking at me.

Five words words for the ending:

A BIG LIPPED ALLIGATOR MOMENT!

14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Uh isn't modern day sketch humor mostly just made up of Modern Day or basic pop culture refrences? Really I don't see what the problem is with having a show that actually does it's homework having them.

And I do actually give credit for MAD for actually doing some research. Despite some of the bad voices used, the Straight A Team actually had a great parody or at least use of Phineas and Ferb from the lack of a Ferb line, the invention and even doing the whole "yes yes I am" at the end, the later of which is something you'd really only get if you know, bothered to acutally use the show. And I also applaud the Gaming Princess show (kind of a confusing name with princesses and not actual princesses on it) for actually using a Sheik joke that wasn't just a "is she a he" and doing an actually tasteful Zero Suit Samus Aran joke. I have to admitt I'm kind of mixed on the ending since I did like the twist of them not saying and it being a parody of drawing out the tension but... also kind of annoying too. It'd be funny though if like in the middle of next week's show they announced the winner and made it one of those fun continuity jokes.

15. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

There is a difference between stating your opinion and straight up trolling, It's clear you don't like this show, so why waste your time posting here?:sad:

16. Sam Hill

Sam Hill New Member

I agree with what you're saying but this show is actually based on MAD Magazine, which MAD TV was also (originally) based on.

And, no, the magazine is nothing like this show other than the segments that have been taken directly from it (mostly "Spy vs. Spy").

17. OneHungryHippo

OneHungryHippo New Member

The Sega Genesis? Dude, it was released for the NES. You shouldn't have the right to know about the original Super Mario Bros. if you don't know what console it came out on. There weren't even any Mario games for the Sega Genesis, but there was Castlevania: Bloodlines.

Anyway, I did not really enjoy this episode. I thought the first sketch wasn't too good, I only liked the Phineas and Ferb part. The whole father and mother thing was kind of funny, but not all that funny. I did enjoy the princess sketch, but what ridiculously annoyed me was the fact that not only was Samus' name pronounced wrong, Samus is not a princess, she is a bounty hunter. I still thought that was a funny sketch. I thought it was about a 7.0/10.

18. Idiot Elzar

That's like saying Zelda isn't a girl.

19. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

So yeah. Samus Aran and Benson (man, it's a great night for him!) made this episode for me. The whole Gaming's Next Top Model sketch was very good until the awful unreveal; they did great with all the Nintendo references and appearances, I was glad to see the girls posing with their respective franchise baddies. Especially Ridley.

To answer FFmax... I gave this show a chance, I really did. It has it's flashes of brilliance, but it wasn't enough for me to keep watching regularly. I decided I wasn't going to watch it anymore unless something really relevant to my interests popped up, and this episode was one such instance. In fact, the MAD writers deserve a ton of credit for referencing Metroid at all because it's not exactly a blockbuster Nintendo franchise like Mario or Zelda or Pokemon; they were breaking out of their usual mold of instantly recognizable pop culture icons.

20. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I was glad to see them use "snappy answers to stupid questions" (though i wish they had gotten al jaffee to do the designs).