Talkback - Gravity Falls - "The Golf War" [8/11]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by ShadowBeast, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Season 2 - Episode 3
    Premieres
    Tonight 9:00pm/8:00 Central​
    Plot: After being belittled by Pacifica one too many times, Mabel challenges her to a miniature golf-off which gets a bit out of control when some local residents offer their help.

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

You know I'm beggining to see why Disney is airing new episodes at 9:30 with the stuff they are saying like kill or slice open

3. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

In terms of the series overall plot of the series this episode feels like somewhat of a speed bump. Correct me if I'm wrong but there weren't any important book or stangate related scenes, I missed the sequence before the opening so I'm not sure but it felt mostly like an episode focused on Mabel with everyone else taking a backseat, there is one thing possibly important I spotted that I won't spoil though. It was full of some good laughs and a very poignant moment that I won't spoil. In terms of Pacifica's character development, it took babysteps in the right direction, but I felt like she came out swinging a little too hard at the beginning of the episode, it was like they turned her meanness up a few hundred notches from season 1. There were certainly some dark moments and references to violence. I'll say this was an average episode, the last two this season were much better.

4. Gatordragon

Gatordragon This ain't no Kong!

Yeah, this show is darker than most other Disney shows. I'm glad it's not censored, especially with all the talk about balls.

Anyway, this episode was pretty good. Not as intense the previous two episodes, but still enjoyable.

Yuck, hairy pancakes. I'll stick to bacon pancakes for now.

So close, Mabel. Pacifica one upped you.

"Is it illegal for a child to wear that much makeup?" If you think that's bad, Grunkle Stan, then you might want to stay away from beauty pageants.

Drowning your sorrows in orange juice. There's no alcohol, but it's full of vitamin C!

Mini-golf is fun stuff. One course I went to had baby alligators I could feed. It was a blast!

This mini-golf course is crappier than the one in my hometown.

Good thing Old Man McGucket was there to ensure Mabel's hole-in-one.

And Mabel's winning streak is over. I'm surprised she didn't punch something.

Well look who it is. It's Pacifica Northwest, aka Angelica Pickles. Always there to poop on Mabel's fun, I see.

Oh snap, Mabel. That was one of the longest uncensored insults I've heard in my life. It's on now, boyos.

That mini-golf employee's horrendous golf carting skills would fill Mordecai and Rigby with shame.

Nice imagination sequence. It was delightfully Eighties and this is coming from a guy who didn't exist back in that time period.

Breaking and entering? As Grunkle Stan once said: "When the cops aren't around, anything is legal".

What is this? Tiny Dutch golfball people? I wonder if they worship this creature as their deity.

Dipper and Mabel are like kaiju compared to the Lilliputtians. For the rest of this episode, I'm calling Dipper "Dippalor" and Mabel "Mabella". That's my kaiju names for them.

Watching the Liputtians control the golf balls is like watching Peewee Herman's breakfast machine.

No singing please! This isn't a Disney World ride.

So each hole has their own tiny golfball people with their own gimmick. I can't say they're not diverse.

These guy's sure love balls. Glad they're also not obsessed with sacks.

This is the second most pitiful tiny fighting I've seen in a cartoon.

"Pacifica's rich, Mabel. She's cheating at life." It's tough being the 99%.

These little guys have some creative insults.

Oh ho ho man! Soos taking his shirt off and trying to get close with Grunkle Stan was hilarious! "Welp, this is gettin' weird." Couldn't have said it better myself, Grunkster. I bet the shippers will be all over that scene.

Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls... LET'S GET READY TO MINI-GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLFF!!

Engage mini-golf cheating sequence.

Uh oh, the mining hole has sprung a gas leak. It's up to Kevin Michael Richardson to save the day!

No, Kevin Michael Richardson! Who's going to voice Sheriff Blubs on this show now?

The miner golfball people may have won over Dippalor and Mabella, but it appears the Dutch golfball people have an ace in the hole.

I like pulp in my drinks, but an entire seed pit is too much.

Looks like the Dutch golf people's plan is swiping a rich witch (honk honk!).

Ah, they went all Gulliver's Travels on Pacifica. Looks like they're called Lilliputtians for something other than a pun.

They're gonna kill her? If you're going to kill a rich witch, you gotta burn them at the stake.

Mabella has spoken: no sticker for you! It's in her tummy now.

Well that plan went horribly right. The golfball people are working together... to try and disembowel Mabella to get the sticker.

Wow, a windmill buzz saw. I've seen windmills used as giant ninja stars, but buzz saws are a first.

Agile moves, Mabella. I would've unleashed my inner kaiju and went King Kong on those golfball people. I always wanted to do that.

Silly Dippalor. Don't you know you can drown in a few inches of water?

Oh Pacifica, never berate your rescuer while they're trying to save you. That was pretty funny.

Now that's unleashing your inner golf-playing kaiju, Mabella and Pacifica! Pacifica's name already sounds kaiju-esque.

Yeah, Dippalor! That's how you drive a golf cart! Mordecai and Rigby would approve.

Now that's an escape, boyos! Woo!

Well Pacifica accepted Mabella's apology. That's better than nothing.

Heehee, Pacifica's forced to ride with the Pines. How unsurprising she never heard about sharing.

Huh, Pacifica did have fun after all. You may have almost died, but it's worth the enjoyment.

Get outta here golfball person. No sequel hook for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  5. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

OK, this is generally some nice character development.
    And also a beautiful middle-finger to Hartman.

Also, nice Big John reference.

6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Cryptograms:

7. ShadowBeast

Despite being a filler this was another fantastic episode, but I wouldn't even call this a filler episode, it's more of a character development episode since we got a lot of character development from Pacifica and in a way Mabel too.
    We see Mabel's rivalry with Pacifica at it's highest to the point where Mabel was willing to cheat to beat her, and we see that Pacifica while rich she doesn't get everything she wants (parental love) and she has the burden of keeping up with the family name.
    But even Mabel's dislike of Pacifica wouldn't prevent her saving her and trying to be her friend, which I hope happens since Pacifica needs a friend like Mabel.
    I wonder which of Pacifica's friends Tiffany was?
    I think the only downside was Stan and Soos having little screentime but we only get 22 minutes and the scenes they were in were still funny.
    Robbie's scene was also funny especially the fact he gave certain hand gestures to the Mini Golf King.

All three episodes gave us a huge amount of character development and so far there hasn't been a single drop in quality.

I'd imagine Hartman as the Mini Gold King since I'm pretty sure those were the gestures that Robbie gave him lol.

8. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Watching the clips was obvious that it's not gonna be as darker then the 2 previous episode still was fun to watch also as Dipper mentioned it's good to take a break from the last episode and they need it because they haven't seen nothing yet.

Looks like Robbie even when he's sad about the breakup with Wendy he's still doing his vandalism by graffiting on the mini golf course and funny with the mini golf king where Robbie giving him hand gestures lol, btw the mini golf king reminds me of the Squeaky voice teen of the Simpsons XD. Nice that Dipper brought Pacifica's heritage when she shows up till Pacifica confirmed him that they silent everyone with money. The rest of the episode showing Mabel how to win Pacifica while day dreaming with Xyler and Craz lol. We now see that the entire mini golf course is run well.....by mini golf people and i'm glad Dipper stop them from singing, really hate when they add a singing scene so it was funny how Dipper told them no singing, reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail lol.

It was expected that the Lilliputtians will go so far on getting that trophy sticker that they will kill Pacifica to get it. The fight and the chase was done nicely also showing that Mabel and Pacifica work well as a team. Pacifica got a good character development in this episode and was nice to her on leaving the sticker that Mabel gave her on her shirt and made an excuse that it looks good on her golf shirt also shows that she doesn't seem to know stuff like sharing and it's obvious she doesn't know friendship either which would be nice to see her trying to get along with Mabel even if it's a friendly rivalry now but knowing her parents they will give her alot of pressure.

The Soos and Grunkle Stan scene together was just creepy lol. Soos has problems XD. I like how Pacifica complimented on Soos's W on his shirt and he was so happy about it XD. Overall was a good episode tho kinda sucks we have to wait till September for new episodes but so far these 3 episodes are fun to watch that i will watch them time and time again till September comes.

9. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

While I most definitely see this episode as a comedown from the first two of the season, it's still a good episode by every stretch and above-average entertainment for cartoons with this age group.

There were definitely some things that left me conflicted as I was watching, particularly the Pines' morality code. Now, the initial idea of them cheating the game was at least half-justified with Dipper declaring that "Pacifica cheats at life", and Mabel just wanted to put the self-centered "valley girl stereotype" in her place, along with her eventually learning the lesson that rivalries don't gain anything, but breaking through the gate just to practice the game? Really? That just felt wrong to me, even if it was just a one-off gag (in fact, that may be exactly my problem). It's one thing for just Stan to do something like this, but the entire family... no. That, and their cheating went a tad too far, which they thankfully saw as wrong before the damage got too bad.

Then there's how Pacifica was portrayed. I never liked her in season 1, as she essentially felt like the Diamond Tiara of the show, only existing to make Mabel look bad, and she started out exactly the same here. But then, part-way through the episode, we discover that she was entirely raised this way by her parents, and in the end she becomes somewhat reasonable towards Mabel. Granted, it's in the face of death and getting heavily rained on, but it still adds a huge layer to depth to her character that I have to give major kudos for, and I seriously hope future appearances with her show shades of this.

The "Littleputtians", if that's how you spell it, were a decent twist to the setup. They definitely aren't even close to the most memorable things to come out of this show, but they prove to have entertaining moments and the way the groups in each prop have a rivalry proves to be actually kind of intriguing. It helps that they become one of the most essential plot elements as the episode progresses. Though I really do question why they wanted to cut Mabel open to get the sticker; from what I understood, they saw value in it earlier because they wanted a sign that one group was better than the others. Why would they still want it after banding together?

Entertainment-wise, this episode delivers not as fully as the first two of the season, but still very well. Most of the many jokes thrown work, there's an intriguing sense of energy throughout the experience, the building of the competition proves effective, and the backgrounds are fun and colorful, which fit the environment. Interesting to see that they've got a new animation team working on this show, too.

This isn't quite the best episode of the series, but I'd definitely put it in the middle of the road for this series which is still a pretty good distinction to have.

Also, Jim Cummings was in this? Which character did he play?

10. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

What about Big Henry? REMEMBER BIG HENRY XD

I think it was Pacifica's golf trainer who Jim Cummings voiced.

11. ShadowBeast

He played the head pirate.

12. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    I agree with these sentiments ROYALLY - Also, to all of you wanting more action... Let's be fair about and honest about all of this. We needed a brake from the story - driven epicness & chaos at play of the last two episodes. After all, if you blow your load too early, things get stale, or worse, unbearable, the rest of the way... That alone is why I appreciate this break (and this particular episode) so much right now. For me, at least, this will only become an issue if we see too much of it, anyway.

I still don't like Pacifica, though. So if this is character development for her, it better start sticking and stitching together real fast... OR ELSE. I say all of this because Mabel was in the right the whole time, IMHO, even if she did cheat (she owned up to it in the end, which is all that matters to me.).

13. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Wasn't sure but you're right, it's the head pirate who Jim Cummings voiced.

I agree that we shouldn't like Pacifica just because of this episode since she's still a bit of a beach. If they show her in more episodes and her character developments further then going to the status quo(which this show hasn't gone in that road, thankfully) we might like her more.

14. ShadowBeast

Yeah the complaints seem to be only because this episode doesn't provide more on the main story, even Avatar had fillers.

With Pacifica's development here it would explain why she was nicer in Mabel's "colors" short (If this episode takes place before the short).
    But considering the creator isn't Butcher Hartman, Pacifica's development should and hopefully stick.

The pirate sounded like Pete from Goof Troop so I knew it was him.

15. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I was thinking about that since in the short was a surprise she let Mabel have her on the video and tell her fav color which you think she would say something hurtful on Mabel.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

This episode might not have been as scary and intense as the last two but it was definitely funnier. I love how Mabel called Pacifica a "one-dimensional, bleach blonde, valley girl stereotype." Fun lampshade hanging there.
    And definitely expect Pacifica's character growth to stick around. Gravity Falls has very strong continuity, while FOP is concerned more about comedy than character development, which it always has been.

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I'm not expecting Pacifica to do a complete face turn overnight, but this is a step in the right direction. This episode made a point to show how fruitless rivalries are, it wouldn't reflect well on the show if they went all that way to drive that message home only to go back on it.

And don't worry, ShopSoldier, since this isn't Littlest Pet Shop, I expect Pacifica's character development to stick.

Some good lines here: I liked Mabel calling Pacifica a "one-dimensional bleach blond Valley Girl stereotype", Stan asking Soos "Is it wrong to want to punch a child?" and Dipper's trying to convince Mabel that it's OK for her to cheat since "Pacifica's rich. She's cheating at life."

How many people picked up on the "Big Henry" bit being a takeoff of the legend of John Henry, a steel driving man who proved that he could dig faster than a steam drill at the cost of his own life? One of the codes at the end of this episode translates to

So they were true to the legend. Kind of dark for a Disney show.

And yeah, the pirate captain was Jim Cummings. I'm pretty sure the leader of Dutch golf balls was Patton Oswalt, but the credits ran by too fast for to catch his name.

18. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I thought so.

The credits say "Patton Oswalt as Franz". I think that was the dutch guy, but I have to rewatch it to confirm.

19. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

It was.

20. ShadowBeast

Breaking through the gate is exactly something Stan would do, and it's not like it's the first time the Pines family has broken into a place, just look at "The Deep End" Stan, Soos, and Mabel all broke into the Gravity Falls Pool, In "The Inconveniencing" Mabel and Dipper joined Wendy and her friends in breaking into an abandoned convenience store, and in Boyz Crazy Stan with Dipper drove through a gate to a road where vehicles weren't allowed.The cheating seems to be mostly Dipper's influence since he really doesn't like Pacifica for her picking on his sister, but hopefully since Mabel and Pacifica's rivalry is cooling down Dipper will less likey go that far again.
    I really hope we get more episodes next month.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014