Talkback - Gravity Falls - "Into the Bunker" [8/4]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Zipp_Rezzeppa, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Zipp_Rezzeppa

Zipp_Rezzeppa No dice, Cowboy!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Season 2 - Episode 2
    Premieres
    Tonight 9:30pm/8:30 Central
    Replay
    Friday 9:00pm/8:00 Central (Disney Channel)

This Week...

Dipper's secret journal pages lead him and the gang to the author's hidden bunker where they find themselves face-to-face with a mysterious figure from Gravity Falls' lore.​

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Getting off from violence

Pretty good episode we see Wendy being a badass and the new monster was a terrifying shapeshifter, also I'm I the only one who thought that the author wrote the book in the 1800s

3. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

4. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

I'm so glad this Dipper/Wendy crush thing can be put to rest now. This new season is already calling the right shots.

That shapeshifting creature had to be one of the genuinely scariest things to come from this show thus far. The fact that Mark Hamill provided the voice did not help whatsoever.

5. The Talon

The Talon New Member

That's the Summerween Trickster. Just go back to the theater if you want to see Groot and the rest of the Guardians again. ;)

The best thing about this episode is that the whole Dipper/Wendy subplot is finally over. I think they're both good characters, but WAY too many episodes revolved around Dipper/Wendy/Robbie last season.

6. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

This is gotta be the best episode of Season 2 and we still starting with this season! I'm glad that the whole Dipper and Wendy is over because personally it wasn't going anywhere and was just annoying how they interrupt the cool mysteries with this puppy love tho i do admit Wendy was great in this episode and shows that she can kick butt which they should have done it in the beginning.

This is how i imaging the gang going thru hidden places like an adventure but really scary adventure. The main villain is a shape shifter with a cool design and how he mimics other people or creatures has he pleased but not only that but also mix them into a more menacing creature as we see his combination of Dipper and Mabel.

What makes it interesting in this villain is that he knows the author and just like Gideon he's obsesses with the book because of the creatures it got inside and will do anything to get it. the fight was just awesome between Wendy and the shape shifter also nice to show who was the really Wendy where the shape shifter thinks he can fool Dipper but failed.

The ending was sweet showing Wendy that she knows that Dipper has a crush on her and she does mention the whole age thing but she does have feelings for him if he was older but it ended well where she and Dipper are still be friends and go for more adventures.

The story of this episode it's an awesome homage to John Carpenter's The Thing by having elements like hidden passages, experiments, the creature escapes and taking form of someone, paranoid and the transformations dear lord those transformations where just amazing that would make John Carpenter proud and speaking of, have you guys noticed the Shape Shifter's appearance looks just like John Carpenter?

And the one doing the voice was none other then freaking MARK HAMILL!!!! Seriously Mark was just great doing the voice of the shape shifter and give it such a creepy way that reminds you of Hamill's past works as the Joker but more frightening.

Speaking off this episode was really but really dark, aside of the transformations of the shape shifter the scene where Dipper finds Wendy (in reality the shape shifter) looks like she was dead and the scene where Dipper hits the faker with the axe was just WOW. But i do believe the most frightening of all was the last thing the shape shifter said to Dipper that really made me chilled to my spine till Soos balances it with the humor which was so funny.

The ending shows a promising thing where they find the Author's old laptop and see if Soss can fix it .

Now here's something i was thinking by watching this episode:

Nah, it happen at the time Stan was younger also remember something happen 30 years ago so the author was still alive in that time.

That's actually the Hide Behind from the shorts.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  7. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Ah, thank you for the correction.

8. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

The end to Dipper x Wendy alone is what made this God - Tier material for me, besides continuing on the right foot like the first episode did.

That, and that shape-shifter... Here's hoping nobody frees him, or Dipper is right -we'll never be able to trust ANYONE ON THIS SHOW ever again! FACT.

OH and that hide behind fella from the shorts... I'm sorry, He does look alarmingly like Groot.

9. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Boisterous Bruja

This episode was very good. If any of you are wondering how I'm watching this despite me repeatedly stating on this forum that I don't have Disney XD, it's because I'm at my parents' house for a few weeks and they have XD. They also have DVR, which makes it much easier to see watch every scene and type these posts.

More zombies? Those creatures are getting overplayed these days.

Give it up, Dipper. Wendy is way out of your league. It's like how Finn was with Princess Bubblegum.

"Dude, you're laying on my bra." "AAAAH!!" You'd think a guy like Dipper would be in heaven in that situation.

Ha, Manly Dan being too big for his cabin was a good one.

Wendy's putting her lumberjack skills to good use. I wonder if she's secretly a werebeaver, but that's what I wonder about every lumberjack.

Secret location found! The mystery gang is gonna get their quest on!

Ooh, a fallout shelter. Of course it reminds me of the vaults from the Fallout games.

Soos, I wouldn't eat old candy. I did that once and it tore my stomach up for days.

"This place is creepy." "Not as creepy as Dipper Internet history." At least she said creepy instead of dirty.

Whoops, locked in the puzzle room.

Nothing like a near death experience to get the adrenaline rushing.

Whoopsie daisy, Mabel found Dipper's love letter to Wendy. She's on a mission to expose him now.

Surpise seven minutes in heaven! Mabel, you slick chick.

Mabel eating raw sugar packets isn't weird. I like to eat dry pasta. Mmmm, crunchy!

Secret secret location found!

Sweet Christmas, there's big creepy crawlies in this abandoned underground lab! It's always something!

Oh just spit it out, boyo. You're only delaying the inevitable.

Oh my crapstain, it's a steampunk cosplayer! He went King Kong on that bug.

That creature is a shapeshifter? Looks like this episode has become John Carpenter's The Thing. Where's Keith David when you need him?

Cute and a light source? Mabel's sweater is the best!

I knew that steampunk guy wasn't the author. Not this early in the season.

Whoa, the steampunk guy is the shapeshifter. Now that I honestly did not see coming. Yeah, the can of beans with his face on it was foreshadowing, but I thought he was just going to be some looney.

Huh, the shapeshifter's true form is the Makron from Quake IV.

Heh, I like Mabel and Soos' Pillsbury Doughboy routine.

Nice, Wendy's badass side is showing. She's starting to remind me of the Tomb Raider reboot.

Aw crap, they screwed up the trap. Wendy got hit hard by that stalagmite.

Dipper finally expresses his love for Wendy over her corpse, which we all know is just the shapeshifter in disguise.

Told ya. The real Wendy's right behind him.

Mirror Match! Here comes the obligatory "figure out the impostor" scene.

And like most "figure out the impostor" scenes, Dipper chooses right and gives the fake Wendy a cut to the gut.

Back from whence you came, foul creature of science! Welcome to the world of refrigerators.

That's some ominous advice the shapeshifter gave before he became a popsicle. This season is going to get weirder and more dangerous, I know it.

"Heh heh, good luck sleeping tonight!" Oh Soos, you lovable goof.

With the adventure over, it's time to get the romance cleared up. Wendy let Dipper off gently. Glad they're still friends. They're much better off that way.

Awesome, Soos snagged an ancient laptop from the bunker. Who knows what useful info resides in that machine?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Too many cryptograms to bother with decoding. Thank you, Wikia!

[​IMG]

11. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I am simply amazed to be saying this so early, but this episode is at least every bit as good as "Scary-oke" was.

The plot we get involving Dipper seeking the author definitely sounds like a very cool and intriguing arc for a series like this to take, and I think all of us got the impression that this will be a season-long thing at the very least. I'm going to avoid talking about this further until later, but now I can say that I'm really interested to see where this could possibly go. And then this episode turns into an equally as engaging horror-esque story involving a shape-shifting monster. I'm not going to act like the idea of this type of creature is the most creative in the world, but the way they handled it with the humor, concepts, and animation certainly was.

Speaking of animation, the one aspect I thought "Scary-oke" was truly lacking in was the character animations, as there were times where the lip sync would go way off and many scenes felt a tad stiff. This is not the case here. There's a lot of movement going on throughout the entire episode, and a wide variety of actions, as well as, again, the shape-shifting creature, all of which definitely make for some of the best animation I've seen in this show - which, although it doesn't reach the levels of MLP or Steven Universe, still puts it well ahead of many other modern cartoons. The colors are once again extremely effective and pure eye candy, but the backgrounds have been significantly upped so at least most of those look really nice as well. It helps that the episode always gives us something different to look at, allowing for a huge variety of both.

As for the character development, this episode is full of it. Dipper's "relationship" with Wendy finally comes full circle here in an extremely satisfying conclusion, Mabel learns to be less pushy around Dipper, and Wendy proved herself to be a far more awesome character now than she was in season 1. And those are just the major points; I'm almost certain there are some minor ones I missed as well.

I noticed this episode put a greater emphasis on the intrigue, mystery, and thrill than the other episodes did. Also, there's not nearly as many jokes here as the last one, but when the humor is there, most of them do get a laugh out of me. And I'd much rather have a few great jokes than about 100 lesser ones. And, honestly, I'm all for them taking a more story-based turn with this season, provided they don't go too far.

Do I have any nitpicks whatsoever? Only one. I think maybe they hammer in Dipper's hesitation a little too much, but at least it's not constant overload so it's still very much tolerable.

Bottom line, stupendous episode overall. I am so going to love the rest of this season, I can already tell.

12. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

So there one thing I learn from this episode and "Scary-oke" is that censorship guy must have fallen sleep. The stuff they got away with. sheesh. As for the episode it awesome from beginning to end. That shape shifter was scary as Hell. When he turn in hybrid of Dipper and Mabel that was really disturbing. Anyway great episode.

13. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem New Member

Cohorts,

great episode but i felt dippers crush on wendy should have been resolved much earlier in season one. no reason to prolong something if your not going to go anywhere with it.

i actually thought that guy was the author so it came as quite the surprise when he turned out to be the shapshifter.

14. ILuvToons

ILuvToons Radioactive rubber pants!!!

Great episode again! I seriously thought that guy was the real author or just a maniac. Glad the whole Dipper x Wendy thing is over. Now they can focus more on the action/adventure aspect.

15. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Wow I'm surprised that there is so much hate towards Dipper X Wendy.Personally I havd no problem with the pairing since their ages are only three years apart but we should've gotten more Wendy being awesome episodes to balance Dipper's attempts for her in the first season.I'm glad that Wendy let him down so nicely especially when she pointed that "she's" too old for him, though Dipper could try again with Wendy in a couple of years if he or Wendy are still available and when he'll be taller, because it seems like Dipper's height is one of his biggest drawbacks for his chances, and anyone who's relieved that the coupling thing with Dipper/Wendy is done doesn't mean Dipper won't find another girl this or next season.Now as for this episode, this would have to be my favorite Wendy episode so far, she's shown so much bravery and skills through out the episode, and I liked her "Bra" comment at the beginning^^The story just keeps getting better and better and the Shapeshifter made for a truly vicious villain, his appearance was a unexpected surprise since none of us knew what the Author looks like and his message to Dipper at the end tells me that he knows what's in store for Dipper if he keeps digging for answers. Another funny line was of course Soos's after the Shapeshifter froze which was also messed up. I hope Wendy joins in more mysteries because she's really shown what she's made of here.This is only the second episode and we've already had big surprises from other characters with Stan in Scary-Oke and now Wendy in this episode, now will we get a three-fer next episode with Pacifica?

16. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Boisterous Bruja

Personally I didn't mind Dipper's love for Wendy that much, but I thought Wendy was out of Dipper's league. Judging by some of the posts here, I think people didn't like the pairing because it took focus away from the action and adventure. I can understand that. Dipper constantly trying to win Wendy over and her not reciprocating was getting old. It's best they stay friends for now.

17. dannybosa

dannybosa Duelist

I think this was a great episode. It was unpredictable. I didn't know there was gonna be a shape shifting monster or Dipper telling Wendy about his crush.

18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I could be wrong but did the Shape Shifter call the author of the journals a "six-fingered nerd"?

19. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Yes he did. They shown signs that the author has one extra finger.

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I thought he meant he has only six fingers as in he lost four of them. Or did he mean six on each hand?