TALKBACK - Clarence - "Fun Dungeon Face Off" / "A Pretty Great Day With a Girl" - [4/14]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by {Shadow}, Apr 14, 2014.

1. {Shadow}

{Shadow} Toonami - Saturdays 12:00-3:30am!

[​IMG]

Episodes 001 & 002 - [​IMG] - Number 101

Fun Dungeon Face Off / A Pretty Great Day With a Girl
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 7:00p/6:00c
    repeats
    [see schedule]

Tonight...
    Fun Dungeon Face Off: Jeff must overcome his germ phobias when Clarence and Sumo steal his french fries.
    A Pretty Great Day With a Girl: Clarence bonds with a girl down the street over a hunt for a monster-sized rock.​

2. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Fiery Felon

Am I the only one who thinks Clarence in that pic up there looks like a Garbage Pail Kid?

Back on topic, these two episodes were good. I'm definitely going to remember to watch this series.

I said it before and I'll say it again: If I learned something, it's that if you take Jeff's fries, he'll go all Lou Ferrigno on you.

I like Sumo's voice. He sounds like a young Popeye.

Ah, how I love drinking from the garden hose. Water from it tastes so fresh.

Whoa, sneaky butt shot! Caught me off guard.

That pinecone war reminded me of the dirt clod fights me and my brother used to have. We didn't get hurt, just very dirty.

3. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

Something tells me I'll be sticking around for this one - just do overdo the gross - out humor and we should be in business.

4. army128

army128 New Member

I don't know what to think of the show. Aside from that sudden divorce talk for 5 seconds, it definitely feels like a pure kids show about kids doing dumb kid stuff. No conflict, no seriousness, no politics, no supernatural beings like in RS, Sanjay and Craig and Gumball. Just real-life childhood.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Didn't like "A Pretty Great Day With a Girl" as much as Fun Dungeon, but I did like seeing all the characters just play around and act like kids. I like how "normal" this show is. It's really living up to my expectations.

6. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Sadism!!!!!

Both episodes are great/funny, Clarence is so my next favorite great new series after Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe, and a nice change of pace for the show to be "normal" with no conflict, no seriousness, no supernatural stuff, and no politics agreeing with army128, just kids having fun,

The highlights:
    Clarence is a great funny likable major protagonist after Uncle Grandpa/Steven Universe, while Mary(Clarence's mom), Chad(looking like an ape-like Greg Universe, hahahaha), Sumo(with a shaved head, hehehe), and Jeff are great funny likable supporting characters.
    I like the bizarre/freaky character designs along with the no ears on Clarence/Jeff and other characters.
    Sumo is an enjoyable funny weird kid with an awesome Young Popeye/Zorak/Mary Jenkins voice:D, Tom Kenny did him awesome after Jason Marsden.
    I can relate to Jeff on having germ phobias.
    Clarence taking his french fries to mess with Jeff was funny.
    Jeff going psycho on Clarence was pretty scary/funny, hahahaha.
    Clarence accidently got a little girl's shoes, hahahahahaha.

Amy is cute/great/likable and a sweet love interest for Clarence.
    Clarence/Amy's chemistry/friendship was sweet.
    Poor Amy going to move about of her parents' divorce.
    I like Belson who's a great bully/jerkhole/antagonist of the series.
    The kid Dustin looks like Tintin.
    Belson thinking Clarence/Amy are dating was funny, he's so jealous, hehehe.
    The pinecone war with Clarence/Amy vs. Belson/his friends was fun/enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  7. Tbridge44

Tbridge44 New Member

Loved It! 10/10 as far as debuts go (and debuts aren't usually as good as the main series, so maybe things will get even better)

A pure slice of life with an endearing main character. So many shows forget that just because a character is goofy doesn't mean they have to be obnoxious.
    I loved the talk about "making out" because it felt so normal and well-paced humor.

I'll be more detailed later, but I loved this debut.

8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Atom Ant... Man

I liked these episodes. Nothing spectacular but they were pretty fun. The characters seem likeable enough and the plots are pretty neat - probably the most realistic cartoon in a while. I'll probably keep watching it, at least for a while.

Both segments were pretty much equal, but I guess the second one was my favorite. I liked Amy and how their adventure played out. I could have done without the running gag of Clarence having to pee, though.

9. Wi-fi Calcium

Wi-fi Calcium New Member

These were pretty good. I got to say Clarence is probably my new favorite show on CN.
    *Clarence putting his shoes in the cubby and then he put on a fresh pair. XD I guess he though it was like the shoe store.
    *Sumo playing with the girl toy brought some laughs. "I don' wanna go on the farm I wanna go to the city"
    *Jeff's crazy rampage was one of the best parts.
    *The scene where Jeff apologizes to Clarence for stealing his fries. It's cute and it brought great feels. Sumo eats the fries Clarence drops in the tube tee hee(The little things like that I like)

The second episode wasn't as funny, but it was worth it seeing Clarence and Amy's friendship and it develop on Clarence's kindheartedness.
    *Some relatable childhood play with the waterhose
    *That's a lot of sandwiches for that journey. haha.
    *Everyone in Aberdale says hi 'except the cat' XD
    *It was cool Clarence and Amy bonding on the rock. They weren't into the kind of boyfriend/girlfriend relationship Belson thought he was in.
    *Belson couldn't hide that he was jealous of their friendship and had a crush on Amy.
    *The ending felt great. Clarence shares his sandwiches with Belson and the gang, after they drove themselves tired trying to fight him.

10. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Gotta say this was a good series premier. I can actually identify with the characters when you where like them as a kid. Many liked the first episode and it's good but my fav is the 2nd one. I like that Clarence was acting normal with Amy and be himself where we have seen many boy characters act nervous or act cool with a girl which is really annoying and glad with Clarence broke that circle. Surprising is when Amy mention she might move because of her parents divorcing which was one of those wow moments and i give the guys behind the show credit for going that road, also nice that Clarence was cheering up Amy without trying to since he does seem to cheer everyone even if it's not his intention because that's how he acts and the ending was nice where Clarence share his sandwiches with the other guys.

I do laugh when Sumo shows up and having a Popeye voice(thanx to the talented Tom Kenny). Overall the show was good with likeable characters and you can see they can come up with a good story without exaggerating it making it realistic as possible but enjoyable at the same time.

11. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

great episode, I already saw the first half when CN released it on their youtube page, so I'll go right for the part two

the big kid is a shipper
    one of the other kids looks like Tintin

I love how Clarence acts like an actual kid
    too often kids in cartoons act like teenagers (and teenagers like young adults), so it was really nice to see someone being able to pull it off this naturally

12. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 Playing it Cool, bro!

i have to admit i quite enjoy Clarence and Steven Universe more then Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa
    i liked the First episode remind me when i was little and always go play on the playground at Dairy Queen or McDonald Sumo is already becoming my fav character in the show, i like Clarence and jeff as well but sumo is an more interested character then they are to me
    the second episode was good belson is in love with amy? wonder what gonna happen in the future episodes of him liking her, still quite what know who clarence dating in the future episode i would not be surprise if that was amy or someone eles that clarence's love interested

13. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Yeah, pre-order that's a good idea!

This series is off to a good start so far, and Jeff somewhat reminds me of myself when I was younger :D

14. Just an old VCR

Just an old VCR The boss!

Pretty good so far. Pretty good. If you've watched the SpongeBob episode "Chocolate with Nuts" where they go selling chocolate bars Sumo sounds like the old lady thing in the wheelchair. I'm not a huge fan on Clarence's voice. Both of the episodes were equally good. I think the part at the end of Fun Dungeon Face Off where Sumo's singing about his pig toy was kind of unnecessary. Besides that I really like it. I like how CN are trying to make their shows a lot like the older shows from the mid 00's. (FHFIF, Camp Lazlo, EEnE etc) It reminds me of when I was 5 or 6 and how I used to always go to the park around the corner from our house and how we used to go to McDonalds and hang out at the playground there. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go wallow about how life isn't as good and how I'm not a little kid anymore.

15. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

You are officially now one of us.

16. ZoddGuts

ZoddGuts New Member

Really liked it. Love how down to earth the show felt and didn't go for a surreal feel to it like most other shows based on kid characters than to go for. So far I'm liking Clarence character, based on his design he may look like he'll annoy you but he really doesn't thankfully. Also glad they didn't do gross humor, Clarence dirty hands didn't really look all that gross at least compare to stuff that Sanjay & Craig would show, which was one of the reasons I dropped Sanjay. Overall pretty good start. Oh and great that it did 2.2 Million for it's first 2 eps.

17. Cookiefication

Cookiefication ¯\(º_o)/¯

I've been waiting for this series to premiere ever since the pilot was posted online, and I enjoyed it just as much as I hoped I would. "Fun Dungeon Face Off" was the better and funnier of the two, but I still liked both of them.

Also, did anybody else get a Hey Arnold! vibe from the second short?

18. Just an old VCR

Just an old VCR The boss!

Thank you :D

19. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

It does but just being down to earth, Clarence is a bit more enjoyable then Hey Arnold since there where moments that you go "sigh" on that show.

What i like about this show and make the live action shows of Nick and Disney look bad is that this how people act even if it get silly sometimes it's not that exaggerated and identify with the characters unlike the live action shows(Jessie and Liv and Maddie, looking at you) how they exaggerate their shows of being silly, the parents acting like idiots not to mention the kids and brothers being annoying and doing pointless and impossible things unlike Clarence where it's more believable of how kids act.

20. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

This episode is currently free to download on iTunes, BTW.

It was a nice touch when the dramatic orchestra music kicked in during the ball room chase.