TALKBACK - Clarence - "Dream Boat" - [7/31]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by {Shadow}, Jul 31, 2014.

1. {Shadow}

{Shadow} Toonami - Saturdays 12:00-3:30am!

[​IMG]

Episode 015 - [​IMG] - Number 108A

Dream Boat
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 6:45 PM
    repeats
    [see schedule]

This week...
    Sumo builds a boat, surprising everyone in his life.​

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Getting off from violence

Ill say it once and Ill say it again Sumo is my favorite characters on this show

3. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Fiery Felon

This episode was pretty decent. Nice to have the focus on Sumo. My favorite part was them using Jeff's head to trace a square. Looks like his noggin has more than one use.

4. AhmedtheHead

AhmedtheHead New Member

Another great episode that channels a young imagination. It was nice to see Sumo's family again, especially all in one trailer.
    Numerous funny moments (Clarence talking to Santa had me in hysterics) and background gags.

Sumo building a boat reminded me of the times I created things with Legos, or a fake shrink ray (I'm a fan of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids).

Anyway, the show is on a roll and, once again, I think Mark Banker should be the show runner. His episodes are my favorites.

5. Nexonius

Nexonius Formerly John Dorian

Mark Banker's not on the show anymore after this season, since he's on Be Cool, Scooby Doo!

6. PapaGreg

Damn shame, he was a pretty good writer

7. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

So I can assume this show is going to take a major hit in writing quality, then... Oh, lord.

8. PapaGreg

Dude will you have some faith once, I personally think the writers are gonna pick up the slack since there are a lot of quality episodes that Mark didn't write

9. The ShopSoldier

Here's hoping they do - because I want this show to shine going forward from here, just as much as I'm sure you do as well.

Follow up - EDIT (11:30 AM) Now, The Episode itself:

Definitely the best premiere I've seen for this week - especially if you can tolerate, or better yet, like or even love Sumo as a character so far - seriously, for his first focus episode, this was really heartwarming while down to earth in its subject matter about being part of a huge family where one only gets so much respect or affect from anyone besides their parental figures, especially with how it ended.

I just wish the guy who did a great job writing this wasn't leaving. I don't know how they're going to top this if Sumo gets another focus episode, for example. Here's hoping they can continue to bring their A - game going forward without him.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  10. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

This was a wonderful character focus episode, definitely gave Sumo an extra dimension

also, he has the eating habits of Matoi Ryoko

11. AhmedtheHead

AhmedtheHead New Member

That sucks. I hope the writing staff learns from his work. Then again ... aside from Spencer, who else is on the writing team? Patrick Harpin left, Skyler didn't seem to write jack squat, who else is there?

12. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

This is probably the most down to earth episode of Clarence. Who would thought that aside of having little brothers and sisters, Sumo also has 2 big brothers, that's alot of family. Sumo's Dad was very strict in this episode but at the ending really shows that he does care about his son and what he's doing which really appreciate the father and son moment.

Now we get an idea of why Sumo's acting all crazy and taking risk, to be notice and it's reasonable while having brothers and sisters but especially big brothers he doesn't get the attention he wants to get from his dad.

Also nice to show that Sumo does get mad at Clarence again a nice development where you usually get the crazy one doing everything the main character ask him to do, really fleshes out Sumo's character.

13. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

I liked this episode. Adds some dimension to Sumo's background. I didn't really get the first episode where he cut off his hair, but living with a family like that can make a person crazy.

Sumo's dad looked mean at first, but at the end he showed that he cares. I guess it would be tough to give one child attention in a household with several.

14. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Compatriots,

another great episode. they usually portray family households as being middle class or upper middle in children's shows so its refreshing for them to show that's not always the case with everyone. loved tom kennys delivery when sumo was reading off the questions on that sheet and the scene with the kids lifting up the old bed with all those bugs underneath was gross but funny.

15. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

Aww, poor Sumo. He just wanted a little recognition.

I'm amazed by how much this show has been developing its characters lately. It's certainly more than one would assume.

16. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

there is certainly allot of effort put into the writing

17. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 Playing it Cool, bro!

this episode is pretty decent
    i been wondering who does the animation for clarece it has some hey arnold reference in the show, like the horn episode

18. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

This was a wonderful episode. I thought it was awesome how they gave Sumo some depth. Plus, I enjoyed how they made the father strict, but caring. I also wanted to point out one minor thing: When Sumo yells at Clarence to leave him alone, Clarence actually leaves him alone. Maybe it's a minor detail, but in today's cartoons, so often have I seen people trying to accomplish something and yet being bugged persistently by the main character (cough*Spongebob*cough).

One of the funniest parts for me was the bedroom scene. First off, I don't know why, but I found it a little hilarious that Sumo's two older brothers wore tighty-whities instead of boxers. Not saying that either choice of underwear is better or worse, but it was a sight gag I found funny. Then, there was the slight innuendo of Sumo's brother wanting to see something "cool" in Sumo's magazine.

Overall, top-notch episode. Hope there are more to come.

19. The ShopSoldier

[MENTION=58291]Trombone77[/MENTION] - What you pointed out in your 3rd & 4th sentences - is why shows like Spongebob are failing now, just like said show itself. Nobody wants to see that kind of trash anymore. I think that's a good thing writers and showmakers alike need to learn, period.

20. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

SpongeBob is failing?

Since when?