TALKBACK - Adventure Time - "Wake Up" / "Escape From the Citadel" - [4/21]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by {Shadow}, Apr 21, 2014.

1. {Shadow}

{Shadow} #WatchToonami - Saturdays 12:00-3:30am!

[​IMG]

Episodes 157 & 158 - [​IMG] - Number 601

Wake Up / Escape From the Citadel
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 6p/5c
    repeats
    [see schedule]

This week...
    Wake Up: Finn and Jake must commit a cosmic crime in order to find Finn's father.
    Escape From the Citadel: Finn and Jake follow the Lich to the Citadel.​

2. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

Oh my.... PRISMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Yo.... Finn's Dad is a bum!

Wha...... wha.... what.....? Wait, wait, wait!! Wait a minute! What happened?! Was Tree Trunks about to say she wanted a divorce?!

3. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Browns!

This two parter was good, especially the second half. My heart was actually racing near the end.

Hey, the Party God is alive. The Lich in the corner looking defeated got a laugh out of me. Good thing he's powerless in Prismo's room.

Finn's pretty spaced out knowing that his dad's alive.

Clever move, having Shelby wish for Finn and Jake. Too bad he screwed it up.

Light-based weapons? As the old saying goes, light makes might. And Finn must feel pretty mighty fighting those living shadows.

Interesting, Prismo's true form is an old man. How selfless of him to give up his all powerful form so Finn and Jake can go to the Citadel.

Oh crap, the Lich is alert and murdered Old Man Prismo! Something tells me he's planning on killing Finn's dad as well.

So that's what Finn's dad looks like. He looks a bit like Farmworld Finn's father.

So the Lich's plan is to jailbreak the Citadel's prisoners and unleash them on the multiverse.

Finn's dad is pretty nonchalant about having a son.

Whoa, Finn's dad got his leg skeletonized! That caught me off guard. So did his name being Martin.

The leg regenerating was some visceral stuff.

Man, Martin is a jerk. He certainly didn't have a good reasoning for abandoning Finn.

Holy crap, is that the Lich's true form? He looks like something out of Doom.

How cool is that? That healing glop is not only weakening the Lich, but it's making him flesh and blood as well.

Whoa ho ho ho! The leaf blade completely took over Finn's arm and then he got it torn off! The prophecy has been fulfilled! :eek:

Huh, the Lich has been reborn as a baby. And it looks like Tree Trunks and Mr. Pig are going to raise him.

This episode sure has a lot of unexpected stuff. Not a bad start to the season. I wonder what the fallout is going to be like next episode.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Okay this was a disappointing episode partically Finn's father and the way the Lich is finally defeated.

5. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

I don't think that was finn's dad at lease I hope not
    and WHOA:eek: FINN LOSE HIS ARM

6. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

You will have to explain why. This was a incredible season opener and has me excited for the rest of the season now.

7. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Wake Up - When ranking episodes of particularly good shows, I seem to pick favorites based on epitomizing everything that makes the series great. This comes pretty darn close to that, throwing in plenty of great humor, creativity, and character moments (particularly with Prismo - I never thought I'd see him again BTW). I can't think of many things that even could be wrong with this first half. Everything I feel was balanced perfectly, not once over-saturating the emotion and threw in more lighthearted stuff to keep the scale in order, along with letting every scene take just as much time as they need. Probably one of my favorites in the whole series.

Escape from the Citadel - I really want to love the second half just as well, and there are some things I really like about it, namely the visuals as a whole and the overall drama involved, and the defeat of the Lich was pretty creative too. But I really don't understand half of the stuff they threw at us here. So, Finn's dad is a huge traitor? I mean, given that he did end up in such a prison, I guess him being a worse role model than expected is understandable, but that's a pretty underwhelming reveal if you ask me, even if Finn is rightfully mad at this. And then you have the restoration cream or whatever it was... sprout a flower out of Finn's arm? And then a train from the Candy Kingdom just happens to be there as a convenient exit for the two? ...Huh? Yeah, half of these twists flat out make no sense to me, and definitely hamper some of my enjoyment of this own. But the positives I mentioned earlier keep me from declaring this bad.

You can definitely say I liked this two-parter as a whole, but obviously I find the first half far superior. All I can say at this point is, let's see where this season will take us.

8. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

The buildup to this special made even a non-fan like myself tune in. I was quite surprised at this whole thing, and very pleased. The muscle regenerating stuff WAS a bit disturbing though.
    I have a hunch that Martin wasn't Finn's Dad, but knowing this show, they probably won't discuss this until much later on. It'll be nice to see how Finn adapts to his missing arm.

9. The Talon

The Talon New Member

For those wondering, the story of Finn meeting Martin isn't just going to be ignored like previous plot developments. This plot is actually going to last for about the next six episodes of this season.

10. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Active Member

Shoko lost her arm because her parents were uncaring, Finn lost his arm because his Dad was uncaring kind of figured that would happen.

11. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

very good episode this season
    i was not expecting him be finn's dad at first i thought the Litch was when he turn back to human oh well still a good episode

12. Monte

Monte Active Member

The spiky headed wizard thing was opening up random portals to fight off the guardians; he opened a portal to the candy kingdom so he could hit of them with the train.

13. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    I really that WASN'T Finn's dad - that man was a deadbeat who cost a brave lad his arm, which I knew was inevitable, but come on!

At least the Lich has finally been dealt with... Here's hoping he'll grow up right.

Yeah - despite some disappointment, I'm still here.

14. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Sorry but turning one of the most dangerous villains into a baby was just dumb.And I don't see why Billy would tell Finn that his dad is alive if he's so rotten.

15. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    We can only hope that wasn't his dad for real... Otherwise I can see this going down as a really bad episode to some fans (not me, I'm not counting myself in this situation...).

16. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

Lich as a baby obviously will be a huge plot point throughout the season, there is no way this is the very end of his storyline. And Billy would just not tell Finn he has a father if his father is "rotten"? I would like to know my father is a deadbeat than not know anything about him at all.

Both of these are just nitpicks either way, so I don't see how that made the finale a disappointment.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Me too, this has to be the most exciting two episodes I've ever seen. Now I have to tune in to see future episodes!

18. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this two-parter

There's a little plot-hole here tho
    In the season 5 finale, it was said that Jake was in denial about Billy's death
    Here we however see that Jake regularly saw the Lich wearing Billy over at Prismo's

This was probably the goriest the series has gone, with Prismo's death, Martin's leg, Finn's arm, and the whole regeneration sequences.

And you know, there seems to be stuff wrapping-up.
    Two of the show's major villains, The Lich and Lemongrab, were taken out, and with the Fire King being locked-up, that leaves us only with Magic Man roaming around
    At this point, we only have the zombies from the end of James to deal with before being able to wrap the series up.

I'm sure Martin and the other supervillains (because let's face it, that's basically what they are) being freed will probably be dealt with in the future, but at this point, most of the plot-threads were resolved

Also, em I the only one who likes the idea of Finn's father being a complete monster? (he had to be one to get locked-up there)
    Especially compared to how he was in the Farmworld?
    It's a beautiful bit of irony.

19. Monte

Monte Active Member

I kinda of like the idea of Finn's dad being a jerk; provides some conflict for him. Also if he was a big hero that might just make him feel like Billy 2.0
    Another note i thought was interesting was how he was looking for a "star skipper". Sounds like humanity might have left earth for the stars

20. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Man, that episode was epic. Every moment, from Prismo death to Finn losing his arm, was unexpected. Speaking of Finn, jeez he ended up losing his right arm just like the other versions of him. I hope PB makes him a cyborg arm. Anyway great episode.