TALKBACK - Adventure Time - "Joshua & Margaret Investigations" - [8/14]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by {Shadow}, Aug 14, 2014.

1. {Shadow}

{Shadow} #WatchToonami - Saturdays 12:00-3:30am!

[​IMG]

Episode 172 - [​IMG] - Number 608B

Josh & Margaret
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 7:00 PM
    repeats
    [see schedule]

This week...
    A menace is hunted in the woods by Finn and Jake's parents.​

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

You know this actual explains a lot really, Jake isn't a normal( by this world logic) dog because not only does he have powers but he has an extended life span

3. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

I think I liked the Jake getting his powers from a radiation puddle better.Adventure Time seems to be getting weirder and weirder, and the writers can't use the mushroom war as an excuse for all of it.

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Okay can't really complain this time around on the whole "Finn and Jake shouldn't of been in this episode just to make a cameo" as yeah it was important for them, especially Jake to be in this one. I do have to say that though I was speculating it seeing the creature transform around, the actual thing that was on Joshua's forehead being detoxified... did not see that what Jake was. Or that is indeed the actual reason he has his powers, which has been something of kind of a debate. Since though it's been shown certain magical creatures have super special powers from birth, we actually have seen Joshua and Margret before and even other members of Jake's family and they never seemingly had powers. Plus even Jake's ask or been asked where his abilities come from so yeah, interesting to actually finally get an answer for that. I like how they did it too since you would only really suspect if you saw the thing shifitng shapes and thought "wait Jake can change form and this is about his parents. Could this thing have something to do with it?" But actually by far the best moment for me wasn't the birth: it was the reveal of the little Jake doing "hello mommy hello daddy" song before falling to sleep. That seriously made me LOL seeing him go like that. And also really good ending conversation with apparently Jake doesn't know the story even though he's supposedly been telling it for like 10 minutes. Real comedy there.

In general though this was an incredibly solid episode. I think my only minor complaints was perhaps a bit too much Tree Trunks (like maybe a line or two too much) and I do think Joshua should of put up more of a fight when that creature grabbed him. Still really solid throughout. I enjoyed seeing more of the parents and what they do and despite Joshua still coming across as a jerk and a wisecracker actually caring for Margret and her being the one to push to go on more investigations. Nice twist you don't normally see with a story of pregnant wife who still tries being active and still for the most part proofs it. And lots of good jokes too: Finn and BMO cheering Jake for just eating his cake, the Marceline and Flame Princess references on the ticker tape (I assume that was them anyway), the husband just wanting all the pie he can eat and doesn't want to be told when to stop, Joshua wanting to off himself right away when infected, "you have to say over otherwise I don't know when you've stopped talking over" (that's another one of those "jokes shouldn't work for me as I've seen it so many times before" but it's done in such a way it does), Margaret seeing the baby creature and knocking it out to get the sample and the two saying one gave birth to one kid, and one gave birth to the other. So yeah a lot more interesting episode then I thought it would be as it explained something I never thought we'd see in the show. And though honestly I just kind of liked Jake just... having powers without it being explained, seeing where they came from in this case works well.

5. PapaGreg

Wait how is the mushroom war an excuse

6. ShadowBeast

The mushroom war was the reason for a lot of the mutations, but it seems a lot of the other weirdness is far beyond what radiation can do.
    But "excuse" is a bit strong for what I meant to say.

7. PapaGreg

Then again I always thought that the Mushroom war was a mix of magic and radiation

8. ShadowBeast

I've always thought that the mushroom war caused hidden magic.to be released.

9. Conor M.

Conor M. Member

I assumed the episode would end with some sort of reveal, but...not to that extent. That was hilarious.

Also, liked the '40s detective lingo that was present throughout.

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

So that's why Jake has stretchy powers. Neat!
    I'm glad I got I cable back so I can always tune in. Some episodes really tend to surprise me in a good way.

11. Gatordragon

Gatordragon This ain't no Kong!

This episode was good. Nice to have focus on Jake's posthumous parents. They have such great old timey voices.

I'm loving that title card. So mysterious and creepy.

Happy Birthday, Jake! If every season counts as a year you were twenty-eight in season 1, then I think you're thirty-three now.

I wish I could shovel down that much food in one bite.

Ooh, a prequel in the form of a flashback. Not a bad framing device.

Cute, Margaret's looks ready to pop.

Is that a crossbow that reloads itself? I want one of those.

It makes sense for Joshua to be protective of Margaret. She's his wife and she's got a baby on the way.

Listen to them talk. They sound like they're from the 1930s.

The best thing about prequels is the references to future events. Joshua reads about a sighting of a vampire girl and a fire creature burning down a candy forest? If you've been following this show, then it's clear what those are references to.

Sorry, Margaret. Your husband is putting you on easy street for now.

Hello, sweet Tree Trunks. Looking the same as ever, I see.

Well now we know why Tree Trunks and Wyatt got divorced. Heh, using pies as a sexual metaphor.

Case closed, but there's still a monster lurking about.

You can't keep a good woman down, Joshua. Margaret is hot on the trail.

That's a creepy owl, but not as creepy as the Screecher.

That cat also has the same face and color. Coincidence?

There's the beast and it's obvious that it was the owl and cat.

Oops, Margaret forgot that she's not as slim as she used to be.

Uh oh, looks like the beast wants some of that pregnant dog. Joshua to the rescue!

Nice stab, Margaret. The beast is bleeding Predator blood.

Oh no, Joshua's been injured! I wonder what will happen to him in this flashback. Oh that's right, he lives. That's the downside of prequels: you already know who lives and dies.

"This is all my fault!" "Yeah, pretty much." Dang, Joshua. Why you gotta be so brutally honest?

Heh, Joshua's pretty savvy about horror stuff. Doesn't even think twice about wanting his wife to off him before the bite alters him. Fortunately, Margaret finds a better solution.

Oh boy, Margaret is gearing up for the showdown. Topping it off with her signature flower hat.

Uh oh, the baby's getting restless. Better hurry, Margaret.

Neat, the beasts lair is a pre-war store shaped like a Greek temple. Very Fallout-esque.

That's a very blue welt pulsating from Joshua's head. I can only imagine the pain he's going through.

Now you're just showing off, beast. This is starting to remind me of the Gravity Falls episode, "Into the Bunker".

Oh not cool, beast. Hitting a pregnant lady's belly is the lowest of the low.

For all your showing off, beast, you went like a wimp.

The beast is a baby? Yeah I'm not buying it one bit. This is a ploy, I know it.

Hoo, Margaret shows that she's willing to punch a baby beast for the sake of her husband!

Yep, told ya the beast was faking it. Looks like this was all according to his plan. Also, he appears to be an alien or something.

Dang, the baby is pushing through the belly! Reminds me of a scene from Dawn of the Dead.

This has horror movie written all over it. The trashed house, the creepy music, and Joshua's in a corner with his back turned.

Whoa, Margaret's going into labor. And it's making her do some howler monkey calls.

A double whammy. Joshua's welt is going to burst and Margaret's about to give birth. What's going to happen first?

Pop goes the welt! And out comes... Jake? I like the the Spaceballs reference with him singing and dancing right after being born.

Look at Joshua and Margaret all slack jawed. Honestly, that would be pretty much anyone's reaction to a baby bursting out a man's head.

And we skip Margaret giving birth on the spot because nobody wants to see that.

Oh that's not a bad scar, Joshua. It is a good reason to wear a nice hat, though.

And that's why Jake doesn't know where his powers come from. Joshua and Margaret kept that secret to the grave.

Overall I enjoyed this episode a lot. Jake being half alien explains everything about his powers. Also with this stuff about aliens and other dimensions, it's pretty clear that not all the weirdness in the land of Ooo is the result of the Great Mushroom War. With Adventure Time going on hiatus for a bit, this was a nice episode to end the current run on.

12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Atom Ant... Man Staff Member

Pretty good episode. Joshua and Margaret were good characters and their adventure here was neat. I liked how it played more like a detective story, at least in the beginning. The fight with the monster was pretty cool. The explanation for Jake's birth and his powers was pretty surprising and I liked how the episode made it look as if he was telling the story, when in fact he has no idea of what actually happened.

13. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

So Jake is basically a dog/alien hybrid, I wonder if it comes back to bite them some day

also, is it me, or did the monster look like one of the Cosmic Criminals from the Citadel

14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Hmmm well

so there's that.

Also when thinking about this episode and the fact they played "Memories Of Boom Boom Mountain" right after it, I think this explains the reason why Margaret was so eager to adopt Finn just seeing him in the forest: she obviously felt bad about beating up the baby that attacked Joshua and not being able to help it so probably didn't ever want another baby to go through that. In a way a bit like the opening of the Disney Tarzan movie.... minus Margaret's actual kid dying... and a Phil Collins song beating the point to death.

I also kind of want to say I think Margaret here has more of a character the main female character Margaret of Regular Show but that wouldn't be fair. Though it would be fair to say she has more of a one then the entire season one Margaret of RS at least.

15. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

this one was pretty good episode, i hope jake tells story on how they got finn (ya the older episode had finn remember about it) but i would love see how Finn was born and abit more history of Jake's Parents Finding him

16. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

remember, we still don't know who Finn's mother was
    (well ok, we got to see an alternate universe version of her, but seeing how different the Martins of the two worlds were, she'd probably be allot more different from her Farmworld self as well)

17. Gatordragon

Gatordragon This ain't no Kong!

18. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

Love how much effort they put into these tiny details

19. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

that true, i would Love see how they show finn's mom as well

20. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Cohorts,

i was not expecting that ending. jake being able to stretch makes total sense now. i hope that shape shifter creature returns in a future episode and reveals what his/her master plan is.