T.U.F.F. is D.U.N.N.

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Lord Beckett, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

T.U.F.F. is D.U.N.N. - Grey DeLisle confirms Tuff's cancellation

[​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/GreyDeLisle/status/423183679846768641

Grey DeLisle has essentially confirmed what we were already more or less aware of when TUFF Puppy premieres ended up on Nicktoons. It's finished, the thrid season will be its last.

I can still remember being here when this cartoon first hit the airwaves. After the first few news reports and ratings posts, this place was beeming, some were even speculating that this show might take Spongebob's place. Boy did that go wrong. After a season of the same two villains most of the episodes, bad running gags and character stereotypes Hartman uses way to much, and a lack of any sort of continuity arc whatsoever (Something I might speculate is a death knell for any action cartoon nowadays, comedy or not), the ratings for this show dropped into the abyss.

The airing of this cartoon has been an absolute disaster. It never had a consistent time slot. Once ratings began to dip, Nickelodeon panicked, and this show was shelved for such long periods of time that what little interest it built in kids was spirited away by the repetition of its limited reruns.

Yet you can only blame the Nickelodeon execs so much for this one. The real fault falls solely on the lap of its creator. Butch Hartman is looking more and more like a dinosaur in the cartoon industry. His Hanna-Barbera inspired style of writing was already well past its welcome in the 80s, that light hearted slapstick comedy cartoon doesn't work as much because there are so many of them. Gumball, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and others rely on both comedy and having character driven plots that suck the viewer in, some even have stronger continuity than a lot of non-comedy cartoons. Tuff Puppy, and FOP had none of this, any time you thought they were going to delve deeper into a character, the episode abruptly ends and everyone is back to normal/stupid after the commercial break. FOP is able to survive because it has a huge fanbase that was built back when its type of surrealist comedy was more rare, yet TUFF Puppy had no such build up because most viewers simply considered it a version of FOP with animals.

Of course, I'm heavily speculating here. We don't know for sure what happened behind those closed doors at Billionfold Inc. Yet when the ship goes down, it's the skipper who is going to answer the inquiries why, assuming he doesn't go down with it.

So, ladies and gentleman, what do you think went wrong?

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

It seems like as a whole it was just trying to be a goofy slapstick cartoon. I guess the audience was hoping it would be more than that.

3. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

I think the series would've done better if they had Dudley as a spy in training for at least the first season. Another thing is that even near the end of the first season Kitty Katswell was being turned into Dudley's sidekick instead of partner and her skills were dragged down to make Dudley look better.

4. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

There's also the fact that nearly everyone was dumbed down to make Dudley look smart. Keswick, the alleged genius and probably my favorite character on the show, easily being duped by a bad guy they have dealt with before into performing many heists under the guise of starring in movies was really jarring and nearly made my enjoyment of the series go down to almost nil.

It kinda makes me sad to see it go. I actually liked this series. They wasted a lot of potential, IMO.

5. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

I want to believe that this will be what finally teaches Hartman that dumb, loud, idiotic screamers are not ideal main characters.

Unfortunately, for both him and us fans of his cartoons, he will likely be fired and all his cartoons cancelled before he changes his ways.

Butch blew it.

6. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Well no surprise since they way they treated the show lately. Like many we where expecting a little different like he did with Danny Phantom(even tho he still kept the comedy from FOP which wasn't a good idea in my opinion) yet Butch Hartman comes with something we already saw but only 10 times annoying. The idea of having a Get Smart like cartoon was good but the way it was done was a disaster. As Shadowbeast pointed out they would have focus on Dudley training for TUFF also developing a partner relationship between him and Kitty along with other characters like the villains which they really over did it with Snapstrap. What hurt this show the most is how they made their main characters act like idiots and being annoying, they get a cheap laughs and all from the target audience but even they get tired watching the same old routine where Dudley is an idiot, saves everyone from another dumb evil scheme from Snaptrap and end of story.

Now i don't know how this will affect Butch Hartman and Billionfold Inc. tho probably not much since FOP is still around.....especially getting 2 live action movies but hopefully Hartman comes with some sense and try something different where everyone can enjoy it instead of dumb down so kids get a laugh at it.

7. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

you are expecting too much from the man

8. Wi-fi Calcium

Wi-fi Calcium Active Member

I agree about Butch, but I think his writing quality declined in quality since seasons 4 or 5 of FOP. That's when the out of character humor and terrible running gags started. Fairly Odd Baby and Fairly Odd Puppy proved that any continuity the show gets is just for the ratings and so they can add more concepts to make episodes around. Now that I think about it TUFF Puppy was definitely overrated but I did find it more likeable than new FOP and other short-lived Nick shows like Planet Sheen, Fanboy and Chum Chum etc.

9. ShadowBeast

I've noticed that Dudley drives the Tuffmobile most of the time since the first episode. It's all about Dudley and how unlikable he is. I agree the use of Snaptrap all the time was another problem, and the jokes about the criminals telling their evil schemes to the heroes and how they always escaped prison got old quick(though the one where BirdBrain had to wait for the cableguy was a good one). Iit's funny that even Grey Delise who works on Tuff Puppy and pretty much used to work on FOP criticizes Butch Hartman for the show going downhill.

10. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

I feel like T.U.F.F. Puppy's main problem isn't really because the characters are idiots, or how there's no development. The real issue I have is...well, it's just fluff. There's nothing horrible or offensive about it, but there's nothing interesting in it at all, nor is there really anything to offer. All it has been since square one was "Dudley does something stupid, Chief gives them assignment, villain of the week taking over Petropolis, Kitty and Dudley do banter and act stupid, they accidentally win, rinse repeat. In many ways, Puppy also feels essentially it's several years too late. Everything screams not only "FOP with animals" but essentially the mid-2000s when every cartoon was trying to be the next Spongebob.

Nowadays, if you look at the industry, things have changed. In Nick's case, Legend of Korra is trying to create heavy drama with entertaining action all the while in an anime-inspired artstyle, and it's working what with it's massive fandom. TMNT is trying to be a lighthearted, but also at times serious cartoon, and that's in my opinion one of the best cartoons airing today. Even Sanjay and Craig, a show I've lost interest in and not a fan of does at least understand what this generation's kids eat up, and is able to give an okay blend of wit and gross-out, and a lot of people like that show.

But perhaps the worst part is it's done by a group of people who I know have talent. I loved Butch Hartman's work on Johnny Bravo, I really liked Danny Phantom, and while I don't think FOP has not held up well, I can't deny that some episodes, such as Channel Chasers are very strong. And the cast is very strong as well; all of the voice actors have a pretty healthy resume, and Jerry Trainor, who I thought would be obnoxious I believe is actually a great voice actor, and does have a lot of potential out there. But nothing can save this show from becoming a bland, generic spy comedy show with nothing interesting or salvageable. If you like the show, good for you, but sadly, I won't be missing this show, and I'll probably forget it existed the next day.

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi Reporter

I think you guys expect too much of a comedy show. SpongeBob is pretty much fluff as well.

I thought TUFF Puppy was pretty enjoyable. Sort of like an animated version of Get Smart with animals. Sad to see it go.

12. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    A.n.d. G.o.o.d. R.i.d.d.a.n.c.e.

13. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Your move, dth1971.

14. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Me every Thursday

Despite it's F.L.A.W.S., I thought T.U.F.F. Puppy was.......decent, but yeah, I'll have to agree with ShadowBeast, but hey, what would you expect from Hartman and the gang?

15. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

I don't know... effort? A little bit? Decent is a little too good for this show, but I guess when compared to the likes of its premiere-brother Planet Sheen, it looked like a masterpiece at the time it first aired.

As much as we sometimes get overboard deriding Butch here, he's produced quality product in the past. Even during the Poof era, he or his staff occasionally put out a decent FOP episode. His movies usually aren't bad so long as they are traditionally animated and under 2 hours.

This show was an inexcusable mess though. It had no direction, no single plotline to spark interest, it was like a cartoon that didn't want itself to exist, produced by people who were ready to jump ship to the closest boat that passed by. While I can agree that Nickelodeon did a shoddy job marketing this cartoon, when the creator himself is on twitter tweeting "Watch this please and I might bring Danny Phantom back", that just simply means that the product itself is so toxic that even EA wouldn't touch it if they did cartoons, and it simply wasn't working even with kids.

I think one example of how the writing can be infuriating on this show is the question on whether or not Kitty has an evil sister. It was caused when Kitty as arguing with the her mother (Really the Chameleon posing as her) and brought up overachieving sister, whom Kitty pointed out was evil. It would seem like they were setting up a future appearance by this character referenced off screen.... yet nothing became of it. It was just another bad Hartman joke that went nowhere that was interpreted by fans as something that could be canon. So Kitty's evil sister will never appear, unless someone in an interview or twitter gets a hold of Hartman and pesters him enough to remind of her, in which case (were this still making new episodes) he would add in Kitty's sister but still forget she was evil or some other missed detail, Hartman just can't ever do anything right.

16. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Yet there where times that Spongebob had come up with some good episodes and not making it too annoying or stupid to watch but that's my opinion on that.

I can say the show was decent to watch but you would expect Butch to top it up from his previous works instead of recycling the same old stuff from his previous shows.

Lord Beckett, with the animated movies of FOP where good but only the first one and Channel Chasers, the one of School's Out! The Musical i feel that's where they started to become really dull and don't get me started with the FOP/Jimmy Neutron crossovers. Wishology would have been good but they drag it waayyy too much that reminded me of South Park with Imagination Land not to mention the overuse reference/parodies they made on that one.

If the rumors are true that Butch Hartman is working on something for Danny Phantom lets hope he doesn't mess it up if he does but if he still doing FOP but Nick wants a new cartoon he better try to come up with something good.

17. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I wish Butch Hartman did a Fairly Oddparents/TUFF Puppy movie.

18. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 New Member

Very good description.

Overall, TP was simply no more than just a show. No uniqueness, no charm, no connection, no redeeming/ special qualities, and no reasons to watch; just timeslot filler for most of its unimpressive run and now its about to be gone and forgotten even quicker.

The show's absence will be a negligible loss, even more so with the new toons making their way to Nick.

19. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

best joke I've heard today

I do think TP's biggest strength was that it came out at a time when there was nothing good on Nick (except fro Mighty B!), and thus it ended-up looking good by comparison

20. ShadowBeast

I think another problem was that Nick kept showing the same episodes most of the time. With all of the episodes that did air I've only seen a little more then half of them.