1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sylvester & Penny's Possible "Club"

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by PennyCat, May 6, 2001.

1. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

School daze

The bitter irony is, I think the private schools tend to be sneering elitist ivory towers for upper-class twits and the public schools are often violent, overcrowded, impoverished, understaffed, undesirable-filled, urine-soaked hellholes. So either way you lose. I thought it was just the Southern public schools that were so bad, but from what I'm told things are tough all over. Is it any wonder one of my exes was telling me she's considering home-schooling her daughter? :eek:

Hey, do you do fedoras too?

Who are we talking to now, Sybil? Hello in there! ;)

#41 DR. BELCH, May 10, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2001
  2. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

And I help us veer a little further off-topic....

You had urine? My district couldn't afford urine! We had to make do with spit!

I was home schooled myself from fourth grade on. It was a lot easier to learn without the constant pressure from other students to conform. No bullies was nice, too. I was kind of a low maintenance kid, so all Mama and Dad had to do was get the books and I'd be on it. Don't know if your daughter is the same way, but I don't think children need more than the requirement to work a little daily. I sure wouldn't keep a rigid schedule. There's some associations out there, too, though they tend to stress Bible study hardest for some reason.

It is a good alternative to snobs and urine, I can tell you that.

3. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

LOL. It was a Simpsons reference, actually--cf. "Cape Feare", with Sideshow Bob. That's why I liked college so much--it was a better class of folks, more culturally diverse, and they were actually there to learn--most of them. Of course there are a few who still retain a high-school mentality...they're the type who get drunk frequently, who run about the halls at two a.m. waking folks up with their hooting and hollering and cussing fit to be d***ed, and who often relieve themselves on the back stairs.

Well, my concern with home-schooling would be that although Junior is protected from the undesirables, there's the risk of stunting his social growth by not allowing him to associate with his peers. And of course Junior must be motivated to succeed; both parent and child need the proper motivation to carry it out. My brother actually asked my mom to home-school him once, but he was just looking to sleep in all day, loafing in bed and washing his truck. Come to think of it, this scenario was once played out sardonically well on South Park.

Oh, she isn't mine. Her mother and I just dated a few months... though if it hadn't been for the nearly 2000 miles between us and if it had lasted longer, I might have considered making an honest woman of her. :) The girl's father (she always called him "the sp*** donor", never by name) was an abusive piece of chozzerai who beat her up a lot and would have relations with anything having two legs and a few with four. She threw him out, I think, before she even realized she was pregnant. I don't think he's ever even met his little girl, or wants to. She took up with another guy after that; they parted ways but still remained friends. Then she and I had our fling, parted ways, stayed friendly. One day she phoned and told me Guy #2 turned out to be a whack job too. "Girl," I said, "you sure don't have much luck with men, do you?" Last I heard she was engaged, and I hope this one works out. Meantime, I've got a new little niece to dote on--to sort of practice for fatherhood.

Well, you veered us a little off-topic, and I've steered off the paved road, buttonhooked sharply into a cotton field, and driven about three miles towards the swamp. ;)

#43 DR. BELCH, May 10, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2001
  4. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

No! Must... resist urge... to jump in... debate....

Aw, dangit.

Well, I don't know about your school, but my school district was pretty darn good. For example, we only had imported, Perrier urine with a hint of strawberry undertones.

*GONG*

Okay, the real argument. My school was quite fine, actually. It was funded adequately and had a variety of extracurricular/advanced activities to choose from. It was slightly crowded, to be true, but my town was going through a growth spurt at the time.

Personally, when it comes to public vs. private, I think there's not really a way to make sweeping generalizations for either. There are stunning, shining examples of public schools that put many privates to shame, and then there are the pee-pee-soaked heckholes (the preferred term, as Sideshow Bob learned). As far as private schools, there are many that are stellar, but many others that are elitist, teach only religious dogma, or don't quite get the job done in other ways. I don't think one is _inherently_ better than the other, it just depends on where you live.

5. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

Re home schooling: I have a niece who's getting that, and so far it's working out well- she's reading well ahead of her age group. Her folks are concerned about the socialization aspect, so they're also taking her on community field trips with other kids her age.

I myself am living proof, that going to public school doesn't guarantee you'll learn proper social skills.

6. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

Re: Re: The D-word

Gee. :(

Did you get my e-mail?

7. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

Maybe he doesn't even know about his alternate personality. ;)

8. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

Re: Re: Re: The D-word

No, I didn't.

9. Craig Marinaro

Craig Marinaro The Feast of 1,000 Beasts

Well, you're still probably the most socially acceptable person on this Board. Except maybe Narfpinky.

Have I mentioned that Narfpinky is a nice guy?

He really is.

-C
    Official ToonZone Mustache Waxer.

10. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't worry, I'm still here. =)

I didn't run away from TZ.

Anyway, I apologized to Penny and she accepted. The core matter is the context I used. What I said came across as more of a directive instead of a suggestion to just be kidding.

But I had no idea that I made Penny feel uncomfortable about mentioning Disney topics on the BB, and that I made Juan upset and supposedly leave the BB as a result of what I did. That's when I emailed Penny to figure out what was wrong.

And Juan, if you're out there , I'm sorry for whatever hardship I caused.

Now that has been explained, I find this rather amusing:

There's not enough room for another personality.;)

And Craig, Romey, Dick Grayson, thanks. :)

Now, please note: I am having trouble with my only monitor (goes blank for certain duration). Being under warranty, I'm going to have it serviced. I don't know how long it'll take, and not having one connected to your computer makes it rather difficult to use, poit. (I've got my TV hooked up at the moment, that's how I'm doing this). So, I don't know how long I may be gone. Might be a couple of days, might be a couple of weeks. =X

I'll still be 'on-line' for at least tonight.

Wow, rambled on there a bit, narf!

Narfpinky

11. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

12. Matthew Hunter

Matthew Hunter Super Genius

If you ask me, a good name for that would be "Kitty Kartoon Korner", or perhaps "Animation conversation station."
    -Matthew

13. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> Well, you're still probably the most socially acceptable person on this Board.

I second that. World can use more like you SL <

Aww, thanks, guys!

Tho it has to be admitted, my social skills seem to be a lot better in writing than they are face-to-face. What a help, to be able to edit one's words.

JLW
    Official Toon Zone Defender Of Despised Creatures (other than Murdoch)

14. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

Well why not go to a cartoon fest or furry meet most of them are easy going (a few are werid but in a good way) Hey go in a furry suit if you want, it does wonders.