1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sylvester & Penny's Possible "Club"

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by PennyCat, May 6, 2001.

1. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

Re: D*sney

I took the survey. Disney doesn't intrigue me as much as some things, but I'll give it a look.

2. Craig Marinaro

Craig Marinaro The Feast of 1,000 Beasts

The asterisk thing is, as I've said many times before, an a.t.a. thing, and I take full responsibility for it winding up here. But if there's anyone here who hasn't figured this out yet, I'm rarely serious about anything. It seemed like an amusing joke (since this is a WB Board, and D*sney is "the enemy," from a corporate standpoint).

I'm not sure if you're referring to me with the "Juan" incident? I know I got an e-mail from Juan Lara about a year ago complaining about my use of the joke. I tried to explain that it was just a gag, but for a cartoon fan, he didn't seem to have much sense of humor. He did say that he planned to leave the Board, just because of that. No idea how you would've gotten involved, if that's the incident you're referring to though.

But I have no problem with the actual D*sney company. Well, I do, sort of. I mean, I can't stand Eisner. But as SL pointed out, WB has some real slimeballs in charge too. And I dislike most of their recent stuff. But then, I'm not very fond of anything WBA has released recently either.

I adore the old classics done under Walt. I was raised on those, and I still regard them as the best animated works ever to be captured on film. And while I'm of the opinion that the post-Lion King stuff has been hardly worth my time, I did love The Emperor's New Groove. And I've regularly mentioned my affinity for early-90's D*sney shows like Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles. I certainly have no problem with people writing out the full word, should they so desire. This is just my little joke, and anyone who feels like sharing it with me. And I'm pretty sure everyone else here feels the same way.

So don't have a cow. No need to split with the Board over a li'l thing like that. Hang around...we like ya. ;)

-C
    Official ToonZone Lightbulb Changer.

3. batboy2001

batboy2001 Spider Jerusalem

How about Toon In and Talk? A bit corny but what the heck.

4. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

How about "Cartoon-o-rama", only because I really like that word.

Jack:D
    cartoon-o-rama, cartoon-o-rama, cartoon-o-rama, cartoon-o-rama...

5. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

D-Word

Oh, he apologized already...but Juan's not around to read it. It was actually on the old boards just about a month or two ago.

It's just that to me (and Juan) if you type it like this - D****y...it's right up there with the truly offensive words because when people type them online (or in a really nasty bumper sticker I saw on an SUV a few weeks ago) they type it out the same way - by eliminating all but the first and last letters, you know what I mean? I don't mind if only the I in "Disney" has an asterisk.

By the way, nobody finds my quote in my signature offensive, do they? =X

6. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

Taking a fence

No, I'm referring to NarfPinky. I can say that now that he's opened up. I didn't want him to yell at me. =X

Believe it or not I don't have a cow. I have a whole bunch of other animals (stuffed animals, of course) but no cow. =X Ask Harley. She already knows I have 6 Warners (2 of each Warner sib - 1 large plush; 1 beanie plush), 2 lab rats, and a blue bear (by the way, Harl, did I ever thank you for the last Christmas present you sent me? =X). And of course I have various versions of Pepe, Penelope, Sylvester, and Sylvester Jr.

One of these days I'll actually type out a complete list of my Warner Brothers stuff and put it on my web site. Got the idea from Federica. =X

7. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

Toon In and Talk

That's a good idea. I'll add it to the list. =)

By the way, to ease Harley's mind, this isn't going to be competition. More like an additional place for us to go chat. =X

8. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

Heh!

That reminds me of "Lake Titicaca". :)

9. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

You've already taken our fence, and now you want our umbrage?

Oh, you don't know what'cher missin', sister. I had a cow just the other evening. They're delicious, if you marinate them just right. :D

Well, I'll be dipped! Last I heard, you were only the Official Glass Blower! Congratulations on the recent promotion, and I hope it pays well! ;)

10. batboy2001

batboy2001 Spider Jerusalem

How about Toon In and Type instead of Toon In and Talk?

11. Craig Marinaro

Uh...I think you mean Nftnat?

Narfpinky is the nicest, most thoughtful poster here! Let's don't be giving the poor guy a bad reputation for something he didn't even do. ;)

-C
    Official ToonZone Hat Check Guy.

12. PennyCat

PennyCat Keeper's kitty

No...

I do mean Narfpinky. He even e-mailed me about it. :p

13. Craig Marinaro

Actually, yes. As a legally deceased male, I take great offense at this stereotypical allegation, and would be very grateful if you removed it at once.

-C
    Official ToonZone Corpse.

14. Craig Marinaro

Well, *HE* never admitted that he was the one you were referring to on the Board, then. Obviously, he wanted to keep it quiet, and for good reason. Shaaame on you.

Anyhow, Nftnat says he got an e-mail from somebody named Juan regarding the 'D*sney' gag...and I got one months ago...and you got one regarding Narfpinky...is this all the same "Juan"? And if so, doesn't he have anything better to do than harass our posters over a little joke? =X

-C
    Official ToonZone...hey, you guys let me know if this starts to get old, okay?

15. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

I will, & it isn't yet.

Nftnat, the one without name, title or signature. (Hey, if I can make useless posts, I can experiment.)

16. Craig Marinaro

Yup, that's the guy. Romey and I also had a big debate with him over the public school system, of all things, on a.t.a. a long while ago.

From what I've seen of D*I*sney NGs, he seems to be very active in that community (his reviews are posted on the Gargoyles Fan Site, for one). He seemed like an ok guy, as far as he wasn't intentionally trying to stir up trouble. But he takes himself and his beliefs waaay too seriously--something that can only lead to trouble in this crazy ol' world.

I checked my e-mail archives, and my correspondence with him was actually way back in January 1999 (around the time of our fanfic "Warner Academy"), at which point he claimed he was leaving the Board and not returning, due to the "elitist and snobbish" asterisk gag. He went on to explain why he sees WB fans as a bunch of snobs, and why he thinks the Warners represent all the "evil of the world," due to their bugging people.

All of which is plum ducky. But then, he might consider not minding his own business and letting us mind ours. Some peoples.

-C
    Official ToonZone Derby Waxer.

17. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

Yeppers, same guy. There was a bit of a hue & cry on the WB Animation ng re. the studio stores. As y'all might know I've been advocating for fans of all genres of Warner toons to work together. I was a bit disgusted myself @ the factionalism on the ng. You know, Clampett vs. Jones & all that. I wondered if there was such factionalism on the D*sn*y sites. Old school guardians having no use for Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, etc; partisans of King vs. Kinney vs. Hannah vs. Nichols; those who were of the opinion that the studio went downhill when Lundy & Geronimi left; etc. Next thing I knew I got an email from him suggesting I go to the D*sn*y sites & see for myself; and I must admit he was kind enough to enclose some addresses of D*sn*y sites. He then ripped into me re. the stuff you mentioned, Craig: the asterisks, the Warners, etc. He even said P*k*m*n was what we Warnerites deserved. I never did go to those sites; by the time the shock wore off that email had lapsed. Oh well. And I also recall that school system debate, but I forget who was on which side. Eh, not important. Oh, and Penny, I think I'll keep it up with the asterisks, because of tradition, because of habit, because it's fun. But I'm a fair man; whenever I post on any D*sn*y site I'll call my favorite studio W*rn*r. Fair enough?

18. Craig Marinaro

I was the anti-establishment hippie, and Romey the world-weary cynic. Basically, our standard roles...we often feel the same, but probably for rather different reasons.

In the debate itself, I think we were arguing that both public and private school systems have tremendous faults, while Mr. Lara was saying that private schools are *ALL* wretched heckholes due to one bad experience he'd had, and public schools are the bees' knees.

I've long since given up trying to reason who's to blame for all the problems in our society. At this point, *EVERYBODY*'s made so many mistakes, it's silly to place the blame on any given group, or to set any other group on a pedestal. But that is really, *REALLY* neither here nor there.

Hey, *HE* asked! Um...sorta. ;)

-C
    Official ToonZone Flamingo Plumer.

19. Roman Legion

Roman Legion Let's Make a Deal
    Staff Member Administrator

And then we often wind up arguing for hours on end over our respective reasons for something, despite having the same basic opinions when all is boiled down. Although, we've come up with many other interesting spins and twists of sources for arguments over the years, too. ;-)

Anyway, in regards to all the misunderstandings over "D*sney", if NarfPinky *was* in any way involved, I'm sure he didn't mean to offend. I've known him for a bit, and he's among the most considerate people I've run in to. Something had to have been misunderstood somewhere.

An' that Juan Lara, I think was a bit on edge anyway, if he was indeed the same guy Craig & myself once conversed with on ata, oh so long ago...

Romey
    --Buona notte.

20. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

It's been said to death, but NarfPinky is one darn nice guy. Juan, if you're reading this, he didn't mean anything!

...unless he's got an alternate personality we don't know about. :eek: