Sword Art Online II (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by River26, May 24, 2014.

1. River26

River26 Active Member

Coming this July will be the sequel to the original MMORPG anime; Sword Art Online.

Here's a new trailer, via Aniplex USA

[video=youtube;EK4i62i2aV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK4i62i2aV0[/video]

To date, Bandai has also acquired both games of the franchise; Infinity Moment & Hollow Fragment.

2. James Bester

James Bester Screaming for Vengeance

So, who else is STOKED?

3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

On one hand this is supposed to be "the good arc".

On the other hand...well you read the Toonami talkbacks.

4. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

I wish Toonami would have gotten a simulcast deal for this. You know Aniplex wants to push this hard. It would have been a great excuse to get the 11:00pm slot and would make for an awesome opening hour with Attack on Titan.

5. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Comrades,

i really hope Toonmai airs this next year. i loved the first season and i have high hopes this season will be even better.

has it been confirmed if it is one cour or two?

6. River26

River26 Active Member

Dunno. But likely it may come to Toonami if anything is with the original series airing on the block. A new trailer has surfaced.

7. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Oh, I hadn't noticed the title was Sword Art Online II. I didn't think the roman numeral 'two' was officially apart of the title. Neat.

8. River26

River26 Active Member

Sword Art Online II is streaming now.

9. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Episode #1

[​IMG]

Series Director Itou Tomohiko wrote, storyboarded, and directed the first episode! It turns out this series has no credited Series Organizer, so I assume Itou himself assigns and edits scripts. He must have a Hell of a schedule to do that.

Ah, the return of murder through MMOs. If this is to be the franchise's M.O., perhaps we will be able to see many different sorts of murder? Yeah, I just wrote that last sentence so I could writer 'M.O.' right after righting 'MMOs' in the previous sentence. I do like that Kirito was called in as a sort of agent by Kiku'oka, though. That's a neat homage to crime stories.

The return of the married couple! After the less than ideal storyline with Suguha it was the idea of this storyline that kept me goin'~!!

[​IMG]

Quite a few talented animators. Matsumoto Kengo must be a freelancer now, usually I've only ever seen him work on Naruto Shippuuden for Studio Pierrot. Yamashita Yuu was an animation supervisor during the Chikara arc of Naruto Shippuuden.

10. Lord Dalek

And now what you've REALLY been waiting for...

[video=youtube;x44F0YtJ2s4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x44F0YtJ2s4[/video]

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

What is that music from? It sounds familiar.

12. River26

River26 Active Member

I also wonder if we'll get to see characters from the first series. Like Klein.

13. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Episode #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rather curious is it to see a storyboard credit here from Series Director Itou Tomohiko. I wonder if this is indicative of a strong schedule? Take note of the high number of animators and animation supervisors, however. This is often indicative of a short schedule, although Take'uchi Tetsuya's presence as action animation supervisor is helpful nonetheless.

As expected, new cuts of interest are uploaded to Sakugabooru. I really like the line thickness of Kouno Megumi's cuts for the Ending.

I did not expect so much of the episode to cover Sinon on a mission before meeting Kirito. I figured that raid was going to be a short introduction to her, but it wound up taking all of Part A and nearly all of Part B! Not much of a personality her, though.

14. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Episode #3

[​IMG]

Series Director Itou Tomohiko sure is doing his best to be as involved with each episode as possible. I wonder if this trend of him storyboarding for each episode will continue for the rest of the series?

It figures Asada would be the subject of bullying from other girls. "Yo, lend us some money!" she probably makes enough from gaming, but it's still no excuse. Oh well, at least she seems to have herself a kind-of-sort-of boyfriend. Badass by night, wife by day.

Damn, she shot that dude dead. Figures this would lead to the insensitive mom shunning her. I guess that makes it easier for Kirito to save her. But wait, could that be...NTR?!

Jikai, Sword Art Online II: NTR @ GGO!! There will be a lot of fan service! [/Mitsu'ishi Kotono]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  15. Lord Dalek

Sorry about the wait on these. Aniplex issued a 100% erroneous takedown notice on one of our earlier commentaries and it took two weeks to sort out...

EPISODE 27

[video=youtube;pQ3Qc0U8oyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ3Qc0U8oyQ[/video]

EPISODE 28

[video=youtube;pTEdC85b6_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTEdC85b6_s[/video]

16. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Episode 4

Okay, so his avatar is supposed to be pretty ambiguous, although most do assume it's female.

And of course Kirito manages to find a way to use a sword even in a gun game.

NPC was stupid American fun.

17. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

I thought Japan was better than this. Since when did long hair equal female in anime. How many long haired femine looking guys have I seen in anime, that now they are fooled? I am really.

18. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Episode #4

[​IMG]

No Itou this time around. It looks like his ability to be involved personally with each episode is now over. Key Animator Houjou Nao'aki was an animation supervisor and key animator for Dragon Ball Z episodes subcontracted to Kino Production, like the lovely Episode #267.

Well, Kirito converted alright...although I was hoping he would be an actual woman so that Matsu'oka Yo*****ugu wouldn't have to act while doing a character voice.

That American NPC was hilarious. Definitely a challenger worthy of Jonathan Joestar for King of the Bad English in Japanese Cartoons. "Go to Hell!"

Kirito using a sword is not surprising, He's going to wind up using one in whatever game he plays, I'm betting. Eventually we'll need to see all Kirito avatars team up, though!

19. Lord Dalek

Episode 29.

[video=youtube;qvWvJb8OPzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvWvJb8OPzw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

20. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Episode #5

[​IMG]

Action Animation Supervisor Take'uchi Tetsuya provided some key animation this week.

When creating the story element of the legal gray-zone for the money conversion aspect of Gun Gale Online I have to wonder if Kawahara Reki did any actual research into our real world's laws regarding the subject or not. It would be interesting to learn how this concept fits into reality.

Ah, so Kirito played his hand with but one episode of Shinon mistaking him for a woman. Hoho, Kirito-kun, your marital loyalty and all-around nice-guy attitude is to be praised.

I suppose Shinon's killer instinct that allowed her to stop that burglar is brought to the forefront while playing GGO. Given how luck usually goes in fiction, it's safe to say she has only made herself into a monster by playing GGO. Then again, perhaps not. I wouldn't be surprised if she turned on those bullies she has and gave them a good, unintentional scare, however.

Ooh, the Ben Burtt light saber sound effects! I wonder if the audio director paid money to use those?

So, Death Gun is one of those not only a SAO Survivor™, but also one of those unsavory folks. This should be an interesting route.