"Supernatural" Season Seven Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by purplehairedwonder, Sep 24, 2011.

1. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

The Winchester brothers return for their seventh season. The Road So Far: Castiel brought the wall holding back Sam's memories of Hell down, leaving him to confront his inner demons inside his head. Meanwhile, Castiel took in all the souls of Purgatory, killed Raphael, and declared himself the new God, demanding Sam, Dean, and Bobby bow down to him.

Supernatural on Facebook

[​IMG]

7.01 — “Meet The New Boss”

Friday September 23, 2011 @ 9/8c on the CW
    Castiel (Misha Collins) doesn’t kill Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Bobby (Jim Beaver) but warns them not to interfere in his business. Assuming his new role as God, Castiel sets out to right some of the wrongs in the world. Dean decides they should bind Death (guest star Julian Richings) and order him to stop Castiel, but the former angel is one step ahead of them, leaving Dean to face a very angry Death. Meanwhile, Sam struggles to deal with the broken wall in his head. Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Sera Gamble.

Season 5 Talkback
    Season 6 Talkback
    CWTV.com - Supernatural

2. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Wow, the reign of Godstiel was shortlived, but it seems the threat has been replaced with something more interesting.

What a great way to start the season. I never expected the premiere to end like it did, but it worked perfectly in setting things up for this season. We got some Death, some Crowley, and some Lucifer all in one sitting, and... it truly was just something.

Can't wait for next week.

3. purplehairedwonder

I'll start out saying that I liked season 6 (unlike a lot of fans). I think noir was a good genre for Supernatural to experiment with and they did some very interesting things. With the revelations of the final four episodes, everything really came together and I've gained a greater appreciation for the initially frustrating first half of the season.

That being said, "Meet the New Boss" felt a lot like Supernatural of old--like a return to the basic form that made earlier seasons of the show so engaging. I absolutely love the B-movie feel of this season's logo and it's always great to hear some classic rock on a "The Road So Far" montage. Dean fixing up the Impala because that's the only thing he can do is reminiscent of season 2 after John's death. I really enjoyed how they used Dean fixing up the Impala as a means of showing what Godstiel was up to as time passed. We had him taking out a Westboro Baptist Church clone, the KKK ("Can't argue with that one," Dean comments wryly), and even a huge group of motivational speakers ("New Cas doesn't get irony any better than old Cas").

I read a comparison between Sam and Dean in the episode with "Point of No Return" and think it's fair. In that episode, Dean has given up hope, given up on Sam, and is going to say yes to Michael. He covers his insecurity and hurt with alcohol and snark. Similarly, Dean here has given up hope that the world's going to survive God!Cas so snarks at Sam and drowns himself in booze (and apparently hentai; that's new).

Meanwhile, Sam in PONR finally comes into his own and steps up, taking the situation into his own hands. In both episodes it's been about restoring Dean's faith--then Dean's faith in Sam, now Dean's faith in Cas. Despite being the one hurt the most by Cas' actions, Sam--ever the one to see the best in people--reaches out to Castiel in an offer of forgiveness and help. I think that scene is probably my favorite in the episode. Despite everything going on in his head, Sam manages to pull it together and offer forgiveness to the one who'd hurt him likely beyond repair. I was so proud of him in that moment. And Cas answers!

This episode also had the return of several favorites--Crowley, as always, is fabulous. I love that demon way more than I should. "Bollocks." I got a good laugh at his face as he prepped to be smited. Oh and "You do...want to conspire, right?" ^____^

Then there was Death, who was perfect as always. I loved Bobby calling him "Your Honor." Despite his comments, I do think he has some vested interest in the fates of the Winchesters, as Sam pointed out, but would never admit it. He puts up with a lot from some "protozoa" to otherwise not. His confrontation with Cas was great, as was the explanation about the leviathans Cas had swallowed. And of course, "Nice pickle chips, by the way."

But my absolute favorite was Mark Pellegrino's return as Lucifer. I knew he was going to be back for 7.02 but not 7.01. The moment I saw his name in the beginning credits, I may have squeed loudly *cough* I love his Lucifer. He has the perfect balance between menacing and twisted affection for Sam. And the idea that Sam might still be in the Cage and everything else is a hallucination? That sounds exactly like the kind of cruel thing he would do, especially after 180+ years in Hell. And Sam's not firing on all cylinders to really think it through. I wondered how they would deal with Sam's felled wall over the break and have to say I'm absolutely thrilled with what I've seen so far. Next week looks ridiculously awesome.

I also like that, at the very end, we had a moment of real!Cas before the leviathan took over. He wanted to make amends for what he'd done to Dean and Sam; I predict seeing him back around mid-season to really go through that redemption arc because after Sam offered his forgiveness, Dean seemed to embrace the idea a bit more; his face when he thought Cas had died? Killing me, Smalls!

Also, leviathan!Cas reminded me a bit of plain old Misha Collins :p No doubt he was having fun with that.

I have a really good feeling about this season.

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Cool premiere, I enjoyed it more than last season's. Oh and Foghat!

I think my favorite scene was Death and Cas talking. Death has really only had long conversations with Dean and has had only minimal contact with others on screen( Giving Sam his soul and I think nodding to the pretty Reaper from season 2..Tessa was it? ). It was just cool to seem him interact with someone with powers that may rival his.

I'm not a superfan of Crowley like a lot of fans are( I have no problem with him, I like him but not one the same level as other people ) but he was good in this. From his sad little trailer to being trapped by the boys, he was in good form here.

Cas' run as God didn't last too long but he sure did some damage. I suppose with all that power and him going on his own personal crusade you really couldn't have him running around with those powers too long. Cool image with him and all the dead angels around him. But it seems he's now in the same position that Sam was at the end of season 5.

If Leviathans are older than humans and demons I wonder if there's even any book on them. Dean was right they can't catch a break.

5. purplehairedwonder

Season 7, I love you!

7.02 "Hello Cruel World"

I had high expectations for this episode since it was written by Ben Edlund and directed by Guy Bee. Turns out that those expectations were well-founded because this episode was fantastic.

Mark Pellegrino could not be a better Lucifer. I loved him in season 5 but he is just incredible in Sam's hellucinations. Also, his comment about Sam being his little <female dog> really gives the "long time no spooning" line from last week a whole new meaning. I had to do a double take, but they really went there.

Sam is absolutely breaking my heart. He's just so lost and terrified by what's happening in his head. And after 180 years in Hell, it's surprising he's doing as well as he is, honestly. The scene between Sam and Dean in the warehouse was fabulous. Dean reaching Sam through his hellucination--brotherly love, oh how we've missed you.

Speaking of that scene, really really happy we saw some indication of Dean and Sam being able to talk about Hell. They're the only two people on the planet that have that shared experience and despite the no chick flick rule, it's something they really need to talk about. Dean seemed willing at the beginning of season 6 before he knew Sam didn't have a soul, but that got shoved to the side. I loved that Dean reached Sam through talking about that mutual experience.

I do worry, though, about Sam using pain as a means of keeping Lucifer at bay. He tends toward OCD and that could really become a problem down the line.

Bobby was fabulous in this episode, the way he was with the boys <3 He's a much better father to them than John ever was. The scene with Sam watching Lucifer impale Bobby while Bobby was talking, no idea what Sam was seeing, was hella disturbing.

And Bobby's house, nooooooooo!

Dean's phone call to Bobby while they were searching for him also broke my heart. Sam's not the only one struggling to keep himself together. I love seeing indications of how much Bobby means to him--since Dean doesn't like to share his emotions--but hearing how much losing Bobby would destroy him had me aww-ing.

And him crawling over to Sam... "I'm the one with the broken leg, you gotta carry me!" Ahhh!

I'm inordinately happy that we're finally getting hospitalized!Sam after six seasons next week (since Dean's been a patient multiple times while Sam never has). What? It's a fangirl thing, don't judge. >.>

I'm like 99% sure the new leviathan boss is leviathan!Cas. There's no way that him walking into the water was his last scene, washed up trench coat or not. I foresee him returning mid-season for his much-needed redemption arc.

Speaking of the leviathans, whoa! Those mouths... And they're doing research into humans.

Also, much love for the continuity references: Biggerson's, Dr. Sexy (which trended for awhile on Twitter during the episode, haha), even Martin from "Sam, Interrupted." Loved that.

Man, if this season keeps up at this rate, it could be the best one yet.

6. purplehairedwonder

7.03 "The Girl Next Door"

I have mixed feelings about this episode. The Supernatural fandom has pretty much exploded over the final scene with Dean and Amy and I find the different interpretations of why Dean did what he did to be interesting. I'm of the opinion that while the actions of lying to Sam, killing Amy, and giving her kid leave to find him one day were pretty horrible, but completely in character. Dean's on a total slide toward self-destruction; Bobby's been more concerned about Dean's headspace than Sam's lately; and with Sam being the one suffering hallucinations of Satan, that's saying something. But it makes a lot of sense to me. So while I didn't like it, I got it.

Speaking of Dean, Jensen Ackles directed this episode (it was shot first so he could prepare, like with last season's "Weekend At Bobby's") and did an excellent job with a weak-ish script. The episode didn't feel any different than the others in the series which means he's fitting in with the other, very talented directors the show hires and that says something.

This episode also marked the return of Colin Ford as young Sam. That kid is so talented; he's really getting a lot of Jared's mannerisms down which makes him feel like a younger Sam. He was adorable in research mode (some things never change) and when awkwardly asking Dean how to talk to girls over the phone, haha.

And, of course, there was the big guest star, Jewel Staite! Honestly, I wanted to see more of her in the episode. She was fabulous as adult Amy; very believable. (Oh, and she lived in Bozeman, MT which is where I went to high school.) I loved the few scenes she and Jared had together and would have liked a couple more.

I think that was my biggest issue with this episode: too much going on. We get the Winchesters out of the hospital before the title card and suddenly three weeks have passed (and really, Dean took off his cast and moved around after three weeks?). I wanted to see more of them having to deal with the repercussions of these serious injuries. Sam was still sporting a bruise on his temple from the tire iron but was already fine--yet he was seizing in the ambulance. I dunno, it felt too glossed over. And the adult Amy stuff felt rushed. I think the flashbacks were enough, but I wanted more in the present. And then there were the leviathans tracking down the Winchesters' fake credit cards. This felt like 1.5-2 episodes crammed into one and it bugged me a bit. But it still wasn't a bad episode by any stretch.

There were a couple of fun meta things in this episode as well: there was an ad for My Bloodiest Valentine 3D airing while Dean slept on the couch (Jensen starred in My Bloody Valentine) and the clerk at the convenience store was wearing a Batman: Under the Red Hood t-shirt (Jensen voiced Red Hood). There was also the "Amy Pond" name that I wouldn't have known the significance of without Twitter, haha. And the scene with the leviathan pouring the cheese on the clerk sure reminded me of a certain scene in Game of Thrones.

Next week--all I'm saying is lawyer Sam! Squee!

7. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Dean killing Kaylee Frye herself was pretty despicable thing but I didn't have a problem with it. Seems like a Dean thing to do as is Sam falling for a monster from the beginning( seriously demons, werewolves, and now this:p). I did like the Doctor Who reference and based on Sam's reactions he's a Whovian.

Episode itself wasn't the strongest, I thought the flashbacks came too quick and it kind of ruined the flow of the episode for me.

8. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

I liked this week's episode more than last week( although I missed the first 15 minutes ) as it had a better pace and a cool monster of the week. Also the return of Jo! I miss her, Alona Tal is one of the most beautiful girls that Supernatural has had( that's saying something in a show where all the girls are pretty:p) and it's a shame she's not in more stuff.

I thought the trial of Dean was cool, although I was hoping for more guest spots but considering how things played out with Jo's ghost and Dean at the end I guess having other guests spots would have hurt the end. So last week we find out Sam watches Doctor Who and this week we find out he watches The Good Wife, guy has a strange selection of shows there.

Also not in show news but Jared Padalecki announced on twitter he and his wife are expecting a child next year so good on them!

9. purplehairedwonder

He asked fans not to send them gifts, but to donate to St. Jude's instead and fandom's already raised over $10,000 in honor of their baby. Absolutely incredible.

As for this episode, it felt like another week of setup. I was hoping for more trial and less MOTW. What we got barely touched the surface of Dean's guilt issues. What about John's deal? Or becoming torturer in Hell? That being said, I loved the montages with the old clips. Just wish we would have gotten more of that in the actual trial.

I've also never been a fan of the Dean/Jo pairing but their scene in the motel room was beautiful. The way Jo caressed Dean's cheek and Dean leaned into it was so reminiscent of that one scene with Mary. I loved that Jo doesn't blame Dean for her death, but just telling him that isn't going to do anything for him. It makes me wonder what it's going to take to alleviate his guilt at all.

I'm fascinated by the differences in Sam's guilt and Dean's guilt. Sam tells Dean that after his time in Hell, he feels like he's paid his dues for his past mistakes. Outside of hallucinations, his head is on remarkably straight about his life. Sam's always dealt with guilt head-on, though, actively trying to atone; going to Hell did that for him. Dean, on the other hand, has always internalized his guilt and lets it eat him up until he explodes (see Dean railing on the Impala in "Everybody Loves a Clown"). Dean also can't see Hell as a time when he's paid his dues since a lot of his guilt comes from what he did while in Hell. Sam spent nearly two centuries as a victim. Dean spent thirty years as a victim then ten as a torturer and that still eats him up. I really, really hope we'll see some connection between the boys over their time in Hell because I think Dean, especially, needs that.

Speaking of the seemingly more well-adjusted Winchester, I loved Sam in this episode. I loved seeing him taking charge--and dude, EMF and a salt and burn; talk about old school--on the investigation and inserting himself into Dean's trial so he wouldn't be kicked out. My issue, though, is that the writers didn't do a great job of painting Sam as a good lawyer. Yeah, it's been a lifetime since he was pre-law, but we've seen numerous indications of what a good lawyer he would have made--and I don't think that was particularly well-expressed here. Eh.

But most importantly, Sam watches The Good Wife. Hilarious.

Next week should be fun with Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters. Excited!

10. Mandi-chan

Mandi-chan New Member

I thought the episode was okay, and while it was awesome to see Sam take control and try and snap some sense into his brother for feeling guilty about stuff that clearly wasn't his fault...I would have liked to have seen more of what Dean felt guilty about (that was very much deserved).

Like, say, his tendency for hypocrisy (the term, "do as I say, not as I do" comes to mind), the way he often pushes away the people he claims to love, the way he decided deal with Lisa and Ben (that was horrible, and he's an idiot if he thinks that's going to protect them from things that go bump in the night, unless Cas went above and beyond for him again and took extra percautions to protect the family that he was abandoning...I'm going to stop now before this rant goes out of control), and the way he judges Sam (you know Dean, you're not really the #1 boy scout yourself...).

I dunno, I just felt the episode was wasted potential. I really wanted to see the judge throwing some hard truths into Dean's face, and having him finally deal with it like a grown up instead of his usual destructive routines.

On another note, I love Sam's confession that he knows he did a lot of bad **** over the years, and that's he's being punished for it and dealing with it...no longer wallowing in self-pity like his older brother (probably because he's willing to admit his faults while Dean IMO does not).

I squeed with glee to see JM and CC in the previews for next week. They've got a few Whedonites on the show this time around, huh? Wonder if SMG will guest-star now that she's got a show on the same network as SPN now? "Buffy" and Dean, that would be fun to watch!

11. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I, as well as all Buffy/Angel fanatics out there, should really check out the episode featuring James Marsters/Charisma Charpenter. I was huge Buffy/Angel fan, and I've been fortunate enough to meet both of them at the last couple of WizardWorld Chicago Comic Cons. Fortunately, I'm sure that the episode will at some point be available on the CW's web site: http://www.cwtv.com/cw-video/supernatural

12. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

I really hoped this season would be better than the last (I still loved season 6 but it just wasn't as good as earlier seasons, ofcourse.) Anyways, I have hated every episode they have aired this season, except the most recent one with Charisma Carpenter, and James Marsters, (I mean not only did the episode feel a little more like the old classic Supernatural it had Cordelia and Spike!) The things I absolutely hated this season was the corny and stupid Osiris episode, and the one before it where Dean (who IMO was out of character) killed Sam's old friend. Those and them getting rid of Misha Collins (the most stupid thing the creators have done.) He made the 4-6th seasons 2x better with his comedic timing and just overall presence, either way I still love Supernatural and will continue to watch, but I truly hope the episodes and story improve. but I am close to just skipping the show completely.

off subject: I miss Smallville, I miss how it and Supernatural were back to back (even though they only did that for a few seasons.) CW is really sucking right now IMO.
    Anyways sorry, rant over...
    So what did you guys think of the newest episode? "Shut up Dr. Phil!"

D.

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

I dont see how Dean was OOC with what he did a few weeks ago. He's pretty predictable guy who kind of has tunnel vision and usually doesn't see the big picture. He also lies a lot when it comes to stuff he's done. PHW explained it pretty well a few posts back up and I think she's spot on.

As for killing Cas? I don't buy that he's gone for good but if no one is at risk then why would we care? And I'm glad Supernatural is on it's own, means I don't confuse when its on with the decade waste of time that was Smallville:p.

As for this episode..wasn't feeling it much. I feel that they wanted to kind of piggyback off the Cordy and Spike and then write around it but aside from them there wasn't much to this episode. And I felt that Charisma and Marsters were kind of boring in this but it was nice seeing them again on the same show( although I don't remember them having a lot of screentime together on Buffy ). Hopefully they're doen with the Whedon cameos and guest spots because it seems these episodes aren't doing much at them moment.

14. purplehairedwonder

I remain of the opinion that Dean killing Amy was completely in character, especially with where his head is right now. Dean's a hunter and Amy was prey, no matter how "reformed" she was. What if her kid got sick again? What if this or that? There are a ton of ways to justify her actions, but she remains a monster killing humans, and Dean's job is to make sure no more blood is spilled. What's eating him up is not that he killed her, but the fact that's he's lying to Sam about it--and Sam is calling him out on keeping a secret, too. I hope that secret comes out soon, because the longer the secret festers, the worse Sam's reaction is going to be.

Also, I doubt we've seen the last of Cas. I still think Boss!Leviathan is in Cas' vessel. I just don't see him dying without getting the chance to make good on his promise to redeem himself to Dean and Sam. Misha, at the Chicago convention today, joked that when Cas returns and he gets to renegotiate his contract, he's putting in there that Cas has to get a hug from Sam :p

As for this week's episode, I liked it. I had fairly low expectations since I knew it was going to be lighter in nature so was pleased to find myself laughing aloud. A lot. The gore level was sure notched up a level or two this week, too. There were a few scenes I had to turn away from, but I guess that comes with the witch territory. LOVED that Don was a witch, too. His face in the car when he spoiled the art auction? Pure Spike and I may have squeed.

What I particularly enjoyed were the parallels between the Stark marriage and Sam and Dean's relationship. Because really, they are basically married to each other ([strike]Don't look at me like that.[/strike]) and are going through a spell (pun intended) of secrecy and trust issues. Would have liked to have seen more interaction between the Starks and the Winchesters (because everyone wants to see genre royalty interacting with the series leads) but am not sure how that could have played out so am forgiving. Seriously, though, these characters need to come back sometime because they were great and whatever Don did affected the leviathan that had tracked Sam and Dean, so that could be useful.

Also, if you guys didn't see the "rough cut" of the first scene in the motel room between Sam and Dean that Jared tweeted, you need to look it up ("Life in Motel Rooms" is the video title). Absolutely hilarious. These guys are perfect <3

Next week is evil!Winchesters, which promises to be a lot of fun.

15. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Yeah I think this was quite a step up from the last few episodes. I enjoyed the guest characters and got quite a chuckle or two out of their marital spats and the way they handled Sam and Dean at the climax. It was really good fun and had a distinct kind of focus that I found lacking in the previous episode. At least we had more of the guest characters to watch here than we did in Episode three as well.

And yes you people must watch the "Life in Motel Rooms" scene. It's awesome.

16. purplehairedwonder

7.06 "Slash Fiction"

Fabulous episode this week, miles ahead of 3-5. I'd rank this episode as second best of the season so far, just behind "Hello, Cruel World." There was absolutely nothing I didn't like about this episode, including the ending. Fandom has blown up over it, but it makes total sense to me, so whatever.

The dialogue in this episode was fantastic. It was the spec script for the season, so not written by someone on staff, but it was clearly written by someone who gets the show. So many hilarious lines. I hope the writer does more scripts for the show because this one was excellent.

It was clear Jared, Jensen, and Jim (J3!) were having fun playing their evil counterparts in this episode. Levia!Sam was a return to soulless!Sam form, levia!Dean was a return to demon!Dean of "Dream a Little Dream of Me" in season 3, and levia!Bobby was a return to Khan worm!Bobby from "And Then There Were None" in season 6.

In fact, this whole episode was filled with callbacks to previous seasons, which was incredibly fun. The jail scenes had a very "Jus In Bello" vibe with the monster siege and cooperating with the police, the bank robbery was very "Nightshifter"-esque with the people stuffed in the vault, the breakup scene looked a lot like Dean's confession about remembering Hell in "Wishful Thinking," Bobby torturing the leviathan was very "Weekend at Bobby's," and the evil!Winchester plot was very reminiscent of "Skin," among others, not to mention the actual callbacks to the first few episodes of season 1. I loved the flashbacks and that Sam and Dean remember the order of the hunts they'd been on since Sam returned from Stanford despite everything else going on in their lives (like decades of extra memories from Hell for them both).

Sheriff Mills and Bobby <3

LOVED Kevin McNally as Frank. What a hilariously awesome character. I hope we see him again.

The scene in the car with Dean lip synching to Air Supply was quite possibly the funniest scene ever on the show. Could not stop laughing. Sam's face was priceless. These are the brotherly moments I've been missing so much.

The scene with the levia!chesters in the diner was gold, with the leviathans talking about how messed up Sam and Dean are. "Dead plants covered in creamy goo. It's like eating self-righteousness." or "I had a brother once with this many issues. You know what I did?" "What?" "I ate him." "Of course you did." Bwah! Interesting to note, though, that this new, upbeat Sam is clearly covering a lot of crap going on under the surface with "Satan vision" and "bats in the belfry," according to levia!Sam.

And I think that the reveal of the Amy secret is going to be what starts cracking him again. He was so devastated when the deliciously evil levia!Dean revealed the truth. That was a fabulous scene (Jensen needs to get to play more dark!Dean after this, seriously) and the shot in the mirror with levia!Dean hunched over Sam's shoulder was wicked cool.

I also like that Sam didn't hide that he knew about Amy from Dean at the end. He is clearly done lying to Dean, but the hurt about the secret is plain. Fandom's freaking out about Sam taking off, but he said "I can't talk to you right now. I can't even be around you right now." He's furious and hurt and needs space to cool off and process what happened before he says something he regrets. And I think that's smart. I also think we're going to see signs of Sam cracking again because, as per the warehouse scene in "Hello, Cruel World," Dean wants Sam to make their relationship stone number 1 and rebuild his sanity, his reality, on that. But Dean then betrayed the trust he claimed to offer Sam, which is going to cause a crack in the very foundation Sam's been trying to build. Should be interesting.

Not to mention, according to the preview they're back to hunting together next week. Hopefully the ramifications of Sam storming off aren't swept under the rug like Sam's first seizure at the beginning of "Mannequin 3" last season.

Oh, and since it's moderately relevant: I wrote a meta about how Sam has been haunted by the word "freak" through his life. Check it out here.

17. Robin2099

Robin2099 New Member

Yeah this show is pretty much just treading water till cancellation. I hate saying that too because of how much I liked this show in the past. In fact, that's the only reason I'm still watching. Kripke leaving was a big blow and it's obvious Sera Gamble is in over her head as show runner. Too bad they didn't put Ben Edlund or Robert Singer in charge after Kripke left.

18. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

I thought this last episode was brilliant. The Leviathan clones talking about Sam and Dean was hilarious, and of course I'm happy any time Crowley pokes his head in. Still want to see Cas again.

I did groan at the ending. It's like, okay, here's your annual brothers breaking up angle that will be solved next week. I've seen that scene a few too many times.

Basically I think the show's still great when it comes to the main plot episodes, like this one and the first two, just the standalones have been quite weak so far this season. Compare it to Season 5, for instance, where the main plot and the "filler" episodes were both awesome.

19. purplehairedwonder

I had fairly low expectations for "The Mentalists" considering it was another MOTW episode. And I actually really enjoyed the psychic part of the episode--felt a lot like season 1's "Provenance" only with Dean looking after the girl and Sam burning the bones--and the guy in the museum channeling Ellen was excellent. I really wanted some comment about how Sam used to have death visions as well, though. Perfect chance. Oh, and the bones in the bed was very "A Rose for Emily." Yuck.

But my biggest disappointment was the reconciliation. My first reaction was "Aw boys!" and then I thought about it. There was no mention of Dean telling Sam he trusted him before killing Amy, and that's been my biggest issue with Dean's actions. So either Sam's holding onto that and it'll come out down the line (I hope) or he doesn't care (seems unlikely). And though I liked Dean saying he was acting like he was because he hated lying to Sam, he'd been acting off before killing Amy (though he did mention trust issues after Cas, I concede). It just was *too* clean a reunion for all that it was being built up as.

I think this was definitely the best standalone episode this season, but I agree that there is a definite unevenness with the myth eps vs. the MOTW eps. And after last week's phenomenal episode, it felt like a letdown.

20. purplehairedwonder

7.08 "Season 7, Time for a Wedding"

Becky is a very divisive figure in the Supernatural fandom, so I know some people loved this one and others hated it. The first half or so was filled with awkward humor that made me uncomfortable (just not the humor I like) but the moment the crossroads demon entered the picture, there was a big shift and I was totally into it.

Crowley also makes every episode he's in awesome, so that was great. "This isn't Wall Street. This is Hell. We have integrity." Bwah! Also love that he's trying to keep demons away from the Winchesters do they can deal with the leviathans. I still think we'll see him wanting to work with Sam and Dean eventually.

DJ Qualls was fun as Garth. I hope we see him again sometime.

Sam tied down on the bed? That may or may not have been a highlight *cough*

Dean at the end broke my heart a but when Sam said he could focus on his own stuff instead of just focusing on Sam. Dean would clearly rather focus on Sam than deal with his own issues and the thought of doing so probably terrifies him. I think it's significant the crossroads demon made the comment about being honored to meet Dean since he's never dealt with his own Hell trauma and Sam's issues and concern for Dean are forcing the issue. Should be interesting to see where that goes.