1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman Unchained (2013 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Rate and Comment - "Superman Unchained"

1. *****

100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Superman's new armor was pretty cool, both in terms of designs and weaponry, though I wish we could've seen more from it before it started falling apart from the military attack.

The interplay between Superman's fight with Lane and the military as well as Batman and Wonder Woman taking on Wraith was also quite awesome :cool:.

I'm not as up to date with the events of the Superman books as I'd like to be, but I think this issue might have had the most romantic moment between Lois and Superman in the New 52 yet :sweat:.

Superman tearing up Lane's machine and screaming for Wraith was definitely nice to see ;).

Looking forward to Superman's showdown with Wraith :D.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Unchained is always so....EPIC! Man. I know some people will roll their eyes that Batman can hold his own against Wraith, but I thought it was handled well.

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The penultimate issue!

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #8

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

It's all going to hell as cosmic-level war breaks out! The full truth of who -- or what -- Wraith is finally comes to light!

Comments?

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This issue was EPIC! Maybe the best fight scene in a comic all year. I am honestly not exaggerating, it was that good. Jim Lee has managed to top himself again, art-wise.

On a side-note, Wraith has become one of my favorite Superman villains recently. I think its his great dialogue.

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I agree Gold Guy! It was a great issue and the fighting was really nicely done by Lee. Wraith is becoming a really great villain. What I really like is that we still have one more issue for Snyder to wrap things up without rushing or skipping anything. I like that DC Comics made this a finite series so we got a nice tight story that doesn't drag or endlessly go on and on.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm sad its ending, but I agree: quality over quantity.

Also, now my friends who for some silly reason didn't follow it can read the graphic novels. I really hope we get to see Wraith elsewhere; I liked him. I'm also hoping for a DTV adaption of this arc.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd been looking forward to the final fight between Superman and Wraith since this series began and I was definitely not disappointed :cool:.

While I thought the earlier action was well choreographed and exciting, the best part was definitely Superman finding a way to negate their abilities and turning it into a fistfight. His managing to beat Wraith and leaving him in the lava with a speech decrying him and his actions were definitely a sight to behold :D.

Superman finally shutting up Lane was also another awesome moment ;).

And of course, Lex Luthor finally makes his presence and intentions known, as well as the true threat facing the Earth. Not only that, but he sets things up so that he can save the world, force Superman to kill, and kill Superman. Talks about killing three birds with one stone :sweat:.

I would hope that, despite the nature of the book as a limited series and kinda outside the main continuity, Wraith doesn't end up solely appearing in this story and could appear again in the future. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about him at first, but I think he's proven himself an interesting character and a formidable foe for Superman both in terms of strength and ideology. I think I even like him more than I do Ulysses in the main book, so seeing him never appear again would be quite disappointing :sad:.

Looking forward to seeing how Synder and Lee conclude what's been a very enjoyable Superman series, and has me hoping these two can get the chance to work with the character again in the near future :).

8. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The finale! How will it end?

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #9

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

This is it – the extraordinary, extra-sized finale of Scott Snyder and Jim Lee’s Superman saga, surrounded by an epic wraparound cover! It’s a battle in the sun as Superman and Wraith accept their destinies…and Lex Luthor pulls the trigger on his ultimate weapon!

Comments?

9. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

A little bit underwhelming but a good finale. I'm not entirely sold on Wraith's sacrifice to be honest. I'm sure this'll read much better in one sitting as the constant delays did kill the story's momentum. Still the story did seem to hit most of the right beats for a Superman story and I enjoyed it overall but it just seemed to lose a bit of steam. A solid effort from start to finish though not perfect.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

A bit rushed, but I liked it. Aptly emotional.

But man, I was hoping Snyder wouldn't kill off Wraith. He really grew on me. But I suppose if the writers gave Superman too many allies, it would be too easy. Oh well.