1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman Unchained (2013 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Rate and Comment - "Superman Unchained"

1. *****

100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

An all-new monthly comic series starring the Man of Steel!

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
    Backup story art by DUSTIN NGUYEN

When thirteen satellites fall from the sky in one day, the logical suspect is Lex Luthor—even though he’s still locked up in prison! But a stranger question remains: If Superman didn’t stop the last satellite from falling, who did? There’s a mystery hidden where even Superman can’t see it—Can The Man of Steel drag a decades-old secret into the light? Don’t miss the debut of this red-hot new series from two of comics’ brightest superstars: SCOTT SNYDER and JIM LEE!

This debut issue also includes a bonus two-sided, tipped-in poster measuring 11.6875” x 18.875” that is part of the reading experience and can be easily removed for display!

Comments?

2. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

This first issue was VERY good, while they need to fix the price because this first issue really wasn't worth 5$, Snyder definitely nails Superman's voice how I would like it to be. And it was nice seeing a Lois Lane written well for once. I really don't have much negatives to say about this issue, I have faith Snyder will deliver a good story here.

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I thought this was really good but not worth the $5 cover price. I understand the price tag was because of the poster mostly but this was a good issue. I imagine I'll stick around for this book. Snyder seems to have a nice grasp on Superman and I like that he quickly touched on some of the Superman supporting cast. In her short appearance I thought Snyder did a really good job with Lois. It's basically all set-up and it set up the opening salvo for the story. I can't see Jim Lee staying on for more than the first twelve issues or so. I am curious about the finale and who that 'other Superman' could be. Maybe Majestic?

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I couldn't figure out how to open up the poster and continue reading. Can you open and close the poster back up without damaging the poster/comic, or if you take it out to open and read, it's out for good? Since I left it alone, I honestly can say I dont think I missed much since I continued reading on with no problem.

This might be too early for this comparison, but this first issue reminded me of the first issue of the "For Tomorrow" arc. There's just so much talking and monologing in both of these issues.

5. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

This is what the Superman title should have been at the start of the New 52. I've been one of the biggest critics of Scott Snyder and had low expectations for this title...but it was a solid start. I hope it doesn't jump the shark like Court of Owls.

6. James Harvey

The mystery deepens...

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #2

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

The technological terrorists called Ascension are growing bolder with every attack, creating problems only can solve—and that’s with help from the world’s greatest detective, Batman! But the mystery that’s really got them both worried is the unknown figure that’s been shadowing Superman! And in this issue’s backup tale, Jimmy Olsen takes center stage as Metropolis reacts to an event that’s shaken the city to its core!

Comments?

7. Dragonpiece

This was a better issue for sure. I really like Snyders take on Superman. It was hard getting use to at first because Superman doesn't really think that much in other new 52 series, but now it's getting better. Since Snyder is already a master at writing Bruce/Batman, I really loved the two interacting with one another. It was like a crossover of two series. I think Snyder said we get more Lois next issue so I look forward to that. Overall, a good issue. It feels like the story is being written for trade readers though, which I don't mind, but a bit annoying for monthly readers...

8. James Harvey

Secrets come to light...

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #3

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

Superman’s found out the secret the U.S. Army tried desperately to keep from him—or more specifically, that secret’s found him! But with hijacked drone aircraft tearing Tokyo apart, there’s not much time for mystery…and with Lois Lane on the case as well, what’s in the darkness will come to the light!

Comments?

9. Wonder Woman

Has DC established when this series takes place? It doesn't seem to exactly mesh with the other Superman books right now. It's a great book so far but I'm just trying to place it.

Did anyone else get a laugh out of one of the variant covers with the 90s Superboy featured on the cover?

10. James Harvey

Lex Luthor takes the center stage...

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #4

[​IMG]
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Backup story by DUSTIN NGUYEN

Superman rushes to stop Ascension’s attack and kicks off a huge battle with Wraith! Besieged on all sides, Superman has no choice but to call in some powerful friends...

Comments?

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm liking Wraith so far, I hope he sticks around. I'd be a bit disappointed if he dies after this arc or something.

12. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

We just know it's in the present day, but before Forever Evil.

13. James Harvey

Lex Luthor takes the center stage...

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #5

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

Superman and Wraith form an alliance to rescue a hostage and strike at the heart of Ascension, but the mission goes awry when it becomes clear the Man of Tomorrow and the soldier from beyond the stars have very different methodologies—and objectives! Plus, secrets are revealed about Wraith’s people!

Comments?

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It seems we'll get some revelations about Wraith here. Good, he's a cool character, so I'm up for learning more about him.

15. James Harvey

Can Superman save us all?

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #6

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

The Man of Tomorrow and the Superman of yesterday go at it—no holds barred! Supes goes full throttle after his would-be ally, Wraith, in a seismic battle ranging from deep space to the ocean’s floor and ultimately the core of the earth! Meanwhile, Lois Lane holds the key to defeating Ascension, but she needs to reach the Fortress of Solitude to ensure its safekeeping—not to mention hers! And she’s being pursued by a heavily armed force, and it isn’t Ascension!

Comments?

16. Wonder Woman

Is anyone else getting the impression that this is basically a straight take on the movie Superman 4: The Quest for Peace? Superman is basically trying to do the same thing and is running into those who oppose him. Now this is a thousand times better and that may not be an exact comparison but there does seem to be some homage/inspiration from it.

17. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

If it is, I hope Scott Snyder would come out and say it so I could hopefully enjoy this story more. I still don't "get it" with Scott Snyder, but this isn't over yet and I might "get it" (at least in regards to Superman Unchained) when this series is finished.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Seeing Superman finally get some good punches in on Wraith was nice, as was Batman's reaction ;).

Though I'm expecting a more knock-out drag out brawl between the two to close out Unchained, and hopefully with a good speech from Superman finally illustrating why he does what he does and how that makes him different from Wraith :).

Snyder does love his speeches after all :p.

I'm also looking forward to Superman getting to take on Lane, especially after Lane's constant criticism of him throughout the series.

19. Dragonpiece

This was a really good issue that continued to move the plot forward, can't say I have enjoyed this arc of Superman too much, but it's still been pretty good and it really is cool to see Mr. Snyder's take on the character.

20. James Harvey

Closing in on the final issue...

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #7

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

It’s a rampage in the Batcave! It’s come to this: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman against Wraith! Alone, they wouldn’t have a chance – but they don’t have much of one together, either! And all the while, Lex Luthor’s machinations are clicking into place…

Comments?