1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman: The Movie" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Stu, Jul 10, 2003.

?

Rate 'Superman: The Movie'

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ****1/2

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. ****

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

You'll Believe A Man Can Fly!

[​IMG]

"Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and power are needed. And always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason, above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son." - Jor-El

Release Date: December 15, 1978
    Studio: Warner Brothers
    Director: Richard Donner
    Starring: Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper, Glenn Ford, Trevor Howard, Margot Kidder, Terence Stamp, Phyllis Thaxter

Plot Summary: Unable to convince the ruling council of Krypton that their world will destroy itself soon, scientist Jor-El takes drastic measures to preserve the Kryptonian race: He sends his infant son Kal-El to Earth. There, gaining great powers under Earth's yellow sun, he will become a champion of truth and justice. Raised by the Kents, an elderly farm couple, Clark Kent learns that his abilities must be used for good. The adult Clark travels to Metropolis, where he becomes a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet...and a caped wonder whose amazing feats stun the city: Superman! Meanwhile, Lex Luthor, the world's greatest criminal mind, is plotting the greatest real estate swindle of all time. Can't even the Man of Steel stop this nefarious scheme?

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -Superman II/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman III Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman IV: The Quest For Peace Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman Returns Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Supergirl Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman: The Movie Soundtrack Talkback
    -Action Comics "Last Son" Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman Returns DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

#1 Stu, Jul 10, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2003
  2. Arkangel

Arkangel Member

I love this film. A great portrayal of pre-Crisis Superman. Yes, the ending is weak, but I still loved the film.

But what most struck me most the last time I saw it (a few weeks ago) was how it was geared completely to adults, not kids and teens.

3. Hatter

Hatter Active Member

I think it's mostly crap. They made no effort to make this movie timeless. It just SCREAMS 1970s, from the jive-talking hipsters to the terrible suits. And they also made no effort to differentiate Metropolis from NYC... they showed the World Trade Center, for god's sake! "Metropolis" in this film is a dirty, dingy, dark place. It's ugly to look at. I'll admit, there is some good set design in other parts of the movie, but the rest is crap. The Bugle offices, Luthor's stupid underground pool...
    Man, don't get me started on Luthor! One of the worst portrayals of any character I've ever seen. He's just a goofy comedic idiot. And the wig... god!

While most people tend to idolize Chris Reeve's performance, I don't think he was anything special. He's not terribly muscular, and his flying scenes were laughable - but I guess that's not really his fault.

4. DianaGohan

DianaGohan Active Member

Wow, a strong opinion of greatness and a strong opinion of hatred. I'm in between, I thought it was an O.K movie, nothing great, but nothing horrible. I would probably like it better if I saw it when it premiered, but that can't happen now. I give it a B-.

5. zimfan3000

zimfan3000 mmm...fishheads

The movie had good special effects for the 1970s, and I even have the soundtrack on tape. Though there were some parts I didn't like (particularly the one about the pool (?); it's been awhile), the movie has decent acting. I give it a B+

6. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

Probably the greatest comic book movie ever made.

-Terminatah

7. Steven C

Steven C Active Member

I think you have an extra "T" in your name.
    I also think Superman 1 is the best comic movie period!

8. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Easily the best live action Superman translation to date. I hadn't seen this movie in years until I decided to get the DVD, and it still holds up as one of the better comic book movies. It has ages better than all the Batman's IMO, simply because its slightly more realistic. That may sound weird, him being an alien and all but, I think, its what would happen if a stranger became the worlds new hero. Some things remain a mystery, how they manages to make spandex work on screen being the biggest.

It took some stones for Donner to make the way he did, at an intelligent adult audience, giving a lot of screen time to Jor-El and the Kryptonian council and having a good hour go by before we see Superman himself. While they absoloutly nailed the Smallville part, I think a lot more could have been done with Metropolis,as it was painfully odvious it was NYC. This is the only area the set designers fail IMO, I thought the Fortress of Solitude, the Kent Farm and Luthors 'apartment' where all done to perfection. I also found that the cast where all likeable, and all worked in thier roles. Lois Lane was fine to me, but I am used to seeing Teri Hatcher in the mediocre Lois and Clark, so that might have something to do with it. Christoper Reeves nailed Superman. No one could match a better transaltion of a living comic book character until Hugh Jackman came along and stole the show in X-Men, and Affleck did the same in Daredevil. It even set up the sequel, with Superman fighting Zod and the other 2 Kryptonian villians. And the score is simply the best ever done. Williams was robbed of his Oscar IMO.

A brilliant film. Whoever makes the new Superman film has massive shoes to fill.

#8 Stu, Jul 10, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  9. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

It's the best superhero film money could buy in the 70s, and still holds up pretty well today. The big weak spot is the dopey villain, but this was corrected in the second film. After that it all went to hell.

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With the arrival of Superman Returns (review, talkback, DVD talkback) and Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition (review, DVD talkback) onto DVD today, what better time to discuss the Super films? Let's go!

You'll Believe A Man Can Fly!

[​IMG]

"Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and power are needed. And always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason, above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son." - Jor-El

Release Date: December 15, 1978
    Studio: Warner Brothers
    Director: Richard Donner
    Starring: Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper, Glenn Ford, Trevor Howard, Margot Kidder, Terence Stamp, Phyllis Thaxter

Plot Summary: Unable to convince the ruling council of Krypton that their world will destroy itself soon, scientist Jor-El takes drastic measures to preserve the Kryptonian race: He sends his infant son Kal-El to Earth. There, gaining great powers under Earth's yellow sun, he will become a champion of truth and justice. Raised by the Kents, an elderly farm couple, Clark Kent learns that his abilities must be used for good. The adult Clark travels to Metropolis, where he becomes a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet...and a caped wonder whose amazing feats stun the city: Superman! Meanwhile, Lex Luthor, the world's greatest criminal mind, is plotting the greatest real estate swindle of all time. Can't even the Man of Steel stop this nefarious scheme?

Comments?