Superman: TAS or Batman: TAS?

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Munkiman, Jun 21, 2009.

?

Which of these two is your favorite?

1. Superman: The Animated Series

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Batman: The Animated Series

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  1. Munkiman

Munkiman Hail Hydra.

Which is your favorite, Batman: The Animated Series, or Superman: The Animated Series?

I'm not asking which is better, just your personal favorite.

Personally, I prefer Superman. I did as a kid, and I still do. Nobody's saying that B:TAS wasn't awesome and groundbreaking, but I really like S:TAS's over-the-top sci-fi style, which works really well in animation.

How about you?

2. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses New Member

I'm actually going to vote for Superman for being a more consistent series.

But Batman had highs that Superman never touched. Conversely, it had lows that Superman never plummeted to.

3. Kaveh77

Kaveh77 New Member

Batman tas (In my opinion)superman was boring

4. satam55

satam55 New Member

I love both. This is hard for me to choose.

I agree that Superman:TAS never had the lows that B:TAS had, but B:TAS doesn't have anything as big as "Legacy Parts 1 & 2", "Apocalypse Now parts 1 & 2", and "World's Finest 3-Parter" (Although some stuff like "Mask of the Phantasm" movie come very darn close).

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Generally, I make it a point to avoid any comparisons between Superman and Batman anything, as the 2 are like apples and oranges, but since we're talking about their respective animated series, I'll make an exception this one time and say that I prefer Superman: TAS.

Don't get me wrong, Batman is awesome and his Timmverse show came first and broke barriers and all that, but I've always personally preferred my comic book heroes to be of the superpowered variety, as I've been a long time fan of over-the-top sci-fi stuff. Batman: TAS was closer to animated live-action, which tends to bore me.

6. Mr. Mxyzptlk

Mr. Mxyzptlk Film Buff

I have long been a supporter of the idea that S:TAS is the better show than B:TAS, which is slightly overrated given how many terrible episodes it has, and yet I much say I like B:TAS better for nostalgic reasons.

7. Robin2099

Robin2099 New Member

BTAS. Superman suffered from the fact that for most of the series, the writers just didn't get how to do good Superman stories. As a result, most of the series was somewhat mediocre until it hit it's stride in the third season when Kara, and the Apocalypse mythology showed up. So for quality of work overall I would have to give it to Batman.

8. thedanmachine

thedanmachine gomu gomu no custom title

BTAS for me.
    While STAS was, for the most part, a much more consistent series quality-wise IMO, it just didnt give me those memorable moments that BTAS did.

9. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Don't get me wrong, Superman:TAS was a very good cartoon. But I agree that for a large portion of the show, it felt like the creators just didn't know what to do with the show. The show was by far at its best when Superman was facing Darkseid. I enjoyed what they did with Superman much more in the Justice League/JLU cartoon.

Batman:TAS seemed to find its stride much earlier in the series. And I definitely agree when, I think it was Bruce Timm said something like "it's much easier to do a Batman cartoon than it is a Superman cartoon." With Superman you have to be very careful. If you make him too powerful, it's tough for anyone to challenge him. But if you don't make him powerful enough, you have to be careful that you still do the character justice. So that can explain why Batman:TAS seemed to find its rhythm much earlier than Superman:TAS did.

10. Dayspring

Dayspring New Member

Superman was consistent in that it was either a high-note or low-note series. There was NO middle ground. Anything NEW (AU, villain's first episode, guest-hero, etc), anything Kryptonian (Brainiac/Jax-Ur) or anything with Apocalypse (Darkseid, Calibak, etc) was worth watching. Anything else was not. Because the show was shorter, the "nots" weren't as obvious as the amount of BTAS nots.

For that reason, and for the very biased reason that I prefer superpowers and sci-fi to gangsters and mystery, I say STAS was the better show. BTAS had better character growth, though.

11. Collie

Collie Total Drama Llama

Superman, if for no other reason than Superman > Batman.

12. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

I always preferred Batman: TAS. I don't really have a good explanation why, I just liked it better.

13. dark knight acolyte

dark knight acolyte Deep in the Shadows of Gotham

I don't know. For starters, I think of those that you mentions: MOTP clearly stands apart from the preceding multi-chapter episodes.

Also, Demon's Quest I thought stood very tall as a broad story (and excitement abound for the appearance of Ras!), and Robin's Reckoning pt. 1 was an amazingly emotionally compelling story.

14. dark knight acolyte

dark knight acolyte Deep in the Shadows of Gotham

My choice is far and away B:TAS. It was more compelling and revolutionary. The characters were so psychologically examined and the series- for me- was complete emotional stimulation! Euphoria for me and that comes with some bias. It premiered when I was ten. Prime age!!!

15. Power Guy

Power Guy Power Girl's Other Cousin

Batman: The Animated Series is my favorite. The Superman version was good but the Bats one delved so much deeper into the Batman's universe plus we got appearances by Zatanna, the Creeprer, and Etrigan.

16. suss2it

suss2it New Member

How exactly did Batman go deeper in Batman's Universe than Superman of his own? Superman gave us Steel, Metallo and Supergirl, Ma & Pa Kent, a lot of the New Gods and Darkseid.

So I don't really see how either went deeper than the other.

17. Munkiman

Munkiman Hail Hydra.

And Superman got guest appearances by a lot of other DCU heroes, like the Flash, Green Lantern and Dr. Fate.

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

I chose BTAS although I'm in the camp that STAS was a much more consistent show. Part of it is the fact that I like Batman and his world better, the fact that it was this team's first I guess also is taken into effect here and it ended up spawning cartoon spin offs for a decacde and a half. Also it was revisiting this show on DVD back in 2004 that got me interested in animation and why I decided to go into that as well.

As for the show itself, I liked the look and feel of Batman, the black paper idea was pretty nuts and worked great, the music felt just a tad more memorable for me( not by much ), and when I first saw it when I was a kid I had never seen anything like it before. I think I also have to take into account that I saw most of these episodes when they first aired as opposed to STAS which I only partially saw scattered episodes and years apart. It wasn't until it and TNBA came on DVD that I didn't appreciate them as much as BTAS. That's changed now but BTAS is still my benchmark to what I measure superhero cartoons by.

19. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

The best STAS episodes stand up pretty well to the best of anything DCAU: episodes such as "Knight Time," "Apokolips Now," "Legacy," "The Late Mr. Kent," etc., I put toward the very top of the long, DCAU history. Also, as others mentioned, STAS compares well when you consider how much more expansive it is with the DC Universe than BTAS is with other big names. We saw Green Lantern, the Flash, and Aquaman. We hear a reference to Wonder Woman. Those are big trumps over Etrigan, the Creeper, and Zatanna IMO.

However, STAS is a show about Superman lite. He's not as tough as he can be, not as smart as he can be, not as cool as he can be. I'm a Superman fanatic, and STAS disappointed a lot. Other than a handful of great episodes, there are a lot of rather mundane ones that don't really bring Superman to new heights.

I started watching BTAS when it debuted when I was 13. I thought the show was almost always a pleasant viewing. Going back now, I understand there were a lot of bummers, but I usually entertained and rarely let down by the show. If I had no preconceived notions for either show or character, I could see how STAS could be better, but based on initial impressions and tendency to meet expectations, BTAS wins.

20. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

Exactly. If you have very little knowledge about Superman then you're gonna love the show. Otherwise, you're not gonna think much of it. With Batman they hit all the right notes. With Superman they never really got it right.