1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman" Sequel Pre-Release Discussion, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. I'd be all for a Columbus-directed Superman. I've enjoyed a lot of the films he's directed.

2. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

3. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

4. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

That would be interesting. Even after Superman Returns I think I'm willing to gamble on Nolan, espicially with Chris Nolan behind him.

5. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

So long as they're doing their own thing on Superman and not trying to replicate Donner then I can see this being better than Returns.

6. launchpad20

launchpad20 Active Member

Me, too. I honestly can't imaging Chris Columbus being a good choice for director.
    Same here. The Donner films were good for their time, but simply wouldn't work again today. I think a film that has the characters, but has it's own tone, and feel would be much better.

7. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! why? (the same reasons why i feel the dark knight is flawed) jon nolan has no experience directing a movie, his better/main talent is writing. stick with that. (while chris nolan's better talent is directing, which is what he ONLY should have done in the dark knight). i'll take jon nolan over chris columbus, but i have to think is jon nolan only getting the job just because of who is brother is?

"chuck" as superman? give me a break.

8. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I totally see your point, but with Chris Nolan and David Goyer working with him, Jonathan Nolan might actually do good. There have been a lot of first time directors that have made great films (sometimes their first film tends to be their best actually), so hopefully this will do well. Besides, out of all the current working directors out there, I'm not sure if any of them would do justice to Superman.

But I totally agree with you on Chuck. I'd rather they go with an unknown actor, but if you're going to use someone known, especially from television, you might as well get Tom Welling.

9. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

I'd rather take a chance on Jonathan Nolan than go with Chris Columbus, who's a very meh to bleh director.

10. Bat-Fan Beyond

I with you on that.

11. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

Chris Nolan way of doing movies is putting his mark on the franchise like he did with Batman. I bet he will not choose an actor from a previous franchise for his movie, so Tom Welling is out, I think.

He will probably cast someone somewhat known but not so much, that will do good in his casting test, just like it was for Christian Bale.

12. Bat-Fan Beyond

Yeah, I know that -- but I'm making the point that if you're going to go with a television actor, Zachery Levy is a heck of a lot less suitable than the guy WB already has as Superman.

13. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Moviehole has an update on those rumorsa. Looks like Nolan is closing in to direct and they're still looking at a well-known TV star to headline:

http://www.moviehole.net/201025509-exclusive-about-those-superman-rumours

14. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

hmm. they want a tv star for superman? i suggested this a while ago, and since his tv show is canceled, i think he has some time availible before he starts shooting the second movie where he already plays another iconic role:

[​IMG]

15. Bat-Fan Beyond

Not a totally bad choice -- I can see where you're going with it -- but as much as I thought Brandon Routh kind of gave off a creepy factor (especially with him being a peeping tom and all), I think Sylar/Spock would definitely up the ante and make Superman way too "alien" for people.

But I think I'd totally embrace Quinto as Brainiac.

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yea Quinto is not a choice that I would go with. He gives off a creep vibe and that would not work for Superman.

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

This is too big of a movie for someone inexperienced to test their mettle on, in my opinion. I like Chris Columbus, for his pre-Harry Potter movies really, but this stuff is definitely not his forte. I've still got my fingers crossed that Routh might get another chance though. I'd really love to see how he'd do in another director's take on Superman but I guess they can't really risk a franchise on something like that. They might be really eager to clear the entire slate after Superman Returns.

18. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Going to copy from Superman Homepage here:

Witty dialogue and Nathan Fillion? Sign me up.

19. Bat-Fan Beyond

Nathon Fillion as Superman? Sorry, I love the dude, but not for Superman.

My wife says Jon Hamm, but again, great actor, but not right for Superman.

Besides, both these guys are too old.

Tom Welling please. I don't care if it's not related to Smallville -- I'd prefer it not to be -- but that doesn't mean the same guy can't play the same character in two different franchises.

Who else on TV is a possible fit?

20. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Oh man, Zachary Quinto as Brainiac? That's such a great idea and they totally need to pounce on it.

As for Superman... I dunno, it's tough to find anyone who's very "Supermannish." I'll keep an open mind about it, though, because I'd imagine the best Superman is the one you'd least expect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.