1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman" Sequel Pre-Release Discussion, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Look right here for all your questions, concerns, and scoops on the upcoming Superman sequel! This thread will be updated as new information becomes available, and please remember to stay on-topic, please.

[​IMG]
    For the latest news and scoops on the next Superman sequel/movie, check out the newest posts in this thread!

Related Discussion:
    -Superman Returns Talkback (Spoilers)

Note #1: Discussion continued from Official "Superman" Sequel News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers).
    Note #2: Please keep this thread, and the discussion found within, ON-TOPIC. Warnings will be issued, if necessary. This thread is to discuss future Superman movies, so please STAY ON TOPIC!

2. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Would the movie be released in 2012 if they do reboot it?

3. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

The original superman movie didn't get the origin right because krypton was cold and lifeless. Brando phoned in that performance. It could've been touching, but instead we got a guy rattling off meaningless speeches. When krypton went up in flames, who gave a crap? In the animated series, krypton was a warm and comforting place. Kal-el's parents loved him and eachother. When they put their son in the rocket and sent him to earth you cared that they died as they were good hearted people.

Lex was treated as a joke.

The lois lane-superman romance was nice, except for the "can you read my mind" stuff. Hokey!

The reboot needs to go back to good sound storytelling. Strip superman of much of his power. He can still be powerful, but not god like. The more the hero struggles, the more heroic he is. I never got the sense in superman: the movie that superman struggled against anything, and the turning back time thing only compounded that problem.

While Darkseid isn't as well known as lex, he could definitely carry a movie on his own.

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i hear the world is supposed to end that year. maybe that would be some motivation to get the next superman movie going. get it out before no one can see it. ;)
    yeah, i would look to see a krypton more like in the comics/animate series. the donner krypton is "boring". you really didn't see much of a civilization that's supposed to be more advanced than ours.
    the last thing i want in a superman film is superman to have "problems". he's superman, he's not supposed to have "problems". if you want him to have "problems", he now has a son, and the only way to give superman "problems" in a film is to do a sequel.

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I wouldn't mind seeing a Superman reboot, nor would I mind seeing a more stylized version of Krypton, but please, please, please don't make the next film another re-telling of Supes' origin. Everyone already knows who Superman is, where he comes from and what he can do. Just start the next film with that assumption.

6. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

I agree. People already know the story of Superman, why do it again?

7. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

They only ever did it once.

8. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

It's been seventy years. Everybody knows the important details.

9. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Thats not fair man. Its way too early for the world to end.We haven't even seen a proper justice league movie out yet.

10. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

So! What better way to say, "this has nothing to do with the previous films" then to do a good origin story, one that has interesting characters and that has pathos.

11. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

By not using the same cast and explicitly showing it is not the same continuity. So often do these films become trapped in origin stories that the latter days of their lives are never touched up.

12. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

The origin story connects the audience with the hero emmotionally. Plus, if you do an origin story and later connect it with a villain, like the animated series did with Brainiac it helps a lot.

what do you mean the latter days of their lives?

13. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Latter days: for example, Kal-L's latter days were spent as Daily Star EiC and happily married to Lois. Now, I'm not saying we need straight up 50 year olds, but late thirties/early forties (plus married to Lois) would be a lot more interesting to see. How does Clark's life look? His personal life is probably blissfully frustrating and colored by his journalistic competition and team work with the wife (and truthfully I'd prefer to see the ability for Kryptonians and humans to mate kept) while his life as a hero has its own challenges. As seen in Superman IV, Superman was made a fighter for some cause. What if this rebooted Superman held the belief that he should inspire the world to solve it's own problems (i.e. regfraining from interfering). Surely a man with such power would instinctively recognize that he shouldn't use his powers as a magic Easy Button.

And for goodness' sake, do something useful with Lois. She and Clark are a team, she provides the out of the box thinking that leads to finding the truth (and getting them in hot water) and Clark provides the more down to Earth, reserved (not push over Reeves) thinking. Then there's that little ability of his to get them out of the hot water they get into. It's a partnership, even if it is a little...Indy and Marion. I think it works and would at least give Joe Public two equally charismatic and fun to watch on screen characters.

As opposed to SR's gloom-fest.

Heck, I'd like to see the political and military aspect of having such a powerful being in the spotlight. How would other nations--particularly ones not fond of America--act when they know such a powerful being might interfere.

14. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

To me, an origin story is just kind of pointless since people already know about Supes' past. The best way would be to do it in the style of All-Star Superman, where his entire origin was told within one page, four panels, and eight words. Thus, the origin is given without wasting too much time in the movie.

15. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

it's a different medium and the rules of storytelling are different. Everyone knows batman's origin story, but do you say the same thing about Batman Begins? What makes Superman so different?

16. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

If you say married one more time, so help me Zod... <shakes fist menacingly>. :p

Although I don't think it would work particularly well, I actually kind of agree that it would at least be sort of interesting to see a more mature Superman. I think Reeve played the part with maturity well beyond his years, but both Routh and (brrrr) Cain came across almost as teenagers. If you're going to have an immature Superman, then give us a 19-20 year old Superman just starting out. One who's perhaps a little less disciplined, a little less experienced, but who might be a breath of fresh air, even if they'll be veering slightly into Spidey territory.

Much too heavy. Superman needs to get back to being an action hero. That's really the core of the character. All the heavy stuff is better left for the comics.

17. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

the thing i like about darkseid being a villain is that it shows superman what he could become if he allows himself to.

Lex is great because while superman can punch it out with the . I'd also like to see lex as a politician instead of the corrupt business man. I'm tired of seeing business men villifed and think that superman vs. the evil politician is an interesting dynamic.

Deeper issues than just an action hero are fine, but if you bog it down too much into that stuff then you become pedantic and it's no longer entertaining. I don't go to movies to think. I like a movie to be engaging on many levels including intellectually, but that's not what makes a great film.

18. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

My Superman movie thoughts

- If they do a reboot, make it an origin story. But only if this origin will have a creative direction different from the Donner's and Singer's movies.

- I don't agree with the "He's been around for 70 years, we all know who he is". Batman was already around 70 years when Batman Begins was out and we know how it felt nice to see Batman's origin done right. Let's do the same with Superman.

People know Superman basics, but not exactly what makes him tick. Superman is also a character that have became somewhat dated. To update his character for nowadays you have to have an origin reboot story.

- Despite the comics now being more like the Donner's movie, do the Man of Steel story. I don't care if DC discarded that as the official origin. It's the best origin Superman could have. It was the main inspiration for Superman The Animated Series and we all know how it turned out to be incredible.

- If you are doing an origin reboot with a different creative direction, don't get rid of Lex. He is much more important for Superman than, for instance, Joker is for Batman. If done right, Lex should have his role in every Superman movie.

As I stated suggesting Man of Steel comic series, the best thing DC have ever done in recent years was to turn Lex into a corporate tycoon. I would go further, make Lex US president in a sequel. Let's see Superman struggling between his patriotic feels and his ideals of justice.

- If you are going to make Lex the land scheme buffoon, please, never show him again.

- Make Superman less powerful. Not Justice League Animated series first season weakling, but make more things hurt him and slow him down.

- Do the Lois and Clark TV series relationship between, uh, Lois and Clark. The TV show was inspired by John Byrne's run. Make Clark struggling between his love of Lois and his idealism of not using the Superman persona to conquer Lois' love.

- Use Metallo or the Superman clone version of Bizarro as the muscle power for Luthor. Metallo is closely tight up with the origin of the only Kryptonite piece of the planet. And the Superman clone Bizarro is closely tight up with Lex discovering Superman is an alien.

- I love the idea of Superman only discovering he is from Krypton in the end of the Man of Steel comic series. I would do that in the movie as well. It would be a very interesting climax, Superman getting help of the Jor-El's hologram to work around his Kryptonite weakness.

-----------

I hope Warchowski Bros are fan of the Post-Crisis version of Superman and do their take on Superman.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I'm really hoping for a reboot (the producers just painted themselves into a corner with Superman Returns, and I honestly don't see any viable way for them to get out of it; the franchise would be a mess if they tried to continue it from there), but I'd rather not see Supes' origins reiterated again, unless we can get something really spectacular and a vision of Krypton that was nothing like the cold lifeless rock that the Donner films gave us.

But we've never seen Batman's origins retold in a major motion picture prior to Batman Begins. We've already seen a 3-hour Big Blue origin story with Superman: The Movie. Unless we can get something truly new and different this time around, I'd rather they skip all of that and just get down to business.

I disagree. Lex is a great villain for Supes, sure, but I don't think every Superman film should be 'Superman VS Luthor', any more than every Batman movie should be 'Batman VS Joker' or every Fantastic Four movie should be 'the FF VS Dr. Doom'. There are a whole plethora of baddies for Clark to go up against, it shouldn't be Luthor all the time. Heroes who fight the same villain all the time get long in the tooth really fast for me.

This I agree with. Give the man some dignity for crying out loud. I'd personally like to see billionaire corporate mogul Lex used in a movie. That was his coolest iteration to me.

20. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

That's exactly what I thought. If you have a fresh take on Superman, starting telling this take from his origin. It will make the story more cohesive and interesting.

Superman: The movie is a 30 years old movie. Superman changed a lot since that time. Again, if your the take on Superman is so fresh that diverts a lot from the Donner movie, do another origin.

I don't agree that an origin and getting down to business are mutually exclusive concepts. You can have an origin story that still will have plenty of action and an interesting plot.

Lex is more important for Supes than the other arch enemies are for the other heroes.

If you do a reboot origin story, Lex has to be the main villain with hired muscles like Metallo or Bizarro. In the sequel, Brainiac could be the main villain, but Lex should appear behind the curtains. In the third make Darkseid invading Earth and Lex helping Superman to defeat the Apokolips invaders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.