1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman Returns" Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jun 28, 2006.

?

Rate "Superman Returns" and Post Your Comments

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

25.8%
  3. ****

28.1%
  4. ***1/2

4.7%
  5. ***

6.3%
  6. **1/2

4.7%
  7. **

4.7%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. "WRONG!"

0.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MR.MXYZPTLK

MR.MXYZPTLK Mild Mannered Reporter

I found this on superman homepage reguarding Superman lifting new krypton

Q: How was Superman able to lift the landmass into space? Why did he pass out and fall to earth? A: Knowing that the ever-growing landmass and Lex's possession of more Kryptonian crystals would (as Lex boasted) be the death of billions of people, Superman knew that, despite the danger to himself, he had to rid the world of the deadly landmass. Relying on willpower, determination, and the extra yellow solar radiation he used to recover from being stabbed with Kryptonite, Superman lifted the landmass out of the water by diving underneath it, below the seabed, putting layers of normal earth rock between him and the deadly kryptonite. However, as he lifted it skyward, chunks of earth fell away, and the landmass continued to grow, exposing the Kryptonite. As the exposed Kryptonite wracked his body with pain and ebbed his powers, Superman used every ounce of his strength, carried the landmass on his shoulders, and with the last of his failing life-force threw it into space.

2. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

I said the exact same thing a few pages back. I can't believe anybody was confused about this issue at all. There's a much bigger question mark over who was yelling what when Superman had the snot kicked out of him. It sounds like Routh is yelling "I'm still Superman", but the French subbed version says it's "I'm killing Superman", suggesting it's the thug that's yelling, which seems to make more sense, but some even claim to have heard Superman say something along the lines of "they were a gift from my father", apparently referring to the crystals!? Any thoughts?

3. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Just thought I'd bump this to say that a week or two back, SR passed BB in international grosses and has been holding incredible in america the last few weeks. It will now probably see $200 million domestic yet.

4. MR.MXYZPTLK

YAY! It certanly deserves it!

5. A.J

A.J Active Member

Is there any chance for a secuel of SR??? Any info about it?

6. MR.MXYZPTLK

WB and Legendary Pictures are on board for a sequel. The head of WB said he was very happy with SR. There will be a sequel.

7. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

As of this week, Superman Returns has made a domestic box-office gross of $199,018,781. Does anyone think there a chance the movie will make it to $200 million before it leaves theatres (or at least by its' DVD release in November)?

8. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

It might be possible but I don't think so.

9. MR.MXYZPTLK

I'm hoping so. I'm still annoyed about Superman Returns box office results :sad: Here's hoping the sequel makes more! :)

10. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

Welling for Supes...Rosenbaum for Lex...Durance for Lois. Sorry I had to. :evil:

11. MR.MXYZPTLK

I don't really think the Smallvile casting would work for a movie if thats what you mean. I've never really liked Tom Welling as Supes, and Rosenbaum is far too young and doesn't seem civilised. Though, I do like Durance as Lois a whole lot more than Bossworth:shrug:

12. PeterFries

PeterFries Active Member

Ugh. Hopefully that was a sick joke.

13. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

SUPERMAN RETURNS HAS PASSED $200 Million Domestic!

FRI: 49,018 -21%
    SAT: 77,897 -19%
    SUN: 46,385 -20%
    wkend: 173,300 -20%
    Cume to Date 200,006,305
    :evil:
    Mwa ha ha ha ha! Sequel, here we come.

14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The studio has confirmed the numbers! The Bryan Singer-directed summer movie Superman Returns has finally passed the $200 million mark this weekend, earning $173,000 to bring its total to $200,006,305 after 117 days in release. The film has brought in about $190 million overseas for a worldwide total of $390 million.

Passing the mark was crucial for the movie, as Warner Bros. stated they would green light a sequel if it hit $200 million domestically.

So, any thoughts on the movie finally passing the crucial $200 million mark a mere month before it is scheduled to hit DVD? Will they actually greenlight a sequel?

15. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

As far as I know, sequel speculation in relation to the $200 million figure was caused by some confused TMZ blogger, and it was not a statament from the studio. In fact, they confirmed their commitment to a sequel long ago, and it would have made no difference if the movie had ended up at 198 or 200 million.

They need to take long, hard look at what went wrong before they get underway with the sequel. If the next movie doesn't do considerably better, that will probably be that for Singer's Superman vision. That is, if he's even doing the sequel.

16. PeterFries

PeterFries Active Member

What went wrong is that Warner Brothers wasted tens of millions and a decade and a half trying to develop a new Superman movie. Singer's movie was Shakespeare compared to any of the other high profile and expensive scripts that were in preproduction since the early 90s. Gilroy's Superman Lives script for Tim Burton finally leaked out recently, and was only marginally better than Kevin Smith's awful script -- the character of Superman sure dodged a Kryptonite bullet with that one; I actually think that movie may have ended the viability of the entire property. Factor in that the previous Superman movies dropped off precipitously in quality, even moreso than the Bat-movies (probably because they started that franchise at such a low quality level to begin with; the bar wasn't very high).

X-Men 3 beat Superman Returns to the box office, and that pirate movie thing came out just after it. I'm not really sure what they could have done about either of those factors, other than holding Superman Returns back for the holiday season or something.

It's still the fifth highest grossing movie of this year, domestically and has already taken in more than Batman Begins did at the box office. It seems to have disappointed people who wanted it to make more money than anything but it really didn't do all that badly.

17. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

It's nice to know this film passed the 200 mill mark, but it's still really disappointing considering how big Supes is. Hell, it couldn't even beat Batman domestically (it's been proven international numbers are pretty much useless to the studios).

The ol' gang is coming back I'm sure, as Singer and Horn both relayed the info a sequel would be released in '09. That's 3 years time to get things straight. While the film did moderately well, it didn't make back it's budget (204 mill). The likely scenario is WB will go for a lower budget in hopes to compensate for the first film's numbers. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Imo, the 204 could've been easily cut down an extra 20 mill or so. Take into account a whole 10 million dollar sequence cut out from the film, and Singer's needless overspending of sets and props that barely had any significance to the film, and you can how living a dream can blur your focus.

Superman is Singer's dream, I get that. But he needs to get back on track, clearly the freedom of money got to his head. Instead, put that money into where it's needed the most...Superman. SR showcased a few really good iconic shots, but they lacked the "wowness" factor, asides from the airplane sequence. The sequel has the added pressure of putting more behind the punch, so obviously action is a must now. They can't risk another bore-fest for the summer season.

18. PeterFries

PeterFries Active Member

How big is Supes, exactly? His comics barely sell at all anymore, his character gets 'reimagined' about every half decade now, with particularly desperate-seeming reinventions or publicity stunts in the 90s ("He's Dead!" "No, wait, now there's four of him!" "He's married!" "He's electric!" "Now there's two of him!"), the toy license was a huge bomb for Hasbro, it was apparently a gigantic struggle for dozens of directors and writers to come up with a story worth filming with him since the 80s, his TV series bring in mediocre ratings and still he's amazingly overexposed.

I'm confused about why people ever thought this movie would make 700 million dollars or something.

19. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

They saw how much the Spider-Man movies made, probably.

I hope that if the same crew are back for the sequel, we get a story that doesn't stop half way through the feature and a much, much better villain. Superman doesn't have anywhere near the number of quality rouges that Batman and Spider-Man do, so this sequel could be tricky. A little more effort will be needed for this one.

20. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Ah, but the amount of money SR made may suggest otherwise. Ah, well. I guess that we'll find out. I'd love one. Lets see Singer really cut loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.