1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman Returns" Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jun 28, 2006.

?

Rate "Superman Returns" and Post Your Comments

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

25.8%
  3. ****

28.1%
  4. ***1/2

4.7%
  5. ***

6.3%
  6. **1/2

4.7%
  7. **

4.7%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. "WRONG!"

0.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to Part I of the ongoing discussion on Superman Returns! Click here to read Part II!

Look Up In The Sky
    [​IMG]
    "Even though you've been raised as a human being you're not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son." - Jor-El
    Release Date: June 28, 2006 (With June 27th Midnight Showings)
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Bryan Singer
    Screenwriter: Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris
    Starring: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, James Marsden, Frank Langella, Eva Marie Saint, Parker Posey, Sam Huntington, Kal Penn, Kevin Spacey

Plot Summary: Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

Visit the official movie site here.

Comments?

After almost a decade and years of development hell, The Man of Steel returns to the big screen (and the bigger screen) with Bryan Singer at the helm.

"Does he still stand for truth, justice... all that stuff?"

Related Threads:
    -Superman Returns DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman Returns Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman Returns: The Official Movie Adaptation Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman Returns: The Prequels Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman: The Movie Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman II/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman III Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman IV: The Quest For Peace Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Supergirl Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Look! Up In The Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman Documentary Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: View Part II of this discussion thread!

2. sdp

sdp miscrave

According to the official site my Imax should have a screening at 10 PM today and also in 3d, but I called and they said no 3d and no movie till tomorrow :(

I don't know if i"ll go tomorrow or just wait for friday, a 'midnight' show adds to the experience, oh well.

3. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

I have not seen this movie since here in Chicago it comes out on the 27 of June.
    From what I read in Chicago Tribune the reviewer only gave it **+ stars.
    He said that there wasn't much action,and the similar plot with Lex Luthor was already done before with Christopher Reeve as Superman.
    I also heard there is a sequel in the works, it will be coming in 2009. :sweat:

4. Daredevil_2003

Daredevil_2003 The Man Without Fear

Oh.....my....God....

That was, byfar, one of, if not the best movies I have ever seen in my life. No BS. The whole thing was just...

Wow...

Superman Returns = F'in AMAZING!!!

**********1/2

5. LazyReaper

LazyReaper I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?

I just came back from the early midnight screening and it was just excellent! I literally have no complaints about this movie at all. The story was great, the action and effects just flat out rocked, and Kevin Spacey and Brandon Routh were just so brilliant. Superman Returns was just an amazing movie from start to finish. I'm still on such a high buzz from seeing it that I'm pretty much speechless about what else to say. I just know that I can't wait to see it again :D :D

5 out of 5 stars

6. Gpoliceman

Gpoliceman Member

Hello

I just returned from the 10pm screening here in Southern Florida.

My theater was packed.

My theater audience clapped like five times during the movie. Once at the opening credits, once at the closing credits, and like three times during the course of the movie everytime Superman did something "super".

I will be seeing this movie again on Friday. Here are my initial thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt because the first time I see a movie my opinion usually doesn't match up with what I think after repeated viewings.

of the new, post 2000 superhero movies:
    Batman Begins is the best
    Spiderman 2
    Spiderman
    Superman Returns
    X-Men 2
    X-Men 3
    X-Men 1
    and then every superhero movie after that is either okay or plain sucks.

That's how I would rate them, right now.

Some PROS:
    -It FELT like Superman. It felt like the filmmakers were Superman lovers, respected the comic, knew the comic by heart, and wanted to treat fans with the respect they deserve. From start to finish, I completely accepted this movie as a faithful, told-from-the-heart "Superman" movie. It wasn't one of those superhero films were I spent most of my time thinking to myself "this is not how it should be", "they got this wrong", "this is not true to the spirit of the comic", etc.
    -Lex and Superman's confrontation was brutal. I really liked it. Though I am a fan of the comic and the animated series (S:TAS), I didn't mind at all that this Lex had his moments of whimiscal comic relief. Perhaps the Luthor of the animated series is too one-note, always stone-cold, always cruel, always a stiff meanie. So I definitely liked this version of Lex. He was a good balance between the way-too-comical Lex (Hackman) and the way-too-evil Lex.
    -Speaking of characters, I thought all the characters, from Perry to Jimmy, to Lois, to Clark, to Superman were spot on. Brandon Routh did great. I immediately accepted him as the new Superman.
    -A lot funnier than I expected it to be.

Some CONS:

-I agree the movie had very little action. It felt like the bank robbery scene was thrown in there for no apparent reason other than to give the movie some more action. For me, being a huge fan of Superman, I could care less about this. It's the character I care about seeing, not a string of action scenes connected together (which was what X-Men 3 was essentially). But for someone who is a non-fan of Superman, I could see Superman Returns being completely boring to them.

SPOILERS:

-Though I like how Bryan Singer did not erase the history of Superman I and Superman II, with Chris Reeves, I saw Superman Returns with a friend who knew nothing about those two movies, and he was lost. He didn't understand at all how Superman and Lois could have a kid together, nor did he understand the crystals in the Fortress of Solitude and their role.

So all in all, great movie, worth seeing. However, there were some cons, most of them being worse for a non-fan of Superman than a fan. For a non-fan of Superman, Superman Returns could be confusing (the movie is not accessible, you have to watch Superman I and II first) and somewhat boring (very little action, focuses on Lois and Clark's relationship 80% of the time).

Greg

7. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

definately the greatest movie of the year. definately one of the greatest comic book films of all time. definately the right way for superman to return to the big screen. definately the WRONG ENDING. that is my major beef with this movie. i have no problem with jason being superman's son, but i really really thought he was going to get killed off near the end. i came across some speculation that in the hospital scenes, superman needed to get a blood transfusion and jason was the only person who had similar blood type and sacrifice his life to save superman's.

the missing scenes most have known about were definately missed by me. the whole return to krypton seqence being cut was mind boggling for me. this is the reason why superman left earth and where he comes back from. couldn't we have seen something from his trip back to krypton? i was also dissapointed in the loss of ben hubbard's scenes. i knew his scenes were cut, but when i saw james karen's name in the opening credits i expected to see something (driving away in a truck and saying goodbye doesn't count). i hope to see the imax version really soon. i know we're supposedly getting the complete return to krypton scenes, but are ALL cut scenes going to be put back in (yes i know, the whole reason scenes are cut is so you dont get a 3 hour movie)? bryan, give us EVERYTHING on the dvd. don't let your "complete cut" go unreleased and end up something like donner's superman ii.

regardless, this is the tip of the iceberg. superman is now back. we don't need a returns story and things can get going now. i just have no idea how they're going to do it. unless the sequel will take place immediately after returns and will be the second part of this one story. i felt there wasn't much closure.

this movie is going to be huge. a large amount of people had some kind of superman shirt and a few people wore some capes as well. i was surprised that i was the only one dressed up like clark kent. oh, and the 10 pm show time was SOLD OUT. i stayed through the entire credits in hope in seeing something to let us know that a sequel was coming, like the first movie did. but there was nothing. ok, we all know its coming, but official confirmation is good!

i don't know how many stars to give it. i really want to give this 5 stars. but its not a five star movie :crying: (the ending lowered "star points"). its somewhere between 4 and 4 and a half. let me think about this one.

8. Eddie G.

Eddie G. Former Wolf/Writer.

I just got back from the midnight showing and I loved it. This is not an action film at all. I mean Superman beats Lex b yinspiring others. The film is more a film essay on why the world needs a Superman. Not why the fictional world created by the movie needs Superman, but why we need the concept of Superman. For what it is, it's amazing and is a truly original take on the story that nails the essence of Superman. There were tons of moments where my mouth was just wide and my eyes were open. I haven't been so awe inspired by a film since The Incredibles.

There are also tons of Christ references which work well.

Honestly I'm just excited about this movie. A lot of the people in the theater were groaning and some walked out towards the end, but I kept mouthing, "awesome" to how beautiful the film was.

If the film has any flaws, it could have gone more into Superman's saving people. We get some good scenes of him saving others including a visual homage to the cover of Action Comics #1, but I could do with more. Martha also should have been in more of the film.

Lex's plot unlike some reviews have said is pretty badass when you really take in what he's doing. The problem is that the film never really shows how badass what he's doing is. If they had showed him create some technology out of the crystals like he said he could that would have been a lot better.

The movie's also really funny, like really funny. I'm still so excited about it that I want to see it again. You will be a better person for watching this movie.

9. ZorBrak

ZorBrak I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.

Ouch. Letdown.

This was truly, 80s superman with modern techniques and a flat story. I find that a bad thing.
    Why?

"Poorly made?" No.
    "Bad acting?" No.
    "Off character?" Except for Luthor (Strike 1)... No.
    "Cinematography?" GREAT.
    "Bad Dialogue?" Nope.
    "Bad pacing?" Yes.
    "Story?" What story? (Strike 2 AND 3)

I enjoyed many parts, and there is definitely quality in the product... but somethings are off to me. One or two things in particular are almost too far from the mythos for me to forgive, but I won't "spoil" it... The way Luthor was written was campy... the lack of character development...the pacing...

I, feel that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for this incarnation of Superman to share a screen with Nolan's Batman...and if it happens anyway.. ouch.

This is Singer's take, not mine. Everyone has their own personal mythos to Superman I think. I simply do not find this incarnation very fascinating. Give me Timm Supes anyday. I wanted to enjoy this movie, really I did, and some of the scenes are amazing... but this is all flash and very little substance (and most of that being recycled) coated in cheese... :(

PS Rosenbaum is a better Luthor by leaps and bounds. Sorry.

on a brighter note, the Spidey 3 trailer really has me pumped.

#9 ZorBrak, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  10. maximumzero

maximumzero A Custom What Now?

Finally, for once someone stops orgasming over this film and looks at it for what it is.

To me, it felt like there was a good movie in there, or at least pieces of one, but it never did quite "come together" into something that was extremely enjoyable.

11. Static

Static I put a shock to your system!

Well, I thought Superman Returns was tremendous. I just came back from the 10:00pm screening at my theater, and though some scenes dragged on a bit, I really have no complaints about it. For one, I didn't except the movie to be so funny. And I don't mean "oh man, this is so horrible and/or corny" funny, I just mean scenes that are genuinely funny. Like in the comic books or the old TV shows. Brandon Routh did an excellent job as the bumbling Clark Kent and really sold the role of Superman. Kevin Spacey balanced comedy and drama very well. I actually enjoyed everybody's role in the movie.

The effects were awesome. Though, I think I saw almost every action scene in the stupid trailers, so ... that made me mad. I don't care about the lack of action scenes because Superman's story is more important to me. I totally didn't see Jason being the son, either. At first, when Lex mentioned it, I thought "no way", but after seeing what he could do ... wow, was I wrong. Ha.

The overall feel and look of the movie blew me away. You could tell the filmmakers really loved and respected the Superman mythos. I'm so glad the Superman/Lois Lane struggle didn't drag on and this wasn't a 2 1/2 hour soap opera.

I'm so happy this movie didn't let me down like X-Men: The Last Stand. I'm anxiously waiting for the sequel in 2009.

12. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

I think there's more they could've done with Superman/Luthor and Superman/Lois, instead of just setting everything down until the sequel. Besides that, all good, but I need to see it a few more times to really wrap my head around it.

-Terminatah

13. Batman91

Batman91 Active Member

I really got to go to sleep,so I'll keep this short.I thought that Superman Returns just rocked.Just got back from the showing,the story was just awesome,especially that little twist that they put in there.Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor suprised me alot and Brandon Routh did a fantastic Clark/Superman and to top it off there was awesome effects polishing off very traditional Superman bits.A

14. Beyond Batman

Beyond Batman The Tomorrow Knight

Just got back from the 10PM show and I honestly don't know what kind of an opinion I have. I enjoyed every minute of it, but it was a tad different from the Superman I read in the comics. The movie was however very consistant with the two original movies.

From the moment the movie started, you could instantly tell it was going to be very reminiscint and homage-esque to the original Donner films.

I figured an origin tale wasn't necessary considering everyone already knows Superman's past and his arrival on earth. Good thing if you ask me. It allowed for the movie to jump right into the story.

There was a lot of humor, and in good taste. It wasn't campy-humor. Like someone said earlier... genuine humor.

The special effects, hands-down, were awesome. You really feel like your in Superman's front seat when he's flying around saving the day.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. Superman is a tough character to capture, but I feel like this movie gave him justice. It had a good balance of character development, action, and drama.

15. PeterFries

PeterFries Active Member

It's a beautiful, haunting film about love, loss and sacrifice. A strange mix of vague sequel and updated reimagining, and yet with a totally original take on the characters and mythology. I can't wait to see it again.

Liked the sly mention of Gotham City.

16. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

Now that i'm up

i saw the 10:00 show also

Few Points

Story Great
    Liked Kevin Spacy as Lex
    Liked Brandon Roth as Superman ( So Glad it wasn't Nick Cage who signed on in '98)

Bad
    Was a 2 1/2 lead up to a sequal supposly as stated b4 here in 2009
    pobley could hae used more action

overall as being 28 and seeing Christpher Reeve as Superman it was werid i copmpared him to Roth alot and that may of been distracing ( I never like compared Adam West to Micheal Keaton or Georgeclooney or Val Kilmer or the new guy who i forgot his name). But i reall enjoyed the film i'd give it a
    *** 1/2 to ****

17. The Clown Prince

The Clown Prince My God carries a big Hammer
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, got back from the 10:00pm showing. I'm glad I lowered my expectations because I think I would have come away really disappointed had I kept them high. Overall I did enjoy it. I really did. I was underwhelmed that's for sure. There was barely any story and no real plot. Just a "story" of his return and the world's reaction to it with a side story of Lex hell bent on a steroid induced real estate scheme that was already done in the original film.

Brandon Routh made a great Clark Kent/Superman. Kevin Spacey was great too as was Sam Huntington has Jimmy. But I still have to complain that Kate Bosworth was miscast in this. Way too young. But she made it work and I can't complain anymore.

The "New Krypton" idea was pretty cool, but to use it as a "real estate" style plot was too much. However now that Superman carried a still growing New Krypton into space, that leaves some possiblitlies for future sequels.

As was mentioned the missing return to Krypton scene was really missed in this. And again, already mentioned, but I agree, it was the reason he left Earth. So why couldn't we see it? Singer said he would like to return in the scene in a future version of the DVD but wasn't sure if it would make the first DVD release. To that I say B.S. That scene has to be put back in.

There was a promo shot of a scene in the movie when Clark is back at the farm. He is reading a giant book of some sort in what looks like the barn. That certainly wasn't in there. In fact, the whole return to the farm scene felt a bit too short, and I thought there might be more flashback scenes. Also missing was a shot in the trailer of him opening his drawer or suitcase to reveal the suit from what I thought was the first time he saw the suit after being back. Also, supposedly Hugh Jackman filmed a brief cameo as a young Johnathan Kent in a flashback scene that obviously wasn't in the movie. And the Martha Kent and Ben Hubbard scenes were missed as well, but Singer was more favorable he said in a recent interview to put that one back in for the DVD release this fall.

Anyways, this was a good way to give the franchise a jump start after 19 years. The sequel HAS to have more action. I'll give it a pass on this one since the film makers wanted to start in light and then pick it up for later films.

It's taboo among die hards and purists I'm sure, but it took balls, and guts to give Superman a son. But I thought it was a good way to further humanize what is essentially a god like character. It's hard to write this character I'm sure, and this leaves a lot of fun and neat ideas for further movies. Nice touching scene towards the end where Superman gives a sleeping Jason the same speech that Jor-el gave.

Look for some of these Easter Eggs I caught that I haven't seen mentioned...

*The mentioning of the name "Gotham" in a news report telling where Superman has been all over the world.

*The original actor for Pa Kent in the original Superman is shown in a picture on the fireplace mantle in the Kent farm house.

*Look for the Braniac symbol on the microphone of an unseen reporter when Lois and Jason walk out of the hospital as she is bombarded with reporters.

*Screenwriters Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty have a quick cameo as the two that were told by Lex's goons that the museum was closed.

Also, Bryan Singer said that they added so much detail in this movie, that not all of it would show up on film. Meaning it was filmed, but probably wouldn't be made out. Example: Singer said that on one of the walls in the Daily Planet, they had a front page of a paper tacked to a wall that had the headline "Mysterious Bat-like Creature in Gotham."

And I did catch some of the Christ like references as someone mentioned above.

Hearing the Superman theme music in a theater was just beyond cool. I really enjoyed that. I was surprised, but pleased at how often they had the theme playing in through out the movie.

Most of the Brando stuff was recycled dialogue from the first film.

And favorite Donnor homage... the final shot in the movie of Superman flying into space, Brandon Routh's Superman then turns and looks into the camera and smiles and flies off camera. End of movie. Just like the original Donnor movie. Just too cool.

The Clown Prince

18. JKDilla

JKDilla Member

The movie was enjoyable, but it's not the epic some of the Hollywood trade mags made it out to be. My major issue is the lack of chemistry between Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth. It wasn't there. I think Routh was good enough to sell me on the boyscout side of Superman, but it ends there. He needs a little more charisma. Bosworth just wasn't fiesty enough to be Lois. I'm supposed to believe she harbors all these grudges against Superman and I didn't feel it in her performance. I had issues of Supes fathering a child out of wedlock... because seems out of character for a responsible icon like Superman. But there was that part where he nailed Lois in the Fortress of Solitude when he gave up his powers(Superman 2). I think that was a big issue for Lois to deal with and its neglected totally in the film. Also, I understand thsi was a homage to Donner's Superman. But throughout the movie I felt like I was watching a recycled movie with some details changed here and there. The best performance was Frank Langella as Perry White. I work in broadcast news business and Langella totally reminds me of one of my old news directors. He nailed that part as a news editor! Although I'm not blown away by this movie, I can say the cinematography was excellent! What great visuals. And Superman lifting an entire island? That's what I wanted to see: A TRUE SUPERPOWERED BEING. I love how Singer truly made Supes mighty(and not in a cartoony way ie turning back time). When he lifted that island I thought to myself that's the Superman I've been waiting to see in live action.

19. Ben

Ben Wise Fool

Saw this last week and just finished my review.

Things I didn't have room for:

There really are A LOT of similarities with the original film. Luthor's plot is once again to create new beachfront property by killing tons of people, he once again (thank goodness!) has a stupid but ultimately good-hearted trophy female -- who once again distracts Superman by pretending to be in distress (Superman obviously doesn't possess super-intelligence). Once again the kryptonite comes from Addis Ababa. And once again the film ends with the flyby in space, and the wink at the camera (which made me cringe -- it was the only time the cg in the film looked obviously fake).

Singer's wonderful cinematic literacy is also back -- I loved the 2001 reference in the free-falling plane, where Lois reaches out for the pen. Using Brando's footage was also ingenious and worked wonders.

The score was a bit of a disappointment. The '78 film was one of the greatest film scores ever produced. This one, well, wasn't.

I agree that the ending had problems. I am glad they let the kid live -- it was a great way to bring the father-son element full circle (and opens up the possibility of Superboy joining the cast in the future!). My problem is with Superman's speech in his bedroom, which made absolutely no sense in the context of this new film, and with the aforementioned flyby.

But overall, very few complaints and it was the most fun I've had at an action movie since King Kong.

20. Frank White

Frank White R.I.P Notorious BIG

Good flick! I was literally in awe after the movie. It would have got a 5 if it had more action. Some points....

I thought Brandon Routh did a very good job as Superman, my only complaint is he lacked the charisma of other Supermen, his Superman was a more quiet figure who just flew around and saved people all the times, not the more public figure Superman of other incarnations.

Didn't really like Lois, she seemed kind of off. A review I read dismissed as "Lois has grown up and is a mother now", but even still she was just kind of off. Speaking of that...

Why the hell did Lois keep putting her child in danger?!?!

LOVED Lex, he seemed intelligent, sneaky, and just pretty evil, although I hope for the next film his schemes get a little more complex than just owning land. It'd still be nice to see the corporate genius Mr.Luthor. His henchman provided a lot of good comic relief too.

It would have been nice to have more Ma Kent in the movie.

I feel as though the film doesnt have a good climax. While lifting the island is cool, I would rather the climax have been an expanded scene of him having to save Metropolis, although I suppose that would have been too much like Superman The Movie.

Jimmy was good, although I didn't know he was on Clarks nuts like that.

Loved the Lois/Superman/Richard triangle. I honestly think in a way Richard knew it was over when Superman returned, Im curious to see where they go with this in the sequel.

Finally, the child I definitely didn't think they would have the balls to go there, bravo to Singer and company. I was shocked but I love it, its something thats never been done and theres so much you could do with it so bravo to Singer and WB for being brave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.