1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman Returns" Or "Man Of Steel"?

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by rggkjg1, Jun 14, 2014.

?

"Superman Returns" or "Man Of Steel"?

1. Superman Returns

50.0%
  2. Man Of Steel

50.0%
  1. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Well, I honestly really REALLY hoped someone else would have made this thread instead of me (forum regulars will know why).

Anyway, one year ago Man Of Steel was released to theaters. As the film was released, I most anticipated reading comments on the film on how it compared to the previous Superman film. What I noticed when I read comments was that usually someone who said they liked Man Of Steel (to whatever degree), thought it was better than Superman Returns. Meanwhile, people who didn't like Man Of Steel (to whatever degree) never said how it compared to the Superman movie that came before it. I've seen detailed comments/analysis on the film with multiple paragraphs on why someone didn't like it, and I've seen negative comments on the film all summed up with one sentence that got the point across.

This might be unnecessary to mention, but I asked a mod if I could do this thread a couple months ago and I was told it should be ok. I don't think a flame war will escalate, nor is it my intention to start one with posting this thread. I was most hesitant/reluctant to even post this since forum regulars most likely know where I stand, but I've been most curious on this particular matter for a year now and am honestly surprised no one else hasn't posted Superman Returns/Man Of Steel thread. Mods, please add any additional rules here if you feel it to be necessary.

So, lets get to it. What movie do you like more? What movie do you think is better? Which movie do you prefer? What movie do you dislike the least? Etc. Superman Returns or Man Of Steel?

2. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Superman Returns is one of the worst superhero films ever made.

Man of Steel was a good movie with some major flaws.

3. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

They're both so different its hard for me to choose one over the other. I'm a fan of both. I think there are pluses/minuses for both. Ultimately, it probably depends on what mood I'm in that would affect whether I'd pull one off my shelf to watch over the other.

I really love the feel and atmophere of Superman Returns. The pacing of it. I prefer the way it flows over Man of Steel.

With Man of Steel, I think Cavill was a better Superman, was glad they finally moved away from the Donner universe, and was glad to see Supes going up against a super-powered villain.

It's hard to say. I find myself leaning slightly toward SR, if I have to choose one right now.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Man of Steel for me. Superman Returns was just so very boring and dull. A Superman film with no punches or anything? If you had told me that would have happened, I would not have believed you. And Superman acting like a creepy stalker dad isn't cool. And Lex/kryptonite plot was boring, it had happened so many times.

5. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Neither movie is very good. Returns suffered from a stupid, meaningless plot and managed to get so many things horribly wrong, it's difficult to believe the film was approved with a budget as large as it had.

Man of Steel is a shallow attempt a Superman film which was clearly made in a boardroom rather than having a truly creative vision. I again feel it got more wrong than it did right, including a senseless murder scene and mass amounts of needless destruction. It's attempt to modernise Superman alienated the character in my opinion... Nothing about it is recognisable from the Superman I know of and unfortunately the changes they made don't improve the character, including his relationship with his Earth parents which again was so stupidly written its difficult to believe it was filmed.

So yes, they both have massive, massive problems. I would say Man of Steel is more fun to watch but I haven't seen it since I received the Blu Ray at Christmas. I would probably say they are both as bad as each other.

The best Superman movie, is still the Dick Donner cut of Superman II in my opinion.

6. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I enoyed Superman Returns. It was by no means great, but I enjoyed watching it. It have yet make it all the way through Man Of Steel. Whenever I try, I just don't like what I see. I don't feel like I'm watching Superman, not at all.

7. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

Agreed with everything you said, except the part about Superman II. The best live action Superman film? Yes, certainly. But as far as I'm concerned, the best Superman film of all time is the animated adaption of All Star Superman, as it is the only film based on the character that truly has him fulfill the role of "the super man," instead of merely a man with super powers but decisively average emotions and significant faults.

8. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

Superman Returns is an enjoyable movie to me, I love watching it whenever I get the chance
    Man of Steel is my favorite Superman movie,
    Comics and animated adaptions show a lot of destruction, it was only time before another big budget comic book movie show destruction
    It's a problem accompanying super powered fights, especially one man not trained to fight against a group of combat veterans